• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
So I am making coffee for the same time using the coffee machine (you know the basic ones that you put the filter in along with water).
Is it supposed to be running after I make the coffee or should I turn it off as soon as it is done?

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Keeping it on will keep the coffee warm. If you're going to wait a bit to drink it, keep it on. Turn it off when you leave though. If there is a low amount of coffee turn it off to avoid burning as well.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Keeping it on will keep the coffee warm. If you're going to wait a bit to drink it, keep it on. Turn it off when you leave though. If there is a low amount of coffee turn it off to avoid burning as well.
Thanks.

Another question if you don't mind me asking. What if there is still coffee and I need to go outside. Can I leave it then when I return start it up again to warm it up or do you have to make new?

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's level 1, welcome to level 10

3210531c579f5e4f073f0179cc64c281.jpg

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I would recommend against keeping the machine on. Heating plates tend to burn coffee over time.

If you have the option of a thermal caraffe I would go with that.

But to answer you question. If it is done brewing you can freely shut it off.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks.

Another question if you don't mind me asking. What if there is still coffee and I need to go outside. Can I leave it then when I return start it up again to warm it up or do you have to make new?
You can warm it up. Turn it off if you're gone or not going to drink any for awhile.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think we need to see this coffee machine to answer the question for sure.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
That's level 1, welcome to level 10

3210531c579f5e4f073f0179cc64c281.jpg
QzGRKUu.gif

I would recommend against keeping the machine on. Heating plates tend to burn coffee over time.

If you have the option of a thermal caraffe I would go with that.

But to answer you question. If it is done brewing you can freely shut it off.
You can warm it up. Turn it off if you're gone or not going to drink any for awhile.
Thanks a lot for the replies guys.
I think we need to see this coffee machine to answer the question for sure.
It is one of those basic coffee machines like these:
61F7h3SqzYL._SX425_.jpg

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Sounds like a drip filter with a pump. They usually have a hot plate under the glass jug to keep the coffee warm. Coffee is best when it's fresh, so I advise scaling down your quantities if necessary so you only make what you need.

Never put your unused coffee back into the water reservoir, just pour it down the drain. Anything but clean water will block the feed, and old coffee tastes horrible anyway.

If you have a kettle or other source of hot water and you want to get serious about coffee, I highly recommend buying a French press. You don't need such finely ground coffee and you don't need filter papers, but the taste is very good.

If you have a hotplate or a kitchen hob or stove top, you may also want to try a moka pot. This works by steam pressure which builds up in the lower vessel and forces liquid water up through the coffee grounds and then up into the upper vessel. Again the taste is very good, and a small moka pot is a great way to make a single mug of fresh coffee.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a drip filter with a pump. They usually have a hot plate under the glass jug to keep the coffee warm. Coffee is best when it's fresh, so I advise scaling down your quantities if necessary so you only make what you need.

Never put your unused coffee back into the water reservoir, just pour it down the drain. Anything but clean water will block the feed, and old coffee tastes horrible anyway.

If you have a kettle or other source of hot water and you want to get serious about coffee, I highly recommend buying a French press. You don't need such finely ground coffee and you don't need filter papers, but the taste is very good.

If you have a hotplate or a kitchen hob or stove top, you may also want to try a moka pot. This works by steam pressure which builds up in the lower vessel and forces liquid water up through the coffee grounds and then up into the upper vessel. Again the taste is very good, and a small moka pot is a great way to make a single mug of fresh coffee.

Thanks for the tips. I usually just buy instant coffee (the one you put in water and stir) but I bought the wrong type so I have to drink this one up.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Thanks for the tips. I usually just buy instant coffee (the one you put in water and stir) but I bought the wrong type so I have to drink this one up.

There's no rule that says you need to put coffee grounds and filter paper in every time. If it's your only water heater you can just pour fresh hot water from the jug to make instant coffee or even green tea (the water may not be hot enough to make black tea well.)