• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, isn't a lot of what she's describing almost exactly what AOC did after winning her primary, i.e. travelling around, promoting herself and her party, and using unusually personal anecdotes shared via instagram and other outlets to demonstrate how the party's bigger platforms relate to individual voters' needs? Hell even Elizabeth Warren is doing instagram sessions where she tries to open up and push this style of messaging, at least as much as she can

I'm not sure I see it as being white-male privilege rather than wealthy privilege, which is certainly not unusual in the slightest when it comes to presidential runs.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Beto gets so much media attention because he's charismatic. And history has proven that charisma is what wins the presidency for Democrats. He's incredibly privileged as well though, so it's fair to point that out.

The white Obama talk is moronic garbage however, I roll my eyes out of my head when I read crap like that.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Generally I love watching the left self-destructing but you guys have Donald fucking Trump in the Office. Do we really need to do the purity test circus NOW? Can't it wait after the election? It's not going to be less fun, I promise.
it's only gonna get worse. Once the far left candidates go down many are gonna go into sabatoge mode.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Generally I love watching the left self-destructing but you guys have Donald fucking Trump in the Office. Do we really need to do the purity test circus NOW? Can't it wait after the election? It's not going to be less fun, I promise.

The invisible primary started a few weeks ago via David Sirota. What gets me is not that candidates the Dems have get scrutinised, that's part of what primaries are there for - it's hit pieces which aren't telling the whole truth, like this article. There was article with Beto in the primary thread where he did a terrible interview which showed his ignorance on various topics, like foreign relations, which did a good job telling us why he was a bad candidate but articles like this? Nope. All this does is solidify his position as he's the one being attacked unnecessarily and turning potential voters for Bernie to Beto out of sympathy.

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018
I see the crazy people on the left are already pulling their weight to get Trump a 2nd term.

It's like they learned nothing form 2016 by continuing writing these idiotic articles.

If there is anything mainstream media is interested in, it's keeping people divided. Fuck CNN and all the rest.

Mod post

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Guys, this is not the place to discuss the primary. If you want to have that discussion go to the OT and don't have it here. Stay on topic, this thread is not about the electability of Beto or anyone else running for the nomination.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
what a ridiculous article. Beto is an amazing candidate, he connects with people. Its that simple. I've never seen a candidate for a statewide election getting support and signs outside of said state they were running in.

Edit, i see the mods warning, but i completely disagree, the article is absolutely about his elect ability. The article is trying to tear him down because of his wealth, because he doesnt have a job and is doing things that require money.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Beto is doing a "big brother" style social media thing to let the whole country in on his travels and learn who he is and see what he does.

I think it's genius because considering today's culture, he's doing exactly what he should be doing to promote himself. He's appealing to Gen Xers and beyond.

But of course, the ultra-liberal-progressives all want AOC-style candidates who rise up out of an everyday job in the city and make both establishments uncomfortable. It may work at the local district level, but nationwide AOC will be in for a rude awakening should she ever seek a White House run.

Beto is trying to appeal to the masses, which is exactly what he should be doing. Accusing him of white privilege is self-defeating to anyone other than the Tucker Carlson types who will turn it around on them and cry hypocrisy when it's applied to REAL white privilege benefactors like the Mitch McConnells and Paul Ryans and ...Tucker Carlsons... of the world.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if the guys is going to run for president (which it seems like he will) why would he get a job for a few months? If anything he's going to take a little break from the state campaign and start working on the national one soon. Also, he's going to get a shit ton of coverage, he went from a no name to fairly well recognized in no time.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His privilege even allows him to turn a loss to the most despised candidate of the cycle into a launching pad for a White House run.

This is a horrible, bad-faith argument that instantly discredits the person making it. A more accurate description of O'Rourke's 2018 campaign is that he nearly defeated an entrenched incumbent in a deep-red state who was originally expected to coast to reelection in a cakewalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.