• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing people aren't reading the article considering the part of "both sides" is being described from a white nationalist who was clearly introduced as one within the article right before he starts sharing his view on ANTIFA

It's not a very good article mind you, but I'm not exactly seeing the "both sides" being painted as people are claiming it is

I read it. It's brief, it doesn't have anything meaningful to say and it's giving a voice to far-right shitbags who of course are going to try and make Antifa seem as sinister and dubious as possible. I mean, the guy says Antifa are more dangerous than the far-right which is demonstrably untrue and shouldn't be taken seriously enough to get fucking column space.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Libs prefer the alt right to the far left because the alt right love capitalism almost as much as they do

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
36317850_1975381355814409_7323719684145020928_n.jpg

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Mostly referring to the American ANTIFA movement at this point. Obviously there are plenty of organizations to donate to and whatnot that can help "the good fight", but an article like this is truly what is ignorant and insulting, if not dangerous.
Oh, I'm not disputing that! The article is absolutely horrible, and there's no "if" about the danger. It's dangerous to publish crap like that.

I just keep encountering people thinking that antifa simply means anti fascism, or even people who think it's not only new in the US, but a new thing in general. Irritates me, and while it's (probably) benign, I sometimes feel the urge to point out what the name literally means.
Sorry if I overreacted, huge pet peeve.

Oct 27, 2017
Except that's actually a rather important piece of information when you're talking about a group who openly goes around using violence against Nazis

Would have been better if they actually tried to interview someone for a primary source instead of citing a local news interview, which again, is why the article is kinda bad but not really that offensive to the concept of ANTIFA
I do not have a problem with them using violence against nazis.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
There are real reports on the influence of Antifa from the US and EU intelligence communities and a few academic papers.

But why bother with that if you can just make shit up?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You sure are a friendly one. And I think you've missed the point of why it's fucked up to interview nazis regarding their opinions.

I'm not missing the point when you randomly start talking about something completely different.

If the goal of ANTIFA is to use violence to intimidate and make Nazis not want to openly demonstrate, getting the views of how Nazis see ANTFIA isn't exactly something you should shy away from.

Now again, that doesn't mean reusing a pretty much irrelevant interview from years ago is good writing, but the idea that you can't interview white nationalists who are getting their faces punched or heads smashed in, "hey, what do you think of the people constantly going out of their way to make you not want to go outside and openly be Nazis?" is absurd when the topic is why ANTIFA does the things they do and the effects it has, both good and bad.

Just don't be a lib then

Good idea, onwards with the global marxist revolution

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Giving a platform for them in any form is dangerous. It partially legitimizes their ideology. We don't need to hear from them, period. We need them to be afraid to be a nazi.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Giving a platform for them in any form is dangerous. It partially legitimizes their ideology. We don't need to hear from them, period. We need them to be afraid to be a nazi.

No, that's not what "giving a platform" means.

Giving a platform is setting up a debate where you clash ideas that legitimizes them by the simple fact you pair up two opposing ideologies and treat them as equal.

Interviewing someone on what they think about the group that is their primary counter-protester on a regular basis, all around America, is not "giving a platform"

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I'm not missing the point when you randomly start talking about something completely different.

If the goal of ANTIFA is to use violence to intimidate and make Nazis not want to openly demonstrate, getting the views of how Nazis see ANTFIA isn't exactly something you should shy away from.

Now again, that doesn't mean reusing a pretty much irrelevant interview from years ago is good writing, but the idea that you can't interview white nationalists who are getting their faces punched or heads smashed in, "hey, what do you think of the people constantly going out of their way to make you not want to go outside and openly be Nazis?" is absurd when the topic is why ANTIFA does the things they do and the effects it has, both good and bad.

It's a tricky situation that we're gonna have to try and balance with our efforts of deplatforming Nazis.

A task not suited for interns at CNN

Oct 25, 2017
So if you talk to a white nationalist and they say something that you can directly fact check and you don't do it, what the fuck?
The issue isn't that they talked to a white nationalist it's that he said something inaccurate and they just left it there unchallenged.

Oct 27, 2017

Giving a platform is setting up a debate where you clash ideas that legitimizes them by the simple fact you pair up two opposing ideologies and treat them as equal.

Interviewing someone on what they think about the group that is their primary counter-protester on a regular basis, all around America, is not "giving a platform"
Thanks for giving me your definition of what giving a platform means. I disagree with you.

Oct 27, 2017
So if you talk to a white nationalist and they say something that you can directly fact check, and you don't do it what the fuck?
The issue isn't that they talked to a white nationalist it's that he said something inaccurate and they just left it there unchallenged.
Bingo. You don't report or print or even entertain this bullshit. You don't engage with them. You report without their involvement.

Serenity

Mar 3, 2018
The fear mongering over antifa, as neo-nazi's continue to infiltrate all aspects of American life, is infuriating.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Why did they do that? Was he a facist or just caught up inbetween two groups that were already fighting so...wrong place / wrong time type of scenario.
He writes for right wing outlets such as Quillette and hangs with some alt-righters. Don't know if he was targeted because of it or just because he was filming antifa members. Antifa people don't seem to care for people filming them.

Oct 27, 2017
He writes for right wing outlets such as Quillette and hangs with some alt-righters. Don't know if he was targeted because of it or just because he was filming antifa members. Antifa people don't seem to care for people filming them.
He's anti-islamic and writes dog-whistle racist articles that support alt-righters.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
THIS is why we have trump. Fucking news media with their disingenuous bullshit just to get a few dozen more clicks.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
So Hitler what's your opinion on those against you? Well I think they're as bad as I am frankly.

Jan 10, 2018
[

It is

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, don't know much about him. Just saw it on youtube. But I have to say, attack on reporters/journalists is rarely a good look. Hopefully this doesn't caption the attention anyone beyond fox news.
I wish they hadn't taken the bait. They should have just milkshaked him. Ngo is a bit like a Milo with a GoPro that seeks altercations.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
white supremacist: "antifa is almost as bad as us, how crazy is that"

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
By this same logic the allied forces in World War II were just as bad as the nazis, & Winston Churchill was as bad as Hitler.
I mean that's probably not the best comparison to make either.

Hitler was a monster, but it's not like Churchill wasn't a piece of shit either. He's just lionised for being a war hero.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Like almost all american networks, CNN is scared as hell of being called "biased" (which they will be called anyway) which is why they always go for this shit "let's hear from both sides, what does a Nazi think about this?" idea
But, truth is biased. News is "supposed" to tell the truth, not coddle both sides. News is NOT supposed to give you two outcomes and tell the viewers, "You pick what's best for YOU to believe!".

Also, truth will ALWAYS be biased against Fascists. It shines the light on reality, exposes lies and corruption.

Repbulicans, Conservatives, general Right-winger fascists, bigots and overall racists HATE truth and will cry "BIAS". Good, sometimes it's good to be biased against the scum of humanity.

Oct 28, 2017
Let's ask what the fascist has to say about the people punching fascists. It's the only way to cover Both Sides fairly.

Oh would you look at that, it turns out that the real Nazis are the people that aren't Nazis. What a clever trick. It must have been orchestrated by that dastardly Carl Marks.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That hard hitting both sides reporting

When you're a news outlet too chicken shit state the actual facts