• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Thread posted on behalf of Pepin

I just published a section of an interview I did with Michael Condrey of Sledgehammer Studios, talking mostly about the social evolution of CoD, where Headquarters Mode came from, and where it's going.

Call of Duty: World War II's Headquarters Mode "just a springboard", takes more inspiration from World of Warcraft than from Destiny

Some highlights:

Sledgehammer co-founder Michael Condrey suggests that this is just the start of Call of Duty's social revolution.

"I think we all recognise the gaming today is as much about the second-to-second experience as it is about the social experience and community," Condrey explained.

"Gamers love to be social in many different ways and that's something we've been putting together for six years, and in six years so much has changed.

"What we knew six years ago was that there was no social interaction in multiplayer. If you go back to Modern Warfare 3, your entire expression as a player was your Gamertag and your rank. That's it.

"All that investment, all that time - it all came down to your Gamertag, your K/D ratio, your rank. We recognised we weren't servicing the community in a way we could and so in Advanced Warfare, we bought that character alive for the first time.

"Headquarters is just a springboard into greater things we want to do, too," Condrey reveals.

"It's been a long journey. As a gamer wanting to be social with my friends in more innovative and more immersive ways, we look back to the early days of World of Warcraft.

"This was a beautiful world, where I had my character and my accomplishments. I'm out questing, doing all these things, then that first time you walk into Orgrimmar, and you realise there's this entire world of people here, of community and self-expression.

"That imprinted in us that we need something like that for Call of Duty".

Any thoughts?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Social spaces are cool. So I'm looking forward to see how it grows. Hope to see holiday changes to the space during those times!

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of social spaces in online games instead of having just menus. I love lobbies in ArcSys fighting games and the plaza in Splatoon looks really cool. I kinda want something similar in Halo 6.