• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Opening Post

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

Dec_01_2018_18_30_23.gif

Dec_01_2018_18_38_32.gif

CFP Rankings
  1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. Notre Dame
  4. Oklahoma
  5. Georgia
  6. Ohio State
  7. Michigan
  8. UCF
  9. Washington
  10. Florida
  11. LSU
  12. Penn State
  13. Wazzu
  14. Kentucky
  15. Texas
  16. West Virginia
  17. Utah
  18. Mississippi State
  19. Texas A&M
  20. Syracuse
  21. Fresno State
  22. Northwestern
  23. Mizzou
  24. Iowa State
  25. Boise State

Selected pre-NY6 bowls (I'm not listing all of them)

December 15

New Mexico- North Texas vs. Utah State, 2 PM
Las Vegas- Arizona State vs. Fresno State, 3:30 PM

December 22

Birmingham- Wake Forest vs. Memphis, noon
Armed Forces- Army vs Houston, 3:30 PM

December 28

Camping World- West Virginia vs. Syracuse, 5:15 PM

Playoff and NY6 start December 29, as will the NY6 thread.

Full bowl schedule

pac12afaterdark-e1505105220457.png

Bowl season has (somewhat) embraced P12AD!

December 26- Cheez-It- TCU vs Cal, 9 PM
December 28- Alamo- Iowa State vs. Wazzu, 9 PM

Housekeeping

Bowl Pick'em (done as always by the wonderful Karl2177 )

CFB Era's Official Podcast- The Decided Schematic Advantage- Records live in our Discord every Wednesday @ 9 PM EST

The new podcast is up. Subscribe in iTunes here or find The Decided Schematic Advantage in your podcast app of choice

Episode 69 - Watch out for Nice Surf Bros in Texas this Holiday Season

Bowl previews, Early Signing Day mentioned, Justin Fields sweepstakes is on, questions from listeners... Happy Holidays, everyone!

We're generally on Discord for live game chat- quote to find the link and join us!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to just use Yahoo for the bowl pick 'em but it's showing that they stopped doing them 2 years ago. ESPN?

Also, ErnieMcCracken , Monroeski I haven't received your guesses for Army/Navy total score yet. Dunno if you've sent them in or they got caught in some upgrade vortex.

MrJames

Oct 25, 2017
To the defense....go fuck yourselves you worthless pieces of shit, thank you for your support.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018

Do we know why they backed out of it?

Also, UCF's AD has to realize that if he wants to compete for a playoff spot or build a perennial contender that - who knows - might join a Power 5 conference, you can't expect to schedule these majors teams to Home and Home games. Honestly, getting 2 for 1 instead of a neutral site is likely better anyways.

UCF if in an unfortunate situation where major schools don't really benefit from playing them. They aren't the type of school that is likely to give a prestige boost to a season the way a normally good or pretty good Power 5 team would, and let's be honest we can't know UCF will be a top 10 caliber team in 3-5 years because they don't have the track record for sustained success or a program with a tradition of being really good. It is cool that they play Stanford and Pitt next year though.

For example, Alabama has Texas on the schedule in the future - when they signed the deal Texas wasn't particularly good but Texas has a history of being an elite team. When they play Texas might be preseason top 5 and go on to win the Big XII or they might be unranked, but regardless Alabama will get credit for scheduling them and they are more likely to be at least a good team.

If Alabama scheduled UCF for 2022, UCF might have regressed to being an 8-4/9-3 good team, but they won't really get much credit for the victory (if they win). Maybe UCF is starting to fall apart by then and Alabama would be criticizes for playing them.

Let's not forget just a few years ago UCF went undefeated. While I personally think UCF has a lot of potential, I believe some are living in the moment and not looking at the macro view.

And yeah, I personally want to see teams play tougher schedules. I'm okay with Alabama scheduling somebody like Texas and hypothetically UCF in the same season. But if these big teams don't have much to gain finanacially, and there's no guarantee they will benefit from a victory and a loss can almost end their hopes for the playoffs, why bother?

TL;DR: UCF needs to take 2 and 1 deals or neutral site deals or whatever they have to in order to schedule the major Power 5 teams, especially if it's regional like Florida, FSU, Miami, etc.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
TL;DR: UCF needs to take 2 and 1 deals or neutral site deals or whatever they have to in order to schedule the major Power 5 teams, especially if it's regional like Florida, FSU, Miami, etc.
For what it's worth, the American performed better against P5 OOC opponents than the ACC did. If you take out Clemson and Duke, the ACC was winless against P5 opponents. If you ask me, the ACC should be taking 2 and 1 deals instead of the American.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
For what it's worth, the American performed better against P5 OOC opponents than the ACC did. If you take out Clemson and Duke, the ACC was winless against P5 opponents. If you ask me, the ACC should be taking 2 and 1 deals instead of the American.

While funny, that's not really pertinent to anything. Even now, with only one really good team you are still going to get some credit for playing a mediocre ACC team, so there's no reason to avoid them. Same for most Power 5 teams that aren't Vanderbilt, or Kansas, or Oregon St, or Rutgers, or North Carolina - the teams that for the most part are trash. It's all because of this complex way we view the big boys. If Georgia plays Iowa, who is a solid B10 team, you can judge Georgia to some degree based on how Iowa fairs in their conference, especially against the best teams in them. If Georgia beats UCF this year, it's hard to judge that game because there's not as much faith in the quality of the American Conference or other group of 5 conferences.

In some respects it's cololetely arbitrary. In others it makes sense, the more we see teams go against other major programs and sign 4 star players and send their players into the draft the more we internalize how good we think a team is and a program is.

And it all feeds back into the idea that a middling Power 5 team is a safer bet to be a positive to your resume than a Group of 5 team.

Granted I'm frustrated as an Alabama fan that Duke is our "big" game next year.

One last thing though: if a mediocre Power 5 team wants to build themselves up they might avoid some difficult OOC games to build a winning program and compete in bowl games, although eventually that will come back to bite them (Washington St). But if you are a team like UCF that has hit a glass ceiling, you only have two options, either so what it takes to play the big boys even if you don't get an equal deal (which in fairness they shouldn't expect it), or yell at the clouds and hope you can keep winning. Personally I want to see UCF playing major OOC games because I would like to be able to accurately judge how good they are. As it stands now, when you have an easy schedule, there's no way to quantify how good a team is. Especially without enough of a track record to give a team the benefit of the doubt (like Alabama and Clemson have earned).

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because of one season's result?

It's prolly a good thing nobody asks you, in that case.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Do we know why they backed out of it?

Also, UCF's AD has to realize that if he wants to compete for a playoff spot or build a perennial contender that - who knows - might join a Power 5 conference, you can't expect to schedule these majors teams to Home and Home games. Honestly, getting 2 for 1 instead of a neutral site is likely better anyways.

UCF if in an unfortunate situation where major schools don't really benefit from playing them. They aren't the type of school that is likely to give a prestige boost to a season the way a normally good or pretty good Power 5 team would, and let's be honest we can't know UCF will be a top 10 caliber team in 3-5 years because they don't have the track record for sustained success or a program with a tradition of being really good. It is cool that they play Stanford and Pitt next year though.

For example, Alabama has Texas on the schedule in the future - when they signed the deal Texas wasn't particularly good but Texas has a history of being an elite team. When they play Texas might be preseason top 5 and go on to win the Big XII or they might be unranked, but regardless Alabama will get credit for scheduling them and they are more likely to be at least a good team.

If Alabama scheduled UCF for 2022, UCF might have regressed to being an 8-4/9-3 good team, but they won't really get much credit for the victory (if they win). Maybe UCF is starting to fall apart by then and Alabama would be criticizes for playing them.

Let's not forget just a few years ago UCF went undefeated. While I personally think UCF has a lot of potential, I believe some are living in the moment and not looking at the macro view.

And yeah, I personally want to see teams play tougher schedules. I'm okay with Alabama scheduling somebody like Texas and hypothetically UCF in the same season. But if these big teams don't have much to gain finanacially, and there's no guarantee they will benefit from a victory and a loss can almost end their hopes for the playoffs, why bother?

Probably that 42-0 destruction of them followed by Tebow coming back for the 09 season. Now After breaking the first contract UCF is trying to set the terms of the second contract. What do they even teach there.

LosDaddie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Listening to the news podcast now. Still at the beginning, where you guys are discussing/arguing about the committee.

Bdub79

Oct 25, 2017
So OU has 2 different players winning the Hiesmen 2 years in a row. No ones talking about it.

This post is to see the hidden content in the OP.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Probably that 42-0 destruction of them followed by Tebow coming back for the 09 season. Now After breaking the first contract UCF is trying to set the terms of the second contract. What do they even teach there.
Yeah teams have never changed game schedules before after signing into a series. Never happens. No contract was broken since UF got paid as per the terms of the contract, to be fair. Also, this was like 3 ADs and a decade ago. With an AD that was a Gata and cheated his ass off almost getting the basketball and football programs nuked in the process.

UCF does not need to enter into 2-1 or one off agreements. That is not sustainable and it leads to destroying the program. You start bleeding home games and you start bleeding the season ticket base. UCF is one of the few programs out there with attendance actually increasing. They're also doing the things they do with a much more narrow margin for error than teams like UF.

Danny White, the current AD, offered a counter deal that's fair to everyone and extremely reasonable. Either a one off neutral game or a 1-1-1 series where everyone gets paid. UCF isn't going to accept a shit sandwich deal because UF thinks their shit don't stink. You also can't predict the playoff given terms change week to week and year to year. So you're also gambling away home games in the hopes the goalposts don't move to "well you don't play teams like Bama or UGA 8-9 times a year so you're still not getting in."

Edit: McScroggz Looking at the macro view of even the last decade, UCF has accomplished more than most of FBS and a good chunk of P5 schools. UCF didn't start winning in 2017. It's also the only program in FBS to methodically build the program through all 4 divisions in football. From DIII -> DII -> FCS -> FBS. This is a long term ROI that the program is experiencing - with expected setbacks along the way.

Last edited:

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Fify. But for real it's pretty crazy that both of those heisman QBs started their college careers at other schools. If Jalen Hurts is the next OU quarterback im gonna flip my shit
Imagine a world where Oklahoma beats Alabama and Jalen Hurts transfers there.

First thing I'd do if you put me in charge of the committee is go to an 8 team playoff. We take the P5 conference winners and then 3 at larges, one of which must be a non-P5.

Next thing I'd do is remove conference tie ins with bowls. If we're gonna do this and make bowls matter less than they do now, we need the best matchups possible and not have a 4 or 5 loss team playing a 2 loss team, all because of tradition. So we seed the bowl teams according to our rankings.

LosDaddie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Committee sucks! Let us be in charge.
I thought that was good discussion! also agree with andy just let us pick the teams!

Andy and I are also currently fighting over whos a bigger UCF fan

Christmas Movie discussion lacked the proper respect due to Polar Express.

Agreed with y'all on Home Alone and Christmas Vacation bring the best. Disagree with almost all y'all on Die Hard. It's a Christmas movie.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Christmas Movie discussion lacked the proper respect due to Polar Express.

Agreed with y'all on Home Alone and Christmas Vacation bring the best. Disagree with almost all y'all on Die Hard. It's a Christmas movie.
Damn, forgot about Polar Express
It wouldn't have been remembered fondly if I had remembered it.
But we are definitely in agreement on Die Hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.