• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo I'm going to have to try something weird.

I'm working remote for a few months and my temp place has an electric element range. I usually make my morning cup in my moka and after a week of testing I've realized the element only works on the 2nd highest heat setting. I've tried to get the timing right but it's been burning every brew. Well not burning, but boiling to the point of harsh bitterness. So I go out and buy a cheap counter top cooking pad, but all they've got are induction heaters.

The problem with this is the moka pot is aluminum so it isn't compatible with the heater. To compensate, I'm going to trying something a bit odd. I'm going to double boil my moka. I've got a small steel pot I'm going to fill up to below the valve of the moka and boil the moka pot itself. May actually make for a more even brew.

I guess I could just use the steel pot itself as an induction interface, but double boiling sounds like a more fun experiment and since I accidentally bought 600 grams of local coffee beans, I've got a lot of test material.
Have you considered just doing a pour over, aeropress or even a syphon since you have access to a heating element?

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Have you considered just doing a pour over, aeropress or even a syphon since you have access to a heating element?

Didnt want to have to buy an extra device just for this trip just for coffee. I always bring my moka pot with me (and travel grinder). I guess I should always carry a backup pour over. Pour overs are pretty cheap too. That said I had to get the new stove top anyways. If the double boil doesnt work I'll fail back to pour over. Siphon though? Nah. Not a big fan of the attention it needs and it's not very travel friendly. I'm also a bit burnt out on it to be honest. Fancy cafes in the states are all turning to that and most stand alone cafes here (Japan) are turning to that as well.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm thinking of getting into the Espresso machine game and was wondering if anyone can give me the better choice between the Breville Infuser and the ECM Casa V?

Edit: Online reading is telling me I should care more about the grinder than the espresso machine.

Last edited:

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm thinking of getting into the Espresso machine game and was wondering if anyone can give me the better choice between the Breville Infuser and the ECM Casa V?

Edit: Online reading is telling me I should care more about the grinder than the espresso machine.
sure you want another hobby?

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Made a delicious cappuccino today with my hamington beach machine. I need a grinder but I can deal with a 15 second pour using my readymade coffee powder. Doesn't taste that bad honestly.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
This might raise a few eyebrows but any NYC'ers love street cart coffee?

Not gonna blow you away, but for $1 and a little cream, I love those things in the morning, especially if you're in a rush.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

Not gonna blow you away, but for $1 and a little cream, I love those things in the morning, especially if you're in a rush.
I mean, I always get the blond roast at Starbucks, as generic as that is. You get used to things. At home I grind my own beans, have a stellar coffee machine and savor coffee on the weekends. But typically weekdays I just grab a cup from Starbucks. Cart coffee is always too light bodied for me.

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017

Similar to this, I love getting caffecito in Puerto Rico. I cheap double shot of espresso in the morning will get you going. If you want it with milk and sugar that's more traditional but I like mine black.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been a coffee person, but someone I know in Vietnam sent me Trung Nguyen coffee and an aluminum drip filter so I can make Vietnamese cà phê sua đá at home now...

It's too delicious and I now have my first ever caffeine headache. Help 😨

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I am really considering a Breville Bambino Plus. Anyone have one? Worth it?

Are you looking for a small form factor machine in particular? Why not get the Breville Barista model itself if you are spending $500? (It is on sale now for $450).

If you have a good grinder already, maybe something like the newer Gaggia Classic? (that's what I have been using for the last few years, love it)

Last edited:

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
^ Good recommendations. I have the Breville Barista and love it. If you already have a quality grinder, then I could see getting something else.
And for what it's worth, Seattle Coffee Gear (one of the YouTube channels posted above) is great. Very honest reviews/opinions of this stuff.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Been using this cold brew coffee maker for about a month and I've been very happy with it:

I had one of the Japanese cold brew caraffes, but I stopped using it because of how long it took to pour the water over... 15, 20 mins+ of standing at the sink, and I just didn't have time to do that for making a small batch. This makes a lot of coffee over night and is dead simple to use. I usually let it brew for 24 hours, and then you flip the switch and it drains into the caraffe. It recommends using a 1:4 coffee:water dilution ration, but I do about 1:1 or 1:2, and it's good.

I've been using some beans from a local roastery lately, but originally bought 2 bags from this NYC roastery and it was good:

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Been using this cold brew coffee maker for about a month and I've been very happy with it:

I had one of the Japanese cold brew caraffes, but I stopped using it because of how long it took to pour the water over... 15, 20 mins+ of standing at the sink, and I just didn't have time to do that for making a small batch. This makes a lot of coffee over night and is dead simple to use. I usually let it brew for 24 hours, and then you flip the switch and it drains into the caraffe. It recommends using a 1:4 coffee:water dilution ration, but I do about 1:1 or 1:2, and it's good.

I've been using some beans from a local roastery lately, but originally bought 2 bags from this NYC roastery and it was good:

Do you notice any difference from making it in a regular french press? I've been making a fair bit this year (1:7 ratio usually though, 24 hour steep) and something like this might be worth it for me if there is an improvement.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Do you notice any difference from making it in a regular french press? I've been making a fair bit this year (1:7 ratio usually though, 24 hour steep) and something like this might be worth it for me if there is an improvement.

I never made cold brew with the french press so unfortunately I can't compare it. My previous cold brew carafe was one that you have a basket sitting in it with the grounds, you pour water over the grounds, and let it sit over night, and take the basket out in the morning (or 24 hours or w/e)

This method is probably more similar to the french press because the water and the grounds are mixed together until you drain them. I have an Oxo french press so I should try it.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doing research is this essentially alcohol?
Huh, apparently so? I did some quick reading and they say that the bitters are so diluted by the drink you shouldn't come close to a buzz. Kinda shocked that they just put one in the kit, to be honest. Apparently they aren't considered an alcoholic beverage by the TTB, but I don't really know what that means in practice.

When I get home, I can see what kind was included in the kit . . . Maybe it doesn't have any alcohol?

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Are you looking for a small form factor machine in particular? Why not get the Breville Barista model itself if you are spending $500? (It is on sale now for $450).

If you have a good grinder already, maybe something like the newer Gaggia Classic? (that's what I have been using for the last few years, love it)
I have a Baratza Encore. Hmmmmm decisions

Dec 23, 2017
Huh, apparently so? I did some quick reading and they say that the bitters are so diluted by the drink you shouldn't come close to a buzz. Kinda shocked that they just put one in the kit, to be honest. Apparently they aren't considered an alcoholic beverage by the TTB, but I don't really know what that means in practice.

When I get home, I can see what kind was included in the kit . . . Maybe it doesn't have any alcohol?
Ok cool let me know. Might be something to try in the weekend but can't do it on the weekdays if there is alcohol involved. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
Ok cool let me know. Might be something to try in the weekend but can't do it on the weekdays if there is alcohol involved. 🤷🏾‍♂️
Angostura bitters are like 45% ABV. However, you'll want to think of them more like vanilla extract, which has about the same amount of alcohol. You are only adding a dash or two (1/8-1/4tsp) to get a ton of flavor. We're talking like 1/100th of a standard drink.

Dec 23, 2017
Angostura bitters are like 45% ABV. However, you'll want to think of them more like vanilla extract, which has about the same amount of alcohol. You are only adding a dash or two (1/8-1/4tsp) to get a ton of flavor. We're talking like 1/100th of a standard drink.
Is there a lot of sugar? I usually drink just black to stay away from sugar and I like the taste.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a lot of sugar? I usually drink just black to stay away from sugar and I like the taste.
No sugar. You get a sort of percieved sweetness from the spices (Cinnamon, Allspice, Orange) and a bitterness from the gentian and cinchona. I've never tried them in coffee, but I'll throw a dash or two into seltzer and you don't get much bitterness and just a light spice on the aroma.

If you just want to add a little flavor to coffee, you could mix a little cinnamon or something like cardamom, clove, allspice or blends, something like a chai, minus the tea.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm back on the coffee train after a few years of lazy instant drinking. The French press was released from the cupboard and given new life! Then it went back in the cupboard because I remembered why I put it in the cupboard in the first place, bloody pain in the arse that it is.

Yesterday I got an Aeropress and a hand grinder, and some crappy supermarket beans. Things are looking up and I'm having fun experimenting, but the beans aren't exactly setting the world on fire. I live in the middle of nowhere so I can't buy from a local roaster (gotta move back to the city, everything sucks out here unless you like gazing at sheep).

Any UK folk use a coffee subscription service? There are loads and loads. I want to get 250g packs that fit through the letterbox, plenty of variety and the option to pause the subscription without having to call anyone. I'd use North Star since they're semi-local and I know they're good, but they fail the letterbox test. Any suggestions?

The Aeropress is interesting. My first couple of cups were not very nice, and I think it was because I used water that was too cool. The instructions said 80°C and I don't have a thermometer so I let the kettle cool for a few minutes. Not good. So far I've had the best results with a fine grind (3 on a Porlex grinder) and adding water up to level 3, ~1 minute after the kettle boils. There are so many variables and I had 7 cups of coffee yesterday and I couldn't sleep and now it's today and I'm wide awake thinking about coffee. I'm also thinking about water filters and cold brew and that I'm poor and I should have stuck with instant instead of opening Pandora's Box.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Any UK folk use a coffee subscription service? There are loads and loads. I want to get 250g packs that fit through the letterbox, plenty of variety and the option to pause the subscription without having to call anyone. I'd use North Star since they're semi-local and I know they're good, but they fail the letterbox test. Any suggestions?

HasBean definitely pass the letterbox test. Shame about North Star not being good for you though, if I bump into the owners at any point I'll try to mention that and see if they can do bubble packets like HasBean use as an option because you're not the only one I've seen complain about that online.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
HasBean definitely pass the letterbox test. Shame about North Star not being good for you though, if I bump into the owners at any point I'll try to mention that and see if they can do bubble packets like HasBean use as an option because you're not the only one I've seen complain about that online.
HasBean look good, thanks! I want to enjoy good coffee for a few months before Brexit fucks up the industry and we have to drink ground up rats.

You're in Leeds then? Any other decent roasters there? I pop over now and then and would like to move there when I get my shit together.

As for North Star, yeah, it cost them a customer in this instance. And they also require customers to pay several months up front instead of per delivery line HasBean.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You're in Leeds then? Any other decent roasters there? I pop over now and then and would like to move there when I get my shit together.

Yep, there's a good number of local roasters in Leeds. North Star as you mentioned, who are genuinely great tbh.
Maude are also a great roaster but much less known - they co-own the fantastic coffee shop Mrs Athas, which is behind House of Fraser and a couple of doors down from Travelling Man on Central Rd.
Echelon are new this year but I've been quite impressed by them and the guy who runs it is very nice and knowledgeable. They will fail your letterbox test though.
Pump'n'Grind are local, very small, only had a couple of bags from them but they were nice.
Then there is also Cielo, who are good but based more on the outskirts of Leeds these days I think. They used to have a shop on Boar Lane but had to close it due to rent costs. Still around online and in outside Leeds shops though.

TBH you can't go wrong with any of them. Very strong coffee scene here, without going into any detail of the shops themselves!

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Yep, there's a good number of local roasters in Leeds. North Star as you mentioned, who are genuinely great tbh.
Maude are also a great roaster but much less known - they co-own the fantastic coffee shop Mrs Athas, which is behind House of Fraser and a couple of doors down from Travelling Man on Central Rd.
Echelon are new this year but I've been quite impressed by them and the guy who runs it is very nice and knowledgeable. They will fail your letterbox test though.
Pump'n'Grind are local, very small, only had a couple of bags from them but they were nice.
Then there is also Cielo, who are good but based more on the outskirts of Leeds these days I think. They used to have a shop on Boar Lane but had to close it due to rent costs. Still around online and in outside Leeds shops though.

TBH you can't go wrong with any of them. Very strong coffee scene here, without going into any detail of the shops themselves!
Good info, thanks. I'll check some of those place out next time I'm in town.

I've started a HasBean sub. £7.50 for 250g, fortnightly. Not sure if I'll need it more frequently or not, I'm still in the "must make coffee all the time" new gadget phase.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Coffee Era. I want to make ten cups of coffee. I found some guide online that said I should use about 100g of grounds. Does that sound right? Seems like a lot, but maybe I've been making weak coffee for the entirety of my brewing career.

Also, I only have 65g left. I'm gonna use that, but I'd like to know for the future.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just want to say that Einstein Bros coffee is trash.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Coffee Era. I want to make ten cups of coffee. I found some guide online that said I should use about 100g of grounds. Does that sound right? Seems like a lot, but maybe I've been making weak coffee for the entirety of my brewing career.

Also, I only have 65g left. I'm gonna use that, but I'd like to know for the future.

What kind of extraction method? 65g for 10 cups might be a little weak.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of extraction method? 65g for 10 cups might be a little weak.
I'm a little coffee illiterate so I'm not entirely sure. I'm just using a typical coffee maker; uses paper filters, and you add water and grounds.

Also sorry if what I'm asking is found in any of the resources in the OP. I didn't have time to check everything out. I was just trying to get some quick info.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little coffee illiterate so I'm not entirely sure. I'm just using a typical coffee maker; uses paper filters, and you add water and grounds.

Also sorry if what I'm asking is found in any of the resources in the OP. I didn't have time to check everything out. I was just trying to get some quick info.

No worries.

I would say using the typical coffee maker, with your 65g of grounds, you might get decent coffee of about 650 ml (reasonably strong that might work with a spot of milk) to 1000ml (american style black coffee). These are highly subjective of course.

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
No worries.

I would say using the typical coffee maker, with your 65g of grounds, you might get decent coffee of about 650 ml (reasonably strong that might work with a spot of milk) to 1000ml (american style black coffee). These are highly subjective of course.
Good advice. My preferred ratio tends to be on the lower end, usually 1/17. I'll make 750ml of coffee for my wife and I and use 44g of coffee. This is on our technivorm.

Oct 26, 2017
Getting another 1940's German Probat 45kg at work. Fricken stoked.
That's a massive machine. Only worked on a 15kg Probat, then they switched to a 35kg Loring.

With Filter, you basically can't go wrong. Just make it as strong or light as you like it.

Last edited: