• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will show you the canon!
They said dairy and 90º weather activity didn't mix so they looked for an alternative that could keep it an essential item that it should be for everyone.
Why do you need to bring logic to this? My dream is shattered now.

source.gif

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Already seeing a couple listings on ebay for the full set for $80+... And Disney will apparently be limiting these to three per guest, per transaction.

On top of the insanity expected for everything else in the land, expect insanity for round soda bottles.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Coke tastes like bantha poodoo.
Those episode 1 Pepsi cans were the best.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be there in a couple weeks checking this shit out
I might get a thermal cokenator just because it's ridiculous

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Ah, sorry if I spoiled that.

I was giddy when I spotted it! Obviously the Russo's wanted to continue the nod after the whole kebab thing on Cockburn Street.
Nah, I'm glad you told me. I probably would miss it if I didn't know haha

It's really cool having little nods like that, usually big budget stuff filmed here is as a different country. I remember watching George Square get turned into Philadelphia for World War Z.

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Nah, I'm glad you told me. I probably would miss it if I didn't know haha

It's really cool having little nods like that, usually big budget stuff filmed here is as a different country. I remember watching George Square get turned into Philadelphia for World War Z.
Yep I'm a student at Strathclyde so I definitely witnessed that. And Idris Elba here for Hobbes and Shaw!

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yep I'm a student at Strathclyde so I definitely witnessed that. And Idris Elba here for Hobbes and Shaw!
Aye, forgot about that I was on holiday when they were filming last year.

I remember Scarlett Johansson was meant to have been going around in a van in Glasgow for under the skin. My mate told me that at the time and I thought he was talking shite then the movie came out haha

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess cosplay is now an in-canon concept as well. People in the Star Wars universe dress up like Jedis and prance around with fake lightsabers.
Is this... surprising to you?

Jedi are like these legendary people right? If you want to become a Jedi you go and train with them or something? People are aware that they exist. You don't think little kids who have been told fantastical stories about Jedi would dress up and play as them?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
how long until a story about TSA arresting someone who shows one of these in line and says they have a thermal detonator

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this... surprising to you?

Jedi are like these legendary people right? If you want to become a Jedi you go and train with them or something? People are aware that they exist. You don't think little kids who have been told fantastical stories about Jedi would dress up and play as them?
It just seems like a really strained contrivance done in the name of theme park immersion......that will probably ruin immersion anyway. If I see a gift shop selling lightsabers and Jedi Robes I am not going to feel like "Oh wow I am in the Star Wars universe!"

Having shops that sell wizard robes and wands works for Wizarding World of Harry Potter because those shops are an enshrined part of JK Rowling's canon, featured heavily in the films and novels. Building gift shops and then trying to cram them into Star Wars canon doesn't work because those elements have not been established at all in previous canon. It's clearly a post-hoc justification to sell merchandise.

Woke Bespoke

Banned
May 12, 2019
Looks like you can only get these at Disneyland? Shame. I'll be scouring Ebay to try to find some. Hopefully they do the sensible thing and sell these at regular retail.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
It just seems like a really strained contrivance done in the name of theme park immersion......that will probably ruin immersion anyway. If I see a gift shop selling lightsabers and Jedi Robes I am not going to feel like "Oh wow I am in the Star Wars universe!"

Having shops that sell wizard robes and wands works for Wizarding World of Harry Potter because those shops are an enshrined part of JK Rowling's canon, featured heavily in the films and novels. Building gift shops and then trying to cram them into Star Wars canon doesn't work because those elements have not been established at all in previous canon. It's clearly a post-hoc justification to sell merchandise.
Ahhhh I see where you're coming from. I've never been super into Star Wars so it's not really anything I've thought about before, but I can understand now why it would come off as forced and shitty by introducing it outside of the movies/canon. Thanks for the reply!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhh I see where you're coming from. I've never been super into Star Wars so it's not really anything I've thought about before, but I can understand now why it would come off as forced and shitty by introducing it outside of the movies/canon. Thanks for the reply!
"Shitty" is a bit too harsh. I just wish they would decide whether they want the park to be a fully-immersive cinematic canon-abiding experience......or just a bunch of awesome rides and shops that aren't intimately connected to Star Wars canon and its universe.

Right now it seems like they are trying to have it both ways (with the gift shops and these silly Coca-Cola bottles), and it doesn't really ring true. I would probably prefer just to have a bunch of cool rides without all the artifice.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
This is a hell of a betrayal. Star Wars and Pepsi products was always the classic brand tie-in.
s-l300.jpg
I had them all. I collected most of them through vending machines. I do remember buying cases of the diet Pepsi, despite diet giving me a headache, just to get the cans I needed. Sadly, most of my cans were destroyed in a move when my uncle 'unknowingly' placed a really heavy box on top of them, crushing them. I say unknowingly but he is a Trekkie, so probably did it on purpose :).

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see it too different from the contrivance that the Wizarding World is giving Muggles tours or letting them into these hidden places. The storyline for Universal's parks is during the movie timelines and the wizarding world wants to be especially hidden then.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it too different from the contrivance that the Wizarding World is giving Muggles tours or letting them into these hidden places. The storyline for Universal's parks is during the movie timelines and the wizarding world wants to be especially hidden then.
As far as I know, the Wizarding World doesn't really follow the "everything here is canon" line of thinking that Galaxy's Edge does though. It's's just fun attractions that create immersion precisely because they are shockingly accurate recreations of what we've already seen in the films.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know, the Wizarding World doesn't really follow the "everything here is canon" line of thinking that Galaxy's Edge does though. It's just fun attractions that create immersion precisely because they are shockingly accurate recreations of what we've already seen in the films, but we're not supposed to really buy into the idea that there was a time when groups of muggles just got to tour Hogwarts.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
I am laughing my ass off right now watching people in here trying to be negative about something like this in any way that they can.