• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
I remember playing GRID on launch with a friend back in secondary school and being amazed you could get the game to say your name.

Feb 15, 2018
ohzrd5t.jpg

Thank god for this post straight away, i thought i was stroking out for a minute....

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
It will be interesting to see if they can recapture the magic of the original. Many of the people who worked on it left to start Playground Games.

Oct 27, 2017
I tell you what, if you finally bring back the context-sensitive in race music form Grid 1 you have a buy.

Also turn down the simulation aspect. Grid 1 had the perfect balance and the sequels shifted more and more towards simulation, muddying the identity of the series.

Feb 8, 2018
Grid were the successor series to TOCA? No? Are they simulation games like those or more arcade-y?
Grid in terms of handling offered a high quality mix of arcade and simulation just like the Dirt series. It's accessible yet challenging. Codemasters haven't really done simulators in the last decade outside of Dirt:Rally and maybe their F1 titles (No idea how close to reality they are)

Last edited:

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Oh you're definitely on The List now.

Next people will tell me they don't know where the TOCA series started and I'll just walk off in a huff moaning about the youth of today.
Stop freaking out of course we know what TOCA is I'm not an idiot lol. I remember people getting upset at the original GRID because of it being more arcade. For the record I liked it, but understood why some were mad. I thought Autosport was pretty great though. A good mix.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Original GRID is the best arcade racer I've every had the chance to play. I'm very excited for this one. Fuck yes

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
No seriously, is this a remake or a new game? If the latter, would "Grid 3" have been such a terrible title to avoid confusion?

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it's cool, the first one was actually called Race Driver: Grid, calling the new game Grid is totally fine and won't cause confusion.

it's a dumb name and of course it will cause confusion

No seriously, is this a remake or a new game? If the latter, would "Grid 3" have been such a terrible title to avoid confusion?

What sort of confusion? Do people genuinely believe that people will go to the store, walk straight past the new release shelf and somehow walk out with a $5 used copy of Race Driver: GRID for PS3 by mistake?

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
What sort of confusion? Do people genuinely believe that people will go to the store, walk straight past the new release shelf and somehow walk out with a $5 used copy of Race Driver: GRID for PS3 by mistake?

Exactly the confusion I demonstrated in the sentence you're quoting - that this is a remake / remaster of the original, rather than a new game.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
They are releasing GRID Autosport for Switch supposedly this summer.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Stop freaking out of course we know what TOCA is I'm not an idiot lol. I remember people getting upset at the original GRID because of it being more arcade. For the record I liked it, but understood why some were mad. I thought Autosport was pretty great though. A good mix.
I was one of them.

And for those who don't know, the TOCA series started as the TOCA BTCC games.

Back when the BTCC was a high budget, F1 supporting monster of a series.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
The game didn't have "terrible graphics", nor "terrible gameplay". Reviews were pretty good: the game was a different way of doing car games, one with high levels of adrenaline and little focus on actual speed. It didn't take a genius, however, to see the game was going to flop hard regardless of reviews. I consider myself a fan of the game, and this is what I said long before we got any sales data:

GRID could risk the same thing, actually: game announced with a CGI trailer only a couple months before release. Full-priced game for what is (presumably?) a low development time game which could potentially mean little content. With little marketing presence, a confusing naming and such, it definitely risks not doing too well, especially in September. OnRush's failure had little to do with its quality to be fair.

As a casual gamer myself i found graphics terrible and compared to NFS2015 it felt very shit looking game in my TV.
And controls were such horrid that hold me from buying game after beta.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
Man, I really enjoyed the first one, but there are just too many games now. I've barely gotten my money's worth out of Gran Turismo, and I love the game

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
CG trailer and a confusing title. Great job marketing team. I liked the original Grid but mainly for the destruction derbies

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Well, you know what GAME are like. They'll even charge you the £50 for it.

Nah, it's cool, the first one was actually called Race Driver: Grid, calling the new game Grid is totally fine and won't cause confusion.

it's a dumb name and of course it will cause confusion

It was called that in the UK, only GRID in the US. Hence the confusion.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Hopefully it features a cockpit camera view and the return of Ravenwest. I have high expectations for the career mode, I want to see it absolutely fleshed out and improved upon the original. No excuses.

I almost never preorder, but if the information is up to my expectations, I'll bite. This is one of the few games I had nothing but fond memories with.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Hopefully it features a cockpit camera view and the return of Ravenwest. I have high expectations for the career mode, I want to see it absolutely fleshed out and improved upon the original. No excuses.
Beat me to it, better have a proper cockpit view.

I loved the original. It was the only console game on the market that had an almost complete racing series in it's 2006 LeMans representation in there. All of the seasons tracks were there, the 24hr LeMans was in, and It was only missing a few LMP cars and Ferrari, which pulled out late in development.

I'd set up 50 lappers of a full grid of mix-class to try to simulate the LeMans season. Fantastic.

Feb 8, 2018
Is GRID really so old that they can release a new game and call it GRID without any confusion?

I understand why they're doing it but Other IP's currently have their 5th or 7th game and they just give it the proper numbering which is the better way to do it Imo. It wouldn't shock me to see a sequel to this in the next 5 years or earlier if it sells well enough.

Last edited:

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Oh, and stick with actual currency as in-game money and an actual car purchase model instead of fan count, social media views or whateverthefuck

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I had so much fin with the original GRID [and never enjoyed the sequels].

I hope that they will bring back MP maps from the first game.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
New logo isn't great - looks very generic. Missing Ravenwest already since its almost guaranteed they've been replaced by Fernando Alonso's ESports team judging on press materials.

Hopefully the story doesn't end with them crashing out of qualifying before you even race.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Looking forward to it, could be a nice new racing game and after Dirt (Rally) and F1, I'm pretty confident, that Grid will also be a good one (again).

mtlspider

Oct 26, 2017
Am I the only one here that loved the mountain pass racing in grid 1?

They arguably made a better initial d game than sega did.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Well, you know what GAME are like. They'll even charge you the £50 for it.

It was called that in the UK, only GRID in the US. Hence the confusion.

Heh, I was kind of joking. I actually couldn't remember if the Race Driver prefix was regional rather than worldwide. You're correct, it was definitely widely known as just GRID.

I did kind of walk back my statement later by saying that because the original GRID is no longer purchaseable on at least PC digital storefronts (and likely elsewhere), that the possibility of buying the old game is vastly reduced.

But it's kind of like the Wii vs Wii U thing. Sure, people could figure out that they were different things if they did a tiny bit of research. But why invite the confusion in the first place? You already have people asking if it's a remaster/remake. (And actually, do we even know if it is or not?)

EDIT: According to the Steam page it says "all-new experience," so I guess it's a sequel.

Feb 8, 2018

True but It's still a useful trailer and there are key things one can extract from it :

(Some of the points are pure speculation)

-The Flashback feature makes a return
-Slower cars will be in
-Even though this is CG, they're trying to hint at a handling model that is similar to the Original as one of the car spins out after the curve
-Detailed damage model
-Optical tuning
-Night racing is in
-Dynamic weather? (Is that smoke or fog)
-aiming for high quality graphics which contain detailed car models and enviroments ( 60fps on Mid-cycle consoles and 30fps on base consoles is possible although parity is more likely for such a game)

Last edited: