• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
If you're not a fan of anime maybe not. Have you seen the opening movie? 😂
Maybe try the demo.

Demo is legit the worst part of the game for me.

If your love of Souls outweighs your dislike of anime I'd give it a shot.

O0DhkCb.jpg

I had a feeling this would look pretty cool from the outside, didn't expect it to look that good though.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Played it quite a bit, middle of anime londo and into special vestige, I wanna share some impressions.

This game is fun, no doubt about it, and for the flaws, I feel they are the "not quite cutting it flaws", where everything falls a little short from being amazing, and the reason imho, is the LOW BUDGET. I like the game, but here's just some rant.

C'mon, during talking, there isn't even lip animation. They have tracking maps? Cool! But you know why? Because the environment design is damn generic, they designed just a few set pieces, the rest is sorta tiling. Without the maps, it's very hard to differentiate where you are, best example being the cathedral. Damn, that is some really creative tiling, because the cathedral is just square blocks with textures, if they hadn't let you have a map, you'll die here. I do actually like the maze idea, I just dislike the feeling of lazy/low quality work.

The parry timing is quite weird here, you have to parry very very early, not when the hit is about to land, but the moment it starts, and some even earlier.

Next is the camera work, it's bad. Man, not being able to lock when you don't face the enemy is really frustrating, even when you are very near the enemy, you still gotta face it to lock on, plus the camera flies around a lot. Which makes harder to play nimble characters as you dodge around. So I just build a tank, and face enemies head on with blocking, that way the camera doesnt have to move that often.

Why do I have to rest everytime before I want to level up, buy skills etc? This is a weird flaw. Only one music so far for the music box? I am spoiled by Nier. All the gifts and items are just bland, flat single color 2d graphics, again low effort.

The bosses are actually not bad, they are aggresive, and does some creative mechanics, but the balance is a little off i feel. The hardest for me up to Cathedral was actually the butterfly, she is aggresive, the status effect she gave is hell, and her moves are a little harder to read. The rest are... sort of ok? Blocking seems to settle almost everything. The design is also uninspiring, has a low budget feel.

The enemy AI may be dumb, but man they are fast and aggressive, that's why invasions are so damn tough, scarier than boss most of the times.

The combinations of Blood Codes and gifts are actually very refreshing, plus the idea of regenerating ichor is a bliss. I can emphasize how much I hate Dark Souls very limited estus feel. Here you can experiment and use the spells much more often. Code Vein allows for a very fast and agile play style, something that DS don't have.

Overall, I don't think this is actually easier than Dark Souls, I think it's because most people have experienced DS and know what to look out for. Exploration was like a second nature to me, whatever secret passages was discovered so far, but that's only because i have known DS. I understand the idea of fat roll and invincible frames, parrying and backstabbing etc. I believe people who haven't played DS won't find it that easy at all.

Code Vein is really fun, but it's a waste that they didn't put more polish to it to make it amazing.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Anyone else loving the character stories and memory scenes? Because damn, aren't they so well-directed and impactful? I honestly didn't expect that coming from this game.

The memory scenes are probably a bit too slow at times, but I like their presence because it's such a nice change of pace from all the fighting.

The successors stories, in particular, felt so special to me. The build up from the first vestige, then various cutscenes, and finally the boss fights and memory scenes, they're so perfectly directed. I probably haven't witnessed them all as I've just finished the one with Jack and Eva. So good.
I think we're at exactly the same point in the story and I'd have to agree, some of them were more affecting than I had expected. They've done a great job.

I also appreciate the way scenes unfold. It's a minor thing but the animation of creating paths by collapsing and combining structures where the memories' events occur is quite cool. I don't even mind the pace of it when you're in there; it's calm and ethereal, which I love.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I like the memories as well. Also, is it me or is there a small delay when you press the sprint button? Like I'm locked on the enemy and when I try to sprint to the side it doesn't feel as instant or responsive like in souls

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I for one think there's waaaay too much talking in this game. I prefer for Soulslike to shut the hell up, but Nioh was just as bad.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
This game only gets better and better. I imagine I'm about to entry in the last part of the game. Didn't expect such an emotional story.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Almost finished this, now thinking about God Eater 3. How is it story/gameplay wise?

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Almost finished this, now thinking about God Eater 3. How is it story/gameplay wise?
I like both quite a bit, the gameplay in particular is really fun. The story is a bit limited by the fact that there is only so many places you can have cut scenes in a hunting game but it works out in the end.

The games been getting updates post launch so depending on what you feel like you could wait until all the updates are done. I have no idea when that will be though so if your looking at a sale or something (or just have the money) I would say go for it.

I liked it, but be aware its actually by different devs. Marvelous made it while the GE1 and 2 devs made this.

That said I think its the best of the 3.
Yup. The general series heads did still oversee 3 though. I would say the general feel and atmosphere is still largely the same.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I just finished the game tonight and I really enjoyed it.

I got the True Ending and I just read that there's going to be DLC?

Is there any info on whether it's going to be story based?

A few more things...

I felt sorry for Io. On one hand she managed to choose her own path and save everyone but at the same time she's stuck as a tree. I was kind of hoping that she would somehow be able to leave the tree and travel with the group. You could interpret your character calling her name out in the last scene as her maybe coming out but I think it's more likely that you're just affectionately calling out her name before leaving through the Mist. It's a bittersweet ending and I'm glad I got it though.

Also I wonder how Revenants and God Eaters will work going forward. In terms of offensive power God Eaters far outstrip Revenants due to their using weapons that are essentially weaponized Aragami. The two Dyaus Pita who attacked during that one cutscene didn't break a sweat and without Oracle cell based weaponry I don't know how they can fight against anything outside the Red Mist.

Also I hope that the DLC will be story based and continue after the True Ending or something. I know that probably won't happen but I want everyone to have a happy ending, that including Io being able to journey with everyone.

Last edited:

alpha

Oct 25, 2017

A few more things...

I felt sorry for Io. On one hand she managed to choose her own path and save everyone but at the same time she's stuck as a tree. I was kind of hoping that she would somehow be able to leave the tree and travel with the group. You could interpret your character calling her name out in the last scene as her maybe coming out but I think it's more likely that you're just affectionately calling out her name before leaving through the Mist. It's a bittersweet ending and I'm glad I got it though.

Also I wonder how Revenants and God Eaters will work going forward. In terms of offensive power God Eaters far outstrip Revenants due to their using weapons that are essentially weaponized Aragami. The two Dyaus Pita who attacked during that one cutscene didn't break a sweat and without Oracle cell based weaponry I don't know how they can fight against anything outside the Red Mist.

Also I hope that the DLC will be story based and continue after the True Ending or something. I know that probably won't happen but I want everyone to have a happy ending, that including Io being able to journey with everyone.

I'd assume that's what the DLC will deal with, how Revenants are going to fight the Horrors/Aragami. I'd assume there's going to be some method to allow them to do so.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019

A few more things...

Io's sacrifice reminds me of Julius' sacrifice in GE2 which essentially left him stuck in a giant tree to save the planet. Considering that the GE2 party is able to end up saving him from his fate in the GE2 Rage Burst storyline, I think the same could be done for Io. I'm also reminded of how Shio had her own sacrifice in the original GE leaving her alone on the moon. These bittersweet endings seem to be the norm for this world.

I wouldn't if the reason we know so little about the season pass is because there will be some GE stuff in it>

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
I'm stuck in the boss
Cannoneer and Blade Bearer

In what planet is this battle balanced and fair?

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
I think this is the best non From Soft soulslike since Nioh. Awesome action rpg with a surprisingly good story and i love all the customization.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I'm stuck in the boss
Cannoneer and Blade Bearer

In what planet is this battle balanced and fair?

Take out Blade Bearer first. She has much less HP and once she's down Cannoneer is a chump. If you aren't using the AI partner it's gonna be rough regardless. Don't overcommit even when Blade Bearer is open as Cannoneer loves to drop that Power Geyser right under you while you aren't paying attention which is the actual killer in that fight.

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
So for the "souls" you collect, is it better to go for leveling or upgrading weapons/blood veils? I seem to just be getting a bunch and don't know the most effective thing to pump them into since you're not really customizing your levels.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I think this is the best non From Soft soulslike since Nioh. Awesome action rpg with a surprisingly good story and i love all the customization.
Tbf, there weren't that many Souls-like game released since Nioh. The only notable one was The Surge and I do agree that this is better than that. In terms of enemy and environment variety, as well as bossees, this game dwarfs The Surge by a mile. Combat is the only thing lacking in Code Vein compared to that game.

Also, Code Vein is the closest thing to Souls in terms of mechanics and systems. While at the same time, the game is also doing a lot of its own thing. I like the balance between the fighting and cutscenes. Souls games are all about fighting with very little cutscenes, but in Code Vein you get a lot of both of them.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
Take out Blade Bearer first. She has much less HP and once she's down Cannoneer is a chump. If you aren't using the AI partner it's gonna be rough regardless. Don't overcommit even when Blade Bearer is open as Cannoneer loves to drop that Power Geyser right under you while you aren't paying attention which is the actual killer in that fight.

Thank you for the help mate ;)

I was actually trying something like you described, but was not working, I was dying over and over again. I guess I was just too tired to do it as it should. Had few hours of sleep, came back and killed the boss in the 1st attempt :D Then also easily killed the one after.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
Tbf, there weren't that many Souls-like game released since Nioh. The only notable one was The Surge and I do agree that this is better than that. In terms of enemy and environment variety, as well as bossees, this game dwarfs The Surge by a mile. Combat is the only thing lacking in Code Vein compared to that game.

Also, Code Vein is the closest thing to Souls in terms of mechanics and systems. While at the same time, the game is also doing a lot of its own thing. I like the balance between the fighting and cutscenes. Souls games are all about fighting with very little cutscenes, but in Code Vein you get a lot of both of them.

IMO the combat is closer to Monster Hunter World than to Souls. Because of that, as a "souls game" I prefer The Surge. But I agree Code Vein is doing a lot of different (and good) things. I'm having a blast playing it.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Next is the camera work, it's bad. Man, not being able to lock when you don't face the enemy is really frustrating, even when you are very near the enemy, you still gotta face it to lock on, plus the camera flies around a lot. Which makes harder to play nimble characters as you dodge around. So I just build a tank, and face enemies head on with blocking, that way the camera doesnt have to move that often.

Why do I have to rest everytime before I want to level up, buy skills etc? This is a weird flaw. Only one music so far for the music box? I am spoiled by Nier. All the gifts and items are just bland, flat single color 2d graphics, again low effort.

Both of these are cuz Dark Souls. You can't lock on unless you face enemies with the camera there either.

Second one is also Dark Souls, but it's slightly less pointless. The reason you can only level up by resting is to force you to carry around all the haze you accumulated and make risk of dying and potentially losing it all higher. IF you just could cash it in at any point, entire "reclaim your souls by getting back to place you died" would not exist and that's a huge part of Souls-likes.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the mods so far are lacklustre. I hope we get some good mods soon. I'd love to have more clothing options for one.

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those teleport moves always mess with my camera, it's such a huge annoyance for otherwise fun boss fights, and if I were to remove lock on it'd be hard to track the boss on top of having to move my thumb away from the face buttons to adjust the camera.

Flame weapons melt it pretty quickly making them obsolete.

But yeah, until I learned that [the very hard way] they fuckin' suuuuucked.

I haven't really used the elemental buffs in the game, they're probably my least favorite part of this type of games because those things are so situational, I might use them more on a new game+ now that I've tried/learned all the skills.

I've mostly used the buffs that lower stamina cost, because damn, I hate having to wait for that stamina bar to move after every few attacks/dodges.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm just skipping invasions now. There's literally no point to doing them as far as I can tell. The rewards were shit so far and they're way too hard if you solo. Run in, grab the items, flee to a bonfire.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Those teleport moves always mess with my camera, it's such a huge annoyance for otherwise fun boss fights, and if I were to remove lock on it'd be hard to track the boss on top of having to move my thumb away from the face buttons to adjust the camera.

I haven't really used the elemental buffs in the game, they're probably my least favorite part of this type of games because those things are so situational, I might use them more on a new game+ now that I've tried/learned all the skills.

I've mostly used the buffs that lower stamina cost, because damn, I hate having to wait for that stamina bar to move after every few attacks/dodges.

Every time I use a consumable weapon buff they only last for seriously 5 seconds. So if the boss is attacking you can maybe hit him once with it. Also haven't found a use for any of them anyway because my damage stayed the same every time I tried one. Guess the fire buff for those ice giant is the only one I know of that works.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is impossible to swallow a single healing flask in the second half of the Gilded Hunter fight, jfc. I keep dying with the full amount of flasks.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
My issue with the camera is that I feel like it needs a bit of zoom out adjustment, it's too close.

It is impossible to swallow a single healing flask in the second half of the Gilded Hunter fight, jfc. I keep dying with the full amount of flasks.
Yeah, that boss was nasty. So many ranged attacks with short charge, as well as deadly combos. It's a patience test, ultimately.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My issue with the camera is that I feel like it needs a bit of zoom out adjustment, it's too close.

Yeah, that boss was nasty. So many ranged attacks with short charge, as well as deadly combos. It's a patience test, ultimately.
I just killed him. He reverts back to his 1st form eventually, than you can finish him off.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Maxing our some of the later gifts is a bit of a pain. I'm getting closer to having them all maxed out though.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Both of these are cuz Dark Souls. You can't lock on unless you face enemies with the camera there either.

Second one is also Dark Souls, but it's slightly less pointless. The reason you can only level up by resting is to force you to carry around all the haze you accumulated and make risk of dying and potentially losing it all higher. IF you just could cash it in at any point, entire "reclaim your souls by getting back to place you died" would not exist and that's a huge part of Souls-likes.
Eh, not really, given that I kinda forgot how Dark Souls work, but in DS3, side ways still lets you lock on to the enemies, and the camera work certainly osn't as shaky as this, as well as easily locking off just because they hit you.

Nah, the 2nd one is really pointless, it's just an extra step annoying, it's like how in Bloodborne you gotta return to base just to teleport to another place, there is no meaning to it, just additional hassle. You can't level up/cash in anywhere but on the mistle, that's a given. All I ask is when I want to level up, change inventory, and buy skills, I can do so without: Rest>lvlup>Inventory>Rest>buy skill>Rest>teleport. In DS3, rest is rest, period

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished the game,. Well...this was awesome. After play the demo I didn't expect such a great game. The part from the demo is by far (but really far) the worst part of the game, from there it keeps getting better and better.

Fun, great story and amazing OST. I hope this series continues.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game,. Well...this was awesome. After play the demo I didn't expect such a great game. The part from the demo is by far (but really far) the worst part of the game, from there it keeps getting better and better.

Fun, great story and amazing OST. I hope this series continues.
I just beat the Successor of the Claw. How far am I roughly?

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've been messing around with hair extensions and now I'm running into the accessory limit. Not being able to swap faces or adjust body type is starting to annoy me a bit as well. I made a pretty convincing Momiji, but I can't swap to a more appropriate face without dropping back to a new save.

I really hope they patch in the ability to totally re-edit your character in a committed game.