• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
When you wake up.
When you get to work.
When you have to study.
When you're hanging out.

It's the addiction we keep feeding, might as well make it taste great while we do it.

How do you make it? What do you drink? What are your questions? There are no wrong answers.

Some great detailed basics from Baris:

Basic Equipment:
Grinder:
In my opinion, grinding fresh beans right before you brew is the single best thing you can do to improve your coffee and even a $10 - $15 blade grinder can do that. Almost every coffee discussion anywhere quickly turns into the importance of a proper grind, and you will almost certainly end up with a burr grinder if you get into coffee at all. There are a million discussions and recommendations out there and I'm sure they will be all over this thread, but here are some of the common ones.
Hario Skerton - If you want to start "cheap" and don't mind a bit of a workout in the morning, something like the Skerton is ~$40-50. You have to manually grind and it will take a bit longer, but it will be a pretty large step up from a blade grinder.
Baratza Encore - Pretty much the go to, entry level burr grinder that will do a decent job and most methods of coffee (Espresso is a whole different beast) and can be found as a refurb for ~$100.​

Kitchen Scale:
You can get a decent gram scale on Amazon that will accurately weigh coffee for you for under $10. There are all sorts of variances that can change bean weight. You can use a coffee scoop and usually be alright, but a scale makes things much easier and more precise.

Temp Controlled Kettle: An electric kettle is not just something for Americans and Europeans to argue about on the internet, it can also make your coffee brewing experience much more pleasant. Especially if you get something that allows you to set a specific temperature. If you are doing pour over, or considering it in the future, get a goose neck kettle.

Brewing Methods:

Press Pot (aka French Press) - Easy to find, easy to use, cheap. Grind 50g beans, add to pot, add ~100g water just off the boil and start timer, gently stir, wait 30 seconds or so for the bloom, then add another 650g for 750g total water, cover and let sit for 6-8 minutes. I know, this is way longer than the usual suggestion for press pot coffee, but trust me, give it a try. Slowly press down the plunger, pour into a cup and enjoy.

Clever Brewer - This is kind of a weird hybrid between a pourover and a press pot. Add a filter, rinse with hot water and pour out rinse water. Add 21g of fresh ground coffee and pour on 300g of water off the boil. Start timer and stir 10-15 seconds, cover and brew for 3 minutes. Place brewer on top of mug and let everything drain into your cup. Makes a single cup with about a 3:30 brew time. Can also be used to play around with a true pourover in a pinch bu just leaving it on top of a cup the whole time.

AeroPress- The Internet's Favorite Coffee Maker. A giant syringe that claims it can make Espresso at home; it can't. It can however, make some pretty great coffee in single up servings and is one of those "hackable" coffee makers that allows you to make coffee in probably 100 different ways. My go to is the inverted method. It's easier to show that to describe so here's a youtube link.

Chemex - Pourover coffee, but with a pretty glass pot and a super thick filter. It's this filter that makes Chemex coffee what it is. A super bright, super clean cup that will generally have less body than most other methods. I do 42g coffee, 700g water. Wet filter and drain. Add freshly ground coffee, start timer and add 75g water. Wait about 30-45 seconds for bloom to complete, then add water up to 400g. When time reaches 1:30 or so, add remaining water to 700g total. This should be about the 2:00 mark. Wait for the coffee to finish brewing which should be around the 4:00 mark.

Pourover - The Kalita Wave and Hario V60 tend to be the big names here, but there are tons of different models out there. Brewing method is similar to the Chemex, but with the thinner filter, you have to have a little more control of your pour to prevent over-extraction. I'll leave it to YouTube to explain these was well.

Cold Brew -
Toddy: No experience here, but it seems to be just follow the Toddy instructions and have cold brew coffee.

Press Pot / Glass Jar: I'm much less precise here compared to some of the hot side methods. I add 3/4 cup to 1 cup of ground coffee to my 34oz Bodum French Press. Add cold water (shoot for 1:4 - 1:5 coffee to water), leaving just enough space to put on the lid and let it sit on the counter overnight in in the fridge for ~24 hours. Press, pour into another jar and store in the fridge for up to a couple days. This makes a very strong cold brew "concentrate." I'll occasionally drink it straight, but it is designed to be diluted by pouring over ice and adding some extra water or milk.​

Espresso - I have pretty much no experience here, so I'll leave this to others. I do know that getting espresso at home that tastes better than a Nespresso pod is not cheap.

Water:
Water tends to be greatly overlooked when making coffee, but is something that is easy to improve. I'd recommend carbon filtering the water you use for coffee. Something like a Brita or Pur filter pitcher or use that water that comes out of the fridge if your fridge has a carbon filter cartridge. You can go all crazy and use bottled or build up water from distilled if you want (don't use plain distilled water, it makes bad coffee), but just filtering tends to help in most cases.

Some Coffee Recommendations:

For those in California, there's an amazing roastery in Santa Rosa called Flying Goat.

http://flyinggoatcoffee.com/

Picked up some of Second Cup's Paradiso coffee. Normally i don't go for these brands, but the fruit and wine infusion had be intrigued and you know what? Its pretty damn fantastic. Quite recommend for a mid-range medium roast!

If you like to brew yourself then try Nomadic Grounds Single Origin Ethiopia. With all the roasters in the SF Bay, this is my absolute favorite. It's a light to medium roast. 18$/lb shipped.

https://www.nomadicground.com

Yall want some crazy good flavors of Coffee?
https://www.christopherbean.com/

No shit. Its about the best specialty flavors I've ever espresso ground and turned into iced coffee goodness.
I highly recommend their "Winter Wonderland" Blend. Its a hazelnut, caramel, vanilla, a hint of coconut, and white chocolate blend.
Try Temple Coffee, for single bags or subs. It's roaster that got me into premium coffee and they set a really damned high bar. I'm not a big fan of Stumptown or Intelligentsia that are easily available around the states (or at least where I've lived).
I've been happy with 49th Parallel out British Columbia

Some Roasters:

Intelligentsia
Stumptown Coffee
Counter Culture Coffee
Blue Bottle
Madcap

Some Resources:

SCAA - Specialty Coffee Association of America
Seattle Coffee Gear - Youtube
Barista Hustle
Coffee Compass
Caffeine in Coffee - Dark vs Light

PSA: CoffeeERA does not discriminate against people who drink their coffee with milk, cream, sugar, at Starbucks, McDonald's, Dunkin Donuts, frappuccinos, flavored coffee, or even Pumpkin spice lattes.

Last edited:

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Stopped smoking cigarettes cold turkey last year, I don't think I can ever foster the strength to stop drinking coffee though.

I like it dark as a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than the deepest depths of hell itselves.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up a conical burr grinder a few months ago, it's really nice.

Just wish the burr was METAL instead of plastic :( Been using it to make some cold brew for work and then a moka pot in the mornings on the weekends.

Only downside is I have to sift the grounds like crazy before making the cold brew or it's so, so gritty.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After I opened an office in the Ukraine, I realized they (with my money) had bough a seneco espresso machine:
-I tried the seneco espresso machine with Lavazza beans.
-I got on a plane back to the USA.
-I went straight into my office.
-I threw out the Keurig and the Nespresso machines.
-I bought the seneco espresso machine, again...

Lavazza espresso beans are definitely my high water mark in the US. Anyone got any better recommendations?

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I grind my beans* espresso-style.
I use an aeropress with 2oz of hot water with two filters for extra pressure.
I heat up a cup of milk then froth it.
I mix and enjoy it as a latte.
Sometimes I add chocolate syrup for a mocha.

*Cafe Rosso Hunapu. Best. beans. ever. Period.

Jazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I grind my beans* espresso-style.
I use an aeropress with 2oz of hot water with two filters for extra pressure.
I heat up a cup of milk then froth it.
I mix and enjoy it as a latte.
Sometimes I add chocolate syrup for a mocha.

*Cafe Rosso Hunapu. Best. beans. ever. Period.
Damn this sounds good. Im way too lazy to heat up the milk and do all that shit in the morning though.

chuseph14

Oct 26, 2017
Let's gooooo CoffeeEra

Lemme start.
Something something aeropress
Blah blah french press
Yada yada burr grinders
Pour over coffee

edit: Late; caught still not reading the thread. Old habits never die

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
Just brought a BeeHouse a few weeks ago, so I'm still learning how to pour, but I really enjoy that cup of coffee after class.

Also, black coffee>>>>> adding milk

LtOrange

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego
I know nothing about good coffee, but have been hoping to change that. I drink a crappy cup of Starbucks most week days and it has been really hurting my wallet. Does anyone have recommendations for entry level coffee makers?

Union Carbine

Oct 26, 2017
My espresso machine is down for the moment. I'm bouncing between aeropress and pour over, mostly, until I get it fixed. I'm not a big fan of the Italian beans. I usually buy locally roasted beans. I also like George Howell. I'll dip into other small roasters when I get the urge.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Thanks to the old community at on GAF, I winded up picking up Pour Over Coffee. Though, since I didn't want to break the bank, I'm uing a Bodum Pour Over.

I also managed to get a Goose-Necked Electric Kettle on sale from Target a few months back. I'm using it for both my coffee and tea now.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
The main reason I was thinking of getting a keurig was not for me but for large parties where I can't just brew one pot of coffee. It get annoying brewing multiple pots.
That makes sense. It's just super easy and fast to use and the coffee is good. It's a slightly pricier way to make coffee at home but still very cheap compared to buying coffee at a cafe. I'm really digging it.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's bad for the environment and I know I need to stop, but damnit K-cups are so easy to use at work. I need to invest in a coffee maker.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I got a Keurig too. Been using it, but I think I will need to return it because I won't need it anymore and Sams Club does have that 90 day return policy on electronics o.o

Union Carbine

Oct 26, 2017
I can't do the Keurig but there's no question about it's speed/convenience. Even with large parties, I'll just do multiple pots, cups, or whatever. I actually don't mind putting that work in.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
I'm stuck using my moka maker on a gas stove since I got no electricity for my Bonavita BV1900TS.

'sall good tho. As long as I can drink my dark elixir.

Sonata

Oct 25, 2017
Stopped smoking cigarettes cold turkey last year, I don't think I can ever foster the strength to stop drinking coffee though.

I like it dark as a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than the deepest depths of hell itselves.

Perfect avatar.

Any coffee is good for me but my preference is dark coffee, just a little bit of milk, no sugar.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
It's bad for the environment and I know I need to stop, but damnit K-cups are so easy to use at work. I need to invest in a coffee maker.
I thought the new K-cups that use a cloth bottom was the industry answer to the full plastic cups? I've seen those in some businesses but I couldn't find them for sale on amazon.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm a big fan of iced coffee and have a toddy coldbrew setup that I've used off and on for a while. 2 questions:

-Is there a decent cheap coffee grinder I can get that I can use to grind a whole bag with for coldbrew purposes? A lot of specific recommendations I see are for single pot/cup grinders, and/or larger ones that are also silly expensive.

-What's some decent/not crazy expensive coffee I can get off Amazon or find reasonably in a store? I got some Lavazza Dark Roast and it smelled amazing, but because I had to get it already ground (see my first question) I think that definitely affected the quality. I'm also still trying to find the right water to concentrate ratio as well as how long to run it; anyone have any specific experience with Toddys? The manual just says to leave it for anywhere from 12-24 hours and I'm not sure how much of that is personal preference and how much depends on the coffee; I've been doing around 20 hours.

Basically I'm trying to get a little bit more serious but I'm also on a budget, at least for the grinder. I have a local coffee shop that's not a Starbucks where I can buy whole bean and have it ground for me, but their selection is really hit or miss and is also very expensive (I paid like $6 less for the Lavazza off amazon than I did for something of similar or worse there).

Mistle

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I love my Gaggia Classic. Got it for a steal second hand as some newlyweds got it as a gift and didn't want it. Lately I've been using cheap beans as the good ones here in Melbourne are quite expensive, but currently I have this local blend and my god... so good

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Cold brew coffee ERA here.

It's all I drink. A splash of soy milk and a dash of mocha latte sauce (yay chocolate sauce), shaken in a tumbler... perfect morning, every morning. We use Lavazzo or something.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about making this thread earlier today and never got around to it. My go to is a Chemex pretty much every morning.

I'll do an Aeropress or Clever if it's just for me and the occasional press pot if I'm feeling crazy. Have a Bialetti, but not really a fan unless I load it down the sugar and frothed milk.

So I'm a big fan of iced coffee and have a toddy coldbrew setup that I've used off and on for a while. 2 questions:

-Is there a decent cheap coffee grinder I can get that I can use to grind a whole bag with for coldbrew purposes? A lot of specific recommendations I see are for single pot/cup grinders, and/or larger ones that are also silly expensive.

-What's some decent/not crazy expensive coffee I can get off Amazon or find reasonably in a store? I got some Lavazza Dark Roast and it smelled amazing, but because I had to get it already ground (see my first question) I think that definitely affected the quality. I'm also still trying to find the right water to concentrate ratio as well as how long to run it; anyone have any specific experience with Toddys? The manual just says to leave it for anywhere from 12-24 hours and I'm not sure how much of that is personal preference and how much depends on the coffee; I've been doing around 20 hours.

Basically I'm trying to get a little bit more serious but I'm also on a budget, at least for the grinder. I have a local coffee shop that's not a Starbucks where I can buy whole bean and have it ground for me, but their selection is really hit or miss and is also very expensive (I paid like $6 less for the Lavazza off amazon than I did for something of similar or worse there).

As far as a grinder. I've got a Bodum Bistro that I got for cheap a few years ago and they can still occasionally be found at Target in the $50-$60 range. Other than that you either drop the ~$100 on a return Baraza Encore or just buy a $10 blade grinder while you save up for something better. You can make awesome cold brew with a blade grinder, just pour it through a standard filter after.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Use a French press and a stove top. Just started using a stove top. Think I still prefer the French press.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bean fiend too. My local shop has some Kenya AA and Geisha beans that I can't get enough of. The Kenyas are smoky, acidic, and a little fruity, whereas the Geisha is more herbal and flowery. Wonderful stuff, and even though I usually go straight espresso or black cold-brew, I have to be sacrilegious sometimes and order an ice latte, because it's damn hot here.

MickD

Oct 26, 2017
Denver
I can't decide how I want to brew next. I've been doing French press for years but that aeropress has sparked my interest. Got sober recently and have replaced it with coffee, woo.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Someone offered to sell me their Saeco Titan conical burr grinder for $10 a little while back. They lost the hopper top but I've got a lid from a plastic container that fits it perfectly. I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it and it's great. The results are obviously much, much better than my blade grinder but the regular use and cleaning is much easier as well. I should have bought one long ago.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to buy a Breville Creatista but I'm already drinking too much coffee as it is... is there another automatic machine that has a frother of equal quality?

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about making this thread earlier today and never got around to it. My go to is a Chemex pretty much every morning.

I'll do an Aeropress or Clever if it's just for me and the occasional press pot if I'm feeling crazy. Have a Bialetti, but not really a fan unless I load it down the sugar and frothed milk.

As far as a grinder. I've got a Bodum Bistro that I got for cheap a few years ago and they can still occasionally be found at Target in the $50-$60 range. Other than that you either drop the ~$100 on a return Baraza Encore or just buy a $10 blade grinder while you save up for something better. You can make awesome cold brew with a blade grinder, just pour it through a standard filter after.

So until I decide to upgrade something like say this would be fine? I'd have to think it would be a step up over using pre-ground coffee since that's not coarse at all. What do you mean by pouring it through a standard filter after though?

Additionally, how true is it that you really need to make cold brew with darker roasts? I've seen some coffees that sound great but they're much lighter roasts so I wasn't sure how they would turn out.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
So until I decide to upgrade something like say this would be fine? I'd have to think it would be a step up over using pre-ground coffee since that's not coarse at all. What do you mean by pouring it through a standard filter after though?

Additionally, how true is it that you really need to make cold brew with darker roasts? I've seen some coffees that sound great but they're much lighter roasts so I wasn't sure how they would turn out.

Yeah. Grinding beans right before you use them gets you ~90% of the way there as far as a grinder goes. A decent burr grinder gives you way more control and repeat-ability, but you can make great coffee with that Krups blade grinder.

I missed your Toddy reference so the filter thing doesn't apply. I was assuming you were doing cold brew using the overnight press pot method.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Still trucking along with my Baratza Preciso and Gaggia Classic (modded with a different steam wand). Thankfully no real urge to upgrade anytime soon. Thinking of getting a Jura or some other fully automatic one for the office though...

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I always buy nice beer but usually just go for the cheap Trader Joe's coffee option.

Just dawned on me reading this thread... I should spend a little more on my beans.

I have a 2+ year old Badum French press. Any suggestions on an upgrade? Nothing too slow as I need to make it fast in the morning.

Chouster

Oct 25, 2017
I use preground beans, a Kalita Wave and a Zojirushi thermopot with a slow pour option. I have a French press and an Aeropress but prefer this option for the best taste:cleanup ratio.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
I always buy nice beer but usually just go for the cheap Trader Joe's coffee option.

Just dawned on me reading this thread... I should spend a little more on my beans.

I have a 2+ year old Badum French press. Any suggestions on an upgrade? Nothing too slow as I need to make it fast in the morning.

Definitely upgrade the beans. Try to find a local roaster where you can get stuff within days of being roasted. That will be huge. As for easy coffee methods other than French Press (which is super easy and can make great coffee), I like the Clever brewer, which pretty much makes press pot coffee that goes through a filter and the Aeropress. Both can make single cups and be cleaned up in <5 mins + the time it takes to heat water and both are very "hackable" in that they give you a lot of ways to play around with different variables.

FroMonk

Oct 25, 2017
My standard coffee process right now is I have a little 4 cup Mr. Coffee drip machine at my desk for the weekday mornings, and a french press with a regular cheapo bean grinder for the weekends. I understand that getting a burr grinder is ideal for getting a grind that's more consistent which sounds like the next step, but I'm also interested in cold brewing...but have no idea how this is accomplished. Thoughts?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just use a moka pot and the ~2lb bags of lavazza you can get on amazon for a reasonable price. Use a kettle to heat up water before adding it to the moka pot, then add the rest to the cup after it is done. I have a cheapo cuisinart grinder that I would like to upgrade at some point.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it actually true light toast had more caffeine or is that a myth

Bombadil

Oct 25, 2017
Near the Withywindle river
Anyone else now immune to the effects of caffeine? I can drink 5+ coffees a day and other than some anxiety, I feel nothing, and can sleep without any problem at any point. I'm trying to cut back, but... It's hard. :(

Oct 25, 2017
I loved my Keurig for the first little bit, but I find the water doesn't get hot enough for my liking, and now it is a giant dust collector. Still I can't seem to part with it. However I enjoy any coffee from good to bad as long as it is filled with to the brim with caffeine!

D23

Oct 25, 2017
My office building has Starbucks in the lobby. So I always get a grande blonde roast every morning

Union Carbine

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else now immune to the effects of caffeine? I can drink 5+ coffees a day and other than some anxiety, I feel nothing, and can sleep without any problem at any point. I'm trying to cut back, but... It's hard. :(
I am. I need to take a break and see if I can get it out of my system a bit,

Re: grinders, any burr grinder is going to be miles better than a blade. Avoid the blades. I use hand grinders exclusively at the moment. If you don't mind putting in a bit of work, you can get one for cheaper than the cheapest mechanical burr grinders. For single cups, a Porlex Mini will do fine.