• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
EFMrdA6PJLq0OPKpRYB3z4chUrsjX8quvUR1XiLhQ2Q.gif

Cockroaches aren't beloved by many, but you have to feel sorry for them once they get snagged by a jewel wasp.

Jewel wasps deliver two stings to the cockroach: one in the lower midsection, temporarily paralyzing its front legs, and the other into the brain, injecting a venom that makes the roach essentially a zombie, docile enough to lead around by the antennae.
The wasp then leads a newly minted zombie into a hole and leaves it there with a single wasp egg. It seals the roach into this tomb where the roach will die, eaten alive by wasp larvae.
Now, Catania has revealed in a new studypublished in the journal Brain, Behavior and Evolution that roaches do not go passively into passivity.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...g-cockroach-kangaroo-kiwi-birds-animals-news/

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wasps do this with caterpillars too. Larvae hatch inside the caterpillar's skin, invade its nervous system, force the caterpillar to keep eating so that it can feed the larvae, then they burst out of the caterpillar and eat its corpse.

Jan 15, 2018
Parasitic wasps are the coolest and more horrifying insects. They're probably the area of study I'd have gone into if I didn't pick computer science instead of entomology in school.

Oct 27, 2017
The jewel wasp is crazy. When was the first wasp to figure that shit out? How many millenia of trial and error? Questions I'll never know the answers to.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Why are wasps such fucking bastards? Between the tarantula wasp, the wasp that lays its eggs in caterpillars, and now this one, it seems like wasps are David the android's little creatures of horror.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
"Cockroaches aren't beloved by many, but you have to feel sorry for them once they get snagged by a jewel wasp."

No, I don't

Oct 28, 2017
England
Nature never ceases to amaze. I hope Attenborough gets to narrate about a Jewel Wasp (or a different kind of parasitic wasp) in a future series. He has a way of even the strangest of animals seeming compellingly attractive, and I need to know if it can work on these things.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Damn, I hate cockroaches but the clip of it kicking the shit out of that other bug is sick.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
How did wasps figure it out? Maybe corn had something to do with it. When caterpillars attack the corn it sends signals to the wasps who come and take care of the caterpillars.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Jewel wasps don't zombify the cockroaches, they actually cause an extreme depression, hence the "docile nature" allowing them to be guided by their antennae & refusal to move as they're being eaten alive. I feel like this is an important distinction & is far more interesting than just going "lol zombies" again.

Man, insects are fucked up.

But they'll all be dead in 100 years anyway.

Man, the only other Jasper fan it feels like there is on the Internet... And then you go & hate on bugs like that. I feel betrayed.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jewel wasps don't zombify the cockroaches, they actually cause an extreme depression, hence the "docile nature" allowing them to be guided by their antennae & refusal to move as they're being eaten alive. I feel like this is an important distinction & is far more interesting than just going "lol zombies" again.

Man, the only other Jasper fan it feels like there is on the Internet... And then you go & hate on bugs like that. I feel betrayed.

Oh. No shit, eh? That's actually really interesting.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Oh. No shit, eh? That's actually really interesting.

Er... Wait. Nevermind. I mistakenly believed this was the case, but the cockroach stops producing octopamine, which I mistook for being like dopamine but it's actually more like norepinephrine. Guess it proves that not everything that rhymes easily is actually related!

But yeah. It's more that its fight or flight reflex is turned off. Reading further, the cockroach is also paralyzed for a time so the wasp can sting a precise point on the ganglia responsible for octopamine production, & after dragging the cockroach by the antennae, the wasp eats most of the antennae. Not all, but most. It's like if somebody stabbed your eyeballs but only did enough damage so that you could still almost see. My bad about the erroneous information. The point I'm trying to make here is that wasps are destructive parasites, & although I understand they serve a role in the ecosystem, I'm happy to see these cockroaches fighting back.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why are wasps such fucking bastards? Between the tarantula wasp, the wasp that lays its eggs in caterpillars, and now this one, it seems like wasps are David the android's little creatures of horror.
It's the ovipositor, aka the stinger. The combination of a long ovipositor with a flexible abdomen connection (The signature "wasp waist") basically allows wasps to lay their eggs wherever their butt can stick.

All wasps, ants, and bees are descendants of a single very successful parasitoid ancestor.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nature never ceases to amaze. I hope Attenborough gets to narrate about a Jewel Wasp (or a different kind of parasitic wasp) in a future series. He has a way of even the strangest of animals seeming compellingly attractive, and I need to know if it can work on these things.
Here's an Attenborough clip that covers both oak gall wasps and their parasitoids.