• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
In terms for sexualization, I'm actually pretty okay with most of it (except coco's stupid swaying breast), Io having big boobs seems ok etc, but the worst has got to be Eva.

Eva and Jack has the design of that evil duo, partnering up to create trouble. And Eva looks some lady enemy in those generic rpg that tries to tease you etc, but well... you know she is far from that. Her character just doesn't suit her costume at all! Eva's costume contrasts so greatly form her personality that I find it quite distracting.

I didn't have time to look at bosses' boobs tho, I am just focusing on smacking their booty whenever possible, especially Ornstein's booty.
Well good for you that you're okay with it. Unfortunately for me, that sorta thing not only drives me up the damn wall but also makes me super uncomfortable. And since it both annoys and bothers me so much, I can't help noticing it - even during fights. It's a curse. 🙃
I'd be less bothered if it was only one or two characters that were designed that way, but it's literally every single female character ally or enemy. It's so unnecessary.
Fortunately, though, Code Vein had enough positives going for it that I really loved, for me to be able to mostly look past my annoyances with that subject and overall enjoy the game more than not.

I agree Eva's outfit was especially annoying, though, but for different reasons. For me, it's mostly because with a few simple changes I would have actually really loved her design and she was perhaps my favorite of the girls. Her look being so close to something I could actively like just makes the issues I have with it all the more frustrating. D;

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it this weekend, was an okay game. Combat, level design and enemy variation are the biggest negatives. I still enjoyed it but no desire to do any sort of NG+ playthrough.

I'd say the OpenCritic score is about right at 75.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I loved the game the annoying loading screens made me skip many memories segments.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Posting random thoughts on this game:

So I'm flying through this game now and even though I am leveling up, I don't really "feel" the progression of my character. I'm beating bosses in one or two tries, but I barely remember any of them after I best them. Designs are meh.

The combat isn't as fun and deep as Nioh. The world design isn't as interesting and dangerous as Souls. So that's pretty much how I feel about the game. It is very middling. Not bad. Not good.

It borrows from better souls-like games but never really iterates on it. It has the talking souls/memories from nioh. It has a leveling system that lacks the nuance of true souls borne. I mean, I do like that you can switch "classes" on the fly (I say this loosely because it really is such a small difference) but I feel it has also cheapened the experience. I would've liked to have seen more permanent stuffs after mastering them a la FF tactics. The fact that you can only hold 4 passives sucks. And most are extremely situational except for stamina/HP. I feel character builds are lacking in this game. You can just make a powerful dude and burst down everything. It doesn't even feel satisfying like it should though

Why is there only 1 gun type weapon in the game so far? Wtf were they thinking? I'm about to end this game with the same bayonet I started with. That's a large yikes from me. Nevermind the fact that I found this ogre-type cloak that is pretty much the best in the game so I never take it off. Loot in this game is weak. Ok, I'm not saying you need NIOH like loot. I'm saying at least have dark souls level of loot where you are rewarded handsomely for exploring with a cool electric spear or something.

The transformation system is garbage. Not even worth talking about.

The character customizer is the best out of all soulsborne-likes. Period. Unless nioh2 does something absolutely insane, this will remain true for a long time. This is the direction the souls games needs to go. Not in the opposite direction withPoint blank. Period. Done. Finished.

As much as I loved the game the annoying loading screens made me skip many memories segments
I'm on PC with an SSD and I am still skipping those memory slow walking sequences. I HATE slow walking areas.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Should've been just screens of text rather than slow ass walking for the memories, lost odyssey style.
I'm not sure if I agree with this. Some of those memories were the most inspired and interesting moments of the game for me.

The only downside for me is that for some reason you can't skip the beginning part of the Successor's final memory sequence, which is a bit annoying in NG+.

The game is a sleeper hit. More than 2 weeks later, it's still holding on in the Steam global top sellers, just below Destiny 2 which is super popular.
Yay, happy to hear that. :)

Liferebooted

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Loved this game, first souls type game I've ever beaten even though I own all the souls games, bloodborne, Nioh, and Sekiro. 2 simple reasons, it has more story than the rest, actual scenes with characters talking and flash backs, not just some stupid text you pick up or voices you hear. Also it was the easiest of all of them thanks to the AI partner :D Most of the boss fights I just ran around blocking and healing while my partner healed herself. :D

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The demo was already very good, despite being one of the weaker parts of the game. Some of the negative impressions in the demo thread had me legit puzzled. Like, you could so easily tell people approached the game with a preconceived notion, and criticized it for things it did very well like the combat or level design (although that gets a lot better after the demo tbf). The combat is weighty, super precise and very diverse. The literal polar opposite of what I've read in that thread and it's not like it was any different in the demo.

Liferebooted

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Level design was the worst thing about the game :( Cath and Burning city...ffs =[

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Level design was the worst thing about the game :( Cath and Burning city...ffs =[

Had no issues with level design personally, especially since it were very much devoid of cheap situations like in Souls/Nioh.

Burning City was straightforward (100% that map pretty quick iirc) and the cathedral was confusing by design, your partner even remarks about how confused and lost they are.

Lore wise the cathedral grew out of those white roots so technically it's like getting lost in a forest. It felt overwhelming but at the same time very satisfying to 100%.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
Had no issues with level design personally, especially since it were very much devoid of cheap situations like in Souls/Nioh.

Burning City was straightforward (100% that map pretty quick iirc) and the cathedral was confusing by design, your partner even remarks about how confused and lost they are.

Lore wise the cathedral grew out of those white roots so technically it's like getting lost in a forest. It felt overwhelming but at the same time very satisfying to 100%.

Came here to say basically the same. I agree 100%, had no issues at all with the level design and the Cathedral was probably my favorite part of the game, even with me being lost several times.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Bamco have been dishing out these limited edition press kits (?) and I'm quite jealous

CAMaera

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Loved playing through this game, wish I had the foresight to pre-order as I'm a huge God Eater fan and from what I can tell, Steam is the only platform you can't purchase that stuff after the fact, which is a bummer. Hope Steam(and other platforms) get the option to buy some of those bonuses. Other than that, what a character creator. Spent way too much time with it. NG+ looks like a decent challenge so far, so I'm really hype for that.

(Edit) Forgot to mention that the best thing about the combat is how it handles "spells", and it's something that Soulslike games as a whole would should look at and adapt into their own systems. Makes playing a mage much more engaging and viable, tbh.

Last edited:

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished Code Vein with the best ending. Great game, I really enjoyed it. My biggest complain would be the level design, which could've been better overall. But it wasn't that big of a deal. Love the freedom you have making your own character builds. Loved the combat and how quick and smooth it was. The characters grew on me and I wanted to make all those sad vampires happy in a way. While the Cathedral was confusing as hell, I think it made sense that it was that way. I'm glad that not every area afterwards was as big as the Cathedral as that would've killed the pacing a bit I think. Now, there are some obvious connections to another game series by the devs and loved seeing those. I wonder if they will do more with it with a potential sequel or the planned DLC. Speaking of DLC: Do we know what type of DLC we're getting? Story DLC? Just new Depths maps? I have only investigated 3 of them. I don't know how many there are, but I think I unlocked 5 Depths maps in total. The Ichor mechanic was great and I loved using Gifts follwed by draining enmies to get more Ichor. It opens so many possibilties playing around with the gifts.

The difficulty was actually quite easy, but I think that was mostly due to the AI partner. I didn't mind that at all, though. I still had some challenging fights here and there. Overall, I really enjoyed it and the game shaped up to be what I hoped it would be. Also: Multiple songs by Vamps are in this game. Hearing Hyde's voice is always a big plus, hehe.

THE_W1TCHER

Oct 28, 2017
I watch opening anime every time I boot the game, music+cool action pumps me everytime. I'll watch an anime based on code vein.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
So having beaten NG+ i think they should consider making a couple changes. A lot of your defense comes from weapons, blood veils, and your blood code. I was pretty stuck on the final boss and did a bunch of grinding. Then I noticed that all those levels I was pumping into my character was mostly affecting health and attack. I really wanted to have more defense. Perhaps they could implement a way to continue to upgrade the weapons and blood veils but now the other stats get affect instead of attack.

Bamco have been dishing out these limited edition press kits (?) and I'm quite jealous

So jelly, I want all of it.

Edit: Starting up NG+2 now. Here we go!

Last edited:

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia

I am a little confused, they make all this marketing, but why is the hype in this game so low? Reddit has only around 700+ lurkers online. They seem to be pushing Mia a lot, but she doesn't have a lot of character development in it, they could have put more effort into Eva, Louis and Yakumo. The game sells pretty well, it has a decent story, it has decent gameplay, and plenty of waifus.

So what went wrong?

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I am a little confused, they make all this marketing, but why is the hype in this game so low? Reddit has only around 700+ lurkers online. They seem to be pushing Mia a lot, but she doesn't have a lot of character development in it, they could have put more effort into Eva, Louis and Yakumo. The game sells pretty well, it has a decent story, it has decent gameplay, and plenty of waifus.

So what went wrong?
I think there's a decent amount of hype. At least, looking at the game's performance globally, Code Vein definitely has more buzz around it than Shift's previous projects. As someone who wishes God Eater would get more attention, I'm pretty content with how Code Vein has done for the most part. I'm hoping the devs feel the same way.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Been watching the LobosJr play through. I kinda like the seeming depth to builds etc but the rest of the he game looks super repetitive. Same feel to the enemies after playing for 15+ hours. He still seems to enjoy it but it does look pretty bland. Oh, and there seems to be an abundance of Plot as well.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Loved this game, first souls type game I've ever beaten even though I own all the souls games, bloodborne, Nioh, and Sekiro. 2 simple reasons, it has more story than the rest, actual scenes with characters talking and flash backs, not just some stupid text you pick up or voices you hear. Also it was the easiest of all of them thanks to the AI partner :D Most of the boss fights I just ran around blocking and healing while my partner healed herself. :D
Congrats on beating the game. I'm glad you liked it so much. I've beaten a lot of soulslike games and, yeah, having a story with cutscenes is a nice change of pace. Code Vein sort of feels like a more conventional jrpg in that sense, it just uses the souls combat. It's that feeling that got me invested into the game more than usual. I still really like the Dark Souls way of telling a story, but this was nice. It felt like it's own thing.
Finally finished Code Vein with the best ending. Great game, I really enjoyed it. My biggest complain would be the level design, which could've been better overall. But it wasn't that big of a deal. Love the freedom you have making your own character builds. Loved the combat and how quick and smooth it was. The characters grew on me and I wanted to make all those sad vampires happy in a way. While the Cathedral was confusing as hell, I think it made sense that it was that way. I'm glad that not every area afterwards was as big as the Cathedral as that would've killed the pacing a bit I think. Now, there are some obvious connections to another game series by the devs and loved seeing those. I wonder if they will do more with it with a potential sequel or the planned DLC. Speaking of DLC: Do we know what type of DLC we're getting? Story DLC? Just new Depths maps? I have only investigated 3 of them. I don't know how many there are, but I think I unlocked 5 Depths maps in total. The Ichor mechanic was great and I loved using Gifts follwed by draining enmies to get more Ichor. It opens so many possibilties playing around with the gifts.

The difficulty was actually quite easy, but I think that was mostly due to the AI partner. I didn't mind that at all, though. I still had some challenging fights here and there. Overall, I really enjoyed it and the game shaped up to be what I hoped it would be. Also: Multiple songs by Vamps are in this game. Hearing Hyde's voice is always a big plus, hehe.
Congrats to you too. The freedom of builds is also a huge plus for me too. Your not locked into one build like in souls and you don't have to buy a special item to respec like in Nioh. You can just change whenever you feel like it and that's great.
As far as the dlc goes, there is some stuff that has been data mined but we have yet to receive any news on how the season pass will play out. Based on what's been mined perhaps they're keeping their lips tight for spoiler reasons. I hope they talk about it soon because it's always a weird feeling to own a season pass and basically have no idea what's going to be in it.

I watch opening anime every time I boot the game, music+cool action pumps me everytime. I'll watch an anime based on code vein.
Does the anime opening play when you boot up? I've never seen it in game. Perhaps I keep on pressing buttons when I start the game up.

I would also watch an anime. Hopefully they have the time to make it though so it doesn't end up like the God Eater anime. ;__;

Jun 23, 2019
Finally beat the game a few days ago and got the true ending. Great game and one that I felt was tough, but fair. Would love to get a sequel especially after that ending.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is the only game with more build variety than souls 2 and I love it for that.

Nioh was pretty good on that front too

THE_W1TCHER

Oct 28, 2017
Does the anime opening play when you boot up? I've never seen it in game. Perhaps I keep on pressing buttons when I start the game up.

I would also watch an anime. Hopefully they have the time to make it though so it doesn't end up like the God Eater anime. ;__;

Yeah, when It prompts press any button, don't press any button. 😁

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I just hit the level cap. It seems to be 300.

Yeah, when It prompts press any button, don't press any button. 😁
They played me like a fiddle!

Welp I just blasted through NG+2.

I've seen all the endings. Natural ending is touching bit a bit weak compared to the others. The true ending is the best ending in general. That said, the bad ending is kind of amazing. Very close to being as good as the true ending.

At max level and max equipment, the last boss had a couple attacks that could one-shot me. They were AOE's too.

I'm still not bored though so I guess I'll head on to NG+3 soon.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Still slowly making my way through my first play through. Exploring Anime Londo finally. It doesn't seem as confusing as people claim. The key seems to be ignoring the diagonal architecture (fake stairs) and looking for more substantial pathways. The enemies hit you with another difficulty spike. I had to bump levels from 15 to 20 and then I could make a few mistakes. Though taking on the teleporting warriors isn't so tough if you can funnel them one at a time. Roll into them when they teleport and backstab.

Ded

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying this game. Between this and the Surge 2 this has been some of the best gaming I've had in a while. I think I'm on the last quarter of the game but I'm not quite sure. Exploration is great and really feels like a Souls game with a better fleshed out story.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
I just hit the level cap. It seems to be 300.

They played me like a fiddle!

Welp I just blasted through NG+2.

I've seen all the endings. Natural ending is touching bit a bit weak compared to the others. The true ending is the best ending in general. That said, the bad ending is kind of amazing. Very close to being as good as the true ending.

At max level and max equipment, the last boss had a couple attacks that could one-shot me. They were AOE's too.

I'm still not bored though so I guess I'll head on to NG+3 soon.
I'm kinda sad the areas are a little small and doesn't have some in depth discovery or something. Even in 1st play through, it's easy to discover every nook & cranny, it's like Dark Souls lite, but NG+ with all maps uncovered, it's surprisingly fast to uncover all of them.
Cathedral was actually breezed pretty fast in NG+, other stages are even more linear.

I wish Hidetaka was handling this game in terms of world design.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished
Burning City
and I really love this game. It's so much bigger than I thought it would be and so much fun. My strength build with a nice collection of gifts I've accumulated makes me feel unstoppable. I didn't expect the story to get to me so much, but there are real tear jerker moments.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished
Burning City
and I really love this game. It's so much bigger than I thought it would be and so much fun. My strength build with a nice collection of gifts I've accumulated makes me feel unstoppable. I didn't expect the story to get to me so much, but there are real tear jerker moments.
It's about as big as Dark Souls 3 without DLC I would say.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
So I haven't been able to play for the last couple days but I forgot to say that I finally mastered all the gifts. Weirdly enough, if you are a certain amount of levels above the enemies you delete you start to get less and less mastery points from defeating them. So, when I hit level cap it actually became impossible to get mastery from enimeies and I had to farm for awakening items. Luckily I only had 4 left to go at that point.

Im stuck with my finger on the trigger.
This and Disco Elysium are fighting for my $
Join us...

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Im a fan of DOT builds.
Whether it be bleed poison or fire.
I like to inflict it and watch em succumb.
Will this game let me do this?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Im a fan of DOT builds.
I haven't played with elemental damage so I'm not sure you are actually able to afflict a burn status on enemies that deals damage over time.
You can poison enemies, though!

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Im a fan of DOT builds.
There are abilities for applying poison to your weapon, a poison projectile, and a poison trap. You can also transform your weapon to have poison on it at all times.

You have to hit an enemy a bunch with poison before the effect kicks in. They'll have a poison indicator on them that will deplete over time and they'll be taking damage all the while. You can't keep hitting the enemy with poison to stop the poison indicator from draining. Once the effect is done you have to build it up again on the enemy.

I would say poison is more about doing extra damage over time than watching them succumb in this game. There are other status effects too, like one that stuns enemies in place and another that slows them down.

I haven't leveled past 20 (I'm in Cathedral) because I fear I'd stop mastering gifts.
I was mastering gifts pretty often on my first play though and I was leveling up whenever I could. It was only after I did some grinding in NG+ that I noticed I wasn't gaining mastery anymore. I think you'll be fine. Still kind of a dumb system though.

Last edited:

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Here's a bit of a tiny detail that's pretty neeto.

So the color palette for "Far East" matches Sakuya, Lindou, Kouta, and Alisa from God Eater. In the games they are stationed in the Far East.
Director Hiroshi Yoshimura even responded thanking them and saying that he was glad that someone noticed.

Edit: He also makes the correction that the leftmost palette is not Sakuya but rather Dr. Sakaki.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Just beat this, and it was way better than I ever expected it to be. When it was first revealed I was interested but as new trailers, betas and impressions first started happening I completely wrote it off. I'm really glad I had the chance to borrow it from my friend and play through it because despite its issues it's legitimately great.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
If you're done with the story and want a bit of clarification, I found this lore video that's pretty good.

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
Seems a new patch just popped up for me and my bro while play online in PS4. Patch 1.10. Seems to add some Halloween customization items.