• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
GhostTrick for real doing jumping jacks and Harlem shakes to discredit an offhand comment lmfao it's no wonder y'all make this easy

Anyway it's a decent enough video. Can't be bothered to discredit it but I mean I'm not really gonna buy stuff from the Epic store anyway. Hope they can keep the lights on with this move

Make Sanctum 3 pls

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I am really interested to see how this plays out. You make your game timed exclusive (and drum up a shitstorm while at it) effectively carving out huge part of the existing market for 18% gain (forgetting itch.io and gog for example.) It might be a good idea or... very bad one.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting on someone to explain to me how games with timed exclusivity to Epic Store is any different than the absolute mountain of titles that can ONLY be purchased on Steam, or, purchased on a reseller site like Humble or GMG and redeemed on Steam.
Er... you answered your own question. That is the difference. Those "reseller sites" compete with each other, therefore customers get the best price for games. Since the Epic Store games have one place and one place only where they are sold - there are no resellers - then that comeptition disappears. That is the main issue.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I am really interested to see how this plays out. You make your game timed exclusive (and drum up a shitstorm while at it) effectively carving out huge part of the existing market for 18% gain (forgetting itch.io and gog for example.) It might be a good idea or... very bad one.

It's very likely that Epic paid them enough money to survive no matter how bad their game will sell on Epic's Store. It's rather the response of other storefronts that i'm worried about. Epic may have opened Pandora's box with their moneyhatting shit.

prudis

Oct 25, 2017
CZ
Some games on Epic Store can cost up to 300% more compared to Steam for dozens of millions of users

GO0VoFf.png
for a company where Tencent has 40% stake , this is mindblowing

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Er... you answered your own question. That is the difference. Those "reseller sites" compete with each other, therefore customers get the best price for games. Since the Epic Store games have one place and one place only where they are sold - there are no resellers - then that comeptition disappears. That is the main issue.

Those games are still exclusive to Steam. If this is just about end consumer price, then that's another issue and there's nothing to go by yet other than the fact that Epic is giving away a free game every two weeks.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please, your post history speaks for you.
I mean, it's always the same pattern. :)

Yeah, you're not for any one corporation having a monopoly, competition is good especially when it's about moneyhatting stuff. We know all of that already. You're fine with it because you're not impacted by that. You don't care about one storefront locking games behind their shitty launcher nor you don't care about games on one storefront which means no price competition, because you were never about using any of these.

"A necessary evil". For what ? A necessary evil to push a bad storefront ? Why should we push a bad storefront ? Why should we push a bad publisher that is Epic Games or Tencent ? You don't even make sense when you say that it's good that a worse competitor gains marketshare because it's no good if there's only one big ecosystem, despite that benefiting us more than the opposite.

I haven't a clue what you're referring to but please do elaborate.

I'm as impacted as just about anyone by more storefronts. I regularly purchase games across steam, Origin, uPlay, GOG, Humble, etc.

Some more than others and that's the point. I got to wherever I will have the best deal and the storefronts I have most confidence in.

I haven't bought anything from Epic Store yet, I might, but that depends entirely on what kind of deals they have on.

Epic, as much as any other storefront, has to justify its existence. If they're no good, they can adapt or die; and if they that'll be that.

Your fixation with the particular storefront is entirely missing the point.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
It's very likely that Epic paid them enough money to survive no matter how bad their game will sell on Epic's Store. It's rather the response of other storefronts that i'm worried about. Epic may have opened Pandora's box with their moneyhatting shit.
Yep, imagine if Epic Store is a success, what kind of message a powerful corporation like Microsoft, people who unlike Epic can actually buy exclusivity of anything, will get from this?

Maybe it's unfair, but I think Valve should think about a hard stance regarding devs and pubs who struck the last minute deal with Epic: no steam release.

Status
Not open for further replies.