• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Bloomberg

fKCiEZq.jpg

Coca-Cola Co. is putting its Dasani water brand into aluminum cans as the beverage industry faces pressure to reduce its use of plastic.

Coke will start selling canned Dasani in the U.S. Northeast next month, with plans to expand the product to other parts of the country in 2020. The announcement comes after PepsiCo Inc. said recently it would experiment with selling Aquafina, its mainstream water brand, in cans at restaurants and stadiums.

Beverage giants are under pressure to boost recycling and cut down on plastic that's filling the world's oceans and waterways. Aluminum cans generally contain more recycled material than plastic bottles and are less likely to float away in the ocean. Dasani and Aquafina are the top two bottled brands in the U.S., with combined sales north of $2 billion.

Less plastic is good but a. these still have BPA lined interiors like all cans and b. unlike plastic bottles you can't really reuse these (well the normal can) 🤔. Just stop buying packaged water in most cases.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I've started seeing these and other companies variations at work. Interesting shift.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
You may not be able to reuse the can, but why couldn't you reuse the twist capped one? Plus you can still recycle cans.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Is aluminum cheaper than boxes? I've seen Boxed Water quite a bit and figured it was pretty environmentally friendly.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is aluminum cheaper than boxes? I've seen Boxed Water quite a bit and figured it was pretty environmentally friendly.
Are boxes really much better than plastic? It's probably a bit easier to recycle, but paper products still have a bunch of issues in this regard. As for aluminum, my impression has always been that it's far easier to recycle than either paper or plastic and you can generally recover the majority of the material

It's worth noting that unlike either paper or plastic, you can recycle aluminum (and many other types of metal for that matter) pretty much indefinitely with literally zero drop in quality, and it's also way more energy efficient than processing new aluminum

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Just filter your own fucking water and drink it from a reusable container. It is the least you can fucking do.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canned water sucks though. Dasani is already bottom tier water. Can't imagine how bad it will taste now.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
We have canned tea and coffee that comes in cans like that in Japan. I'd say they're over all quite good(drinking experience-wise).

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Just filter your own fucking water and drink it from a reusable container. It is the least you can fucking do.
Not every sink is the right design for a filter attachment. Mine sure as hell isn't. And if bottles with the built in filters were more pocketable (IE, roughly the size of the above aluminum bottle) I'd be all over them.

Only reason why I buy bottled water is for the portability of it. If I'm out for extended periods, I can take a sip and shove a regular bottle into my back pocket without any issue. Normal sized reusable bottles are far too large for that.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Not every sink is the right design for a filter attachment. Mine sure as hell isn't. And if bottles with the built in filters were more pocketable (IE, roughly the size of the above aluminum bottle) I'd be all over them.

Only reason why I buy bottled water is for the portability of it. If I'm out for extended periods, I can take a sip and shove a regular bottle into my back pocket without any issue. Normal sized reusable bottles are far too large for that.

Brita pitchers exist for a reason.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I'm so glad colorado tap is freaking good. I haven't bought water from a store in the three years I've owned a hydro flask.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I doubt many people who care about the environmental impact of plastic regularly buy bottled water, so I'm not sure who they're trying to appease.

These are always very expensive when I've seen them. Granted that's mostly been at Whole Foods, museums, and coffee shops, but I'm not sure whether it's expensive because those places mark it up or if those places carry it because it's a "premium" product.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Are cans really easier to recycle?

You can recycle aluminum pretty much infinitely with no loss of quality whatsoever (and doing so consumes 95% less energy than extracting aluminum from ore). Plastic on the other hand is way harder to recycle and has a noticable drop in quality whenever you do so that means that if you still have to add new plastic to the recycled plastic if you want it to be usable. This is because most plastic products are made using several kinds of plastic, and these plastics don't always mix well when melted down leading to a layered structure with less structural integrity

Paper products also have a similar issue to plastic, but for different reasons. With paper, the process of recycling it wears down the fibers and so the quality drops each time you recycle it, which means you either need to mix in new pulp to compensate or just accept that you're going to end up with a lower quality product each time you recycle

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
You shouldn't? Why not?
Single use plastic bottles in less than ideal condition may possibly leach contaminants into the content fluids. The biggest thing is if it's been exposed to heat though. It's probably not a major concern either way to be honest, but it's also probably not worth making a significant habit of when reusable bottles already exist for the express purpose of, you know, being reusable.

And because of that, realistically reuse should kind of be irrelevant to single use products anyway, because those reusable bottles exist anyway, and buying large amounts of single use plastics over single use aluminum because it's easier to reuse is kind of a silly notion. Like, you're either still regularly buying a 24 pack of plastic water, or you're not and you can just get a reusable.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
You can recycle aluminum pretty much infinitely with no loss of quality whatsoever (and doing so consumes 95% less energy than extracting aluminum from ore). Plastic on the other hand is way harder to recycle and has a noticable drop in quality whenever you do so that means that if you still have to add new plastic to the recycled plastic if you want it to be usable. This is because most plastic products are made using several kinds of plastic, and these plastics don't always mix well when melted down leading to a layered structure with less structural integrity
No, I know it's easier and better to recycle aluminium. What I asked if it's easier to recycle CANS that have that plastic layer.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Aluminum is toxic. And to stop the aluminum from leeching into the drink theyll put in a protective lining inside... which is also toxic.
Go glass or fill up a reusable water bottle.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
They should do glass bottles and recycle them like the do beer bottles in Germany where you get money back at the grocery store.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much anything from a can tastes weird to me, not sure if it's all mental or if there's something going on there. I imagine the former...

I don't hate on people for buying packaged water anymore, since I ran my tap water through a distiller and saw (well, smelled) the result. Good god almighty

Paper products also have a similar issue to plastic, but for different reasons. With paper, the process of recycling it wears down the fibers and so the quality drops each time you recycle it, which means you either need to mix in new pulp to compensate or just accept that you're going to end up with a lower quality product each time you recycle
Paper biodegrades though, people get too hung up on recycling where wood products are concerned. Cardboard in your trash will not doom the earth.

Paper >>> Aluminum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (turn page) >>>>>>>>> plastic

Last edited:

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense if you're traveling abroad to a place where the tap water isn't safe to drink, and no sense in literally every other conceivable situation
It's also good to have on hand for disaster prep (hurricane, earthquake, etc. prone areas) and some other shit, like, idk, airplane beverages and I'm not gonna complain if someone on a road trip buys a bottled water instead of a big gulp at 7-11, but yeah. My folks drink 100% 24oz bottled water at home despite having a reverse osmosis filtration system installed under the kitchen sink (which, afaict, is just used for the coffee maker) and I just can't with the amount of unnecessary plastic waste.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely better than plastic but aluminium still isn't ideal, out of all the commonly used metals aluminium requires about 10 times the energy and produces 10 times the Co2 to refine from ore per ton compared to something like steel. I don't know the energy cost for for recycling aluminium but if everyone switches from plastic to aluminium then there is still going to be an environmental cost. A better alternative is still needed.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We try to go 100% glass but it's a pita a lot of the times, especially since we don't have a car and use our bikes for shopping. Shit gets heavy fast.

For going about we use our own reusable plastic bottles.

Cola Cola already has nice glass bottles, just buy /sell these.

I 100% believe the German beer bottle system is the best solution, every bottle gets reused 10-20 times, until the bottle is just through with its life and then gets remelted. You pay 8cents for the bottle wich you get back at any store. Or you throw the bottle in special glass containers, where it goes straight to remelting (white glass, brown glass, green glass containers).

Last edited:

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
My parents buy packs and packs of plastic water bottles, since the water quality in Florida is shit. We have the water filter from the sink, but replacing those filters is expensive too and often goes out very quickly. I need to get back into the sink filter game, but one that fits my sink configuration.