• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I all but cleared the depths area of the demo.

The Queen's Knight is just unfair and unfun to fight against. The same attack can sometimes not be blocked or evaded at random with a follow-through swing that tracks you through your evade to do about 600 damage.

I can get it down to about 1/4 life before some telegraphed move that I block eats through my guard and hits me with one extra attack in focus.

Without the active berserker trait to increase stagger, I don't think I could get as far as I did in this fight.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone noticed any improvements from the alpha? I'd like to try this but I'm feeling a bit lazy at the moment

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't realize just how much they were trying to ape the souls games with this. I had an ok time with the demo but I think I'm out. Don't really enjoy this kind of combat and not being able to pause (as far as I've seen) is a complete deal breaker as a parent.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for opinions, and this game isn't perfect, but my dude, Lords Of The Fallen? Really?
As an aside, can I ask what was wrong with Lords of the Fallen? I played it when it first released and it came off as a perfectly competent, if paint-by-numbers Souls clone. A bit on the easier side but that was one of the things I liked about it. My Souls training paid off.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
As an aside, can I ask what was wrong with Lords of the Fallen? I played it when it first released and it came off as a perfectly competent, if paint-by-numbers Souls clone. A bit on the easier side but that was one of the things I liked about it. My Souls training paid off.

For me it boiled down to boring environments and unmemorable bosses. I don't think it's a bad game, but it definitely wasn't for me

Oct 26, 2017

The Queen's Knight is just unfair and unfun to fight against. The same attack can sometimes not be blocked or evaded at random with a follow-through swing that tracks you through your evade to do about 600 damage.

I can get it down to about 1/4 life before some telegraphed move that I block eats through my guard and hits me with one extra attack in focus.

Without the active berserker trait to increase stagger, I don't think I could get as far as I did in this fight.

Yeah, blocking this enemy is suicide lol. The trick is, weirdly enough, to go all out aggression on it and dodge towards it constantly. The only move you need to dodge differently is the cross explosion, where you just dodge sideways.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

It's possible to evade all of his attacks, once you get down the timing it's a breeze (blocking is suicide, yes), though I did have a tough time initially as I couldn't just dmg sponge him like most bosses in Souls for example on first playthrough.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, yeah. I can definitely see the complaints about it being generic, but people are out here acting like it's the worst game ever.

I hate anime games and I'm eh on Souls games, but I've followed this for some time (and tried it out at NYCC years back) and I've got to say that there is a ton of polish and cool character creation options here.

Not seeing anything egregiously shitty here...unless we're talking about the hyperbole present in this thread relative to its quality.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I hate anime games and I'm eh on Souls games, but I've followed this for some time (and tried it out at NYCC years back) and I've got to say that there is a ton of polish and cool character creation options here.

Not seeing anything egregiously shitty here...unless we're talking about the hyperbole present in this thread relative to its quality.
I was specifically talking about Lords of the Fallen in the bit you quoted. I actually enjoyed the Code Vein demo more than I thought I would.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018

I really liked this fight 😅 I beat him solo today at level 1 using the pipe (not rubbing it in, I'm just pleased with the challenge):

You need to at least have "normal" or preferably "quick" mobility and learn the dodge timings; dodge to the side or behind him for sword slashes, towards him for the long thrusts and don't attack if his shield is up. As others have said, don't bother blocking.

The one skill I would encourage you to use is shifting hollow, which can phase through his bullshit spin attack - I haven't found another way to consistently avoid it, but this gift served me well. It also helps in the final phase if you have trouble avoiding his aerial attacks.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

I have to ask, how do you even get to the Depths? I can't seem to figure it out.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked this fight 😅 I beat him solo today at level 1 using the pipe (not rubbing it in, I'm just pleased with the challenge):

You need to at least have "normal" or preferably "quick" mobility and learn the dodge timings; dodge to the side or behind him for sword slashes, towards him for the long thrusts and don't attack if his shield is up. As others have said, don't bother blocking.

The one skill I would encourage you to use is shifting hollow, which can phase through his bullshit spin attack - I haven't found another way to consistently avoid it, but this gift served me well. It also helps in the final phase if you have trouble avoiding his aerial attacks.

Great job on the fight.

I've not really been following this game after the first couple of trailers. After watching the video I'm getting heavy Darksiders 3 vibes from the combat. That is, very 'Souls' but lacking the feedback and generally solid feeling of the Souls games. A solid B grade clone, which is not as bad as it sounds - but I was just surprised to see that it looked as generic as it does.

TheRyzzl

Oct 5, 2018
Alls I know is when the demo was over I definitely was interested in playing more of it. Obviously has it's flaws but was a good enough time. Will pick up down the road on sale.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, a couple of these bosses in the Depths are fucking ridiculous. Especially Fat Fuck 1 and Fat Fuck 2. I feel like I'm getting screwed over because the dodge roll doesn't give you nearly enough distance to dodge these attacks.

Peradam

Jan 11, 2018
Great job on the fight.

I've not really been following this game after the first couple of trailers. After watching the video I'm getting heavy Darksiders 3 vibes from the combat. That is, very 'Souls' but lacking the feedback and generally solid feeling of the Souls games. A solid B grade clone, which is not as bad as it sounds - but I was just surprised to see that it looked as generic as it does.
Thanks! I've never played Darksiders (it's in my library thanks to PS Plus...) but I'd say your description is accurate in terms of it being a B-grade Souls-like.

For anyone interested, they released a list of some (?) of the changes, and I'm not sure if this was posted here but I got it from the Code Vein discord server:

-added the ability to cancel into parry - added the ability to cancel into parry from attacks, drain attack, casting gifts, dodging.
-added the ability to cancel from drain attack - added the ability to cancel the recovery from charge drain attack and combo drain attack into weapon attacks.
-changed the timing for dodging - it's possible to to cancel into a dodge from an attack more quickly now.
-changed the timing for attack cancelling - increase the buffer between attacks. After an attack, you can now cancel into another attack before you return to neutral position.
-changed the cancel timing during wake up animation - it is possible to cancel the wake up animation into dodge and guard more quickly now.
-adjusted backstab while guarding - the ability to use backstab while guarding was unexpectedly trivializing the difficulty. Remove the ability to use backstab while guarding.

-adjustment to guarding - when combined with certain weapons and gifts, we received feedbacks that guarding becomes too powerful. The following adjustment have been made.
-stamina recovery speed while guarding
-damage reduction % while guarding
-the recast time on the gift 大いなる庇護 (The one that increase damage reduction I think?)
we kept guard-centric build as an option for customization but made it require more skill and player input to maintain full damage reduction.
- adjusted boss's reaction to parry - adjustment were made to how boss react to successful parry. Also, player now gain ichor on successful parry.
- adjusted drain effectiveness on blood veils and the amount of ichor gained when successfully parrying a boss - made adjustment to the amount of ichor gained for all drain attacks.
- made it possible to backstab staggered enemies - As long as the requirement for backstab is met, you can now backstab the enemy even when it's staggered. Even when a buddy character stagger an enemy you can perform backstab on it now.
- adjusted the detection range of the back facing enemy in destroyed city underground area - the backstab tutorial enemy now has less of a detection radius making it easier to backstab it.
- increase the accuracy of bayonet shooting attack - when firing at small or elevated enemy, the bayonet shooting attack was not connecting, we made adjustment to increase the accuracy.

-adjusted the stun status effect - stun was a little too effective against enemies, we made adjustment to Gifts related to stun and enemy resistance to stun.
-added enemy reaction to being hit - when player's attack connect with an enemy, enemy character now physically react to the attack. Added a mini-hitstun animation that does not interrupt the enemy's attack. Attacking should now have more solid feel when your attacks connect with an enemy.
- changed the timing for enemy to go into death animation - when an enemy dies while it's waking up, it now directly goes into its death animation.
- added more Gifts to buddy - Added additional Gifts to buddy characters that suits their personality and style.
- decrease the size of the visual effect of buddy's Gifts - When a buddy attack the same target as the player, it was negatively affecting visibility of the target, we've decreased the size of the visual effect.
-added idle motion for buddy - When out in the field, buddy now have two types of idle animation they can play randomly.
-adjusted camera distance, camera behavior while locked on - in order to allow player a better view of their surrounding on the battle field the camera has been pulled back further from the player. Also, to give player a easier time judging distance from their target, we now made the camera move higher when player get close to their lock-on target. (Except for large enemies)
-adjusted the behavior of the camera when deactivating lock-on - since locking on now make the camera move higher, when unlocking from a target, the camera now automatically lowers to the previous angle.

-adjusted the camera for special drain attack - to comply with the camera changes, the cinematic camera for drain attack has also been adjusted.
-adjusted lock-on marker during special drain attack - in order to make it clear what you're lock-on to we now made the lock-on marker visible during special drain attack.
-special drain attack (cinematic on) ...adjusted the timing for lock-on marker display
-special drain attack (cinematic off) ...lock-on marker is always displayed
-change the blinking color when stamina gauge is low - in order to make it easier to see stamina gauge being low, the stamina gauge now blinks in a different color.
-adjusted the rule to displaying focus gauge - the focus gauge is now not displayed when there's no change to it. When the focus gauge go up, it now lights up for an instant. This should make it easier to notice when you go into Focus state.
-added training room - in order to allow player to practice parrying and attacks with no risk, a training area has been added.
-increase the radius for dialogues required for story advancement - in order to make sure people don't accidentally skip important story dialogue from moving around, the radius for the dialogues to continue has been increased.
-change the graphical effect for resting at a bonfire - we received feedback that a white screen was too bright so we've now changed it to a black screen.
-updated respawn location when entering the Depth - when you enter the Depth, the respawn location will now automatically be changed to inside the Depth.

Since others have asked, weapon attack feedback is still lacking, which was an issue that was raised during the network test and one that I'd hoped could be overcome by launch, but it feels as though you're whiffing a sword through air when an attack strikes an enemy. The sound effects are fine, but it's like you're meeting no resistance. Some have said they don't find any problems with it, so ymmv. Parrying bosses is also still pointless, dammit. But I can live with that, and they've at least attempted to fix some of the strange quirks like clunky enemy movement and confusing death animations that left you swinging at a standing corpse.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded and played a bit. It's alright. Still think this should've been a faster paced, character action game, but oh well. Might buy at a lower price down the line. Think Ni-Oh 2 will be my last Souls-like game for a while.

Love the extensive customization options though.

Oct 31, 2017
I just played it for a couple of hours. I really liked it!

The story is kind of groan-worthy so far, but i like the oppressive atmosphere.

Definitely gonna buy this, but probably when it's $30

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I couldnt play it for more than 20 minutes

The gigantic breast waifu made my eyes roll

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Heh heh, backstabbing mini-bosses is cool.
fvVQL92.gif

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How did you even kill one of those? I ways get obliterated almost immediately.
I'm probably over-leveled at this point. Sitting at around 31. I can't quite solo them yet, but the Vanguard is a pushover for me. There's a shitload of metagame in there. I've seen some videos where people are bodying the Queen's Knight at level 1. Some of the blood code builds are downright broken.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Been looking forward to this for years. Played the alpha and enjoyed it.

Wish we had a PC demo. Hoping it supports 21:9, otherwise I would consider purchasing it on console.

Do we know how it runs on PS4 Pro vs XBOX One X? I may load it up on both and do some A/B testing.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do we know how it runs on PS4 Pro vs XBOX One X? I may load it up on both and do some A/B testing.
Pro here. I'm guessing it's over 1080p and shooting for 60fps. Some of the stills I've taken in the character editor and at the hub almost look hand drawn, digital colored. The frame rate is a bit uneven, but the seat of my pants says it probably doesn't dip below the mid-40s. Feels stuttery with a bunch of larger enemies on screen. I'm still not familiar enough with stun times so it's hard to say if this affects gameplay.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Still working on soloing the second area. As I said before, the Vanguard is a non-threat. The Noblewomen are still pretty tough. They like to clump together making it difficult to read their moves.

Possible demo spoilers if you haven't gotten to the second part yet:

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My issue is that I have a hard time dodging their attacks. The dodge roll doesn't give you enough distance.
Don't roll away, roll toward. Blocking works well too. Just make sure you don't eat a hammer thrust. That shit will break your block.

Forget the other video. This was a competent, straight through run. No deaths or heals. Plasma is probably going to get nerfed in the final game. It feels really op.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Should I be using a regular sword or my enormous anime-sword that I normally use?
You can use either, though you'll need the heavy sword to tank their hits on block. Just wait for opening and punish when you can. Don't get greedy though. Don't try to get in that extra hit. They'll one-shot you. Teleport dash helps too. I used it to get out of their way and control space early in the fight on that last video.

I don't know how I missed it but I just watched the lvl 1 pipe Queen's Knight fight from Peradam

Madness. I feel so inadequate now. Lol

Peradam

Jan 11, 2018
Should I be using a regular sword or my enormous anime-sword that I normally use?
You might have already beaten them by now, but as ExitPlanetDust said, either will work. Further up they also showed that you can backstab those bosses, so keep that in mind because it deals a ton of damage.

Are you going solo or with a partner? Yakumo is a tank, and it's worth bringing him along to at least draw the attention of one of the noblewomen. Also, are you using any buffs, like strength up, venom, etc. to maximise damage? The shifting hollow skill is really broken - it's cheap to use and allows you to phase through attacks, so if you feel that rolling isn't getting you out of harm's way, try using that too.

The Prometheus gift "Hasten" is expensive to unlock but can be used to boost your mobility, so if you've equipped a heavy weapon and you've got the normal rolling animation, Hasten temporarily grants you the sliding blue-sparkly type movement which is quicker and covers a greater distance.