• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's a good way to not get elected, given that our electorate consists of selfish morons. But more than a few are running on taxing the shit out of the wealthy.
absolutely

the democrats being centre-right on economic policy by international standards is probably due to necessity, both because of an electorate that is quite far to the right and because of wealthy donors that prefer such policies

doesn't change the fact that they are centre-right on economic policy by international standards

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Its actually amazing how much effort posters put into the "DEMOCRATS ARE JUST EUROPEAN CONSERVATIVES"

***please only include specific economic polices and completely ignore all social polices" ***

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
You mean, like, pass it?

Democrats passed the ACA, gave millions of people health insurance, and created a foundation for future improvements such as increased subsidies and a public option. The electorate rewarded them by booting them from power. They've not been in a position to "do" anything to the ACA for over seven years.

When I detail how Democrats' stances on social issues refute the myth of their being "conservative," and you respond with "All social perspectives" and an explanation of Democrats' "right-wing" business policies, you imply that social issues have less import, yes.

But I'm not saying that. I'm explaining what people mean. You're the one going off on a rail about it. I think they're equally important but that we've had advances in the social side for a while until Trump and regression on the economic side for a while made worse by Trump. Parts of the country are already being declared equivalent to Third World status.

Also Dems gutted Obamacare before it could pass. Specifically, they gutted the public option because they were afraid it would cost them re-election. The country would've been better off if they weren't so afraid of losing their seats.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
absolutely

the democrats being centre-right on economic policy by international standards is probably due to necessity, both because of an electorate that is quite far to the right and because of wealthy donors that prefer such policies

doesn't change the fact that they are centre-right on economic policy by international standards
Donors are not to the right of the party on economics. (I think Sean McAlwee just did a thing on this.) The reason you get lower taxes and less social welfare spending is GOP dominance for the past half century. The people pulling policy to the right are the electorate and the Senate setup which overweights white rural America.
Also Dems gutted Obamacare before it could pass. Specifically, they gutted the public option because they were afraid it would cost them re-election. The country would've been better off if they weren't so afraid of losing their seats.
The public option was removed because a few Senators refused to vote for it and they needed 60 votes cause they didnt nuke the Fillibuster. And one of them wasnt even a Dem cause his party primaried his shitty ass. (Lieberman) It passed the actually-representative-of-the-caucus House just fine.

Know what you're talking about before you start blaming "The Dems".

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
But I'm not saying that. I'm explaining what people mean. You're the one going off on a rail about it. I think they're equally important but that we've had advances in the social side for a while until Trump and regression on the economic side for a while made worse by Trump. Parts of the country are already being declared equivalent to Third World status.

So are you going to move Texas and join the republicans in making up history for the next history textbook?

The ACA was watered down because Senators like Liberman declared that he would not vote for the bill if there was a public option, and he was the 60th vote needed to pass. The public option version of the ACA passed the House almost unanimously.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Donors are not to the right of the party on economics. (I think Sean McAlwee just did a thing on this.) The reason you get lower taxes and less social welfare spending is GOP dominance for the past half century. The people pulling policy to the right are the electorate and the Senate setup which overweights white rural America.

The public option was removed because a few Senators refused to vote for it and they needed 60 votes cause they didnt nuke the Fillibuster. And one of them wasnt even a Dem cause his party primaried his shitty ass. (Lieberman) It passed the actually-representative-of-the-caucus House just fine.

Know what you're talking about before you start blaming "The Dems".

I know how many people actually took part in it. They're part of the party still though.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I know how many people actually took part in it. They're part of the party still though.

So you are going to make up history in order for you to have a talking point? Especially considering many many Democratic representatives voted for the ACA knowing they would lose their seat. Which many did lose their seats.

So your shit about Democrats watering the ACA down to save their reelection is just that, Shit.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joe Lieberman was very much not part of the party.

And nice job admitting you're being disingenous here in order to smear the rest of them with the actions of a few. The next Dem trifecta needs to nuke the fillibuster to avoid a repeat, thankfully thats likely to happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
You have failed to actually demonstrate that so don't respond to me as if it's a given while also ignoring my refutations both to your original post and to your follow up.
i provided a measure (tax as percentage of GDP) and challenged anyone to find a better measure to disprove my claim

your counter-argument was little else than "nuh uh", and you didn't even engage with my point
It's really obvious and it ain't cute.
what are you even saying here?

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I generally like Sean McElwee, but his "proof" that Dem donors are to the left of the base used $200 as the floor for "large" donations, which speaks for itself.

Yes, you read that correctly, I didn't leave out a zero or two.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Donors are not to the right of the party on economics. (I think Sean McAlwee just did a thing on this.) The reason you get lower taxes and less social welfare spending is GOP dominance for the past half century. The people pulling policy to the right are the electorate and the Senate setup which overweights white rural America..

And the GOP answers to their donors.

The GOP was a Big Business party that thought it could control the evangelicals and dixiecrats better than their counterparts so they brought them into their party. Eventually, the inmates started running the asylum by 2010 maybe earlier if you want to believe what other say.

So right now we have an unholy fusion of Big Business, racists, religious fanatics and gun nuts as the opposition party.

The Democratic Party is a more controlled Big Business Party that purged itself of most of those elements. It's to the left of Reps on economics but not that much left.

Obama even said he'd have been a Republican in the 80's.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
i provided a measure (tax as percentage of GDP) and challenged anyone to find a better measure to disprove my claim

your counter-argument was little else than "nuh uh", and you didn't even engage with my point

If Democrats are just European conservatives, then why did Europe go through massive austerity during the Recession while the Democrats pumped government investment into various areas?

They should have done similar things if they were just Conservatives?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
this is an important point
i think the argument is that those senators refused to do it because their donors were against it

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if the usual Anti-Democratic party posters would actually find new material before shitting up another thread about the Democratic party?

Constantly rehashing and making up history regarding stuff like the ACA, European Conservatives and etc is old and tired. its been done a thousand times already, and has been debunked.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

My counter argument was asking you if you believed that Democrats not utilizing the slim filibister-proof majority that they held for less than a year to undo eight years of Republican tax policy while they were in the middle of scraping together the votes for healthcare reform was properly evidentiary of Democratic economic policy being center-right. To which you responded by moving on to a different talking point.

That you are choosing to make no substantive responses to my points and it isn't cute.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
It would be nice if the usual Anti-Democratic party posters would actually find new material before shitting up another thread about the Democratic party?

Constantly rehashing and making up history regarding stuff like the ACA, European Conservatives and etc is old and tired. its been done a thousand times already, and has been debunked.

I mean this is my thread to begin with.

There's the door, buddy.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the GOP answers to their donors.

The GOP was a Big Business party that thought it could control the evangelicals and dixiecrats better than their counterparts so they brought them into their party. Eventually, the inmates started running the asylum by 2010 maybe earlier if you want to believe what other say.

So right now we have an unholy fusion of Big Business, racists, religious fanatics and gun nuts as the opposition party.

The Democratic Party is a more controlled Big Business Party that purged itself of most of those elements. It's to the left of Reps on economics but not that much left.

Obama even said he'd have been a Republican in the 80's.
If you don't think that the Dems are substantially to the left of the GOP on economics you don't understand much about economics.
I mean this is my thread to begin with.

There's the door, buddy.
That you started with a deliberate "Democrat Party" in the title. Using a GOP/conservative slur.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If Democrats are just European conservatives, then why did Europe go through massive austerity during the Recession while the Democrats pumped government investment into various areas?

They should have done similar things if they were just Conservatives?
because many european countries had right-wing (on economic policy) governments at the time

italy, germany, france all had conservative governments. uk had a social democratic government that got thrown out after the conservatives won by spreading FUD about their attempts at stimulus, and when they came into power, the tories enacted harsh austerity policies

smaller countries in the eurozone were forced by the more powerful countries in the eurozone (that were controlled by people to the right economically) and institutions like the IMF into austerity, even though that was objectively bad policy

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome.

Get fucked Feinstein. California can do so much better than an ancient, self serving centrist with no real convictions.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
because many european countries had right-wing (on economic policy) governments at the time

italy, germany, france all had conservative governments. uk had a social democratic government that got thrown out after the conservatives won by spreading FUD about their attempts at stimulus, and when they came into power, the tories enacted harsh austerity policies

smaller countries in the eurozone were forced by the more powerful countries in the eurozone (that were controlled by people to the right economically) and institutions like the IMF into austerity, even though that was objectively bad policy

So explain why if Democrats are just like European Conservatives, that they addressed the Recession in completely opposite ways?

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
If you don't think that the Dems are substantially to the left of the GOP on economics you don't understand much about economics.

That you started with a deliberate "Democrat Party" in the title. Using a GOP/conservative slur.

??? The title says "Democratic Party" not Democrat Party. This is such a weird way to try to criticize someone.

How substantial something is can be relative. They're far closer to the GOP than they are to me.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
??? The title says "Democratic Party" not Democrat Party. This is such a weird way to try to criticize someone.

How substantial something is can be relative. They're far closer to the GOP than they are to me.
It does because I reported it and it was changed by a mod. And then you went and deliberately repeated the slur a second time when responding to Autodidact.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

i am not anti-democratic party

i would have voted for them if i were american (out of lack of a better choice in an FPTP system)

i'm just entering this topic from a political science perspective. properly placing the democratic party in an international context is not the same as hating on them. if you're unhappy with how they compare, maybe you should try to enact change from those in control rather than shoot the messenger?
My counter argument was asking you if you believed that Democrats not utilizing the slim filibister-proof majority that they held for less than a year to undo eight years of Republican tax policy while they were in the middle of scraping together the votes for healthcare reform was properly evidentiary of Democratic economic policy being center-right. To which you responded by moving on to a different talking point.
sure, because the american constitution is broken, i concede that they probably couldn't have done more

still, if you look at their proposed policies that they run on in elections, they really don't want to increase taxes all that much

Hillary ran on increasing taxes by roughly $50 billionsper year (yes i know, the source is conservative, but if anything that would mean they overstate how much she would increase taxes) per year which is less than half a percentage point of GDP

i did understate how much bernie would want to raise taxes though. reading into it more, it seems analysis suggested he would raise taxes by $1500 billions per year which corresponds to a tax increase of about 8 percentage points of GDP, which would move the US up to about the same level of tax/GDP ratio as the OECD average. so i guess a democratic party pushing for bernie level taxes could indeed be called centre-left on economic policy by international standards

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
i am not anti-democratic party

i would have voted for them if i were american (out of lack of a better choice in an FPTP system)

i'm just entering this topic from a political science perspective. properly placing the democratic party in an international context is not the same as hating on them. if you're unhappy with how they compare, maybe you should try to enact change from those in control rather than shoot the messenger?

sure, because the american constitution is broken, i concede that they probably couldn't have done more

still, if you look at their proposed policies that they run on in elections, they really don't want to increase taxes all that much

Hillary ran on increasing taxes by roughly $50 billionsper year (yes i know, the source is conservative, but if anything that would mean they overstate how much she would increase taxes) per year which is less than half a percentage point of GDP

i did understate how much bernie would want to raise taxes though. reading into it more, it seems analysis suggested he would raise taxes by $1500 billions per year which corresponds to a tax increase of about 8 percentage points of GDP, which would move the US up to about the same level of tax/GDP ratio as the OECD average. so i guess a democratic party pushing for bernie level taxes could indeed be called centre-left on economic policy by international standards

You still haven't answered my question

If the Democrats are just European Conservatives.

Why did they respond to the Recession in the exact opposite fashion of European Conservatives.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
We need more conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans. Or at the very least moderates. And she isn't even that. Enough with the hyperpartenship. :(
Yes, more right-of-center Conservatism masking as "Centrism", that's what we need. We're certainly not in the condition we're in now because of nearly 40 years of it.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
85yrs old

There really needs to be a limit on how old someone can be.Health issues and possible memory loss.

I don't think that's ageism just truth

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, more right-of-center Conservatism masking as "Centrism", that's what we need. We're certainly not in the condition we're in now because of nearly 40 years of it.
No, we're in this position now because this racist-ass country has only given Democrats unified control of government for 8 of the last 50 years because white people keep punishing Democrats for deciding black lives mattered.

We're in this particular Trumpian position because those same racists relished the chance to vote for a candidate who openly said what they've always said in private.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Donors are not to the right of the party on economics. (I think Sean McAlwee just did a thing on this.)

yeet

What's missing from this narrative is any discussion of the impact of big donors on the party. As the story goes, these donors are generally receptive to socially liberal causes but prefer low-tax and low-regulation regimes that personally benefit them—thus moving the party away from the working class and aligning it with the toothless politics of a coastal urban elite. While the narrative has explanatory power, data shows it's just not accurate. Not only are major donors to the left of small donors, they're genuinely to the left of where they perceive the Democratic Party as a whole and individual candidates.

We used the Cooperative Congressional Election Studies 2016 survey to analyze all Democrats, all Clinton voters, primary voters, meeting attendees, volunteers, individuals who put up a campaign sign, small donors (who gave under $200), and large donors. Perhaps surprisingly, large donors' views are more likely to place them further to the left of the Democratic Party than all these other groups.

One could imagine that donors might perceive themselves as broadly liberal, but see this mostly as a cultural affinity. In a separate analysis, we examined the American National Election Studies 2016 survey and found the same result: large Democratic donors placed themselves to the left of Democratic voters on issues of social services and increased government spending.

To be clear, the power of monied interests hurts the left for a wide variety of reasons. Further, we don't doubt that there is a point at which, say, a George Soros would be to the right of the center of the Democratic Party. For now though, the main threat money poses to the left is largely through the Kochs and corporate PACs, rather than the insufficient liberalism of major donors.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Hint: There is a second part of that post you failed to engage woth.

If Democrats are the just Euro rpcenter right, then why didn't they respond the way the European right did?
mainly because the EMU is badly designed

the EMU is a currency union without a fiscal union.

with a shared currency, less productive countries have a currency that is overvalued, which is very bad for them during recessions, while more productive countries have a currency that is greatly undervalued, which is great for the competitiveness of their industries

the USA is similar in many ways, in that wealthy states like california benefits from an undervalued currency because of poor uncompetitive rural states. the difference is that the US has many federal programmes that help redistribute money from richer states to poorer states (food stamps, medicare, etc.) while the EU has almost none of such balancing mechanisms between weaker and stronger economies in the currency union

the EMU would be much better off overall if there were more programmes in place to redistribute some wealth from the richer economies to the poorer economies, but the richer economies flat-out refuse. i even made a thread on neogaf about how miserly countries like germany were at the expense of weaker economies like greece, considering how much those richer countries benefited from the euro

it is indeed unfortunate that countries doing relatively well in europe imposed economical policy suicide on smaller countries, i am the first to agree with you there

i would say the main reason why USA was more ready to do stimulus where, essentially, rich states helped out poor states, is that USA is one country, and people in California feel relatively happy to help out countrymen in kansas. that kind of solidarity doesn't really exist between individual eurozone countries. german voters didn't want to help out people in greece and portugal, probably because they didn't feel a shared identity in the same way that people from different US states share a national identity

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Because we're all a monolith, right?
No room for individuality,
"Democrat Party" is a decades-old slur that's been used by the Republicans since the 1940s
mainly because the EMU is badly designed

the EMU is a currency union without a fiscal union.

with a shared currency, less productive countries have a currency that is overvalued, which is very bad for them during recessions, while more productive countries have a currency that is greatly undervalued, which is great for the competitiveness of their industries

the USA is similar in many ways, in that wealthy states like california benefits from an undervalued currency because of poor uncompetitive rural states. the difference is that the US has many federal programmes that help redistribute money from richer states to poorer states (food stamps, medicare, etc.) while the EU has almost none of such balancing mechanisms between weaker and stronger economies in the currency union

the EMU would be much better off overall if there were more programmes in place to redistribute some wealth from the richer economies to the poorer economies, but the richer economies flat-out refuse. i even made a thread on neogaf about how miserly countries like germany were at the expense of weaker economies like greece, considering how much those richer countries benefited from the euro

it is indeed unfortunate that countries doing relatively well in europe imposed economical policy suicide on smaller countries, i am the first to agree with you there

i would say the main reason why USA was more ready to do stimulus where, essentially, rich states helped out poor states, is that USA is one country, and people in California feel relatively happy to help out countrymen in kansas. that kind of solidarity doesn't really exist between individual eurozone countries. german voters didn't want to help out people in greece and portugal, probably because they didn't feel a shared identity in the same way that people from different US states share a national identity
Does all this superfluous verbiage contain an admission that the Democrats are not center-right because, as has been said, they embraced stimulus rather than austerity? Because otherwise, you just wasted your time writing this or you deliberately avoided answering the question directly. I'd like to assume the best of you and think the former, but I have reservations.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
people talking shit about the democratic party using the same inaccurate talking points: Individuals Being Individuals
two dudes, neither of whom has been in the senate for at least 6 years, shitcan the public option: A Pox On All Your Houses

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Again, while I like McElwee generally, his methodology for this particular claim is an absolute joke. The cutoff for "large donors" in the data they used was only $200.

https://www.dataforprogress.org/dissent-analysis

I can certainly believe that donors in the three or low four-figure range are to the left of the base, but when we talk about Dems being continually dragged right by large donors, we're not talking about them.

If he can produce data supporting a similar conclusion about six- or seven-figure donors, that'd be another story.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Does all this superfluous verbiage contain an admission that the Democrats are not center-right because, as has been said, they embraced stimulus rather than austerity? Because otherwise, you just wasted your time writing this or you deliberately avoided answering the question directly. I'd like to assume the best of you and think the former, but I have reservations.
i tried to honestly engage with you and answer your question

not performing economical suicide (e.g. correctly pushing for stimulus in a recession) is a very low bar to pass to be considered centre-left. whether centre-left of centre-right, that is is just common sense economic policy. the swedish centre-right government at the time also pushed for stimulus during the financial crisis, but that doesn't suddenly make them centre-left. it just makes them not destructive and stupid

i don't know why y'all're suggesting i'm arguing in bad faith. you can check my post history on this site and the old one. it is very consistent. i consistently agree with y'all completely on social issues and consistently argue for the USA to increase taxes. i'm consistently arguing for people to vote for democrats so as not to waste their vote in a FPTP system. i'm wearing my ideology firmly on my sleeve

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
And yet as that same article points out, the individually wealthy are the most likely to raise the most money, and the individually wealthy are more likely to be to the right economically.

Maybe the largest donors are to the left, I don't know because there's not much data in that article and I don't have time to research it, but I still believe generally the more wealthy a primary campaign, the more centrist they are.

Again, while I like McElwee generally, his methodology for this particular claim is an absolute joke. The cutoff for "large donors" in the data they used was only $200.

https://www.dataforprogress.org/dissent-analysis

I can certainly believe that donors in the three or low four-figure range are to the left of the base, but when we talk about Dems being continually dragged right by large donors, we're not talking about them.

If he can produce data supporting a similar conclusion about six- or seven-figure donors, that'd be another story.

And there it is. Obviously that's a flawed use of statistics to put the cutoff that low.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i tried to honestly engage with you and answer your question

not performing economical suicide (e.g. correctly pushing for stimulus in a recession) is a very low bar to pass to be considered centre-left. whether centre-left of centre-right, that is is just common sense economic policy. the swedish centre-right government at the time also pushed for stimulus during the financial crisis, but that doesn't suddenly make them centre-left. it just makes them not destructive and stupid

i don't know why y'all're suggesting i'm arguing in bad faith. you can check my post history on this site and the old one. it is very consistent. i consistently agree with y'all completely on social issues and consistently argue for the USA to increase taxes. i'm consistently arguing for people to vote for democrats so as not to waste their vote in a FPTP system. i'm wearing my ideology firmly on my sleeve
But it's a bar EU right-wing parties failed to pass, suggesting that it is a very real bar indeed.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i am suggesting that it is a bar for competence and not a bar for ideology
This seems to be you deliberately moving goalposts so that you don't have to acknowledge it as ideology. (i.e., right-wing ideology is the reason shitty policy instead of competent policy ends up happening w/ right-wing parties, much like how religious nuts will make shitty sex-ed policy instead of competent classes that actually reduce birthrates)

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This seems to be you deliberately moving goalposts so that you don't have to acknowledge it as ideology.
not really?

i'm not the one who chose that set of goal posts to begin with. they did. i'm trying to show why it was a bad bad choice of goalposts

if doing stimulus is all it takes to be (economically) left-wing, then it would follow that the swedish centre-right alliance and shinzo abe in japan are economically left-wing

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not really?

i'm not the one who chose that set of goal posts to begin with. they did. i'm trying to show why it was a bad bad choice of goalposts

if doing stimulus is all it takes to be (economically) left-wing, then it would follow that the swedish centre-right alliance and shinzo abe in japan are economically left-wing
I edited just now to be clearer- Right-wing ideology is the reason shitty policy instead of competent policy ends up happening w/ right-wing parties, much like how religious nuts will make shitty sex-ed policy instead of competent classes that actually reduce birthrates. The reason you don't get the shitty policies with the Dems is because they're not a right-wing party.

Status
Not open for further replies.