• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
mo13dhtk48a31.png
o god, i'm dying

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's beside the point, but I'm fucking tired of aliens being used to either excuse the excesses of government institutions by overwriting the mundane reasons why it happens with something fictionally conspiratorial or to erase the achievements of non-white civilizations by inserting the notion of extraterrestrial intervention in an otherwise "savage" society.

It's the only reason the alien contact myth persists and it's a blight on society.

Area 51 persists as a thing primarily due to New Mexico blissfully ignoring or suppressing the evidence provided by the government for what was happening there in order to bolster their tourism industry in Roswell that was grown out of the government's prior silence; gotta keep that gravy train chugging on.

EDIT: oops, forgot another reason for the persistence of aliens, as a reason to present humanity's tendencies toward militarism and genocide in a positive light in popular media by presenting a morally-safe "other" to kill.
I've spent a long time trying to understand whatever it is you're saying and honestly even ignoring the weird conspiracy to keep area 51 hidden part, you're completely wrong about what alien invasions as a story do.

Alien invasions are a reflection of imperialism. It's a way to put countries like America and it's audience that will never be invaded in the shoes of overwhelming brutality and killing.

Thinking about it more I think you're just wrong in general, movies displaying how the government is capable of covering things up don't justify doing that. They draw attention to it. I don't see the warehouse in Indiana Jones as some fantastical thing, it's meant to be unsettling.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I realise it's all fun and games with the memes, but it's depressing as fuck to read that over five hundred thousand people have signed up to this. It's even more depressing when you realise that at not insignificant number of those people really do want to do this and really do believe there are aliens in there.
That's not the depressing thing. The depressing thing is realizing you don't live in a world where, instead, half a million people do this but sign up for storming the ICE and DBP camps and a fraction of THOSE guys show up and try to get things done. There exists a world where that same depressed millenial ennui that produced this meme, that produced this "suicidal millenials" stuff, is poured into that instead.

After the memes stop being funny that's what sticks with me.
You both sound like middle aged people complaining about young hippies in the sixties and seventies.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
You both sound like middle aged people complaining about young hippies in the sixties and seventies.

I mean... do I? People complaining about hippies tended to complain because they wanted a regressive backwards way of life to continue and were upset at seeing people spend their energies altering those institutions. From a historical perspective, sure, the hippie movement was around the LEAST effective part of the New Left movement, but it was still committed to those values.

If this were an irreverent, meme-filled way to actually, yunno, tackle problems facing our society today, it would make me a lot happier. I still enjoy the memes, as I said, I just wished people used this kind of energy and (in my opinion) building momentum for just causes.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean... do I? People complaining about hippies tended to complain because they wanted a regressive backwards way of life to continue and were upset at seeing people spend their energies altering those institutions. From a historical perspective, sure, the hippie movement was around the LEAST effective part of the New Left movement, but it was still committed to those values.

If this were an irreverent, meme-filled way to actually, yunno, tackle problems facing our society today, it would make me a lot happier. I still enjoy the memes, as I said, I just wished people used this kind of energy and (in my opinion) building momentum for just causes.
You are creating a false dichotomy. People can both enjoy the stupidness of this Area 51 shit and also work to change the system and dedicate time to real issues, and plenty of people are doing just that.

People do use memes to spread social awareness already.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
so what are the Kyles in this meme ?
Kyle is an online caricature of a white boy referenced as an antagonistic character in memes. Similar to how Karen is used online, "Kyle" jokes parody of a certain kind of person with a set of characteristics one associates with the name; in "Kyle's" case, these are characteristics of an angry white male teenager. "Kyle" is generally presented as rage-filled and aggressive, and he is a fan of Monster Energy Drinks and Axe body spray, which has been documented in the Kyle Punches Drywall meme.

Kyle jokes can be traced back to a popular Vine video posted November 3rd, 2015 by Nick Colleti titled "White Kid Fight," in which he yells "What the FUCK is up Kyle?!?" The Vine gained over 536,000 likes and 271,000 revines (shown below).

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
In the hypothetical that over a mlillion people were to actually do this, I don't think the military would resort to just killing all of them tbh.

US Air Force responds
OP
OP

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Storm Area 51: US military 'ready' to confront 600,000 alien-hunters threatening to break into top-secret base

The organisers said: "We can move faster than their bullets. Let's see them aliens."

But Air Force spokesperson Laura McAndrews has released a warning to potential trespassers.

"[Area 51] is an open training range for the US Air Force, and we would discourage anyone from trying to come into the area where we train American armed forces," she said.

Ms McAndrews added: "The US Air Force always stands ready to protect America and its assets".

Oct 25, 2017

So why arent you storming a concentration camp right now?

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I so want the mob to show up, find the gates/doors unlocked and the entire base is ghost town empty because this whole thing has been publicly projected. The live streams would be something to see.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Almost certainly nobody but a tiny few will show up and nothing will happen. But man, we're getting more than we ever bargained for already with the memes.

JMeth

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Even if these clowns managed to get onto the base, best case is that really all they get to do is run around like morons on a flightline, since pretty much anything actually critical to national security or really as classified as supposed Alien tech would be would be locked up tight in secure buildings and SCIFs which they aren't getting into. Worst case, well USAF Security Forces are bored as hell and some of them are way to ate up and think they are Navy SEALs or something so dream of stuff like this.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Let's say a million people actually show up. Would they say fuck it and gun down a million people?

Only five people are going to show up.
But, but... if the military ever gunned down a million civilians, idiots or not, there would be massive anti-military domestic terrorism.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Only five people are going to show up.
But, but... if the military ever gunned down a million civilians, idiots or not, there would be massive anti-military domestic terrorism.
They wouldn't need to. Let's say everyone turned up.

There will be a million people facing a locked gate, armed guards and barbed wire with no idea of what actually to do, other than take live videos and meme around. I don't think anyone is serious about trying to storm the place with force after all.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I reckon they deal with nutty trespassers pretty much on the reg. Nobody is going to be mowed down, even if a few dorks show up because of meme magic.

A few batons to the knees, though...

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This thread is one of the dumbest threads I have ever read through on Era and I love it.

We need more fun threads like this.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
It's just the Air Force. If something really needed protection the USMC would be there.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, some of these memes are seriously unfunny.
Some others are very funny though. Maybe let the funny people make the memes?

Anyway, this is like those huge online petitions, right? Lots of barking, no biting.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not the depressing thing. The depressing thing is realizing you don't live in a world where, instead, half a million people do this but sign up for storming the ICE and DBP camps and a fraction of THOSE guys show up and try to get things done. There exists a world where that same depressed millenial ennui that produced this meme, that produced this "suicidal millenials" stuff, is poured into that instead.

After the memes stop being funny that's what sticks with me.
No one's showing up anywhere-- if a couple dozen people show up for the lulz it won't matter. Millions of people go to watch Marvel films, and that doesn't help anyone. This is just people having some dumb fun.

Also, the date isn't until the end of September. Shit will be long forgotten by then.

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Storm Area 51: US military 'ready' to confront 600,000 alien-hunters threatening to break into top-secret base

Look at that response. Absolute shook.

Go start a raid on an ICE facility yourself then. You can't tell people they're bad for not raiding ICE when you yourself are not raiding ICE.