• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
People saying he got off lightly need to remember that it's not like he walks out of prison in 3 years time and his life is back to normal. His name is forever tarnished and no one worth their salt will hire his ass.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad he only got 3 years because it must mean he rolled over and gave prosecutors everything they wanted. Orange man sweating bullets right now.

Lock. Him. Up.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Except I'm not doing that at all. People are clearing appealing to a punative system of justice. THey aren't remarking on it's existance, they are supporting the normative judgement that it's the right way to do things.

I don't know how you can't see that.
In a punitive system, crimes should ideally be punished relative to the amount of harm they do. That is what is being posed here, and it's a separate argument from whether or not a punitive or rehabilitative system is better for society.

I'm aware of all this. It's a problem with institutional racism, and is in no way shape or form an argument for making a punitive justice system. It's a call to reform what's broken, not make more things broken
Giving Michael Cohen three years isn't reforming anything.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently there was a tweet from 11:30am EST saying TRUMPO hadn't even started work yet and was locked in his room watching tv

lol

make the tweets you fat idiot

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
In a punitive system, crimes should ideally be punished relative to the amount of harm they do. That is what is being posed here, and it's a separate argument from whether or not a punitive or rehabilitative system is better for society.

Except people aren't making abstract observations on the nature of a punitive system. They are repeating and reinforcing the norms behind it in their comments which, let's be honest, aren't analytically doing too much else. It's pretty much the only content in a lot of posts.

And it's that normative assertion that I've taken issue with here, and myriad other times on this site and on GAF.

Giving Michael Cohen three years isn't reforming anything.

I'm not saying I'm reforming anything here or that this sentence is either. In fact I'm really not sure where you're getting that idea from. What I was doing was pointing out that isn't related to what I'm taking issue with here and with the community on this site more broadly. Which is a strong attachment OT emotional, kneejerk, and punitive approaches to justice.

You can, and should, be upset that the system isn't far. But that's something else entirely than what people understand to be the basis of justice, eye for an eye vs utilitarian seeking of the public good.

In reality the justice system has elements of both and the amount either way has changed greatly over time, ironically positivism in the early 20th century made the justice system swing towards utilitarian and rehabilitation and away from putative approaches.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
There is a very real possibility that Trump will go to jail in 2021. Even if he pulls a last minute pardon switcheroo with Pence, the SDNY could still prosecute Trump.

Oct 25, 2017
The president has worked almost exclusively with criminals, but we're supposed to believe his hands are clean? Even then he'd have to be the most incompetent businessperson/politician of all time for that to be true. There's a good reason why Trump has worked so hard to make the gullible disbelieve what they see with their own eyes.

The United states elected a full on criminal to the highest office of the land and it was so obvious.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Co-operate to implicate who?

You guys need to understand that cooperation is a means to indicting a 'bigger fish'/network. Trump sits at the top of the US side of the investigation. There's nothing he can 'cooperate' with that will reduce much of anything.
Yeah the only person bigger then trump would be the actual puppet masters

But the us legal system cant do much about putin

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Thought this was interesting because of the timing, never seen it posted before.

Last edited:

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
The president has worked almost exclusively with criminals, but we're supposed to believe his hands are clean? Even then he'd have to be the most incompetent businessperson/politician of all time for that to be true. There's a good reason why Trump has worked so hard to make the gullible disbelieve what they see with their own eyes.

The United states elected a full on criminal to the highest office of the land and it was so obvious.

Yeah, hard to disagree with this. But the real issue is, this says a lot about the millions of Americans that are still in support. If he didn't have millions of people backing him, he'd just be a loud guy on social media. I don't know how you go about "fixing America" with that underlying issue, but if it doesn't change, more Trumps will come along in the future, and the Electoral College will keep letting them get voted in.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expect him to get months lopped off of that when he testifies for the prosecution in Trump's treason trial.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
3 years is nothing when you consider hell probably be out sooner if he behaves good. 2 years max.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, he could. But Cohen said he wouldn't accept even if he did. And it's unlikely Trump would after what's happened with Cohen.

If I'm not mistaken, if you are pardoned, you no longer can assert 5th amendment privileges and can be compelled to testify about all things related to the crime, opening yourself up to more legal troubles. So, it's not quite the quick-fix that it might seem at first.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Never forget

07929bec5328642588053eb0e53032d1.png

No memes or tricks, just a good 'ol fashioned Jordan laugh reaction when I read this.

haGYCQw.gif

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I spent 1 night in COUNTY JAIL and it was the worst experience of my life. I know 3 years seems light, but it's still going to be a goddamn nightmare for him for three years in federal prison.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Recently the president tweeted a statement calling me weak and it was correct but for a much different reason than he was implying. It was because time and time again i felt it was my duty to cover up his dirty deeds
Oh damn, firing them shots

Oct 25, 2017
I spent 1 night in COUNTY JAIL and it was the worst experience of my life. I know 3 years seems light, but it's still going to be a goddamn nightmare for him for three years in federal prison.

Same. I was in a cell next to a dude tweaking out. He kept screaming and rubbing his piss and shit all over the walls. I saw at least two people carried away by guards for fighting. Just one day in county in a smallish area.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
As happy as I am he's saying that, Cohen is a slimy fuck so I'll have to wait for the special council to make further moves or see exactly what they have corroborating it.

I won't accept Trump is fucked until Jr., Kush, or Ivanka goes down, but it's getting closer for sure.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
As happy as I am he's saying that, Cohen is a slimy fuck so I'll have to wait for the special council to make further moves or see exactly what they have corroborating it.

I won't accept Trump is fucked until Jr., Kush, or Ivanka goes down, but it's getting closer for sure.
Is Junior still up here in Canada?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Michael Cohen said:
Recently the president tweeted a statement calling me weak and it was correct but for a much different reason than he was implying. It was because time and time again i felt it was my duty to cover up his dirty deeds.

Well, wow. That's quite the accusation.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised this is only 4 pages. I mean this is all pretty fucked up.

We have just been bludgeoned by all the stupid shit around Trump. It's like "ok yeah, but what's next?" Is the dude ever going to be held accountable for anything.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Surprised this is only 4 pages. I mean this is all pretty fucked up.

We have just been bludgeoned by all the stupid shit around Trump. It's like "ok yeah, but what's next?" Is the dude ever going to be held accountable for anything.
It would be some bullshit if he is just able to get away with all of this. Shit is probably going to get crazy starting this January.