• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
End of the road.

It's the best brand to be honest but yeah, running out of ideas.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see the issue. Sounds like he just likes to make a big deal out of everything based on all his recent posts.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Being real here, there are 12 year old kids that will be buying this game who weren't even born when Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare came out. This title doesn't mean a thing to them.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Name doesn't matter, it comes down to the games theme. Obviously if you stay in the future the feel of the game is different.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Guess over the years Pentagon has become unhappy that the dev team they collaborated with and through whom they sell patriotism to Americans has strayed away from killing muslim brown people also colloquially and disparagingly known as "rag heads" or other "foreigners". With this soft reboot perhaps they can get back to roots on "bringing peace in the middle east" especially at the heels of a possible war with Iran. Of course I do wonder what roles Russians will be play.

Of course, much like the first MW, I don't expect it to be explicit in its propaganda but I would be very surprised if it did not have the aforementioned underlying connotations mired in politics (which "Gamers" will ignore since "Politics" don't exist outside the topics covering representation and diversity in games).

I can't wait for the those brave and beautiful americans to bring liberty, freedom and way of life gospels to the rest of the world.

And obviously, I would love to be proven wrong but leveraging the myriad tragedies on American soil at the hands of "foreigners" be they from south of the border or the middle east, or at the least, the resultant resentment, is too lucrative of an opportunity to give up for a game that wants to appeal to the largest market in the world especially under the current, democratically elected leadership.

Conflict is good for business. War IS good business.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Activision trying to outdo EA in regards to repetitive title stupidity

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Modern Warfare 2
Modern Warfare Reflex
Modern Warfare Remastered
Modern Warfare

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
FynM5nN.jpg
lol my sentiments exactly

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Why wouldn't you just call it Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4. Probably because some corporate dumbass thinks it would be redundant because of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Well, guess what. Everyone knows there's already been three Modern Warfares. It makes sense to have a fourth. Calling it Modern Warfare will only hurt sales.

Not to mention there's already Modern Warfare Remastered. So yeah, just call it MW4.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
What's the issue? I'm not seeing it.

stop whining
The issue is we already got it remastered and now they wanna reboot it ,if this isn't milking to you then I don't know what is. Also its soft reboot meaning probably won't make much difference from the remaster or the original they just wanna have an excuse to milk the sweet sweet nostalgic fan's money.

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If they go uber-grounded with a theme of brutality, I would be all in. They already went exaggerated with Infinite Warfare & Advanced Warfare among others.
Make a grounded hardcore shooter in a modern setting. Something akin to the first Sicario film, tone wise.
Imagine playing something like that in next-gen VR iterations with real simulated physics and 1:1 firearm functionality.

Also, will we ever see a COD set in an African state? There are so many interesting and fucked up conflicts they can draw from.

Last edited:

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the issue they need to appeal to a new demographic of children. This isn't even a video game only issue movies do this all the time. Yes it's dumb but is it the end of the world.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The naming isn't an issue, it's been 12 years since the original game.

I do find the soft reboot thing a bit weird. Is it a reboot in the sense that they're going back to that name or that the story is being rebooted? Like, I don't really think there's enough people who really care about the MW story for it to warrant a reboot. I assume it has to be the former.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe this is an attempt to turn Call of Duty into longterm GaaS titles:

2019: Launch of "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare". Focus on traditional Call of Duty gameplay.

2020: Launch of "Call of Duty: Black Ops". Focus on Battle Royale / zombies.

-> No new COD titles in 2021 and beyond. MW and BO will get new seasons every few months with big content upgrades. Sledgehammer and other support devs will work on content for seasons to avoid what happened to Apex. Some form of F2P will be introduced.

I could see it happening tbh.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Maybe this is an attempt to turn Call of Duty into longterm GaaS titles:

2019: Launch of "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare". Focus on traditional Call of Duty gameplay.

2020: Launch of "Call of Duty: Black Ops". Focus on Battle Royale / zombies.

-> No new COD titles in 2021 and beyond. MW and BO will get new seasons every few months with big content upgrades. Sledgehammer and other support devs will work on content for seasons to avoid what happened to Apex. Some form of F2P will be introduced.

I could see it happening tbh.
As long as there's new 6 hour-ish campaign every year, I'm fine with that.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of the biggest games of last year was just called "God of War" as if the original never existed.

This should surprise no one.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I mean it is one of the biggest selling subseries out of the Call of duty games so i get the mindset of keeping the renowned name at least. It must feel drastically different to warrant a reboot in that case then. I guess they didn't like the association that Call of Duty Modern warfare 4 started with Call of duty 4 modern warfare maybe? Eh idek.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
It's true. Game is a reboot of the Modern Warfare series, not a follow-up to MW3.

Press and influencers played it this week. It sounds pretty freaking good from what I've heard. New engine and new takes on classic Call of Duty, more realistic. I'm hesitant to say more because they'll show it soon and I don't want to ruin anything, but Call of Duty fans should be excited about what's coming, specially those who feel the franchise has ran a little stagnant.

Sir, don't play with my emotions.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it will be "Modern Warfare" in the sense of MW1/MW2 with less fancy gadgets/drones/etc or more down the "near future" lane. Hopefully the former.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Should have gone all in on this whole reboot, same name, thing and went with The Call of Duty

May 15, 2019
Couldn't they add a part to the subtitle? Like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Forces or something? I'm not a fan of having the name mirror COD 4 and the remaster THAT closely.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul

But seriously are they going back to mw1 and 2 then we're just gonna see an alternative take on that? That'd be strange for this type of game but it'd be interesting to see how they do it. I'd actually consider getting it if it looks good.

If it's nothing like that then I can't imagine that they're using the name MW for any other reason than nostalgia.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Modern Warfare 2 better in terms of weapons and map aesthetics design but this could be great, too.
I'm just very glad we're back to a contemporary setting.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand why people are so caught up about this.

Games are rebooted all the time. God of War is a great example.

Do we really need a number to know which one it is? CoD4 is always gonna be CoD2. MW2 is going to be MW2. It's not that confusing.

Aug 23, 2018
Call of duty modern warfare infinite.

Also, who gives a fuck? This has happened to a number of franchises around the 4th to 6th installment

Status
Not open for further replies.