• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I've been messing around with hair extensions and now I'm running into the accessory limit. Not being able to swap faces or adjust body type is starting to annoy me a bit as well. I made a pretty convincing Momiji, but I can't swap to a more appropriate face without dropping back to a new save.

I really hope they patch in the ability to totally re-edit your character in a committed game.
!!! I want to see.

Yeah, I would also be interested in being able to totally re-edit your character. That was a really cool aspect of the Nioh 2 demo for me. Seeing as you can save presets too, it would only make sense to be able to change your character.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Does it force you into NG+? I'm pretty close to the end. Like very close.
No, after you beat the game continuing will return you right before the final battle. To start NG+ you have to go back to home base and examine the exit which will now have an icon on it. You'll be given the NG+ option of either: going though the story again at the same level of difficulty at your current level or going though the story again at a high difficulty at your current level.

The only things that don't carry over as far as I can tell are the Depth maps and the vestiges fragments (don't worry though, you do keep the blood codes).

Thanks, looks great!

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
78rVsLJ.gif

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I beat it.

Ultimately I liked it but it's got quite a few things I'd like to see improved.

So first the Good.

1. I liked the story and the characters. They were all fairly likable. I thought the vestiges and their memories were well done even if lacked visual variety.
2. Wealth of build options.
3. Combat generally was pretty fun if a bit weightless at times. Getting to quick dodge really helped make it feel better.
4. Generally the bosses were pretty alright if a bit on the easy side.

The Bad.

1. The level design ranges from incredibly mediocre to just straight bad with the Anime Londo level being the worst for both it's length and lack of any interesting mechanics to keep the area interesting. It also likes to repeat stuff way too often.
2. Having both variety and no variety at the same time. Ultimately most zones in the game are in ruins of some kinds which is expected for a post-apocalyptic game but still got a bit tiring after awhile.
3. Enemy variety is pretty low. You fight the same enemies from start to finish with some areas having maybe 1 to 2 unique enemies with the rest being returns.
4. Seriously, could we get a female boss that is humanoid that doesn't have giant breasts with jiggle physics?

So overall I'll be there to check out a sequel but I hope it can get a bigger budget and improve on the bad. Also the combat having a bit more heft to it would be nice.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Has anyone played around with buff stacking? I started today after focusing on mastering gifts, but I wish I'd begun sooner because it's pretty broken and it could've made a few bosses a little easier.

This was all done with a +9 obliterator axe using mid/later-game gifts on my level 1 character, so higher levels would no doubt achieve higher damage figures. I also tried it on a few of the depths bosses (only as far as the snow area).

17155 damage against the training bag at the base...

I went back and tried swapping things out and using the hp->ichor gift. This next one is much improved but contains a partner spoiler for late-ish game, watch at your own risk, but I eventually managed to one-shot the snow area boss. I also hit the training bag for 32956 damage:

I'm sure there are more ways to increase damage but I haven't finished the game and still need to get all the codes, play around with the gifts, etc.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone played around with buff stacking? I started today after focusing on mastering gifts, but I wish I'd begun sooner because it's pretty broken and it could've made a few bosses a little easier.

This was all done with a +9 obliterator axe using mid/later-game gifts on my level 1 character, so higher levels would no doubt achieve higher damage figures. I also tried it on a few of the depths bosses (only as far as the snow area).

I went back and tried swapping things out and using the hp->ichor gift. This next one is much improved but contains a partner spoiler for late-ish game, watch at your own risk, but I eventually managed to one-shot the snow area boss. I also hit the training bag for 32956 damage:

I'm sure there are more ways to increase damage but I haven't finished the game and still need to get all the codes, play around with the gifts, etc.

Which buffs do you suggest?

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I'm still lagging behind, but I'm already starting to stack status element gifts for damage. One of my builds has plasma, fire, poison, and adrenaline. I activate all and enjoy the stack while I carve through boss health. Haha, oh the mistakes you can make when the boss is only up for a few seconds.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Which buffs do you suggest?
I started with bridge to glory + flashing fang / blow of madness + any elemental weakness buff, which is good for the initial strike. Then I realised you could expend hp to gain ichor, replace any gifts you don't immediately need and keep stacking, which is what I did in the second video.

In normal gameplay I almost never stack this many buffs but I think this could be useful against bosses. I main the obliterator axe because it's really powerful for a halberd class weapon and can use that particular gift in the videos. I don't think I could get close to those values with a greatsword, for example.

I'm still lagging behind, but I'm already starting to stack status element gifts for damage. One of my builds has plasma, fire, poison, and adrenaline. I activate all and enjoy the stack while I carve through boss health. Haha, oh the mistakes you can make when the boss is only up for a few seconds.
Until now, I'd only stacked a couple of buffs while I kept other gifts equipped so I could master them, so I'm pretty late to this. There's a lot of trial and error for sure. The worst was always the rush to apply venom before the boss wrecks you and the buff runs out, because the cooldown is a pain in the arse.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Until now, I'd only stacked a couple of buffs while I kept other gifts equipped so I could master them, so I'm pretty late to this. There's a lot of trial and error for sure. The worst was always the rush to apply venom before the boss wrecks you and the buff runs out, because the cooldown is a pain in the arse.
Yeah just stack them and activate all. With only a few elemental exceptions you'll enjoy a ridiculous damage multiplier. Combine with a single hard hit like Blow of Madness and you have one-shot potential if your level is right. Go further by equipping the one-handed mastery passive and you'll be dealing dps on par with broken projectile casts and well beyond what a heavy weapon can do.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Just beat the game earlier, took me 30 hours according to Steam. But I don't think I get the best ending. I'll just watch the other ones on Youtube.

So I beat it.

Ultimately I liked it but it's got quite a few things I'd like to see improved.

So first the Good.

1. I liked the story and the characters. They were all fairly likable. I thought the vestiges and their memories were well done even if lacked visual variety.
2. Wealth of build options.
3. Combat generally was pretty fun if a bit weightless at times. Getting to quick dodge really helped make it feel better.
4. Generally the bosses were pretty alright if a bit on the easy side.

The Bad.

1. The level design ranges from incredibly mediocre to just straight bad with the Anime Londo level being the worst for both it's length and lack of any interesting mechanics to keep the area interesting. It also likes to repeat stuff way too often.
2. Having both variety and no variety at the same time. Ultimately most zones in the game are in ruins of some kinds which is expected for a post-apocalyptic game but still got a bit tiring after awhile.
3. Enemy variety is pretty low. You fight the same enemies from start to finish with some areas having maybe 1 to 2 unique enemies with the rest being returns.
4. Seriously, could we get a female boss that is humanoid that doesn't have giant breasts with jiggle physics?

So overall I'll be there to check out a sequel but I hope it can get a bigger budget and improve on the bad. Also the combat having a bit more heft to it would be nice.
Yeah, I do agree with most of your points. I hope this game is selling well enough to warrant a sequel, and I'll be there.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game earlier, took me 30 hours according to Steam. But I don't think I get the best ending. I'll just watch the other ones on Youtube.

Yeah, I do agree with most of your points. I hope this game is selling well enough to warrant a sequel, and I'll be there.

The other thing I'd like to see improved are the depths. I know they're optional content but they felt very low effort. I liked the idea of mini versions of the zones but I think they would have been better off just doing something like Nioh's side missions where you run through modified versions of the main levels. Didn't help that the major bosses of the depths were repeats of the main bosses who where then repeated again if the depth was of the same tile.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
The other thing I'd like to see improved are the depths. I know they're optional content but they felt very low effort. I liked the idea of mini versions of the zones but I think they would have been better off just doing something like Nioh's side missions where you run through modified versions of the main levels. Didn't help that the major bosses of the depths were repeats of the main bosses who where then repeated again if the depth was of the same tile.
yeah man, i feel like what this game is crucially lacking in budget. They don't even have much marketing done. It's like they knew what they were doing, but lack the extra budget to do the final polishing.

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoying the game so far, still not sure what kind of build to focus on. For now I'm still being bullied by that
butterfly.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So questions regarding the ending... (Massive spoilers, obviously)

So they seem to imply that after Io becomes the blood tree thing, that years pass? It's kind of an awkward transition but Louis mentions, "In the years following" so, not sure if dubism or that's what really happened.

Also I'm a bit confused about the outside world. On one hand the characters say that there are horrors beyond the red mist and that all the transmissions coming from there are just cries for help... But then Jack says at the very end that he still wants to protect the outside from the dangers inside... But they seem to imply the outside is way worse? It's a bit confusing.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking of using the Bayonet but I switched to one-handed swords and I haven't looked back. The range on the bayonet is surprisingly limited and it feels a little cumbersome to use. When you try to dodge and fire it does a melee attack instead of firing the gun which is really inconvenient (and pointless, since you can use a weak attack if you want to melee after dodging). Some of the magic/abilities in this game are SO fun. It's taking a while to wrap my head around stunlocking/poise/parrying/etc. because it seems to be a lot different than it is in the Souls games. It actually seems a lot less forgiving (or consistent).

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
So questions regarding the ending... (Massive spoilers, obviously)

So they seem to imply that after Io becomes the blood tree thing, that years pass? It's kind of an awkward transition but Louis mentions, "In the years following" so, not sure if dubism or that's what really happened.

Also I'm a bit confused about the outside world. On one hand the characters say that there are horrors beyond the red mist and that all the transmissions coming from there are just cries for help... But then Jack says at the very end that he still wants to protect the outside from the dangers inside... But they seem to imply the outside is way worse? It's a bit confusing.
I couldn't say for sure but I image their being honest when they say years have past. I think they it makes since for them to have stayed within the red mist for a while before deciding to leave.

I'd imagine in the same way that Louis is concerned if the outside world will accept Revenants, Jack is concerned about how the Revenants and the Lost will effect the outside world. So I think the idea is that they very much consider both the inside and outside to be very dangerous.

I'm curious as to when this game takes place on the God Eater timeline. There is the whole deal with Revenants losing their memory but it seems a bit weird that everyone would forget about the Aragami, especially when their are still humans that would remember on the inside too. I guess it could be the case that everything with the Queen and the red mist going up happened before the Aragami appeared.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't say for sure but I image their being honest when they say years have past. I think they it makes since for them to have stayed within the red mist for a while before deciding to leave.

I'd imagine in the same way that Louis is concerned if the outside world will accept Revenants, Jack is concerned about how the Revenants and the Lost will effect the outside world. So I think the idea is that they very much consider both the inside and outside to be very dangerous.

I'm curious as to when this game takes place on the God Eater timeline. There is the whole deal with Revenants losing their memory but it seems a bit weird that everyone would forget about the Aragami, especially when their are still humans that would remember on the inside too. I guess it could be the case that everything with the Queen and the red mist going up happened before the Aragami appeared.

Aren't this and God Eater in different universes?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
seems not as they reveal towards the end when the red mist briefly vanished and a dyaus pita attacked

Oh shit so all of the horros that exist outside are the Aragami? So Revenants were created to fight Aragami but then that backfired? And I'm guessing in the time after the red mist showed up they must have developed the God Eater weapons. So then could we see Aragami show up in the DLC potentially?

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh shit so all of the horros that exist outside are the Aragami? So Revenants were created to fight Aragami but then that backfired? And I'm guessing in the time after the red mist showed up they must have developed the God Eater weapons. So then could we see Aragami show up in the DLC potentially?
Yes, they call Aragami's horrors here. The Gaol (red mist) afaik was created to barricade Aragami's but end up getting repurpose to not let the revenants go outside as for some of the dlc got datamined seems we are getting Vajura, Marduk and Gasou as bosses hopefully they add story dlc like god eater has

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they call Aragami's horrors here. The Gaol (red mist) afaik was created to barricade Aragami's but end up getting repurpose to not let the revenants go outside as for some of the dlc got datamined seems we are getting Vajura, Marduk and Gasou as bosses hopefully they add story dlc like god eater has

Man, suddenly my excitement or the game's future just went up a ton!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
would be nice if we get a timeline with AD calendar as it seems the Aragami's before the start of code vein wasn't as evolve as GE1 but likely code vein story lastled multiple decades

From what people were saying it needs to take place around GE1 due to the moon not being green.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've committed the ultimate cardinal gamer sin of skipping pretty much all dialog (incl. all skippable memories) in the past couple of hours. This game has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much story for a Souls-like.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
From what people were saying it needs to take place around GE1 due to the moon not being green.
I think this needs to take place years before the first GE. The Red Mist was created to keep all the business with the Queen from escaping into the outside world. I imagine shortly after the Red Mist goes up the Aragami "outbreak" starts to happen. Soma was born during this time and he's 18 in the first GE. Since it doesn't look like the Code Vein characters are much older from when they fought the Queen to when the game starts I can't imagine 18 years have passed.

I could also see them saying that this takes place during GE3 and just saying "well everyone forgot" and that the Red Mist kept out GE2's Red Rain and GE3's Ash Storms and also the moon looks different from inside the mist or something like that.

I've committed the ultimate cardinal gamer sin of skipping pretty much all dialog (incl. all skippable memories) in the past couple of hours. This game has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much story for a Souls-like.
If feel like at the end of the day this game is less Souls meets Anime and more Souls meets more conventional JRPGs.

Those memories are some of the most inspired moments in the game. There's a couple stinkers, but you should really check them out.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think this needs to take place years before the first GE. The Red Mist was created to keep all the business with the Queen from escaping into the outside world. I imagine shortly after the Red Mist goes up the Aragami "outbreak" starts to happen. Soma was born during this time and he's 18 in the first GE. Since it doesn't look like the Code Vein characters are much older from when they fought the Queen to when the game starts I can't imagine 18 years have passed.

I could also see them saying that this takes place during GE3 and just saying "well everyone forgot" and that the Red Mist kept out GE2's Red Rain and GE3's Ash Storms and also the moon looks different from inside the mist or something like that.

But I don't think anyone ages anymore due to being brought back as Revenants. From my understand Revenants were created to fight Aragami before God Arcs were invented. While they were effective against the Aragami at first, the business with the Queen caused all Revenants to be put towards that. Then shortly after the Red Mist went up from Silva and all revenants were stuck there.

This is why when Mido sees the Dyaus Pita, he remarks about how the horrors outside have continued to evolve while the Revenants and such have continued to stagnate. Without Revenants to continue and fight the Aragami, the God Arcs were invented.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
But I don't think anyone ages anymore due to being brought back as Revenants. From my understand Revenants were created to fight Aragami before God Arcs were invented. While they were effective against the Aragami at first, the business with the Queen caused all Revenants to be put towards that. Then shortly after the Red Mist went up from Silva and all revenants were stuck there.

This is why when Mido sees the Dyaus Pita, he remarks about how the horrors outside have continued to evolve while the Revenants and such have continued to stagnate. Without Revenants to continue and fight the Aragami, the God Arcs were invented.
That's a good point. Considering Revenants literally just come back to life your probably right that they don't age. I was wondering why the would call the Aragami horrors considering if even if they forgot the regular humans wouldn't have. Its probably more the case though that the revenants started to forget and then so much time passes that from generation to generation the humans forget too.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That's a good point. Considering Revenants literally just come back to life your probably right that they don't age. I was wondering why the would call the Aragami horrors considering if even if they forgot the regular humans wouldn't have. Its probably more the case though that the revenants started to forget and then so much time passes that the new generation of humans forget too.

Yeah, it's likely just part of the Revenant memory loss. Jack for example thought the outside world was mostly normal. I guess it also depends on when they were made Revenant and when they woke up. Since some were created originally but didn't wake up till much much later.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Wow, in what way Code Vein is easy? Went off to face Smough & Ornstein, shit has me on my toes all the time. The bosses are Bloodborne speed or faster, and more aggressive, not that I'm complaining, it's just not as easy as people said. Even the ice armor critters were pretty hard to face.
Is the final boss even harder?

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, in what way Code Vein is easy? Went off to face Smough & Ornstein, shit has me on my toes all the time. The bosses are Bloodborne speed or faster, and more aggressive, not that I'm complaining, it's just not as easy as people said. Even the ice armor critters were pretty hard to face.
Yeah, that boss broke my gamer pride in two. It was impossible to solo them with my skill level so I summoned someone for the 1st time. This game is certainly not much easier than Dark Souls, if at all.

Res

Oct 25, 2017

I've been playing with a partner, so bosses have been pitifully easy. Haven't died once yet. Im thinking of playing solo, for bosses at least

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly I'd say that was probably the only truly hard fight (assuming your talking about the duo fight in Code Vein).

The bosses after it I'd say are far easier.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I'd say,
Gilded Knight and Skull King are right bastards. Former would clip me mid my dodge, before I even get to recover (medium roll) and latter is basically isnta kill in final stage and his movement sometimes makes you get clipped by bullshit cloud things even though you dodged into him like you are supposed to, purely cuz he slid out of close range during swing.

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finished the game, not sure if i want to start a new game+ yet, and not sure if i want to play it on hard mode

was hoping the game to be longer, so i was still having fun at the end, guess i'll wait and see what dlcs this will have

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Debating if I want to go into NG+ or stick to normal. Wish we knew when the DLC was releasing. Or do we? Is there a road map?

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
anor londo 2.0 just elevated this game to a whole new level for me...that was th emost fun ive had in a souls like game since dark souls. so good.