.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Coca-Cola, PepsiCo and Nestlé have been accused of "zero progress" on reducing plastic waste, after being named the world's top plastic polluters for the third year in a row.

Coca-Cola was ranked the world's No 1 plastic polluter by Break Free From Plastic in its annual audit, after its beverage bottles were the most frequently found discarded on beaches, rivers, parks and other litter sites in 51 of 55 nations surveyed. Last year it was the most frequently littered bottle in 37 countries, out of 51 surveyed.

It was found to be worse than PepsiCo and Nestlé combined: Coca-Cola branding was found on 13,834 pieces of plastic, with PepsiCo branding on 5,155 and Nestlé branding on 8,633.

The annual audit, undertaken by 15,000 volunteers around the world, identifies the largest number of plastic products from global brands found in the highest number of countries. This year they collected 346,494 pieces of plastic waste, 63% of which was marked clearly with a consumer brand.

Coca-Cola came under fire from environmental campaigners earlier this year when it announced it would not abandon plastic bottles, saying they were popular with customers. In March, Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, Nestlé and Unilever were found to be responsible for half a million tonnes of plastic pollution in six developing countries each year, in a survey by NGO Tearfund.

"The world's top polluting corporations claim to be working hard to solve plastic pollution, but instead they are continuing to pump out harmful single-use plastic packaging," said Emma Priestland, Break Free From Plastic's global campaign coordinator.

Priestland said the only way to halt the growing global tide of plastic litter was to stop production, phase out single use and implement reuse systems.

"Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, and Nestlé should be leading the way in finding real solutions to reinvent how they deliver their products," she said.

Up to 91% of all the plastic waste ever generated has not been recycled and ended up being incinerated, in landfill or in the natural environment, according to a 2017 study.

Coca-Cola said it was working to address packaging waste, in partnership with others, and disputed the claim that it was making no progress.

"Globally, we have a commitment to get every bottle back by 2030, so that none of it ends up as litter or in the oceans, and the plastic can be recycled into new bottles," a spokesperson said. "Bottles with 100% recycled plastic are now available in 18 markets around the world, and this is continually growing."

The spokesperson said Coca-Cola had also reduced plastic use in secondary packaging, and that globally "more than 20% of our portfolio comes in refillable or fountain packaging".

A spokesperson for PepsiCo said the company was taking action to tackle packaging through "partnership, innovation and investments". They said it has set plastic reduction goals "including decreasing virgin plastic in our beverage business by 35% by 2025", and was also "growing refill and reuse through businesses like SodaStream and SodaStream Professional, which we expect will avoid 67bn single-use plastic bottles through 2025".

They added that the company was investing in partnerships to increase recycling infrastructure and collection, pledging more than $65m (£48m) since 2018.

A statement from Nestlé said the company was making "meaningful progress" in sustainable packaging, although it recognised more was needed: "We are intensifying our actions to make 100% of our packaging recyclable or reusable by 2025 and to reduce our use of virgin plastics by one-third in the same period. So far, 87% of our total packaging and 66% of our plastic packaging is recyclable or reusable."

www.theguardian.com

Coca-Cola, Pepsi and Nestlé named top plastic polluters for third year in a row

Companies accused of “zero progress” on reducing plastic waste, with Coca-Cola ranked No 1 for most littered products

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Isn't it wrong to blame Coca-Cola, Pepsi and so-on for pollution when it's the customers who discard the bottles into nature instead of recycling them. But yeah, we need more taxes on plastic containers so big companies will switch to other materials.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Isn't it wrong to blame Coca-Cola, Pepsi and so-on for pollution when it's the customers who discard the bottles into nature instead of recycling them. But yeah, we need more taxes on plastic containers so big companies will switch to other materials.
That's assuming that what you recycled actually gets recycled. It doesnt. Recycling isn't "profitable" enough for most areas so they either don't have the means or financial incentive to do it.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Coca Cola, Pepsi, and Nestle are just three actors - it's easier for them to cause a large change through their behaviour than to sway all of the consumers into changing their behaviour.

Personally, though, there have been times that I've held onto a can or bottle for a long time in order to find a recycling bin.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article says Coca-Cola produces bottles with 100% recycled plastic in only 18 countries. They still produce a lot of single-use plastic worldwide.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Ugh, I need to stop buying 2-liters. I drink a lot of diet coke (don't judge me), and I guess I'll be buying cans only from now on. At least aluminum actually gets recycled.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People who leave their trash in nature instead of properly discarding of them are absolute trash. But the occasional litterer doesn't mean much in bigger picture where these companies are manufacturing tons of single use plastic items. They are the ones that create these items and place them in the world. And they are doing nothing to combat the effects of their products on the world, nor are they searching for better alternatives to the single use plastics.

SnowHawk

Oct 28, 2017
England
Just use glass because glass bottles are way batter than plastic bottles and the coke tastes much better from them. Asp glass is much easier to recycle than plastic.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it wrong to blame Coca-Cola, Pepsi and so-on for pollution when it's the customers who discard the bottles into nature instead of recycling them.

No, it's not wrong. The corporations that produce the tons of plastic share so much more of the blame that asking this is absurd.

Happy to clear up this easy-to-answer question!

Deleted member 31199

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Ugh, I need to stop buying 2-liters. I drink a lot of diet coke (don't judge me), and I guess I'll be buying cans only from now on. At least aluminum actually gets recycled.

Ew... Diet Coke

Just kidding, I drink Coke Zero and Pepsi Max. Going back, I miss Coke with Lemon and Lime. Yes I know you can add it but it tasted different.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Ew... Diet Coke

Just kidding, I drink Coke Zero and Pepsi Max. Going back, I miss Coke with Lemon and Lime. Yes I know you can add it but it tasted different.
I need that sweet, sweet aspartame in Diet Coke. It just hits different. Cherry Coke Zero is pretty good, though.

Diet Coke with lemon/lime was so good. They have that ginger-lime Diet Coke that only comes in the small cans, but there's no Zero version.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
My biggest issue is Glass right now. No where within 100 miles of me takes glass recycling. I've had to completely change my buying habits so that I'm buying more plastic and aluminum since those are actually taken near me.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The real problem is everyone's love of single serving size products. It's just enormously wasteful and leads to a huge amount of waste, plastic and otherwise, for a tiny amount of food or drink.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
No, it's not wrong. The corporations that produce the tons of plastic share so much more of the blame that asking this is absurd.

If RC Cola was the number one beverage it'd be RC Cola bottles all over the fucking beach. Ultimately it's not Coke or Pepsi specifically that's the problem but all of us drinking sodas as you could get rid of these specific top 3 and they'd just have their spots taken by a new top 3 making drinks for people to buy.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest issue is Glass right now. No where within 100 miles of me takes glass recycling. I've had to completely change my buying habits so that I'm buying more plastic and aluminum since those are actually taken near me.

My understanding is that since other countries stopped accepting exports of the US's "recycling" materials most of it is just going into landfill or being incinerated since it it results in a net financial loss to actually recycle it.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017

It's really absurd that some people still try to push blame and pain on the powerless individuals instead of the bloodsucking corporations.

Plus with plastic, we're not just talking environmental waste (where corporations are still overwhelmingly responsible). The entire process is literally murdering this planet.

carbon-emmission-from-plastic-1559589851439.jpg

www.ciel.org

Sweeping New Report on Global Environmental Impact of Plastics Reveals Severe Damage to Climate - Center for International Environmental Law

In 2019 alone, the production and incineration of plastic will add more than 850 million metric tons of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere—equal to the pollution from 136 new coal-fired power plants, according to a new report, Plastic & Climate: The Hidden Costs of a Plastic Planet. The rapid...
In 2019 alone, the production and incineration of plastic will add more than 850 million metric tons of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere—equal to the pollution from 189 new 500-megawatt coal-fired power plants, according to a new report, Plastic & Climate: The Hidden Costs of a Plastic Planet. The rapid global growth of the plastic industry—fueled by cheap natural gas from hydraulic fracturing—is not only destroying the environment and endangering human health but also undermining efforts to reduce carbon pollution and prevent climate catastrophe.
The rapid growth of the industry over the last decade, driven by cheap natural gas from the hydraulic fracturing boom, has been most dramatic in the United States, which is witnessing a dramatic buildout of new plastic infrastructure in the Gulf Coast and in the Ohio River Valley.

For example, in western Pennsylvania, a new Shell natural gas products processing plant being constructed to provide ingredients for the plastics industry (called an "ethane cracker") could emit up to 2.25 million tons of greenhouse gas pollution each year (carbon dioxide equivalent tons). A new ethylene plant at ExxonMobil's Baytown refinery along the Texas Gulf Coast will release up to 1.4 million tons, according to the Plastic and Climate report. Annual emissions from just these two new facilities would be equal to adding almost 800,000 new cars to the road. Yet they are only two among more than 300 new petrochemical projects being built in the US alone, primarily for the production of plastic and plastic additives.
The report identifies a series of actions that can be taken to reduce these climate impacts, concluding that the most effective way to address the plastic crisis is to dramatically reduce the production of unnecessary plastic, beginning with national and global bans on nearly all single-use, disposable plastic.

The proposed solutions include:
  • ending the production and use of single-use, disposable plastic;
  • stopping development of new oil, gas, and petrochemical infrastructure;
  • fostering the transition to zero-waste communities;
  • implementing extended producer responsibility as a critical component of circular economies; and
  • adopting and enforcing ambitious targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from all sectors, including plastic production.

This is first and foremost a failure of government and corporations.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If RC Cola was the number one beverage it'd be RC Cola bottles all over the fucking beach. Ultimately it's not Coke or Pepsi specifically that's the problem but all of us drinking sodas as you could get rid of these specific top 3 and they'd just have their spots taken by a new top 3 making drinks for people to buy.

no idea what you're trying to say beyond "human bad" but thank you

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Them aluminium bottles seems better for recycling:
WUaprQ3.jpg

Buuuut... they're probably worse if left out in nature and they get broken and animals get cut up :P

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This industry really needs to pivot away from plastics at some point. I remember reading an article saying something along the lines of only like 10% of plastic that's ever been produced has actually been recycled.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
That's assuming that what you recycled actually gets recycled. It doesnt. Recycling isn't "profitable" enough for most areas so they either don't have the means or financial incentive to do it.

This right here. My area has been quietly dumping almost all "recycling materials" for almost four years now.

At the end of the day, people need to stop buying so much stuff, single use beverages included.

Oct 22, 2020
The chain of blame for environmental failures like this should always go in this order:

Governments >>>> Companies >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Individuals

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
no idea what you're trying to say beyond "human bad" but thank you
No, not "human bad," more like address the real root cause of the issue rather than going with convenient scapegoats for an entire problematic industry. It'd be like making a tax plan that just goes after Amazon and a few other companies just because they're the biggest. Fix the whole problem.

And for everyone who wants to word it like blame it's not about blame. I don't much care about who's fault it is people buy a coke or why they pollute, it's about what are we going to do about it? Are we going to play a shell game with companies where we make new bad guys every few decades, or say we get the ball rolling and speed that cycle up to a few years or whatever, or do we address the culture of single use containers?

And I don't like saying that, full disclosure, I work for a soft drink company and am fucking addicted to Dr. Pepper like you wouldn't believe but the industry probably just shouldn't exist as it does now. You got the pollution, the negative health aspects, the extraction of water that's a scarce resource in some cases where these companies are taking it from that's likely just going to continue getting worse, I think the industry needs a rethink not a new bottle.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
This industry really needs to pivot away from plastics at some point. I remember reading an article saying something along the lines of only like 10% of plastic that's ever been produced has actually been recycled.

Yeah, the stories started coming out this year and late last year. It surprisingly turns out that corporations have been purposefully lying to the public for decades. The entire recycling process is just a giant scam to ensure that corps could continue making plastic for profit.

oceana.org

CEO Note: PBS’ “Plastic Wars” shows plastic industry’s decades-long recycling hoax

If you are, like me, at home sheltering in place, take a look around your pantry, your closet, your garage and you will likely find a lot of… plastic. Whether it’s packaging our food, or material in our clothes, electronics, or furniture, plastic is nearly impossible to avoid. Most of us look at...
But we were being lied to. "Plastic Wars," a new documentary from PBS Frontline and NPR, reveals the plastic industry's decades-long coordinated campaign to sell more and more plastic. Their strategy for this? Creating the modern recycling system.

In the late 1980s, the Council for Solid Waste Solutions, backed by oil companies, came together to create the United States' recycling system. Their intent was to avert growing public attention on plastics' waste disposal and pollution problem by providing an industry-initiated "solution" that put the burden of responsibility back on the disgruntled public. Well-funded advertising campaigns reinforced the message that "People start pollution, people can stop it."
The plan worked. The false empowerment of recycling became an accepted part of everyday life and changed public perception of the plastic pollution crisis. Eco-conscious youth sang along to catchy music promoting the three "Rs" – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – but, in reality, recycling was the only "R" promoted.

The industry assured universal use of the plastic symbols and numbers (called plastic Resin Identification Codes), confusing customers into thinking that their products were all recyclable. That's far from the truth. Few of these materials are easily recyclable. Items like clamshells packaging, plastic wrapping, and flimsy plastic bags, while technically "recyclable," are not economically viable options and almost never recycled. Instead, they end up in landfills, waterways, and our oceans.

Lying is actually too kind of a word here. As is scam. Cause it's not just that recycling doesn't do shit, but that it was spawned by corporations who fully intended from the start that it wouldn't do shit, and yet marketed it like it would to push responsibility onto the consumer as the corps continued to rake in profits.
This is ecological genocide mixed in with criminal manipulation and extreme corporate malfeasance. Guillotine the entire industry.

Referenced Plastic Wars video here:

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
This right here. My area has been quietly dumping almost all "recycling materials" for almost four years now.

At the end of the day, people need to stop buying so much stuff, single use beverages included.
Yep. That's why the slogan starts with reduce, reuse and then recycle. Recycling in theory is amazing, but doesn't hold up with the costs cities can't/won't spend and the degradation of cheap plastics.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I think BFP only started in late 2016 but you can assume it was coke, pepsi, and nestle
I dunno, their methodology kinda sucks if it's just going around counting trash with brand names. Coke is probably number one regardless but it's not hard to imagine some boring ass company that makes generic shopping bags for tons of different businesses that could also be up there since they're either branded with the stores name or not branded at all.

Deleted member 31199

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I need that sweet, sweet aspartame in Diet Coke. It just hits different. Cherry Coke Zero is pretty good, though.

Diet Coke with lemon/lime was so good. They have that ginger-lime Diet Coke that only comes in the small cans, but there's no Zero version.

I completely forgot about that. I am thinking Diet Coke Lemon and Lime in like 2003.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I only buy the 1l bottles from coca-cola that are reusable. I would prefer pepsi but unfortunately they only use one-time use bottles