• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
I played the demo. It's pretty good! I'll buy it or request it for Christmas if someone asks.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Played the demo for a bit.

Pros:
- Its anime (a plus for me)
- Music is great
- Character creator is very detailed and far superior to any other Souls game (reminds me somewhat of the one in Black Desert Online). The models actually look good compared to the pretty unappealing models in all Soulsborne games
- A partner is a huge plus for me. I suck at these games, and having an npc partner is always something I wanted in Souls games
- Runs smoothly
- Better than Lord of the Fallen

Cons:
- Combat is not bad but lacks the impact of Dark Souls and Bloodborne. It's reminiscent of (unsurprisingly) God Eater 3. Its a bit like a mix between Surge (minus the parts slicing) and Lord of The Fallen but I think its closer to Surge which is a good thing in my book.
- Level design so far is not great compared to the Soulsborne games. Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne it is not
- The story doesn't seem very interesting so far
- Seems to be needlessly complicated in how many mechanics it expects you to master (they really needed to tone it down since a lot of it could be more organically implemented imho)
- So far it lacks the atmosphere of Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Its not oppressive and ominous enough. Man these games were dripping with it (so was Sekiro)
- Want more loot. I think Nioh spoiled me
- Still hard as nails (that is likely a plus for nearly everyone else though)

Overall, I think I will give it a shot but this game made me want to resume the Bloodborne playthrough more than anything lol

Last edited:

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
I wonder why they don't even bother to put demo on PC. I want to check how my PC perform befire buying it.

Anyway tried the demo on PS4, still more or less the same as the previous demo. Nothing change much. Still doesn't give me a good impression.

Big anime tiddies tho.

Koeta

Dec 12, 2017
I was on a media black out on this but I was expecting it to be much more like God Eater in combat which was on the slow side,
but I'm happy to say it's not like that at all, feels very souls like to me.

I went from maybe to day 1 from checking out the demo on XB1X (getting on PC though lol)

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
Did a quick search for fun and:

CV's director: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2637030/
CV's designer: https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,823778/
CV's producer: https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,824315/

The composer is also the same, Go Shiina.

Looks like there's plenty of God Eater vets on that team.
God Eater 3 was developed by Marvelous Inc.'s First Studio. Not a single mention of Shift which handled all previous God Eater games. We still have to see who did the grunt work on Code Vein.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The demo gets better as it goes on but it feels lacking in a number of ways. No real impact when getting hit or attacking and the level design doesn't start off on a strong foot. Maybe I'll get it on a deep sale.

The character designs are absolute trash as well but then I didn't expect much in that regard.

Nec

The Fallen
Mar 12, 2019
I liked the game's aesthetics but I've seen better combat and animations in thoses generic f2p chinese mmorpg. I was otimistic until I played this demo, damn.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I wonder why they don't even bother to put demo on PC. I want to check how my PC perform befire buying it.

Anyway tried the demo on PS4, still more or less the same as the previous demo. Nothing change much. Still doesn't give me a good impression.

Big anime tiddies tho.
datamines, ability to unlock intended parts duh also optimizing for PC takes time also people would bitch about if any feature wasnt in maybe they are in full version graphic setting , mouse kb / display supports etc...
why even bother for demo for PC
lots of choices if you are on budget

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Depends how good are you. The last boss is legit tough.

I beat all Dark Souls games multiple times (also completed a soul level 1 run), platinumed Bloodborne, and 100% on Sekiro (with like 5/6 playthroughs) and I never summoned whenever I played a game for the first time. So I should be ok hopefully lol. I don't know much about this game though, just that it's similairish only in anime style.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
gotta try the demo. Game comes out as soon as I leave town :/ so unfortunately ill probably have to wait a bit to get it that being said hopefully its on sale by then

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I beat all Dark Souls games multiple times (also completed a soul level 1 run), platinumed Bloodborne, and 100% on Sekiro (with like 5/6 playthroughs) and I never summoned whenever I played a game for the first time. So I should be ok hopefully lol. I don't know much about this game though, just that it's similairish only in anime style.
But did you beat them at lvl1, blindfolded with the guitar controller using your feet?

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded it, will play after work. Also have it pre ordered cause I'm a sucker for anime vampires.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
so uh, this game is actually pretty rad. i recognize im easily impressed compared to some of my fellow Reseteros, but i didnt hate my time with this like i expected to. character creation is great, and you can look kinda cool right from the beginning (the only other game i can think of off the top of my head that made me feel like i looked awesome even in low-level armor was Dragon's Dogma). plus, im a pretty big weeb from the old school and every now and then i get that itch i gotta scratch, and this really is kinda Animu Souls, even down to cutscene direction and dialogue. but the gameplay is there, and while i wont say its anywhere near as "sophisticated" as what youd get from the Souls franchise or Bloodborne (or Sekiro), it works. there's depth to the mechanics (maybe too much right off the bat...) and the Blood Code system seems interesting, if a little daunting. and while in the demo it seems like you can steamroll the lesser mobs, the boss/mini-boss fights are pretty tough.

my only real complaint is for something that cant actually be fixed, and its that i wish the game had gone full 80s/90s animu fantasy setting as opposed to this grimdark, post-apoc vampy-bois yarn. maybe they'll make a follow-up where i can kill some dragons dressed like Parn.

actually, two complaints: level design is kinda bleh, at least from the brief snippet ive seen.

im not gonna grab this at launch, but whereas i would probably never have picked it up, im certainly more inclined to nab it somewhere down the line.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
You are a skilled hunter, adept, merciless, half-cut with blood. As the best hunters are.
So probably roughly two hours.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
You are a skilled hunter, adept, merciless, half-cut with blood. As the best hunters are.
So probably roughly two hours.

Alright, I'll try it out and see how long it takes me. Sekiro took me a while to get used too, so I'll see how this goes.

Edit: Took an hour and a half, and most of that was cutscenes and exploring the hub at the end lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If I end up with the retail version, this will be my first venture into soulsborne...

...bug goddamnit I love this character creator.

L4DB0w2.jpg

TIj2uRA.jpg

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
If I end up with the retail version, this will be my first venture into soulsborne...

...bug goddamnit I love this character creator.

I didn't mess around with it too much, but I quickly made a guy. But he just looks like a girl lol. No beard options I believe? Which doesn't really fit with the mask theme I suppose but yea, guys look way too girly. Guess I'll make a girl in the real game.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Beat the demo, the initial area is ridiculously easy as is the boss, but the secondary area is a little more challenging, the Queen's Knight in particular is a tough fight that took me a few tries to power through.

The combat isn't as refined as a Soul's game, but it's certainly passable. Though magic seems to be ridiculously overpowered.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Demo is pretty cool, convinced me to buy it day one.

Liked the optional area, it was more challenging and it made the combat system shine a little bit better.

The "coat" parries and special attacks are pretty cool.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Got into the demo a bit. Really enjoyed the gameplay. As I said above, I haven't played any of the Souls games or Bloodborne so I can only compare it to other gaming experiences. The combat feels very older gen 3D games. Kind of like Tenchu, haha. Careful attack planning. Even basic enemies will fuck you up if you don't pay attention.

I didn't mess around with it too much, but I quickly made a guy. But he just looks like a girl lol. No beard options I believe? Which doesn't really fit with the mask theme I suppose but yea, guys look way too girly. Guess I'll make a girl in the real game.
Haha! I hadn't considered a male character. I haven't optionally played as male characters in years. More of the 2nd character:

SnW7Ngl.jpg

VqKsix1.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
Hmmmm I tried the demo on both PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, and I don't know which one to get! I know the PS4 will probably have a larger online community. Any graphics comparisons out there, or has anyone else played both?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Anyone else noticed the micro stutters when rotating the camera? It's like the framerate is unlocked, feels like Witcher 3 on Xbox One when it had just launched.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
This character creator is fan-fucking-tastic. I literally haven't spent a single second playing the actual game yet.

PxTlyur.png

ZQ9wIhq.png

sP8Y2Mf.png

ONnKNBs.png

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
Iirc someone mentioned that the delay wasn't due to Code Vein itself but because of God Eater 3.

God Eater 3 was stuck in development hell so they basically had the team stop working on CV to help finish GE3.

If true this means that CV didn't really benefit (or lose out) from the delay, which is also why the previous playable demo was so similar to the gameplay we saw before the delay.

Oh, interesting. Thanks for that tidbit.

Like you said, that would explain a lot about the state of the game and the perceived lack of progress.

Would make it doubly extra stupid to release it NOW though, in a September as packed as few are and with a somewhat direct competitor in Surge 2. Though to be fair, commercially Surge is not a big deal, so it might not even really ring true as a competitor to higher ups in Japan.

Weird situation all around.

Anyone else noticed the micro stutters when rotating the camera? It's like the framerate is unlocked, feels like Witcher 3 on Xbox One when it had just launched.

I've only played like half an hour in this demo, but yeah, I'm pretty sure the framerate is uncapped and fluctuating quite a bit.

eggs

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if I be able to transfer my save from the demo to the main game? Or at least, all the characters I ended up creating in the character creator?

This game is pretty rad and definitely wears its Soulsfluence on its sleeve. I dig it! It ended up being more challenging than I expected, which is awesome.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally got around to giving this a shot today and.... it's not bad? It doesn't seem particularly difficult, but I say this as a longtime Souls vet. Some of the combat controls seem pretty solid as well. And the character creator is pretty amazing. There are over 60 options just in EYES.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked this a lot more than I was expecting to. Haven't seen this mentioned, but the special parry animation that triggers sometimes is cool as hell.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Budget Dark Souls. The feedback is weak as fuck, the rythm is not good, nothing fun or interesting in it. It's even worse than Lord of Fallen.
Its obvious you didnt play lords of the fallen or you just wanna hate, this games runa way way better than lords of the fallen.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Budget Dark Souls. The feedback is weak as fuck, the rythm is not good, nothing fun or interesting in it. It's even worse than Lord of Fallen.
I mean, the controls are a bit stiff, certainly. I don't mind the anime aesthetic, especially when it runs at 60fps. Dark Souls visuals always looked a bit...muddy to me. You can't deny that the character creator is phenomenal, though.

Also, I kinda liked Lords of the Fallen.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I mean, the controls are a bit stiff, certainly. I don't mind the anime aesthetic, especially when it runs at 60fps. Dark Souls visuals always looked a bit...muddy to me. You can't deny that the character creator is phenomenal, though.

Also, I kinda liked Lords of the Fallen.
Yes, the character creator is full of options, it's the only positive point I saw in the demo. I'm just not really into that specific anime style !