• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I had a Nespresso and Keurig for years, but the Nespresso fell apart (By design?) and the Keurig always tasted like shit, so I threw them both away and bought one of these when I saw it on sale

jura-ena-micro-1-coffee-maker.jpg

Jura ena micro 1

Love this machine - grinds whole beans on the spot so you always get fresh coffee at the press of a button.

I've never heard of it before, but that is one sexy machine.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep that's precisely it. Coffee went from demonizing auto methods to realizing that some people don't want a 10 minute routine to just get their coffee.

I think it's just targeting "coffee-demographics" by age I would guess. In general, younger people want better tasting but cheaper coffee (e.g. aeropress and pour-over), especially for single users!! Older people want good coffee, but have less time and attention to devote in the morning, and probably need to make more than 1 cup. Auto-brewers become more useful. This generation also has particular tastes for coffee so people are willing to spend more than $200 on auto-brewers that start at $20, whereas previous generations just want a pot of Folgers.

10 years ago there weren't so many options widely known (at least to me) so I was using a shitty auto-brew made for 12 cups just for myself as a teenager, which is really not good. Then single-use machines became available like the Keurig, but it was +$100 + expensive pods. Aeropress was the best deal because it's not sensitive to grind. Filtered pour-over is similar. Good french press requires course grind (without fine powder residue) which you can't get at home unless you have a good grinder.

As people get older, their households get bigger, their morning routine is restricted, they gotta make more coffee. All those meticulous methods go out the window. Even pour-over is too much for me, boiling a pot of water, coming back when its done, waiting for it to lower temp a little bit, pour. bloom. wait. pour. lol, I did things like that in college when my morning consisted of netflix and waiting for class to start at 11am but now I wouldn't do that to my poor body in the morning.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Huh, that goes against what I thought was standard practice for paper filters is all. I've always rinsed before adding coffee for V60, Chemex and Aeropress (when I used papers for that), whatever. You don't get any kind of papery taste your way? Redundant question really, I'm sure if you did you wouldn't carry on doing it, but...
Maybe because I was raised on the old school paper filters in a 5 cent filter holder, but I never taste Chemex's filters. I never notice a papery odor either. They're decent filters!

dietertong

Oct 28, 2017
Hey Coffee-ERA

A place I get beans and equipment from is having a Black Friday sale - 50% off everything on their store. French Presses, Pour overs, Siphon makers, beans - note the equipment is primarily stuff they make, with the exception being some accessories

The quality of the stuff is pretty good, and all purchases contribute to their Safe Water project - basically a purchase gives 50 days of safe drinking water to communities that need it (you can check more out https://grosche.ca/grosche-safe-water-project/)

Code is blackfriday17, site is www.grosche.ca

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Coffee-ERA

A place I get beans and equipment from is having a Black Friday sale - 50% off everything on their store. French Presses, Pour overs, Siphon makers, beans - note the equipment is primarily stuff they make, with the exception being some accessories

The quality of the stuff is pretty good, and all purchases contribute to their Safe Water project - basically a purchase gives 50 days of safe drinking water to communities that need it (you can check more out https://grosche.ca/grosche-safe-water-project/)

Code is blackfriday17, site is www.grosche.ca

Thanks for this! I'll make sure to post any coffee deals as well.

Deleted member 134

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This question has probably been addressed, so please forgive me. I currently use an Aeropress. I'd like to step up my game. Are there any single serve coffee machines that grind beans on demand then make coffee out of them? I'm looking for options on grinding, water temperature, etc. And the machine should be beautiful since I'm looking at it in my kitchen.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
Just grabbed a NESPRESSO, I love it so far. I needed something that I could use when I don't feel like utilizing the Chemex.

Last edited:

dietertong

Oct 28, 2017
This question has probably been addressed, so please forgive me. I currently use an Aeropress. I'd like to step up my game. Are there any single serve coffee machines that grind beans on demand then make coffee out of them? I'm looking for options on grinding, water temperature, etc. And the machine should be beautiful since I'm looking at it in my kitchen.

Thanks for your help.

Depending on how involved in your coffee making you want to be, you can either go with a semi-automatic or super- automatic espresso machine - This is a very popular semi-automatic that often goes on sale - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CH9QWOU/?tag=era0f0-20

I have one and it makes fantastic espresso

Supha_Volt

Nov 3, 2017
I've been using my American press for the last few weeks and I have loved it! The only thing I don't like is how much it makes in one press! 14 ounces isn't enough!! :(

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
BrandyWine Coffe Roasters has been recomended here before, and they are having a black friday deal:

10% off and free shipping over $25 with code COSMICTURKEY

They are also throwing in a sample of one of their small batches.

Oct 25, 2017
BrandyWine Coffe Roasters has been recomended here before, and they are having a black friday deal:

10% off and free shipping over $25 with code COSMICTURKEY

They are also throwing in a sample of one of their small batches.

Brandywine is probably the cheapest 'third wave' roaster out there. Consistently cheap and i have no clue why. I've just been very hit or miss with them in terms of quality.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Any thoughts on the Ninja Coffee bar? It's on sale for Black Friday. I'm in the market for a new machine since I dropped my carafe and cracked the lid. I do have an Aeropress as well, but I like a Drip machine in the morning since I am always in a hurry.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0160R1LEK/?tag=era0f0-20
I have it. Well... I have this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076HXR1ND/?tag=era0f0-20
It looks a little different than the one you linked, and came with the glass carafe, but not the other glasses.
I love it. It doesn't do espresso, of course, but for everything else, it does a damn good job.
Here's a non-refurb link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KA7VWWC/?tag=era0f0-20

Lakershead22

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hello,

Can someone explain to me if flavored coffee grounds have any added sugars to it? I ask because I always go for the vanilla flavored coffee at work and I am cutting the amount of sugar I intake. Thanks.

Oct 27, 2017
Hello,

Can someone explain to me if flavored coffee grounds have any added sugars to it? I ask because I always go for the vanilla flavored coffee at work and I am cutting the amount of sugar I intake. Thanks.
I don't think so. I believe the coffee beans are just stored in a container with the desired flavor profile, like sticks of cinnamon, etc., and these flavorings are then removed before packaging (source). If it imparted sugars onto the coffee, I'm sure companies would have to print that on the label (at least in the US).

rbanke

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I'm curious what people do for large amounts of coffee for guests. My wife doesn't drink coffee so I always make single cups with my Kalita, but when family comes over I've had to do several pour overs which gest tedious and takes a while when you only have a single pour over device. I've been thinking of just getting a coffee maker but feel there must be a better way to serve many. So how does ERA keep their guests caffeinated?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what people do for large amounts of coffee for guests. My wife doesn't drink coffee so I always make single cups with my Kalita, but when family comes over I've had to do several pour overs which gest tedious and takes a while when you only have a single pour over device. I've been thinking of just getting a coffee maker but feel there must be a better way to serve many. So how does ERA keep their guests caffeinated?

Just either buy a Bonavita auto or an 8-cup chemex

weremichael

Oct 27, 2017
Rocky Mountains
I'm a Gen Xer who is kind of a junky. I have a Profitec 500 espresso machine that I use to make lattes every morning (triple shot for me, double for my wife). I have an aeropress at work (also for traveling), a siphon at home for weekends for special roasts, and a French press for camping/rafting. I roast my own beans too (probably the best upgrade I've done).

I love the ritual of making coffee, the taste of coffee, the smell of coffee and how coffee makes me feel. I'm glad my wife is the same way, because I've invested a lot of money and time into obsessing over pulling the perfect naked espresso shots of single origin African beans and geisha coffee through the siphon and it's great to have someone with whom I can nerd out about flavors.

I don't judge anyone's method of imbibing coffee, but I know that when I make an aeropress of beans I roasted for keurig drinkers, they're usually freaked out by the taste and buzz that the simple device creates. It does take more time to make than pressing a button though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I do miss my old 12 cup Mr. Coffee for this reason... The only reason. I used to brew up a huge pot to cover a party. Now I typically brew two pots in my technivorm.

Nars99

Nov 1, 2017
So.. I decided to finally buy a hand grinder. The Hario mini mill.. and I broke it on its first day.
What happened is that I thought that I should clean the burr from the residual coffee dust, and I wasn't careful enough.
Luckily the small chunk that broke seems to fit back in nicely. I think I should be okay if I glued it with a very very thin layer.... I'll brew another cup in a few hours and see what happens.

I actually got the chance to brew a cup before I broke it, which tasted identical to what I'd get from a coffee-shop.. it's not a huge improvement over my blade grinder, but I once brew a cup that I couldn't replicate, and so I decided that it was time.
I will never EVER try to clean a grinder now.. a few taps should be enough.

Oct 27, 2017
So seriously. There's no good all-in-one grinder and single cup brewer device? I can't find any.

There are of course superautomatics which take care of every step for you, but that's a hell of a jump in price from your previous post about using an Aeropress. Even the cheapest one in that video is going for $450+, but it does include a grinder and everything. I've never used one but apparently you need to make sure you keep it clean (even internally) and do occasional maintenance.

Someone posted about buying a Jura superautomatic earlier in the thread here.

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question for everyone here. Ratios... SCAA and pretty much everyone states that the ideal ratio is 1:16 water to coffee.

I find that when I brew at this ratio on my drip, pour over, or even French press, the coffee is way too strong and bitter. In testing with different grind settings and amounts, my preferred is a 1:19 ratio.

Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone swear by 1:16?

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
OKay so far i've been looking for a coffee where i dont need to add sugar/creamer. i've tried a few but the only one i can really stand for taste is McCafe. other coffee's just straight up make me wanna gag.

any recommendations of some coffee's to try? The ones i've tried so far are folgers, andatti, starbucks pikes and when i get a large coffee black from mcdonalds (mccafe) lol

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question for everyone here. Ratios... SCAA and pretty much everyone states that the ideal ratio is 1:16 water to coffee.

I find that when I brew at this ratio on my drip, pour over, or even French press, the coffee is way too strong and bitter. In testing with different grind settings and amounts, my preferred is a 1:19 ratio.

Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone swear by 1:16?

1:16 is my go to for Kalita and V60, 1:15 for Chemex. 1:19 to me would be far too high so I suspect there is something off in your grind

Deleted member 134

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OKay so far i've been looking for a coffee where i dont need to add sugar/creamer. i've tried a few but the only one i can really stand for taste is McCafe. other coffee's just straight up make me wanna gag.

any recommendations of some coffee's to try? The ones i've tried so far are folgers, andatti, starbucks pikes and when i get a large coffee black from mcdonalds (mccafe) lol
Good on you. You'll need to develop a taste for it. There's probably no magical brew if you gag at other coffee. Just try some light brews. Just pick whatever local coffee shop and give it a whirl.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Good on you. You'll need to develop a taste for it. There's probably no magical brew if you gag at other coffee. Just try some light brews. Just pick whatever local coffee shop and give it a whirl.

I'd be more hopeful for one that i can Brew at home heh. Part of my intermittent fasting as i can drink this Bean water and get my caffeine + water :p as long as it's 0 cal!

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I used to do the whole pour-over thing, but I've gone back to just using the autodrip in the mornings to save time. Has anyone regressed to the basics after getting swept up in third wave coffee?

I only do "third wave" when I'm outside, since tokyo has like 80 billion third wave cafes or similar. At home I drink cold pre bottled coffee or 711 coffee (which is actually good because the machine grinds it when you brew)

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone recommend me a Nespresso machine?

I want to buy one for my mom for Christmas and I'm not a coffee person, but I want a nice one with the milk thing. (My mom mostly drinks lattes or cappuccinos.) There are a whole bunch of these and I honestly can't tell the difference. Not looking for the cheapest option but don't really want to spend over $300 either....

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
When you wake up.
When you get to work.
When you have to study.
When you're hanging out.

It's the addiction we keep feeding, might as well make it taste great while we do it.

How do you make it? What do you drink? What are your questions? There are no wrong answers.

Some great detailed basics from Baris:

Yeah, whatever. To make good coffee, take roast coffee beans, grind them, add hot water and mix. I gave up on drip filters long ago, and settled on French press or Moka. Avoid milk, add sugar only if necessary.

weremichael

Oct 27, 2017
Rocky Mountains
I'll try again with a coarser grind. See how that goes wivth a lighter roast.

I would try that ratio with the same roast/beans if you can. The ratio of coffee:water is compounded by grind, time and type of beans. A light today will give you a less bitter, less bodied cup of coffee to begin with. Was your 1:16 batch a darker roast? Where were the beans from (origin not roaster)?

Steve9842017

Nov 7, 2017
Got it pretty dialed in last night! We just finished moving into our new house and this was the last big purchase/early Christmas present. Well worth it. Coming from my normal Chemex manual setup, to a Jura superauto, to this is just amazing.

24837245_101550622658bwsy4.jpg