• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've been following him for a few years now and I'm always interested to hear what he has to say. Do I agree all the time? No. Does he come off as contrarian, arrogant, dismissive, and disingenuous sometimes? Sure. But I still like to hear him out. I prefer to hear his opinions on the industry at large as opposed to individual games. I don't fully understand the extent of the hate he gets.

He had a great discussion with Jason Schreier on his prior YouTube show so hopefully he can reach that level of quality again.

I keep seeing posts like these and really wonder what people like you really think he is bringing to the table that no one else is?

Honestly....
Antonio-Conte_These_Motherfuckers.png

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
honey, it's not about his videos on videogames that pissed us off.

and like I said, if people who liked him in the past want to give him another chance, sure! go for it.

Hell, it isn't even his politics for me.

It's the ego. It's the asshole attitude that he thinks is a badge of honor. It's the intellectual laziness and grade school circular, might make right arguments.

Watching comic Aisha Tyler shut him down and run circles around him was something. Bullying isn't intellectualism.

Deleted member 16576

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I too respect people who follow their hearts and pursue their dreams of ranting racist and misogynistic view points to a select audience though poorly researched and edited videos. And, when faced with any sort of backlash refuse to apologize or just say, "it was just a jokey, joke."

I think someone like Moriarty is right up there with Rosa Parks.

Honestly, that's a harsh response. I did not mean to offend anyone. I'm also not saying the guy is a saint. I think it's acceptable for his fans to look forward to his return to games journalism. I don't think that's a crime.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The gaming community is better off without him.

I don't usually wish failure upon other people, but Colin doesn't deserve anything at this point.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Even putting aside his putrid views and even worse personality, you have to be really fucking intellectually lazy to find his stuff engaging.

It's the most boring, surface level observations with hypotheticals thrown in to massage his argument into making sense if you only consider "What if X were Y" and "Maybe Z was C the entire time!" to lead you to his conclusion.

You'd be more intellectually stimulated trying to figure out who did it in an episode of Scooby Doo.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing this critical response on here warms my heart. I'm with y'all on this.

I don't need Colin to come back. Never liked his views on gaming or politics, or his condescending pseudo-intellectual demeanor.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, that's a harsh response. I did not mean to offend anyone. I'm also not saying the guy is a saint. I think it's acceptable for his fans to look forward to his return to games journalism. I don't think that's a crime.

look forward to whatever you want but there's no need to try and excuse or whitewash his words and actions

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell, it isn't even his politics for me.

It's the ego. It's the asshole attitude that he thinks is a badge of honor. It's the intellectual laziness and grade school circular, might make right arguments.

Watching comic Aisha Tyler shut him down and run circles around him was something. Bullying isn't intellectualism.
Pretty much. There are a lot of people who think they're disliked because of their political views, when it's actually their personal conduct. I just don't understand why some people feel the need to be so mean and bitter and constantly looking for people to tear down so they can garner some sweet retweets from their followers.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
It is the position of the staff that we are not interested in providing a platform for Colin Moriarty. Please do not create threads about his content.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's a shame, was easy to forget he existed once he left KF and the gaming media.

I'll continue to ignore anything he does, albeit with a bit more effort.

Oct 25, 2017
Well reading through this thread it seems like it would be best for everyone to just not allow threads about him? The tweets of his linked here go against the guidelines of this forum and it's clear aside from OP this community doesn't like him so why spend time discussing someone you don't like when it's just going to create a negative reaction? There's discussion about games to be had..

Not trying to be a backseat moderator or limit free speech just giving a suggestion.

I agree with this. We run through the same list of insults every time we have a thread about him and it's not like it gets any more productive.

It's completely fine to disagree with him - I do. But I also see people calling him a "f**khead" and "asshole" in this thread, and I think there needs to be a line drawn somewhere.

MDanishU

Oct 27, 2017
Houston
AWESOME! this is fantastic news! I love his CLS videos but i still miss his gaming opinions. I don't agree with all of what he has to say, but he presents his thoughts well. Cancelled my KF patreon to support his CLS patreon when he left and am really happy with his output so far. I hope his games coverage is a podcast.

Its so funny how much even Reset hates Colin but he continues to be wildly successful and happy lmao.

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
Plenty of other posters have laid out why Colin has no real place in this community better than I have. It's not about his economic political views, it's about his repeated racist, misogynistic, and transphobic comments, as well as his general unwillingness to examine why his comments upset people. Bigotry, even in "diet" form, is not a valid and protected political position as far as I am concerned.

If you personally choose to separate the art from the artist, that's your prerogative. However, it is a position more born of convenience than responsibility, so don't be surprised if people are disappointed with that choice, and also don't be surprised or upset that others are more rigid towards artists with despicable social views.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
AWESOME! this is fantastic news! I love his CLS videos but i still miss his gaming opinions. I don't agree with all of what he has to say, but he presents his thoughts well. Cancelled my KF patreon to support his CLS patreon when he left and am really happy with his output so far. I hope his games coverage is a podcast.

Its so funny how much even Reset hates Colin but he continues to be wildly successful and happy lmao.
So wildly successful that he comes crawling back to his friends in the games industry he insulted to try and get a job back at games journalism, then cries on a patreon post about those same people.

LMAO!

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Even putting aside his putrid views and even worse personality, you have to be really fucking intellectually lazy to find his stuff engaging.

It's the most boring, surface level observations with hypotheticals thrown in to massage his argument into making sense if you only consider "What if X were Y" and "Maybe Z was C the entire time!" to lead you to his conclusion.

You'd be more intellectually stimulated trying to figure out who did it in an episode of Scooby Doo.

What's most amusing is when he's actually challenged by people who know more than him, he actively rejects it.

He did this on Twitter when he came out against Universal Basic Income, talking about how "Economics 101" is why it dies. He was challenged by Scott Santens, a leading figure in the United States on this topic, who offered him links to studies and information that broke his "automatic inflation" remark.

Colin told Scott that he didn't have to read up on any of the sources he was given, and continued to push his incorrect, stupid position.

People who think this man is intelligent or really a "hidden intellectual" are Walmart shopping philosophers.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Ooh, now we're going to be the subject of an angry tweet.

I wonder from which comedian's twitter he's going to steal and rephrase this one.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

If you're pinning your argument on, "I don't think it's a crime." Then it shows how low of a bar you've set. No one has stated it's a crime to like Colin, it's also not a crime to support Trump or the KKK. That's what happens in a country where free speech is allowed, for better or worse. However, just because something isn t a crime doesn't mean it is morally okay nor does it mean we have to respect said person or their views.

Just be honest, as a few others have done, you know full well that Colin is a racist, sexist, transphobe. But, you like his opinion on video games and that's all you care about. Stop trying to downplay his past comments or paint him as some noble contrarion worthy of respect and admiration.

EDIT:

I love this site and its mods.

Sea

Oct 27, 2017
pennsylvania
I agree with this. We run through the same list of insults every time we have a thread about him and it's not like it gets any more productive.

It's completely fine to disagree with him - I do. But I also see people calling him a "f**khead" and "asshole" in this thread, and I think there needs to be a line drawn somewhere.
I don't care about him being an asshole or a fuckhead, I don't care that he's arrogant, I don't care that he has a persecution complex, I just want all to know he's racist, transphobic, ableist trash.

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.