• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

anyprophet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question for everyone here. Ratios... SCAA and pretty much everyone states that the ideal ratio is 1:16 water to coffee.

I find that when I brew at this ratio on my drip, pour over, or even French press, the coffee is way too strong and bitter. In testing with different grind settings and amounts, my preferred is a 1:19 ratio.

Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone swear by 1:16?

I do 1:17 for pour over and french press. but I also roast city+ to full city.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Update: she loves the Cuisinart! Produces a really decent cup of coffee. I think the weak link now is my grinder (cheap mr coffee burr grinder) I was thinking of replacing the grinding disks but I don't see anywhere that sells them so now I'm looking for a better grinder.

We have a Breville smart grinder pro at work, it seems really nice but maybe overkill. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground between $25 junk and "entry level" good ones that are $200.

I always recommend the Cuisinart DBM-8 for any kind of situation like this. It's a burr grinder, it's affordable and is great for any kind of brewed process IMO, as long as you aren't doing espresso or finer. I have it just a couple of notches towards finer from the middle setting for Aeropress used at my work nearly every weekday, and it's never let me down. Somewhere around the middle or a new notches coarser from there would be perfect for a brew machine like yours.

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
I always recommend the Cuisinart DBM-8 for any kind of situation like this. It's a burr grinder, it's affordable and is great for any kind of brewed process IMO, as long as you aren't doing espresso or finer. I have it just a couple of notches towards finer from the middle setting for Aeropress used at my work nearly every weekday, and it's never let me down. Somewhere around the middle or a new notches coarser from there would be perfect for a brew machine like yours.

I was actually looking at the cbm-18, the 8 looks really similar to my mr coffee. The main problem with that one being it produces way too much fine dust along with your grind. It's ok with a paper filter but I've really been liking using the metal one to get the oils. At least with my good locally roasted beans... when used with some target brand rancid junk I had to go back to paper.

I've also read good things about the Baratza and capressa. I just don't like the way they look... kind of silly and it's probably better they invested more r&d into coffee grinding than industrial design... but if I have to look at something everyday I'd prefer it not to be ugly.

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
Been adding a teabag of peppermint in my coffee pot before brewing and its wonderful.

Try it if you want to elevate your coffee experience!

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was given this machine with a bunch of capsules for XMAS, been loving espresso in the morning. Some terrible flavours and some great ones. I'm surprised at the quality this thing pushes out TBH. Super easy, convenient and bugger all to clean up. Loving it really and I only drink 1 cup a day.

956742-Zoom.jpg

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Girlfriend got me an 8 cup chemex for Christmas. Can't wait, had some issues with size and had to return it. Got stumptown Sumatra to go with it.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's funny what even a minor change in the amount of grounds can make. Yesterday I think I used 2 precise tbsp and it ended up tasting like water. This morning I made sure the tbsp were more heaping and it was a galactic difference.

Oct 27, 2017
The starter espresso machine that I bought back in November broke the other night. I assume it was the result of water freezing inside the boiler during a period when I didn't use it for a few days? Water still runs through the machine and the 'ready' bulb is always on, but no hot water or steam.

Bummer. I can't go back to my Aeropress either. It doesn't taste nearly as good. I guess I'll pull the trigger on a more serious machine once the temperature raises a bit and I don't have to worry about it freezing in my kitchen over night...

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I've come to hate my grinder. It's an electric burr grinder and even when I have it set to the least fine setting, about 1/8 of the coffee comes out super fine. It's mixed in with the rest, so the coffee has a nice (see: gross) layer of sludge at the bottom. I use a metal filter, so I could switch to paper... But I would prefer a grinder that didn't sucks at its job.

Any suggestions under $100?
I don't want a manual grinder... But burr (not blade) is a must.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
ERA, should I splurge on an expensive espresso machine? I'm thinking of getting either the Breville Oracle Touch or the Breville Creatista (don't laugh, it's essentially the Oracle but with espresso pods).

I can easily afford either, but I'm not sure whether I want to give up the coffee shop lifestyle -- talking to baristas, enjoying a drink, etc.

(I also have two manual espresso machines that I never use anymore, because I got tired of making my own drinks with subpar machines.)

Seriously late reply, lol, wonder if you ended up getting one. I have the Breville Barista. It's awesome. I love having that pressure gauge there to aid me in getting down the settings for each new brand/roast I try. Really changes everything you know about coffee when the slightest change in either volume, grind, roast, staleness move your espresso from ideal pressure to watery acid filth. Side note, don't use Starbucks French roast coffee in espresso. It's just fucked. Too oily I think.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I've come to hate my grinder. It's an electric burr grinder and even when I have it set to the least fine setting, about 1/8 of the coffee comes out super fine. It's mixed in with the rest, so the coffee has a nice (see: gross) layer of sludge at the bottom. I use a metal filter, so I could switch to paper... But I would prefer a grinder that didn't sucks at its job.

Baratza Encore is what I use, and it's great. Although it's $139 brand new on Amazon, Baratza sometimes offers refurbished models in their website for close to $100.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
Currently enjoying Trailhead Coffee's Sumatra roast that I picked up in Portland back in October!

Also just ordered a 40oz growler to bring into work with me every week filled with homemade cold brew so I'm not spending ~$4 every day on an afternoon pick-me-up.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously late reply, lol, wonder if you ended up getting one. I have the Breville Barista. It's awesome. I love having that pressure gauge there to aid me in getting down the settings for each new brand/roast I try. Really changes everything you know about coffee when the slightest change in either volume, grind, roast, staleness move your espresso from ideal pressure to watery acid filth. Side note, don't use Starbucks French roast coffee in espresso. It's just fucked. Too oily I think.

I ended up getting the Creatista last week! It was on sale for a ridiculously low price, so I had to get it.

I don't regret it one bit. It's literally a one-button milk frother that can rival some local coffee shops. The espresso is something to be desired, but I think it's because I chose the lighter aromatic pods than the darker ones. I can always get a reusable pod filter if I want to imagine myself having an Oracle, haha.

Speaking of espresso, is there a good sweetened almond milk out there that isn't 7g of sugar per serving? Only Starbucks has a blend I actually like -- 3g per serving.

Nord501

Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
I usually drink 1 cup of regular coffee and 3 or 4 cups of decaf throughout the day. I tend to put either milk or half and half with 3 sugars.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got a french press and coffee grinder, looking forward to trying it for the first time tonight.

Deleted member 13506

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
For the last few months I've been getting Guatemalan beans super fresh from a local roaster, and it's literally reset what I thought was good/desirable in a cup of coffee. So clean and sweet, and the smell when grinding and brewing is unreal. I'll likely never spend the money on Blue Mountain or Kona again.

Big fan of Colombian and Nicaraguan too - both are unique experiences.

Coffee is great.

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
For the last few months I've been getting Guatemalan beans super fresh from a local roaster, and it's literally reset what I thought was good/desirable in a cup of coffee. So clean and sweet, and the smell when grinding and brewing is unreal. I'll likely never spend the money on Blue Mountain or Kona again.

Big fan of Colombian and Nicaraguan too - both are unique experiences.

Coffee is great.
I was having a hard time there where I was getting lazy after having my second kid, but we are back on it in the mornings. Grinding fresh and loving it. It helps that I dampened the base of my grinder so that it doesn't wake the whole house.

Deleted member 13506

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I was having a hard time there where I was getting lazy after having my second kid, but we are back on it in the mornings. Grinding fresh and loving it. It helps that I dampened the base of my grinder so that it doesn't wake the whole house.

I use a Lido 2 hand-grinder. It's a great grinder with a high quality burr, and it's obviously far less noisy than electric grinders. Grinding 50g of coffee beans gets the blood flowing first thing in the morning. Follow that up with an ice cold glass of water, and then a nice bright cup of coffee, and I'm awake.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've been doing coffee wrong for years.

Just got a brita filter to deal with the super hard water we get here. It's made my coffee taste totally different. Biggest difference since I first started grinding my own coffee 3 years ago.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Thanks to my fiancee I went from absolutely hating coffee to actually loving it! I've tried a lot of different variations and I have to say my favorite one at this moment is the Japanese flash brew.

She recently got a Nespresso which I actually dig. We just tried a sparkling espresso recipe which we found online and it was yummy.

52club

Oct 27, 2017

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QTVXCS/ref=twister_B001GCTT6M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I got this a while back after my old burrer broke, I think this is a good value.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw that this thread existed! I'm mostly an espresso kind of guy. Don't drink coffee everyday but I like to save it for when I want to enjoy the flavor.

Oct 27, 2017
I just received $500 in USD that it would be a hassle to transfer into yen, so I used that money to order a Breville Barista Express off eBay. The only color they still had in stock at that price was cranberry red, which is exactly the one I wanted. It hasn't left the states yet, but I love how the thing looks so here's a Google Image:

I have hardly made coffee since my cheap, starter espresso machine broke a month ago. I simply can't enjoy the coffee I was making out of an Aeropress anymore.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just received $500 in USD that it would be a hassle to transfer into yen, so I used that money to order a Breville Barista Express off eBay. The only color they still had in stock at that price was cranberry red, which is exactly the one I wanted. It hasn't left the states yet, but I love how the thing looks so here's a Google Image:

I have that in the regular stainless color. SOOOO good.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know fuck all about coffee need some advice on buying a maker. My girlfriend stays at my place on the weekends and drinks a cup each morning so I'd like to get an actual maker to replace the Starbucks instant packets she's been using. What's a good 1 cup maker? I've heard of Keurigs, are they actually any good or a bit overblown?

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know fuck all about coffee need some advice on buying a maker. My girlfriend stays at my place on the weekends and drinks a cup each morning so I'd like to get an actual maker to replace the Starbucks instant packets she's been using. What's a good 1 cup maker? I've heard of Keurigs, are they actually any good or a bit overblown?
They're fine for what you want to do, I suspect. Super convenient. Expensive and not as great tasting but if you only use it on the weekends, no big deal. Easily the most convenient option.

alzabo

Dec 31, 2017
At a dive-ner and I still think these places have the best coffee. Maybe it's the little white cups.

Deleted member 26394

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
https://coffee-brewing-methods.com/what-is-the-best-single-cup-coffee-maker/
Seems to recommend "Hamilton Beach Single Serve Scoop Coffee Maker" which does the same as a Keurig, but with actual coffee and for less money. (Also looks to have a smaller footprint.)

Deleted member 17630

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had my first cold brew nitro from Starbucks the other day. I thought I was going to pass out about 4 hours later and was tossing and turning until 4am trying to go to sleep. I'll stick to black coffee from here on out.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Had my first cold brew nitro from Starbucks the other day. I thought I was going to pass out about 4 hours later and was tossing and turning until 4am trying to go to sleep. I'll stick to black coffee from here on out.

Yeah I think it tastes quite good, but it's basically one of the only coffees that legitimately gives me the shakes after drinking it. Definitely too strong for my afternoon coffee.

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I have had this grinder for 5 years, and have used it every single day I am at home. Not a single issue. Tremendous value. I use it both for pour over as well as auto drip. Never a problem with grind consistency.
This was my previous grinder and I loved it for the two years I had it. The only issue I had, was that at one point it stopped adjusting the grinds when I was moving from course to fine. It basically stayed a medium at all times. I tried cleaning, disassembling, etc. So I just returned it and used the money to buy this Breville model.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Just bought a really good coffee maker, and I've always bought coffee beans and ground them at Whole Foods. But now I wanna buy a burr coffee grinder, was just wondering if anyone uses any automated grinders and if there are any recommendations.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have a Hario V60 and use a reuseable filter with it? I went through my supply of paper filters and was considering a resueable option. A quick Amazon search reveals that there are metal ones, but quite a few reviews complained about clogging issues after a while. Any recommendations, or should I stick with paper?

Deleted member 13506

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Decided I wanted another manual brewing option to compliment the other 10, so I picked up an "Ace Brewer" at a local roaster. I was curious about their brewing methods, as this is how they were making delicious cups of coffee for customers.

The Ace Brewer is essentially a cotton filter for immersion brewing. I hand grind 10 grams of coffee (using a Lido 2), steep the coffee for 2.5 - 3 minutes in 97°C water, then pour through the filter into the mug (you can scale up to make more at once). Finally I just quickly rinse the grinds out of the filter and leave it on the counter to dry. Very easy considering the quality, in my opinion. The cotton filter may be tough for some to wrap their head around (roasted coffee is antimicrobial; pour some boiling water through it), but I'm wondering if it's part of the magic. No wasting filters and no more paper taste (despite rinsing every possible way lol). This method is now my current favorite brewing method of any.

The Ace Brewer and further info is available here: https://acebrewer.org/ I'm not affliated in any way with this company, or the roaster. Just a connoisseur looking for clean, uniform cups of coffee passing on a suggestion.

I guess I might as well forget about getting the metallic Able Brewing "Kone" filter - can't imagine it would be much contest vs. the Ace.

Oct 26, 2017
I recently quit coffee because I would get huge caffeine headaches on weekend (since I drank no coffee on weekends). After months of cold turkey, I'd like to find a way to get back into it. Is there any decaf out there worth a damn that someone could recommend?

Last edited:

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
how long did it take when you went cold turkey for the headaches to stop?

Oct 26, 2017
how long did it take when you went cold turkey for the headaches to stop?
I had really bad headaches for about 3-4 days, then no more. On weekends, it was bad enough at times I would want to just lie down and do nothing all day. I normally drank 4-5 cups a day at work, if that matters. I aim to cut that back also to 2 at max.

I never really get headaches normally, so I took a wild guess when they were increasing as to why. Sure enough when I cut off the coffee, they stopped too.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I know the feeling lol. I'm a slave to coffee. I buy cans of it if I'm traveling and don't know if I'll be near a coffee shop. I've had that headache before and whew that ruins a whole day. 3-4 days sounds not bad. I wonder if it comes back if you pick it up again.

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just stop drinking coffee for a few days and resume again. Prevents headaches since I have no addiction.

Does anyone order from Christopher Bean Coffee? I usually do. I have a $5 off coupon that expires in a couple of days but I have no need for more coffee right now. Does anyone want it? All I ask is keep the love going in this thread. Also, I will try another coffee producer for my next order. Any other online places recommended?

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I just stop drinking coffee for a few days and resume again. Prevents headaches since I have no addiction.

Does anyone order from Christopher Bean Coffee? I usually do. I have a $5 off coupon that expires in a couple of days but I have no need for more coffee right now. Does anyone want it? All I ask is keep the love going in this thread. Also, I will try another coffee producer for my next order. Any other online places recommended?

I've been ordering occasionally from La Colombe. They tend to do free shipping at $30 and when they do but 3 12oz bags for $30 it works out nicely. I recommend their medium and light roasts.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recently quit coffee because I would get huge caffeine headaches on weekend (since I drank no coffee on weekends). After months of cold turkey, I'd like to find a way to get back into it. Is there any decaf out there worth a damn that someone could recommend?
There's a decent number out there, but not many because most coffee lovers never touch them. "Death before decaf" and all that nonsense.

Generally, I would say look around and keep an eye out for anything labelled "Water", "Swiss Water" or "Swiss Process" decaf. Check out local roasters, many often have one or two around.

I've also had the one decaf that Pact Coffee do. They use a Carbon Dioxide process and the resulting coffee is alright. At least, it's good enough for me to still enjoy drinking it.