• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
I've been buying from a local roaster for years, and have pretty much perfected making coffee in a French press. I enjoy the ritual of waking up in the morning and making a good cup of coffee to go with breakfast. However, since we had our first child, it's been pretty hit-or-miss when when it comes to making a cup in the press or having to throw in a K-Cup to get by. Switching back and forth really has made me appreciate the importance of fresh ground beans, compared to whatever the hell it is that they pack into KCups. It's not just the flavor either, the lack of caffeine I get when I use the Keurig over making actual coffee is so huge that I might as well not of had a cup at all. I've recently switched over to making a cup of tea on the busy mornings and that's made a big difference.

I really need to invest in a decent drip machine that has a timer set for 6 AM. At least then I could grind my beans the night before, and have a decent cup in the morning. It's crazy how much having a child wreaks havoc with your basic life rhythms.

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine for my wife for her birthday a week or so ago. Wanted to go mid range for our first espresso machine. Makes amazing drinks. Can't for the life of me do anything approaching latte art but whatever, it tastes the same.

The biggest problem is that I generally don't have time in the morning to make something with that many steps, so it's a weekend experience.

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine for my wife for her birthday a week or so ago. Wanted to go mid range for our first espresso machine. Makes amazing drinks. Can't for the life of me do anything approaching latte art but whatever, it tastes the same.

The biggest problem is that I generally don't have time in the morning to make something with that many steps, so it's a weekend experience.

This is actually the reason I got rid of my espresso machine (Breville duo). I'd much rather make a drip or a pour over for me and my wife than go through the work of making an espresso.

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually the reason I got rid of my espresso machine (Breville duo). I'd much rather make a drip or a pour over for me and my wife than go through the work of making an espresso.

The most obnoxious part is having to immediately clean the frother. That and if I want to drink one simultaneously with my wife it is even longer. Takes far less time to grind and French press a press that holds enough for two large coffees. It looks really good in our newly remodeled kitchen though, hah.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using a Fellow EKG since June and I won't be going back to another brand of electric kettle anytime soon, it's just that good. A bit pricey I know, but it's really worth it if you are really dialed in on your brewing temperature needs. It heats up a bit slow on a cold morning, but I find it cranks up the heat and keeps it dialed in so you can set it up and come back to it.

I'd like to ask for some suggestions of "wet" variety beans? This new Trader Joe's honey processed has me convinced I only like the "wet" beans. I've been using the Barefoot brand lately as it's one of my favorite and most consistent third waves around. Andytown is a strong second, but they don't really offer much variety and they aren't conveniently available.

Anyone been to any of the Hawaiian coffee plantations? Me and the missus are thinking about going on a trip there and I'd love to hear about anyone's experience and if they thought it was worth the time to check out.
Thanks, that's really helpful. It's definitely more than I was looking to spend, but I also want to be sure to get something that will actually perform and last this time. Will keep my eye out for any black Friday deals I could apply towards something like this. I drink a lot of tea as well as coffee, so the temperature setting would really take my beverage game to the next level.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I love coffee. I drink an average of 2 cups a day. I make black coffee by mixing medium and dark coffee beans and I grind them in the same day to keep the freshness. I use regular food strainer to filter my coffee and the result is great.

Food-Strainer.jpg

The thing is that I don't appreciate the other fancy ways to prepare coffee at work or at home. The other methods may taste 5% better but for me it is not worth the 300% extra hassle and cost like an espresso machine.

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I love coffee. I drink an average of 2 cups a day. I make black coffee by mixing medium and dark coffee beans and I grind them in the same day to keep the freshness. I use regular food strainer to filter my coffee and the result is great.

Food-Strainer.jpg

The thing is that I don't appreciate the other fancy ways to prepare coffee at work or at home. The other methods may taste 5% better but for me it is not worth the 300% extra hassle and cost like an espresso machine.

So you do a pour over with the strainer or you immerse the strainer in water?

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I should get a new one. I've never been a huge fan of moka pots...mostly due to my inability to produce a consistent cup with them.
I love moka pots but they do require lots of attention... or developing a system where you know exactly how long it's going to take so you can come by and pull the pot off the burner at the perfect time. When you master it though, it's really a delicious, viscous brew.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I love moka pots but they do require lots of attention... or developing a system where you know exactly how long it's going to take so you can come by and pull the pot off the burner at the perfect time. When you master it though, it's really a delicious, viscous brew.
They seem pretty fool proof to me but maybe I just have a good routine down. Certainly fits within the level of effort I'm willing to give for a decent cup in the morning, which isn't much. A lot better than easier alternatives at least.

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
They seem pretty fool proof to me but maybe I just have a good routine down. Certainly fits within the level of effort I'm willing to give for a decent cup in the morning, which isn't much. A lot better than easier alternatives at least.
They're definitely not fool proof. Most people I see trying to use a moka pot leave it on the burner way too long.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Just found out about this thread... for the lazy folks, like myself, which k-cups are your favorite?

I've tried the Starbucks ones...the green mountain ones... and currently the big bundle that has Green Mountain, Donut Shop, Some Italian one... but after trying all these... all come with different artificial flavors obviously.... I still come back to

GUEST_c81069c8-d216-4250-aede-fbe8943d6173

I know little of cooking or coffee... but with this I mix it with alittle bit HeavyCream...40% Coconut Milk..and the small cup setting on my Keurig Machine. For the coconut milk, I put some cinnamon and ginger powder.. then microwave it for 60 seconds, then under the Keurig Machine.

No suger or nothing else.

I should stop being lazy and boil the coconut milk. But with the microwave approach, all this takes is about 80 secs.. boom done. >_<

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Fifteen+ years ago when my wife and I started dating I splurged and bought her a Rancilio Silvia and a grinder in a package for Christmas. It served us as best it could, but it was finally time to upgrade for our anniversary. I bought an Expobar Brewtus and man is it a whole different world of nice. Having a proper PID, along with two full independently controlled boilers, just completely changed our ability to make espresso-based drinks at whatever rate we wanted, and at a more consistent quality level. We haven't plumbed a line yet but seriously thinking about it. As well as upgrading the grinder eventually too. The Silvia lives on at our office, however, still puttering along.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I should get a new one. I've never been a huge fan of moka pots...mostly due to my inability to produce a consistent cup with them.
Not sure if you've tried this but here's how I get consistent cups:

0) start with room temp water
1) open the top lid when placing onto the burner
2) set to low burner setting
3) watch the pot
4) when the coffee starts slowly trickling out, pay close attention because it will eventually start to rapidly sputter -- as soon as this starts, immediately close the top lid and let it bubble for 5 seconds
5) shut off the burner and let it sit for 30 seconds
6) pour and enjoy!

Anidav

Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane

I thought they created versions with dual valve systems that regulate the flow of water basically making it fool proof iirc. They were like double the price though.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Just found out about this thread... for the lazy folks, like myself, which k-cups are your favorite?

I've tried the Starbucks ones...the green mountain ones... and currently the big bundle that has Green Mountain, Donut Shop, Some Italian one... but after trying all these... all come with different artificial flavors obviously.... I still come back to

GUEST_c81069c8-d216-4250-aede-fbe8943d6173

I know little of cooking or coffee... but with this I mix it with alittle bit HeavyCream...40% Coconut Milk..and the small cup setting on my Keurig Machine. For the coconut milk, I put some cinnamon and ginger powder.. then microwave it for 60 seconds, then under the Keurig Machine.

No suger or nothing else.

I should stop being lazy and boil the coconut milk. But with the microwave approach, all this takes is about 80 secs.. boom done. >_<

Nantucket blend. K-cups are a sin in the coffee world, but I hate making coffee.

MikeRahl

Oct 27, 2017

I have this exact machine. I agree that making a latte is too much on a weekday morning. However, I do enjoy making Americano's using it in the morning. It's pretty simple I even let my 3 year old daughter do most of the steps.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just the OP. I always did coffee press like this:

1- Add ground coffee to the press.
2- Pour all the boiling water on top.
3- Press it.
4- Wait 10 mins.
5- Pour.

I don't know if it's wrong but it's not what the OP says. I don't press just before I pour. I guess I end up with some of the water well infused, the rest less.

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
Hoping someone knowledgeable here can offer some advice. I currently have a nespresso pod machine that does both the coffee and milk together with one press(so a slightly more expensive model) but I still hate it. I don't really like the coffee and it's extremely noisy at 5am when the fiancee is still sleeping. I've also wanted to try switch to grinding my own beans for quite some time now so figure I may as well just bite the bullet and give something a shot, only problem is I am not sure what. I want something relatively quick, as again, 5am means I am tired and getting ready for work and minimal clean up. I was looking at getting a plunger/french press(not sure if the same thing?) but then noticed for not much more I could get something like either of these two options;

https://www.kitchenwarehouse.com.au/Breville-Aroma-Style-Coffee-Maker

https://www.kitchenwarehouse.com.au/Bodum-Bistro-Programmable-Coffee-Maker-12-Cup

Not sure what makes one worth $50 more than the other, the more expensive one isn't in stock either. The idea of grinding some beans the night before, setting this type of machine to start brewing around 4:50am then just quickly having to pour it, do some milk and head to work sounds perfect. But would it be any good; is a plunger/french press going to be worth the extra time/effort or would this suffice, especially as a starting off point?

Any advice much appreciated.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking about enrolling in a part time barista training course. I think being trained by a pro could help me tune my palate as well as my brewing techniques. Has anyone here trained as a barista? If so, do you think a class is worthwhile or is self training a good option?

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
I'm thinking about enrolling in a part time barista training course. I think being trained by a pro could help me tune my palate as well as my brewing techniques. Has anyone here trained as a barista? If so, do you think a class is worthwhile or is self training a good option?
I'm a barista. Training is worthwhile and pretty fun if it's professional. You learn a bunch of interesting theory about coffee too, which I found so interesting. It really makes you appreciate the coffee.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a barista. Training is worthwhile and pretty fun if it's professional. You learn a bunch of interesting theory about coffee too, which I found so interesting. It really makes you appreciate the coffee.

Thanks! I'm looking at places near me in the bay area that have classes on my days off (Tue, Wed). I'm questioning whether I should instead try and find a part time gig at a good coffee shop like Blue Bottle or Philz (all imo). I don't know how extensive their training is, but at least I wouldn't have to pay for classes.

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
Sort of bump/sort of double post sorry but looking to head out and buy something this weekend. Would either of these options be suitable for starting out with a grinder and fresh beans?

https://www.kitchenwarehouse.com.au/Breville-Aroma-Style-Coffee-Maker

https://www.kitchenwarehouse.com.au/Bodum-Bistro-Programmable-Coffee-Maker-12-Cup

As my slightly longer post above mentioned I am interested in these instead of a press due to the fact I can prep it the night before and wake up to it ready to drink.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Hey coffee Era, I'm looking for some recs. My dad loves coffee, and his favorite was this Jamaican stuff he had in ... Jamaica. If I wanted to order some bomb ass Jamaican coffee, where would you recommend I go or brands I look at?

You can get "American's take on Jamaican coffee" pretty easy and it's called Jamaican coffee, but it LIES. LIES LIES LIES!

Barring that, he's a pretty no-frills guy so I'll settle with a medium roast that's really good. Like, I want top-tier shit since it'll be a Christmas present.

Edit: we do have a grindr*, so that's a thing.

*jokes!

ThanksVision

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also looking for some recs.. I do pour over every morning and it's great. only issue is that I like to use those hario range servers but they shatter sooooo easily. anyone have a recommended server I can do my pour overs in that won't break from tapping the counter? kinda ridiculous how fragile they are

dietertong

Oct 28, 2017
Conkersbadfurday Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee is a good brand to look for, mild roast with a lack of bitterness generally what it is known for. Not sure where you can grab it though, though I have seen it in local coffee shops by me before

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My coffee routine has become out of control on a workday:

1) First coffee when I wake up because my lovely GF makes me one in the morning
2) 2nd coffee when I get in to the office
3) Third coffee (cappuccino) after late morning meal

I need to calm down because I'm getting irritable.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Here's a fun coffee question that, probably, has been covered but:

How shitty is your work coffee? We get free stuff where I work, but it's like boiled dirt half the time. I drink a cup a day because it's there and bitching about coffee is like a solidarity test with my cowworkers, but good god is it bad. The cream is powdered too.

But you know what? They have little packets of hot chocolate mix, and if you throw the two together you got yourself a nice lil treat. Evidently you can cover most bad things with sugar and be content.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Yeah, years ago I used to mix hot chocolate mix with shitty work coffee. I eventually bought an Aeropress and Porlex Mini and am much happier while everyone else uses the k-cup monstrosity.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's Christmas, which means a couple of things in coffee land:

1) Third Wave Wichteln is back on! It's worldwide coffee Secret Santa - send a bag of fresh, locally-roasted, single-origin beans to somewhere in the world, get one from somewhere else. I've done it for three years running at this point and although it can be a little expensive to ship to another country, it's been worth it for the interesting coffees I've received in turn and seeing people post about their own (inc. spotting mine) on the Facebook group. I really recommend it to anyone who has time for it.

https://thirdwavewichteln.com/

2) Christmas blends are coming out! One of my local roasters has a lovely one that always has a very spicy note to it, and one from further afield has a great blend that I'd buy just for the packaging because I am a sucker for cats.

Interested to see what other roasters have come up with, especially if they're close enough to buy!

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Question, how does one make a cup of coffee with an electric water kettle?

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a fun coffee question that, probably, has been covered but:

How shitty is your work coffee? We get free stuff where I work, but it's like boiled dirt half the time. I drink a cup a day because it's there and bitching about coffee is like a solidarity test with my cowworkers, but good god is it bad. The cream is powdered too.

But you know what? They have little packets of hot chocolate mix, and if you throw the two together you got yourself a nice lil treat. Evidently you can cover most bad things with sugar and be content.
We have K cups in my office. Luckily I decide what we order so I can at least get something halfway decent there. Also, I put in a nespresso and have the office order pods regularly so that is a plus.