• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure if this has been posted yet but I thought this was actually a down to earth frank discussion about why satisfactory will be on Epic Games Store

What do you guys think?

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
12 months of exclusivity, that's all I need to know.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Ignoring the passive aggressiveness...

1. Confirms an industry standard exists.
  2. Doesn't know about itch.io .
  3. Timed exclusive, so maybe will go to other places.
  4. Supposedly they are living payout from payout.
  5. Should have chosen better question, from both sides.
  6. DRM, it doesn't have it offline but needs it for online.

This was posted in an existing thread a day or so ago.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Ignoring the passive aggressiveness...

1. Confirms an industry standard exists.
  2. Doesn't know about itch.io .
  3. Timed exclusive, so maybe will go to other places.
  4. Supposedly they are living payout from payout.
  5. Should have chosen better question, from both sides.
  6. DRM, it doesn't have it offline but needs it for online.

This was posted in an existing thread a day or so ago.

From a business point of view I can see why they take the timed exclusive from Epic so they can secure the company's future, which I can whole heartily agree with.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
December 2019 release date? Sounds good to me, plenty of games to play in the meantime.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Oh I was hoping to be pretty neutral in that list.

I don't think the issue is them taking the money. It just how everything was handled and done. Even though they are massively successful over the smaller, unknown indies which are kind of being left in the dust by Epic.

I got games to play so I can wait. Not like I can play everything. Also telling us to wait while the launcher improves is kind of stupid considering Origin launched brand new with more 7 years ago.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Hm, wait, no, they can't live payday to payday:

They made a winning of 50 million SEK (around 5 million EURO) 2017.

The CEO takes out astoundishing 2.6 million SEK (around 260 000 EUR) in salary.

MDPyKgl.png

While the average cost per employee (they had 21 as of 2017) is 60 000 EUR, which is around 32 000 EUR / year per employee.

Hell, they even have a mother company (a holding company) that have over 123 million SEK (12,3 million EUR) in assets.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Satisfactory has been on my radar since E3 so I'll be happy to try it out on the Epic Store. I just wish the Epic Store wasn't so...bare bones.

raldoh

Mar 3, 2018
I don't get why people are upset with timed Epic Store exclusives to begin with. Especially when there are significant financial incentives from a developer point of view to give this a go. I don't see why a Steam exclusive, which is kind of the norm in PC gaming, would be a better thing.

I wish Coffee Stain Studios the best of luck!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I think that I'm not buying their game or anything on that pos called Epic Games Store which not only is lagging behind Steam in 2014 in term of features but is also a clusterfuck of security. Someone changed my password this morning, they wont even tell me where that demand comes from. Fuck them, they're not getting a SINGLE CENT from me.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Give it up for those small indie guys who have a visibility problem on Steam.
By mid-January 2015, over 2.5 million copies of the game were sold across all platforms. During a presentation at the 2016 Game Developers Conference, Ibrisagic revealed that Goat Simulator has made more than $12 million in revenue

They would have been drowned out by the other releases and competition on Steam
*Satisfactory is a "Factorio" Clone, the only Factorio Clone right now.

At least they say it is about money. Still, I won't support them, even if it is the one game, that got exclusive on EGL, that I am sad about.

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

MDPyKgl.png

While the average cost per employee (they had 21 as of 2017) is 60 000 EUR, which is around 32 000 EUR / year per employee.

Hell, they even have a mother company (a holding company) that have over 123 million SEK (12,3 million EUR) in assets.

Yikes. Taxes, rents, licenses are a thing. Please don't talk about the financial situation of something you're not a part of.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

MDPyKgl.png

Yeah, definitely looks like an indie dev studio, alright.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Is the the video where Coffee Stain literally says that Satisfactory will be exclusive on Epic Games Store because Epic gave him a huge sack of money? If so, I don't see how this is a decent video about Epic's Store.

Anyway, I won't support any devs taking part in Epic's efforts to bring paid store exclusivity to PC gaming. Really, f*ck that sh*t!

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I don't get why people are upset with timed Epic Store exclusives to begin with. Especially when there are significant financial incentives from a developer point of view to give this a go. I don't see why a Steam exclusive, which is kind of the norm in PC gaming, would be a better thing.
Outside of Valve games, what PC games are Steam store Exclusive?

Name a single non-Valve game you can only buy through Steam due to contractual obligations.

Or if that's too hard:

Name a single non-Valve game you can only buy through Steam.

The problem here is that Epic Store exclusives are just that. You can only buy them from the Epic Store.

No Green Man Gaming, No Humble, No Amazon, No DL Gamer.

That is almost unprecedented on PC.

prudis

Oct 25, 2017
CZ
hmm , beyond the usual PR from Epic .... confirms bunch of things
  • "we got cash money from Epic" and company is living of it
  • they hope the EpicStore catches up (accompanying with cringey forced smile)
  • 12 months exlusive , but not sure if they will release it elsewhere after that
  • couldnt say anything before because NDA

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
In time people will stop expecting everything to be on steam. Especially Fortnite players, and the Epic Games Store exclusive game players.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I hope more and more devs sign exclusive store deals.

Valve can kick rocks.
"I hope more and more games restrict their availability to a single outlet, therefore removing competition for custom that comes from multiple stores being able to sell the game and competing on both price and other additional features! Yeah!"

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see myself buying anything from the Tencent Store. At least Origin has Access and Access Premiere as a draw, but this has nothing versus Steam so until it's there it might as well not exist.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Still waiting on someone to explain to me how games with timed exclusivity to Epic Store is any different than the absolute mountain of titles that can ONLY be purchased on Steam, or, purchased on a reseller site like Humble or GMG and redeemed on Steam.

And before people start ranting about how there are missing features, etc, perhaps consider that I want my game application to launch games and the Epic Store does that just fine, thanks. Anything else is fluff to me - but it may not be to you, and that's fine.

While everyone's busy getting worked up about evil Epic and their decision to give developers a better cut of sales, I'll be over here enjoying new games. They'll be on Steam later, whereas a huge number of other games will NEVER be available on anything but Steam.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obvious console gamer shitpost

I own all 3 current gen consoles and I play on PC 70% of the time.

Why? What is your reasoning?
What do we as customer get from it?
what do developers who are not "invited" to EGL get from it?

I'm not for any one corporation having a stranglehold on any industry.

Exclusive content allow competing storefronts to grow, and in time resulting, actual competition will be for the betterment of the industry and consumers.

I don't want exclusive content restricted to any storefront per se, but it's a necessary evil I am totally fine with.

The market will decide on who are worthy of its money and who are not. Eventually it'll stabilise itself and we'll have a good number of competitors rather than one supergiant "competing" with with fledging stores that stand little to no chance to chance to gain any meaningful marketshare.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting on someone to explain to me how games with timed exclusivity to Epic Store is any different than the absolute mountain of titles that can ONLY be purchased on Steam, or, purchased on a reseller site like Humble or GMG and redeemed on Steam.

And before people start ranting about how there are missing features, etc, perhaps consider that I want my game application to launch games and the Epic Store does that just fine, thanks. Anything else is fluff to me - but it may not be to you, and that's fine.

While everyone's busy getting worked up about evil Epic and their decision to give developers a better cut of sales, I'll be over here enjoying new games. They'll be on Steam later, whereas a huge number of other games will NEVER be available on anything but Steam.
"Tell me what's different other than the things that are different and better"

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Don't blame Epic for fragmenting the launchersphere when almost every big publisher either already has a launcher or is in the progress of making one. EA, Take-Two, Bethesda, Activision... There are companies like AccelByte that make white label launchers, meaning that any company can have their own launcher. I suspect that within a few years Steam will be mostly for Valve, indy and some AAA Source games.

raldoh

Mar 3, 2018
Because the Epic Store is awful. If the only way Epic can get games on it is to shovel out money for exclusives, then it's not a very good platform.

That might be the case, my experience with the Epic Store is very limited. I care more about playing the games themselves rather than the store front, as I imagine most people do. Worst case the Epic Store exclusives don't sell enough and end up on Steam anyway. Best case it would force Steam to comply with better profit splits for devs.

Outside of Valve games, what PC games are Steam store Exclusive?

Name a single non-Valve game you can only buy through Steam due to contractual obligations.

Or if that's too hard:

Name a single non-Valve game you can only buy through Steam.

The problem here is that Epic Store exclusives are just that. You can only buy them from the Epic Store.

No Green Man Gaming, No Humble, No Amazon, No DL Gamer.

That is almost unprecedented on PC.

Total War series come to mind.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I support developers making deals that help them keep their business healthy and profitable.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

Many people already explained this several times to you in other threads.

Anyway, if you actually want a future where different storefronts are "competing" by buying paid exclusivity from popular devs, you should keep supporting Epic's Store and the devs who took Epic's bribe for exclusivity. Anyone is free to have his/her opinion about this matter.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Consistent history of disruptive posting and antagonizing other members; numerous accumulated infractions

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I own 3 consoles and I play on PC 70% of the time.

I'm not for any one corporation having a stranglehold on any industry.

Exclusive content allow competing storefronts to grow, and in time competition will be for the betterment of the industry and consumers.

I don't want exclusive content restricted to any storefront per se, but it's a necessary evil I am totally fine with.

The market will decide on who are worthy of their money and who are not. Eventually it'll stabilise itself and we'll have a good number of competitors rather than one supergiant "competing" with with tiny fledging stores.
M

Please, your post history speaks for you.
I mean, it's always the same pattern. :)

Yeah, you're not for any one corporation having a monopoly, competition is good especially when it's about moneyhatting stuff. We know all of that already. You're fine with it because you're not impacted by that. You don't care about one storefront locking games behind their shitty launcher nor you don't care about games on one storefront which means no price competition, because you were never about using any of these.

"A necessary evil". For what ? A necessary evil to push a bad storefront ? Why should we push a bad storefront ? Why should we push a bad publisher that is Epic Games or Tencent ? You don't even make sense when you say that it's good that a worse competitor gains marketshare because it's no good if there's only one big ecosystem, despite that benefiting us more than the opposite.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

Still waiting for explanations apart from the ones you don't like then? Gotcha.
Other people do care about those features after all.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
That might be the case, my experience with the Epic Store is very limited. I care more about playing the games themselves rather than the store front, as I imagine most people do. Worst case the Epic Store exclusives don't sell enough and end up on Steam anyway. Best case it would force Steam to comply with better profit splits for devs.

Total War series come to mind.

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/totalwarthreekingdoms/info/

9 storefronts.

The difference is that publishers CHOOSED that they'd redeemed on Steam, not because they've been paid but simply because it's the better ecosystem available. Mindblowing I know !
Everything else is fluff to you, that's fine. You can just launch the games on Steam too. While every others enjoy their features, whenever they are users or devs too.

Nov 8, 2017

How hard did you think about this before you posted it?

Developers release their games on steam because that's where they sell. They weren't paid out to not launch anywhere else for X time. Any developer has the freedom to choose which platforms it launched on alongside steam with no conditions. Many of them choose to launch on GoG or Itch.io or other stores as well, some don't. Some don't think it's worth their time to port to other stores. But they're not compelled to be exclusive by legal contract. They are even allowed to sell steam keys they generate for no fee on any store front they choose - valve takes a 0% cut in this case and if the dev is selling it on their website they keep 100%.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Exclusive content allow competing storefronts to grow, and in time resulting, actual competition will be for the betterment of the industry and consumers.

We have plenty of different storefronts on PC with a bunch of exclusive content. Yet none of them actually tried to compete with Steam by offering better prices, features or services. So where are your arguments coming from?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

You are even contradicting yourself. Games that are sold on reseller sites CAN NOT be ONLY be purchased on Steam. Steam doesn't even see one cent from reseller purchases.

No one is paying developers to put their games on Steam. That is something they decide for themselves. They can as easily sell on GoG (if GoG allows it), on origin (if EA allows it) on Ubisoft launcher (If Ubisoft allows it) on Itchio, on Discord (if Discord allows it) on Windows market Place (If Microsoft allows it)

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Great video, appreciate the explanation.

Makes total sense to me as to why they would do it! Won't be buying it as the game doesn't seem to be my thing (I did already buy Hades from the store though)

Status
Not open for further replies.