• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Do you ever just stop and look at all the unnecessary plastic shit around you and ask "how did we get to this place?"

Like yesterday, my wife packed me a pre-made salad for lunch. The salad was in a plastic bag, and inside that plastic bag was a smaller plastic bag holding the non-lettuce/kale ingredients, and inside that bag these ingredients were individually wrapped in their own plastic bags. And the dressing was separate, also in plastic. As I mixed it together, I stared despondently at the plastic on the counter that was manufactured to hold a single meal for a single human and then would exist on the planet as pollution for like *checks google* the next few decades at least.

Oct 27, 2017
Generally I'd say if you're paying for bottled water in any form you're a plum, but that's probably just my privilege to live in an area where the tap water is clean and uncontaminated speaking.

I have one of those metal reusable Chilli's bottles at work, fill it up with water every day from the tap. Job done. It'll last for years I assume.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Dasani is the worst water. I kinda wonder if it tastes better canned. It's sink filter -> brita -> reusable water bottle for me. I only buy bottled water in case of hurricane and for long distance road trips.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much anything from a can tastes weird to me, not sure if it's all mental or if there's something going on there. I imagine the former...

I don't hate on people for buying packaged water anymore, since I ran my tap water through a distiller and saw (well, smelled) the result. Good god almighty

Paper biodegrades though, people get too hung up on recycling where wood products are concerned. Cardboard in your trash will not doom the earth.

Paper >>> Aluminum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (turn page) >>>>>>>>> plastic

It won't biodegrade if it's in the trash. Garbage is tightly packed and gets no oxygen needed to biodegrade. Same with food placed in the trash. Paper also requires substantially more water and generates much more CO2 than plastic does.

Just don't fucking buy bottled water people. It's really not hard. At all.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I've completely stopped buying bottled water, so this is probably a good move on their part.

I wish I could stop buying plastic bottles of pop though. A pack of 12x355mL cans, even at its best sale, is always more expensive than 6x710mL bottles here in Ontario. I know it's usually only ~$1 more, but I drink a lot of pop so it adds up quick.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised with Newark. My keywords were 'depending on locale'. It's a crap-shoot, we have notoriously different sources of water treatment plants, wells, lakes, reservoirs, desalination, etc etc. So it's never easy to figure out exactly where the water is coming from and where it went thru. I'm in Hudson Co. We did get letters and emails from Suez a few months back (I think nearly everyone did, actually) stating the lead issues. There is a website, I'll see if I can find it, that lets you know - down to your very address - if there is lead in the route of pipes. We were luckily okay. Strangely enough, the website to check for lead in the pipes towards your address were completely missing from the emails and snail-mail lol Will edit shortly when I find the site.

Edit* Found the site for anyone in NJ that may be curious:
Note: Towns that are not affected include Franklin Lakes, Allendale and Saddle River. Also not affected are residents in municipalities that contract with SUEZ to operate their water systems, including Jersey City, Bayonne, Hoboken, Rahway, Kearny and Orange.

So, at the very least, those towns above are not even affected by lead, which was partially my point. It's a crap-shoot. Everyone should get their water tested anyway. I think it's free from Suez but I would have to double check.

Last edited:

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised with Newark. My keywords were 'depending on locale'. It's a crap-shoot, we have notoriously different sources of water treatment plants, wells, lakes, reservoirs, desalination, etc etc. So it's never easy to figure out exactly where the water is coming from and where it went thru. I'm in Hudson Co. We did get letters and emails from Suez a few months back (I think nearly everyone did, actually) stating the lead issues. There is a website, I'll see if I can find it, that lets you know - down to your very address - if there is lead in the route of pipes. We were luckily okay. Strangely enough, the website to check for lead in the pipes towards your address were completely missing from the emails and snail-mail lol Will edit shortly when I find the site.
That's great that some in New Jersey can drink from the tap and not be poisoned. But I'm not sure how my comment about shitty tap water mentioning Jersey, when one of the largest, if not the largest, population centers of the state has poison in its water would spark you to make a comment about how pure it is.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
That's great that some in New Jersey can drink from the tap and not be poisoned. But I'm not sure how my comment about shitty tap water mentioning Jersey, when one of the largest, if not the largest, population centers of the state has poison in its water would spark you to make a comment about how pure it is.
I literally never said it was pure, all I'm attempting to do is educate. Sources and links have been edited in for, mainly, Northern NJ.
When I said we have pretty good water here, that's all I meant, here in my locale. Sorry for the confusion.

Edit* Also Newark is the largest population center in the state; you're correct. Jersey City coming in second with only 16k less people and according to my research, their city is lead-free which further muddies the waters lol

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I literally never said it was pure, all I'm attempting to do is educate. Sources and links have been edited in for, mainly, Northern NJ.
When I said we have pretty good water here, that's all I meant, here in my locale. Sorry for the confusion.
I understand that what you're saying is in your area of New Jersey the water is ok. I was just taken aback by you trying to contradict my inclusion of Jersey on the list of places with shit water when you yourself say "it's a crap shoot."

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
My sink water looks and tastes like cum water, it's insane. Not even a Brita filter makes it taste okay. I ended up buying a water dispenser, and I just refill my massive jug as needed. Although they've been getting rid of a lot of the spots I'd refill them at...

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
My sink water looks and tastes like cum water, it's insane. Not even a Brita filter makes it taste okay. I ended up buying a water dispenser, and I just refill my massive jug as needed. Although they've been getting rid of a lot of the spots I'd refill them at...
get one of those undersink filter systems

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
My sink water looks and tastes like cum water, it's insane.
giphy.gif

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are boxes really much better than plastic? It's probably a bit easier to recycle, but paper products still have a bunch of issues in this regard. As for aluminum, my impression has always been that it's far easier to recycle than either paper or plastic and you can generally recover the majority of the material

aren't they biodegradable?

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably just air bubbles that make it look cloudy.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Brita don't filter shit. Get an Aquagear at least.

I'll agree with the former, but not the latter. I tried an Aquagear pitcher and it was one of the worst filters I've used. Crappy, leaky pitcher and still had the same crappy tap water taste.

I really liked German based Mavea but they had to pull out of the US. I'm going to try Zerowater and see how they do.

As for the topic. I dunno, whenever I have something in aluminum cans I can't seem to shake the metallic taste. However, when I have coconut water via bimetal cans I'm okay. *shrug*

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Those cans look nice :)

But drinking water from a can would confuse my brain lol