• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PerilousInJ

Oct 25, 2017

I've been trying this 4:6 recipe made famous by World Brewers Cup 2016 winner Tetsu Kasuya over the past few days with quite good results. I like my coffee 'Norwegian' for a lack of better words, some may call it tea-like or even weak but I just appreciate sweet and acidic tones and cleanness, so I use a light roast Ethiopian or Kenyan coffee and only 300 grams of (really) coarse ground coffee instead of 320.

I'm going to give this a shot when I get home. One thing, does every subsequent pour happen once the water from the previous pour has completely drained? I'm so used to using time as a metric as opposed to water level.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm going to give this a shot when I get home. One thing, does every subsequent pour happen once the water from the previous pour has completely drained? I'm so used to using time as a metric as opposed to water level.
Basically I use 18 to 20 mg of coffee and 300 ml of water, and I do five pours of 60 ml water with 45 second intervals (and no blooming in advance). The coarseness of the coffee should be such that each pour of 60 ml drains in almost exactly 45 seconds.

PerilousInJ

Oct 25, 2017
Basically I use 18 to 20 mg of coffee and 300 ml of water, and I do five pours of 60 ml water with 45 second intervals (and no blooming in advance). The coarseness of the coffee should be such that each pour of 60 ml drains in almost exactly 45 seconds.

Thanks, it's going to be so counterintuitive for me to use such a coarse grind for a pour over but I'm excited for something new. I have a terrible time trying to pick out flavor notes so maybe this will unlock the secret for me.

Deleted member 134

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the same blender they use for all of their mixed drinks/frappuccinos, but they use a different pitcher with a specific blade in it (I think they also add some syrup?). I will see if I can snap a picture of one later. You could probably replicate it with a good blender.
That would be awesome. I'd be interested to hear if anyone can replicate it at home without any particularly specialized equipment.

Dorothy Gale

Alt-Account
May 25, 2018
I got a Baratza Virtuoso, Aeropress, Bonavita Temperature Gooseneck Kettle, and some beans that were roasted yesterday.

I haven't used them yet. Tips on making a good cup?

Beans are from Ethiopia, Sidamo. Medium Roast.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I got a Baratza Virtuoso, Aeropress, Bonavita Temperature Gooseneck Kettle, and some beans that were roasted yesterday.

I haven't used them yet. Tips on making a good cup?

Beans are from Ethiopia, Sidamo. Medium Roast.

I recommend the inverted method, just because it ensures you don't lose any water during the brewing process. You have to be careful to hold it as you flip it around to press the coffee through into your cup, but just do it quickly and grip firmly, and you'll be fine. Check out some Youtube videos as well if you wish, but you've got all the gear!

Dorothy Gale

Alt-Account
May 25, 2018
I recommend the inverted method, just because it ensures you don't lose any water during the brewing process. You have to be careful to hold it as you flip it around to press the coffee through into your cup, but just do it quickly and grip firmly, and you'll be fine. Check out some Youtube videos as well if you wish, but you've got all the gear!

I may have the gear, but I'm afraid that my Virtuoso has been producing grinds too inconsistently coarse.

I'm not sure how much beans or water to use for Aeropress.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I may have the gear, but I'm afraid that my Virtuoso has been producing grinds too inconsistently coarse.

That guide I linked has suggestions for both. 7oz/200g of water, 15-18g of coffee. Can't help you about your grinder if it's not working correctly, but on a cursory google, people seem to be suggesting somewhere between a 17 and 12 setting on a Virtuoso for Aeropress. The only thing that matters in the end is the taste, just go for it.

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017

The Virtuoso is really consistent in my experience. Maybe it's defective? Have you tried cleaning it out?

Also, as the poster above me said. Just go for it and see how it tastes.

Dorothy Gale

Alt-Account
May 25, 2018
The Virtuoso is really consistent in my experience. Maybe it's defective? Have you tried cleaning it out?

Also, as the poster above me said. Just go for it and see how it tastes.

I put stuff apart, then put it together again and it grinds much better now!

I am so happy. I got the Virtuoso for $110 and for a moment there, I thought I got a broken model.

Anyone got Aeropress tips?

Water temp, time, amount of beans, fine level on beans?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So an update on that goofy coffee thread I made a while back if anyone remembers:

I was gifted a French Press. Pretty nifty. The only downside is that my closest grocery store somehow does not have their own local beans + grinder, so I'm stuck with a limited range of brands that I don't super care for (I've found that I enjoy lighter stuff.)

I find black coffee, piping hot to be decently pleasant, though sometimes I do still have to have a small sweet treat with it, like a cereal bar, or fig snacks, etc. About halfway through the press (pot?) I start to get a little sick of it though, and have to add just a smidge of milk. But I don't add any sugar.

I still love me bottled and canned coffees, like UCC or a Starbucks Frappe every now and then, but only as a treat.

I don't really "depend" on it though, and as such I don't drink it daily. Hell, I might even go a week without it, so I make sure to purchase as small a quantity of it as I can, so I'm always drinking as fresh as possible. (I guess this is a thing, but I didn't previously know that.)
I don't think I've ever craved it so far, though. Definitely, Coffee looks more tantalizing and appealing in media like movies, games, and such than it does in real life.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i suffer from Chronic Gastritis, and still cannot go a day without my coffee, i rather take the pain than not to have the damn coffee lol, crazy enough after having tried lots of places for some reason i love the dunkin donuts hot latte, every other coffee they have i dont like but that one is soo good.

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
So an update on that goofy coffee thread I made a while back if anyone remembers:

I was gifted a French Press. Pretty nifty. The only downside is that my closest grocery store somehow does not have their own local beans + grinder, so I'm stuck with a limited range of brands that I don't super care for (I've found that I enjoy lighter stuff.)

I find black coffee, piping hot to be decently pleasant, though sometimes I do still have to have a small sweet treat with it, like a cereal bar, or fig snacks, etc. About halfway through the press (pot?) I start to get a little sick of it though, and have to add just a smidge of milk. But I don't add any sugar.

I still love me bottled and canned coffees, like UCC or a Starbucks Frappe every now and then, but only as a treat.

I don't really "depend" on it though, and as such I don't drink it daily. Hell, I might even go a week without it, so I make sure to purchase as small a quantity of it as I can, so I'm always drinking as fresh as possible. (I guess this is a thing, but I didn't previously know that.)
I don't think I've ever craved it so far, though. Definitely, Coffee looks more tantalizing and appealing in media like movies, games, and such than it does in real life.
Any local roasters around that can sell you pre ground coffee?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
That guide I linked has suggestions for both. 7oz/200g of water, 15-18g of coffee. Can't help you about your grinder if it's not working correctly, but on a cursory google, people seem to be suggesting somewhere between a 17 and 12 setting on a Virtuoso for Aeropress. The only thing that matters in the end is the taste, just go for it.

I just discovered that we had an AeroPress in our camping gear and started using it. I have my grind set on 8 though - it looks like cocoa powder. It tastes great but now I'm wondering if I should set it coarser.
I usually use a French press, but I think I like the Aero better.

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I just discovered that we had an AeroPress in our camping gear and started using it. I have my grind set on 8 though - it looks like cocoa powder. It tastes great but now I'm wondering if I should set it coarser.
I usually use a French press, but I think I like the Aero better.
If you are that fine, I would go coarser. But I like a less extracted coffee from the aeropress.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
i suffer from Chronic Gastritis, and still cannot go a day without my coffee, i rather take the pain than not to have the damn coffee lol, crazy enough after having tried lots of places for some reason i love the dunkin donuts hot latte, every other coffee they have i dont like but that one is soo good.
Maybe changing your equipment might improve your experience?

I don't suffer from anything in particular, but for some reason my bialetti six cup always produced cups of coffee that would result in cramping, insane jitters and unpleasant times in the bathroom. I tried everything to get a different outcome, but it was just an unpleasant experience for months on end (lavazza qualita rossa was tastier and easier on my stomach, though). My percolator on the other hand has produced none of those symptoms. I can go through forty tasty ounces and more in a single day without any jitters, headaches or cramping whatsoever. Haven't even had a chance to try it with milk since I can drink it straight black without any sugar or milk. That was a happy first for me.

Note to self: Buy a brick of qualita rossa for the percolator. Might turn out amazing.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
for pour over, some people swear by using a larger filter (#4), but others suggest (and it makes sense to me) to use a correct sized filter (#2).

what say you ERA. For a V60, #2 or #4?

Also a moment of silence for my favorite coffee disappearing. My local changed their Colombia plantation.... The old plantation was my all time favorite roast ever. Super sweet (coffee sweet, not literally) and bright, light and wonderful. New plantation source is pretty flat and more earthy.. I am devastated. :(

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
for pour over, some people swear by using a larger filter (#4), but others suggest (and it makes sense to me) to use a correct sized filter (#2).

what say you ERA. For a V60, #2 or #4?

Also a moment of silence for my favorite coffee disappearing. My local changed their Colombia plantation.... The old plantation was my all time favorite roast ever. Super sweet (coffee sweet, not literally) and bright, light and wonderful. New plantation source is pretty flat and more earthy.. I am devastated. :(

For a v60 I say use the #2. I've used both because I have both in my house and ran out of #2 (For a larger melitta pour over I use the #6) and have not noticed any difference. So I would just go for the one that actually fits. I mean, besides it absorbing more water, I don't see why there would be a difference. Is it a visual thing? people want their v60 to look like a chemex with he flared out paper?

Also, I know that feeling. My local roaster said they are getting rid of one of their single origin from Nicaragua and it's soooo good.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for some cold brew advice: I've been making cold brew for a good while at home (first with a Toddy, then the top portion broke so I've been making it the same way/proportions just on my own with containers), but it quite frankly pretty much always comes out pretty middling, and usually tastes about the same no matter what beans/brand it is. I love coffee, but I keep winding up buying bottles of iced coffee/cold brew at the store because I'm not having luck making it myself.

I've been doing the Toddy method for a full pound of coffee (9 cups of water to 16oz of coffee) for a concentrate. Our tap water at home is not great so I usually make it with some purified or drinking water, maybe that's the problem? I'm grinding for a french press, both on my own and buying it that way (like I just bought a pound of coarse grind Stone Street for $15 and it came out the same way again which is what prompted me to finally post), and I've tried a variety of brands and roasts, all medium or dark. I've also tried doing the brew for anywhere from 12-24 hours, there seems to be a variety of opinions on time, but I haven't noticed much difference.

Is there maybe a very specific water filter I should get? Should I break off from making it as a concentrate and just making it as I would drink it? I've been trying to do this off and on for years with no success and I'm wasting all kinds of money trying to get it right and failing. Any advice? :(

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a machine that does what the AeroPress can do? It makes great coffee, but I'd rather have something easier.

Oct 27, 2017
If I want to fill about 3/4 of my 16 oz travel mug (so 12 oz); what's the best way to do so with an Aeropress? I have a Baratza Encore, a kitchen scale and good beans from a local place.

I also have a Kalita Wave dripper, but wondering if I can get similar volume faster via Aeropress.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
New conbini addition. Pretty good.

Di6Ilh2UUAI7LIv.jpg

Deleted member 19739

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I caved in and got the Breville Barista Touch! I got an awesome deal on it. (almost half price)

bes880xl_3_800x_800x_faa25f57-1efe-4d63-b625-4eaa818931f4_800x.jpg

What do you guys recommend for a coffee bar? I just got some Willoughby's coffee from a local store. I also ordered some Torani syrups. I am planning on getting a mini Breville knock box. What else do you guys suggest? Any coffee beans recommendations?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
My grinder has been broken for a bit but I finally figured out what's wrong and ordered the required parts. Baratza support has been great.

(Though I wouldn't have minded upgrading to a sette 270 either...)

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Any coffee beans recommendations?

Ideally a local roaster or, failing that, an online roaster that can mail the beans to you. You want the freshest possible. I assuming you're in the US, so hopefully someone can recommend a good US online supplier, as my recommendations are all UK-based. When it comes to types of beans, generally a blend created for espresso by said roaster is the best place to start, and you can branch out from there into single origin based on your preferred tastes.

Deleted member 19739

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ideally a local roaster or, failing that, an online roaster that can mail the beans to you. You want the freshest possible. I assuming you're in the US, so hopefully someone can recommend a good US online supplier, as my recommendations are all UK-based. When it comes to types of beans, generally a blend created for espresso by said roaster is the best place to start, and you can branch out from there into single origin based on your preferred tastes.

Yeah, I have been using locally roasted coffee. It has been good so far.

I just noticed today that there are small amounts of coffee grounds in my espresso. am I grinding them too fine? Is this normal to see some grounds seep through the portafiler?

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
So I have a desire for a coffee maker that is compact, grinds beans at time of preparation, does single cup of coffee that doesn't use pods, and is easy to clean. Does it exist? :)

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Sure, if you are willing to pay a bit.

https://www.wholelattelove.com/jura-ena-micro-1

https://www.wholelattelove.com/jura-impressa-c60

(These would be their least expensive models...)

Thanks... Interestingly I did check out the Jura micro prior to your response and it checks off most of the boxes but the depth is a more than I would have hoped for but I'm not ruling it out yet. For reference I'm coming from this https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/order/machines/original/lattissima-plus-ice-silver This unit has dimensions of WxDxH 6.5"x12.6"x13.5"

Open to more suggestions! :)

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks... Interestingly I did check out the Jura micro prior to your response and it checks off most of the boxes but the depth is a more than I would have hoped for but I'm not ruling it out yet. For reference I'm coming from this https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/order/machines/original/lattissima-plus-ice-silver This unit has dimensions of WxDxH 6.5"x12.6"x13.5"

Open to more suggestions! :)

If you want a good built in Grinder, I don't think you will find too many options with a smaller depth. There are some Gaggia automatics that have a slightly smaller form-factor but I don't know how well they perform, I haven't looked into that.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
If you want a good built in Grinder, I don't think you will find too many options with a smaller depth. There are some Gaggia automatics that have a slightly smaller form-factor but I don't know how well they perform, I haven't looked into that.

Cool I'll look at those. It's very likely I have unrealistic requirements, I may need to reset my expectations.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, I have been using locally roasted coffee. It has been good so far.

I just noticed today that there are small amounts of coffee grounds in my espresso. am I grinding them too fine? Is this normal to see some grounds seep through the portafiler?

I'm more of a pourover guy, so I'm not sure what the cause is going to be, but no, not really... maybe try a little coarser. Also check that the coffee puck isn't touching the shower head when you're pulling a shot, that should be mostly clean when you pull it away, that might have an effect?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
YsFaEJz.png

So my grinder's adjustment ring broke - ordered the parts and fixed it. Baratza support was great!

Then had shower screen problems on my Gaggia - the center screw was stripped. Had to drill and get it out.

$6 for the screw...

iVljOvV.png

Now my pump has started leaking. Not sure if it is a pump problem or pipe connection problem. $5 for a 5mm o-ring if that is the problematic part...

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been buying good quality coffee for years but only in the last few weeks did I start making pour over.

Good god I feel like I've wasted pounds and pounds of great coffee over the years. These cups have just been so clean and delicious. Finally able to make the kinda stuff at home I would not balk at paying like 4 bucks for at some bullshit cafe.... haha

I really didn't expect it to be such an improvement over my Bonavita machine, given that it pretty much does the same thing (puts hot water on grounds in a paper filter) but the difference is enormous.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been buying good quality coffee for years but only in the last few weeks did I start making pour over.

Good god I feel like I've wasted pounds and pounds of great coffee over the years. These cups have just been so clean and delicious. Finally able to make the kinda stuff at home I would not balk at paying like 4 bucks for at some bullshit cafe.... haha

I really didn't expect it to be such an improvement over my Bonavita machine, given that it pretty much does the same thing (puts hot water on grounds in a paper filter) but the difference is enormous.
Are you using a Chemex? I've debated about getting a pour over for a while. I already have three types of coffee makers at home though. Standard, Keurig (lol) and an AeroPress. I find the AeroPress usually makes my favourite cup of coffee, but I've heard a ton of good things about pour over coffee.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you using a Chemex? I've debated about getting a pour over for a while. I already have three types of coffee makers at home though. Standard, Keurig (lol) and an AeroPress. I find the AeroPress usually makes my favourite cup of coffee, but I've heard a ton of good things about pour over coffee.

No I honestly just did a jury rigged pour over with my basket and filter from the Bonavita straight into the mug (lol). It worked fine but I've since gotten a ceramic Hario V60. Never used Chemex but I've had it and it's great coffee. But the filters are really expensive!

Depending on what drip machine you have you could probably try pour over by just using the machine's basket and filter and then pre-soaking the filter by running a little boiling water through it. I think the actual device is less important than using fresh ground coffee and blooming it with fresh hot water.

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a recommendation for an electric gooseneck kettle? I had a bonavita one, but honestly it seemed like kind of a piece of shit. The bottom started to rust pretty much immediately, and after 2 years of use the spout actually just fell off (spilling boiling water everywhere).

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have a recommendation for an electric gooseneck kettle? I had a bonavita one, but honestly it seemed like kind of a piece of shit. The bottom started to rust pretty much immediately, and after 2 years of use the spout actually just fell off (spilling boiling water everywhere).

I've been using a Fellow EKG since June and I won't be going back to another brand of electric kettle anytime soon, it's just that good. A bit pricey I know, but it's really worth it if you are really dialed in on your brewing temperature needs. It heats up a bit slow on a cold morning, but I find it cranks up the heat and keeps it dialed in so you can set it up and come back to it.

I'd like to ask for some suggestions of "wet" variety beans? This new Trader Joe's honey processed has me convinced I only like the "wet" beans. I've been using the Barefoot brand lately as it's one of my favorite and most consistent third waves around. Andytown is a strong second, but they don't really offer much variety and they aren't conveniently available.

Anyone been to any of the Hawaiian coffee plantations? Me and the missus are thinking about going on a trip there and I'd love to hear about anyone's experience and if they thought it was worth the time to check out.

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
Just recently got into coffee bean subscriptions. Damn, don't think I can go back to Costco beans. Despite not typically liking light roast, I love Countrt Culture's roast "Fast Forward". What are some other good subscriptions out there? Trying some of my local ones as well.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, whenever I add cream to my coffee these days, it comes out super curdled. The cream isn't expired and I've tried it with another new batch from the store but same thing.

I've tried waiting until the coffee cools a little before adding cream and nothing. Any ideas?

OP
OP
skeptem

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, whenever I add cream to my coffee these days, it comes out super curdled. The cream isn't expired and I've tried it with another new batch from the store but same thing.

I've tried waiting until the coffee cools a little before adding cream and nothing. Any ideas?

Temperance differences and acidity of coffee can have this effect. I would recommend trying to add it to cooler coffee or warming up the cream first. If that doesn't work, it might be that the coffee is too acidic so maybe switching to a different roast would help.