• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people dislike Colin's political views, of which he's now been able to make a living with CLS, and a lot of others find him errorant, but I always enjoyed his conversations in podcasts, particularly when other guests were on the show, be they developers or other industry journalist.

Say what you want about Colin, but it is really good to have opposing views in the video games industry and in general. Colin was blunt, sometimes misinformed, but he cared deeply about video games and the industry as a whole. He was always open about his anxiety in dealing with fans as Kinda Funny grew, and he had a huge amount of respect for old industry long form journalism that has declined over the last few years. One of his coolest interviews was with Jason Schrier shortly before he left Kinda Funny.

To me, it's always been clear why Colin left Kinda Funny. I respect what they set out to do, and I think Greg seems like a swell dude, but Kinda Funny has always aired on the side of optimism for its younger audience and it attempts to thrive in a YouTube world, which is just not what Colin wanted to do.

People on the internet are quick to judge and condem anything that becomes a story. When it comes down to it, very few of us know Colin personally, and it hurt to watch people tear him apart online over a few comments he's made. It's one thing to ask for an apology or remind Colin that he is in a role in which his voice can spread like fire, in a positive or negative way. But the threats, the harassment, and general disdain towards him for his beliefs just because they were different from personal beliefs was honestly embarrassing to watch. People make mistakes.

I may not always watch whatever he has in store, and I don't really watch Kinda Funny anymore. But I have a ton of respect for people who follow their heart and want to pursue what feels best at the time. It's not my place to judge their intentions, and I only hope that with Colin's return, he can bring back some great editorials with statistics and and well written themes back to his pocket of the game's industry for his fans. They've been asking and he wants to get back to games for them. More power to him.

We do kind of know him personally, we know his beliefs, we know his personality, we know who he is as a person. Because that's what he's made his money off of, that's always what he's put forward. Himself, as his "brand".

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 10000% certain there are already people in the "libertarian games commentator" market. So he better put in some work on production values if he wants that $$$$

What's amazing to me is how much of an archetype Libertarian he is. It hammers home the fact I believe Colin doesn't think deeply at all about anything; he fits a meme to the fuckin' tee. There's no nuance, like you see with people like Penn Jillette who have views that don't exactly fit into that Ayn Rand socioeconomic Darwinism these dweebs usually espouse.

Any bad thing you can assume about anti-intellectualism in Libertarian thought, and Colin has it. In fact, if we're to be honest, what of his Libertarian views contrast that of the leading internet Libertarian turd himself, Stefan Molyneux?

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
just like on The Old Forum, this guy, who apparently has nothing thoughtful or original to say, gets giant threads whenever he says or does anything. Shit is still a mystery to me.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know people are down on Colin in this thread, but his Colin was Right series was one of the best gaming related series on YouTube when he was still with Kinda Funny.

Looking forward to see some gaming related content from him. Not a fan of his historical videos.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Yeahno. You can stay in that rat infested hole called "Colin's Last Stand". I already have my full attention on those people you've mentioned further down that post.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not for me, Clive
Antonio-Conte_These_Motherfuckers.png

DankMeister

Oct 27, 2017
I know a lot of people dislike Colin's political views, of which he's now been able to make a living with CLS, and a lot of others find him errorant, but I always enjoyed his conversations in podcasts, particularly when other guests were on the show, be they developers or other industry journalist.

Say what you want about Colin, but it is really good to have opposing views in the video games industry and in general. Colin was blunt, sometimes misinformed, but he cared deeply about video games and the industry as a whole. He was always open about his anxiety in dealing with fans as Kinda Funny grew, and he had a huge amount of respect for old industry long form journalism that has declined over the last few years. One of his coolest interviews was with Jason Schrier shortly before he left Kinda Funny.

To me, it's always been clear why Colin left Kinda Funny. I respect what they set out to do, and I think Greg seems like a swell dude, but Kinda Funny has always aired on the side of optimism for its younger audience and it attempts to thrive in a YouTube world, which is just not what Colin wanted to do.

People on the internet are quick to judge and condem anything that becomes a story. When it comes down to it, very few of us know Colin personally, and it hurt to watch people tear him apart online over a few comments he's made. It's one thing to ask for an apology or remind Colin that he is in a role in which his voice can spread like fire, in a positive or negative way. But the threats, the harassment, and general disdain towards him for his beliefs just because they were different from personal beliefs was honestly embarrassing to watch. People make mistakes.

I may not always watch whatever he has in store, and I don't really watch Kinda Funny anymore. But I have a ton of respect for people who follow their heart and want to pursue what feels best at the time. It's not my place to judge their intentions, and I only hope that with Colin's return, he can bring back some great editorials with statistics and and well written themes back to his pocket of the game's industry for his fans. They've been asking and he wants to get back to games for them. More power to him.

This does a great job of summing up how I feel. Based on the reaction you would think he's literally the worst person on earth and if we don't think so we're just as bad.

Oct 27, 2017
Man what would Libertarian game commentators even discuss? Like is there some loser out there fervently making articles and youtube videos talking about how game development crunch is a good thing?
You see, game developers never seeing their families is good because it forces the children to not rely on anyone but themselves. Forging an extremely individualist personality is core to creating well developed and high functioning adults. I am very smart.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

honey, it's not about his videos on videogames that pissed us off.

and like I said, if people who liked him in the past want to give him another chance, sure! go for it.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well reading through this thread it seems like it would be best for everyone to just not allow threads about him? The tweets of his linked here go against the guidelines of this forum and it's clear aside from OP this community doesn't like him so why spend time discussing someone you don't like when it's just going to create a negative reaction? There's discussion about games to be had..

Not trying to be a backseat moderator or limit free speech just giving a suggestion.

Varixio

Oct 27, 2017
No thanks Colin, I'll just say that. The fact that he doesn't mention KF even in passing just rubs me the wrong way.

Talked smack about the industry and then expects them to welcome him with open arms. Nope.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, even ignoring all the dire political stuff the dude's just not very astute. He's a lazy thinker who never outgrew his freshman year in terms of rhetoric or argument. Can't be a milkshake duck if you never had anything worth quacking about in the first place.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just like on The Old Forum, this guy, who apparently has nothing thoughtful or original to say, gets giant threads whenever he says or does anything. Shit is still a mystery to me.
A lot of it is just passive discussion, and he was/is a big name in the industry, he had connections, he was part of the most successful gaming patreon out there. He isn't joe schmoe and his political slant makes the discussion much deeper and better for dialogue.

I , personally however, am spending way too much time talking about some rando games/political commentator with whom I have a passing familiarity, at 3AM.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
All the replies in this thread after the "resetera is a fresh start for everyone!" nonsense in the OP is straight hilarious.

It is kinda funny

But

When your re-entry is disparaging 100s of colleagues in a random post and then announcing your re-entry to games punditry / journalism because you can do it better... Well. Thanks for showing us the same old shit.

That's not a reset on the correct footing.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
You see, game developers never seeing their families is good because it forces the children to not rely on anyone but themselves. Forging an extremely individualist personality is core to creating well developed and high functioning adults. I am very smart.

To be fair, I'm sure he dislikes the whole crunch culture in games.

Yet, as this is Colin, I bet he thinks this in general. The same guy who "didn't rely on anyone" as he got a free ride through college as his mother worked at the one he went to. The same guy who, to my knowledge and his words, has not ever made a resume before.

He's a profoundly interesting person to me, as he's the type of sore I dislike in American culture today. So isolationist in positions that the unity that he has benefitted from goes right over his fuckin' head.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Well reading through this thread it seems like it would be best for everyone to just not allow threads about him? The tweets of his linked here go against the guidelines of this forum and it's clear aside from OP this community doesn't like him so why spend time discussing someone you don't like when it's just going to create a negative reaction? There's discussion about games to be had..

Not trying to be a backseat moderator or limit free speech just giving a suggestion.

Not only that but he hasn't been doing gaming shit for a long time, right? And when he was out the door at Kinda Funny, his enthusiasm for gaming was nonexistent.

Fuck I don't care, I just won't be in those threads. It's really annoying that people are like "oh but I don't care what he does outside of games!"

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Like 90% gaming "personalities" or "celebrities" I don't give a shit about this guy. I never understand the worship people have for Youtubers, Streamers, whatever.

Add to that me reading up that he's kind of a shithead?

Yeah, nope.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

If Colin comes out and publically apologizes for his comments and shows he's a changed person in terms of racism, sexism, and transphobia, I'd be happy to hear his views. He did not just make a "few" mistakes. The man is a racist, sexist transphobic bigot who is against everything this site and community stand for. Threats and harassment are not okay, but there is nothing wrong with general disdain or calling out his stupidity. To be clear, this is not just a matter of different personal beliefs like "I think Uncharted 4 is better than Uncharted 2." These are racist, sexist, transphobic comments which go beyond personal belief.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It's up to the mods to make the call. It isn't my call, but I don't see any harm for those who are fans to have a community thread to discuss his content. Hell, the JonTron OT in the other forum stayed up even after his whole shit. But like I said, it ain't up to me.

Deleted member 16576

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We do kind of know him personally, we know his beliefs, we know his personality, we know who he is as a person. Because that's what he's made his money off of, that's always what he's put forward. Himself, as his "brand".

We don't know him entirely though, and it's ok if you disagree with that. I just find it dangerous to pretend like we understand the depths of any celebrity purely based on what they have said of what we see online. Even close friends have things under the surface that we may never see or understand. It's ok if you disagree, to each there own. Diversified thoughts and opinions are good, so long as we listen to each other.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

I too respect people who follow their hearts and pursue their dreams of ranting racist and misogynistic view points to a select audience though poorly researched and edited videos. And, when faced with any sort of backlash refuse to apologize or just say, "it was just a jokey, joke."

I think someone like Moriarty is right up there with Rosa Parks.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
just like on The Old Forum, this guy with a significant following and influence (at least in the past), who apparently has nothing thoughtful or original to say, gets giant (eh, sizable) threads whenever he says something shitty or does anything kind of worth noting, I guess. Shit makes sense to me.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know him entirely though, and it's ok if you disagree with that. I just find it dangerous to pretend like we understand the depths of any celebrity purely based on what they have said of what we see online. Even close friends have things under the surface that we may never see or understand. It's ok if you disagree, to each there own. Diversified thoughts and opinions are good, so long as we listen to each other.

We aren't labeling him based on the depths of his soul, what he's presented forth of himself is what we judge him on, because it's basically what hes ASKED us to do so with.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's up to the mods to make the call. It isn't my call, but I don't see any harm for those who are fans to have a community thread to discuss his content. Hell, the JonTron OT in the other forum stayed up even after his whole shit. But like I said, it ain't up to me.
At the least the main gaming section of this site seems like the wrong place for this thread or future ones.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
This does a great job of summing up how I feel. Based on the reaction you would think he's literally the worst person on earth and if we don't think so we're just as bad.

he got called out for making transphic tweets with a gamergater and instead of apologizing turned around and said "no one is immune to comedy"

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For me I'm indifferent about his politics stuff and I'm willingly oblivious to almost anything politics. If he didn't lean towards American politics and history I would've given his new thing a ago.

I liked Colin Was Right.

Maybe he'll start writing for NeoGAF.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to reset some of my views just because we've moved here.
Colin's made his views and opinions apparent, so no thanks.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
I too respect people who follow their hearts and pursue their dreams of ranting racist and misogynistic view points to a select audience though poorly researched and edited videos. And, when faced with any sort of backlash refuse to apologize or just say, "it was just a jokey, joke."

I think someone like Moriarty is right up there with Rosa Parks.
You HAVE to be joking. PLEASE say you're joking.

EDIT: Eyes jumped to the last line. Didn't see sarcasm tag. My bad

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if we don't know him personally. What does 'knowing him personally' change about his statement on 'White Privilage not existing because Asians' or his comments with an alt-righter about the trans community? Bigoted statements make you bigoted, seems kinda simple.
You HAVE to be joking. PLEASE say you're joking.
BossAttack is being sarcastic.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

It's one thing to have different views.

It's another thing to say things that are very clearly inflammatory and roll back on the "it's just a joke guys" every time it arises, if he gets challenged at all.

Unless his admiration of high school philosophy of Ayn Rand personally created a psychologically destructive experience to his psyche, I don't see how the "under the surface demons" are justified in the manifestations of his arrogance, which he then uses to make the aforementioned inflammatory remarks.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Ask any white person if they are willing to switch their race to Asian.

Boom.

Asian's "model minority" myth busted.

I'm sure the lot of us are thrilled to be second class in economic ( with respect to education ), media representation and still be used as wedge to drive divide between other minority races for the sake of upholding white supremacy.

Buzz off

Oct 27, 2017
Why do we have to listen to and respect racist and transphobic rhetoric? Can you provide even one example of it helping the gaming community?

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
just like on The Old Forum, this guy with a significant following and influence (at least in the past), who apparently has nothing thoughtful or original to say, gets giant (eh, sizable) threads whenever he says something shitty or does anything kind of worth noting, I guess. Shit makes sense to me.

fair enough, idk what you guys ever saw in him though.

Deleted member 16576

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Colin comes out and publically apologizes for his comments and shows he's a changed person in terms of racism, sexism, and transphobia, I'd be happy to hear his views. He did not just make a "few" mistakes. The man is a racist, sexist transphobic bigot who is against everything this site and community stand for. Threats and harassment are not okay, but there is nothing wrong with general disdain or calling out his stupidity. To be clear, this is not just a matter of different personal beliefs like "I think Uncharted 4 is better than Uncharted 2." These are racist, sexist, transphobic comments which go beyond personal belief.

And that is entirely fair. He's said a lot of terrible things that should absolutely be accounted for, I won't disagree with you on that at all.

And I'm not saying that personal attacks are found on this forum at all. During a lot of Colin's tirades on Twitter, people were responding to his insesative sexist and racist comments with insensitive threats and various other forms of harassment, which is not really ok. I'm not justifying his actions though, just saying there's more to people than the sum of their faults, failures, and hurtful thoughts and words, no matter how severe. But that's just me, and that's ok.

I appreciate all the work you all do trying to keep open discussions on these forums though, and letting people talk about these things because it's important.

Status
Not open for further replies.