• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Imagine a world where Oklahoma beats Alabama and Jalen Hurts transfers there.

First thing I'd do if you put me in charge of the committee is go to an 8 team playoff. We take the P5 conference winners and then 3 at larges, one of which must be a non-P5.

Next thing I'd do is remove conference tie ins with bowls. If we're gonna do this and make bowls matter less than they do now, we need the best matchups possible and not have a 4 or 5 loss team playing a 2 loss team, all because of tradition. So we seed the bowl teams according to our rankings.

Yeah and if the 4 to 5 loss team gets the upset win, they'll inevitably get the " ______ had nothing to play for and wasn't motivated to win" excuse from the opponent and their fans. So nobody wins

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Yeah and if the 4 to 5 loss team gets the upset win, they'll inevitably get the " ______ had nothing to play for and wasn't motivated to win" excuse from the opponent and their fans. So nobody wins
Exactly. I actually meant to bring it up on the podcast last week but I forgot and I was probably just trying to get to the end... But no offense to Texas, I'd much rather UGA play OSU in a bowl game and I'm assuming they'd rather play UGA than Washington.

And maybe Washington could play Texas? I'm just saying, when I saw those matchups, I realized how much more I'd rather play OSU. Because if we beat Texas, everyone thinks we should have. And if we lose, it's what you said, they had no motivation to play a 4 loss team.

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine a world where Oklahoma beats Alabama and Jalen Hurts transfers there.

First thing I'd do if you put me in charge of the committee is go to an 8 team playoff. We take the P5 conference winners and then 3 at larges, one of which must be a non-P5.

Next thing I'd do is remove conference tie ins with bowls. If we're gonna do this and make bowls matter less than they do now, we need the best matchups possible and not have a 4 or 5 loss team playing a 2 loss team, all because of tradition. So we seed the bowl teams according to our rankings.

You can't have that "Every game matters" CFB feel and have automatic P5 conference winners make the playoff though.

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not true. Just another in the long line of tired cliches about this sport used to justify the most inane processes imaginable.

Alabama could have kneeled on every snap from Mississippi State, to the Citadel, all the way to Auburn, won the SEC Championship and get locked in to a playoff spot in this hypothetical system. I'm sure every fan would be just fine with that.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Alabama could have kneeled on every snap from Mississippi State, to the Citadel, all the way to Auburn, won the SEC Championship and get locked in to a playoff spot in this hypothetical system. I'm sure every fan would be just fine with that.
Because that's definitely a thing that would happen.

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

And they would lose hosting a QF because of it.

When you're at Bama's level you would care about seeding. That's enough of an incentive to finish out strong.

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And they would lose hosting a QF because of it.

When you're at Bama's level you would care about seeding. That's enough of an incentive to finish out strong.

My original point alluded to that "Every game matters" is something that I and a lot of other fans love about CFB. Losing some or most of that would minimize some people's joy of watching this sport. I'm open to the idea of expanding the playoff to 8 teams, but automatic bids from conference championship wins would diminish some of that shine and sweetness.

To respond to your point, Bama doesn't need ideal seeding or placement to win national championships. They've proved that. I'm sure that Saban would want whats best for his team though

Because that's definitely a thing that would happen.

Here's a good list of the rules put in place because Saban gamed and loopholed them. So ask yourself this, what's stopping Saban from doing what I just described?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
But every game doesn't matter now. Half the league is eliminated right off the bat. At least every game would truly matter at the start of the season and work itself out from there.

As it stands now, it would be status quo for teams like Alabama anyway. Little would change from what they do now given the immense benefit of the doubt they get. See 2017: Losing, getting a bye week, and still getting in.

Really don't get why this is so difficult. As if no other sports have compelling regular seasons despite having competent playoff systems.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
My original point alluded to that "Every game matters" is something that I and a lot of other fans love about CFB. Losing some or most of that would minimize some people's joy of watching this sport. I'm open to the idea of expanding the playoff to 8 teams, but automatic bids from conference championship wins would diminish some of that shine and sweetness.

To respond to your point, Bama doesn't need ideal seeding or placement to win national championships. They've proved that. I'm sure that Saban would want whats best for his team though

Here's a good list of the rules put in place because Saban gamed and loopholed them. So ask yourself this, what's stopping Saban from doing what I just described?
You mean aside from the fact that
A) taking knees on every play means your backups and younger players get no reps
B) you kill any award chances for your players
C) you piss off your paying customers
and D) you piss off the TV networks?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
You mean aside from the fact that
A) taking knees on every play means your backups and younger players get no reps
B) you kill any award chances for your players
C) you piss off your paying customers
and D) you piss off the TV networks?
Since when has Nick Saban cared about any of that in a meaningful way? As long as he gets in the playoffs and wins he doesn't truly care and neither would any fans for the most part.

I am for making it a larger more inclusive playoffs but a whole hell of a lot will have to change to make it work. With at large bids it immediately incentives the league's to eliminate championship games. SEC could have crowned Bama the regular season champ and UGA gets in as an at large. Clemson doesn't play Putt no biggie and OSU wouldn't have to play NW. There immediately becomes little reason to play a game that negatively impacts you. No OU vs UT rematch.

You also wouldn't want to force it conference championship game winners and at larges. The league's will find ways around it.

scheduling has to be centralized and changed too. Sorry but since there is no real parity in CFB you can't equate to winning the ACC to the BIG to the BIGXII or SEC or even the PAC.

it isn't as easy as just saying conference champs plus 2. What happens when three schools from one conference get in?

Cfb isn't shield ball and we shouldn't try to force it. Yes the current system sucks for some. There is inherent bias against g6, but no one ever said it was going to be. Outside of adopting an fcs style system, and figuring out how the money would work out and what happens to bowls, I just see it as a pipe dream until we end up with super -conferences.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Since when has Nick Saban cared about any of that in a meaningful way? As long as he gets in the playoffs and wins he doesn't truly care and neither would any fans for the most part.

I am for making it a larger more inclusive playoffs but a whole hell of a lot will have to change to make it work. With at large bids it immediately incentives the league's to eliminate championship games. SEC could have crowned Bama the regular season champ and UGA gets in as an at large. Clemson doesn't play Putt no biggie and OSU wouldn't have to play NW. There immediately becomes little reason to play a game that negatively impacts you. No OU vs UT rematch.

You also wouldn't want to force it conference championship game winners and at larges. The league's will find ways around it.

scheduling has to be centralized and changed too. Sorry but since there is no real parity in CFB you can't equate to winning the ACC to the BIG to the BIGXII or SEC or even the PAC.

it isn't as easy as just saying conference champs plus 2. What happens when three schools from one conference get in?

Cfb isn't shield ball and we shouldn't try to force it. Yes the current system sucks for some. There is inherent bias against g6, but no one ever said it was going to be. Outside of adopting an fcs style system, and figuring out how the money would work out and what happens to bowls, I just see it as a pipe dream until we end up with super -conferences.
Saban cares because his AD cares. His process means nothing if it submarines the athletic department.

Not to mention the recruiting fallout.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not sure what Saban thinks he's getting here. Possibly to a fault he think everyone deserves second chances, but he doesn't have to be the one to give one to Durkin.

As is, before we learned Durkin was a shit heel he was considered a good to great defensive coach. So maybe Sab's wants to glean something from him?

Just not a good thing I think overall. Would prefer people like Durkin stay far far away from CFB

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Yeah teams have never changed game schedules before after signing into a series. Never happens. No contract was broken since UF got paid as per the terms of the contract, to be fair. Also, this was like 3 ADs and a decade ago. With an AD that was a Gata and cheated his ass off almost getting the basketball and football programs nuked in the process.

UCF does not need to enter into 2-1 or one off agreements. That is not sustainable and it leads to destroying the program. You start bleeding home games and you start bleeding the season ticket base. UCF is one of the few programs out there with attendance actually increasing. They're also doing the things they do with a much more narrow margin for error than teams like UF.

Danny White, the current AD, offered a counter deal that's fair to everyone and extremely reasonable. Either a one off neutral game or a 1-1-1 series where everyone gets paid. UCF isn't going to accept a shit sandwich deal because UF thinks their shit don't stink. You also can't predict the playoff given terms change week to week and year to year. So you're also gambling away home games in the hopes the goalposts don't move to "well you don't play teams like Bama or UGA 8-9 times a year so you're still not getting in."

Edit: McScroggz Looking at the macro view of even the last decade, UCF has accomplished more than most of FBS and a good chunk of P5 schools. UCF didn't start winning in 2017. It's also the only program in FBS to methodically build the program through all 4 divisions in football. From DIII -> DII -> FCS -> FBS. This is a long term ROI that the program is experiencing - with expected setbacks along the way.
Doesn't USF take 2 and 1 series. They make around the same money as UCF. If it's good enough for them it should be good enough for UCF. Didn't Miami used to just take random away games when they were getting big and seemed to work out for them. I just listen to UCF fans complain how their schedule was hard and then teams backed out but now find out they backed out of what could have been a good start for a UF rivalry and haven't reached out since. The best UCF should get is a home and de facto home game at Camping World. Why would the gators ever play in that tiny stadium. How good can UCF season tickets be when every game including the bowl game is available for under 20 dollars though.

Also it's impossible talking to you. You said I was trolling you and crazy when I said UCF might make the NCAA tournament but they probably wouldn't.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Doesn't USF take 2 and 1 series. They make around the same money as UCF. If it's good enough for them it should be good enough for UCF. Didn't Miami used to just take random away games when they were getting big and seemed to work out for them. I just listen to UCF fans complain how their schedule was hard and then teams backed out but now find out they backed out of what could have been a good start for a UF rivalry and haven't reached out since. The best UCF should get is a home and de facto home game at Camping World. Why would the gators ever play in that tiny stadium. How good can UCF season tickets be when every game including the bowl game is available for under 20 dollars though.

Also it's impossible talking to you. You said I was trolling you and crazy when I said UCF might make the NCAA tournament but they probably wouldn't.
Don't even know who you are or what you're talking about. I'm sure whatever it was, it wasn't that serious regarding the NCAA tourney.

As for the rest, USF has accomplished nothing of note in their football history and plays in a rented stadium. Did you know in that 2-1 deal, they're also giving up gate revenue to UF at Raymond James? Let's not compare them to UCF. About 25-30k actual people show up to USF games on a regular basis. Even when they're winning.

UF is being completely disingenuous here. For one, UCF has been clear about wanting 1-1 deals. You cannot build programs on one and dones or buy games. So for UF to come out and "offer" a 2-1 is crazy because they know it's something UCF can't accept. We've done buy games and 2-1 deals with larger programs. And it isn't a viable strategy.

Two, UF is implying they regularly schedule 1-1 deals with P5 schools. The fact is the last time they've done a 1-1 with any school not named FSU or Miami was Syracuse in 1991. And even the Miami series has largely ended on a 1-1 basis. They just do 1-1 in general extremely rarely. Let's not let them imply they load up on 1-1 games even among P5 schools. UF has also stopped doing 1-1 in baseball games with UCF. And UF hasn't scheduled UCF in basketball since they got beat by UCF in a neutral site game. Funnily enough, they haven't scheduled Syracuse since they beat them either.

UCF has scheduled 1-1s with a number of P5 programs. Including Stanford who has been much better than UF in the last decade and is a good brand. Stanford will do as much or more for SOS than UF at this point. UCF has also stated they're open to one off neutral games or an actual fair 1-1-1 deal. College football attendance across the country, including UF, has been falling. UCF is one of the few programs on an upward trend. That's a simple fact. And tiny stadium? It's comparable in size and even larger than some P5 programs that have been around much longer than UCF was even a school.

I think it is funny that the coach is up there talking about UCF when they need to be focused on beating Michigan, though. What it comes down to is they're just miffed that with FSU and Miami down, they're not the best program in the state for once. So they're out there talking about UCF hoping people eat it up. And for some, looks like it's successful.

And you're seriously comparing bowl games now lol? Last year UCF sold out in record time and we packed MBS. UF hasn't even sold out their allotment yet. UCF also got shipped off to Arizona which is very expensive to get to. To compare that to a game within driving distance to UF is hilarious.

Finally to compare what FSU or Miami did is great. FSU and Miami did their thing 20-30+ years ago. When conferences were not as dominant and when there were many more independents. And when UF and FSU could use state funds to build up athletics facilities. You'd be surprised on how few one and dones and 2-1 deals Miami and FSU actually entered into. BTW, didn't the state legislature have to get involved to even get UF to start playing FSU more often?

Elderly Parrot

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Don't even know who you are or what you're talking about. I'm sure whatever it was, it wasn't that serious regarding the NCAA tourney.

As for the rest, USF has accomplished nothing of note in their football history and plays in a rented stadium. Did you know in that 2-1 deal, they're also giving up gate revenue to UF at Raymond James? Let's not compare them to UCF. About 25-30k actual people show up to USF games on a regular basis. Even when they're winning.

UF is being completely disingenuous here. For one, UCF has been clear about wanting 1-1 deals. You cannot build programs on one and dones or buy games. So for UF to come out and "offer" a 2-1 is crazy because they know it's something UCF can't accept. We've done buy games and 2-1 deals with larger programs. And it isn't a viable strategy.

Two, UF is implying they regularly schedule 1-1 deals with P5 schools. The fact is the last time they've done a 1-1 with any school not named FSU or Miami was Syracuse in 1991. And even the Miami series has largely ended on a 1-1 basis. They just do 1-1 in general extremely rarely. Let's not let them imply they load up on 1-1 games even among P5 schools. UF has also stopped doing 1-1 in baseball games with UCF. And UF hasn't scheduled UCF in basketball since they got beat by UCF in a neutral site game. Funnily enough, they haven't scheduled Syracuse since they beat them either.

UCF has scheduled 1-1s with a number of P5 programs. Including Stanford who has been much better than UF in the last decade and is a good brand. Stanford will do as much or more for SOS than UF at this point. UCF has also stated they're open to one off neutral games or an actual fair 1-1-1 deal. College football attendance across the country, including UF, has been falling. UCF is one of the few programs on an upward trend. That's a simple fact. And tiny stadium? It's comparable in size and even larger than some P5 programs that have been around much longer than UCF was even a school.

I think it is funny that the coach is up there talking about UCF when they need to be focused on beating Michigan, though. What it comes down to is they're just miffed that with FSU and Miami down, they're not the best program in the state for once. So they're out there talking about UCF hoping people eat it up. And for some, looks like it's successful.

And you're seriously comparing bowl games now lol? Last year UCF sold out in record time and we packed MBS. UF hasn't even sold out their allotment yet. UCF also got shipped off to Arizona which is very expensive to get to. To compare that to a game within driving distance to UF is hilarious.

Finally to compare what FSU or Miami did is great. FSU and Miami did their thing 20-30+ years ago. When conferences were not as dominant and when there were many more independents. And when UF and FSU could use state funds to build up athletics facilities. You'd be surprised on how few one and dones and 2-1 deals Miami and FSU actually entered into. BTW, didn't the state legislature have to get involved to even get UF to start playing FSU more often?
Stanford being a better team for UCF sos is laughable. Are they even ranked the, PAC 12 is horrible. Their champion lost to Auburn. The gators beating Troy has much effect on their playoff chances as beating UCF. UCF owes UF a game so 2 and 1 is fine. Legislative bodies had to get involved to get UF to play FSU more often? Dude that whole thing went down before they even played a game against each other lol. And they were nothing back then that they played 6 in a row in Gainesville.

Whatever I'm going to enjoy Miami game next year and USF in 3 years. Will any of the other Florida teams be able to say they played all the other Florida teams this millineium.

Last edited:

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Stanford being a better team for UCF sos is laughable. Are they even ranked the, PAC 12 is horrible. Their champion lost to Auburn. The gators beating Troy has much effect on their playoff chances as beating UCF. UCF owes UF a game so 2 and 1 is fine. Legislative bodies had to get involved to get UF to play FSU more often? Dude that whole thing went down before they even played a game against each other lol. And they were nothing back then that they played 6 in a row in Gainesville.

Whatever I'm going to enjoy Miami game next year and USF in 3 years. Will any of the other Florida teams be able to say they played all the other Florida teams this millineium.
UCF paid what was required as part of the contract 3 ADs ago. Still hilarious that UCF has officially said nothing and it's been all UF thinking about it and egging it on.

Anyway, hey I'm happy for you that you will finally be able to enjoy UF football after a decade.

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Yeah, this is your reminder that there are games today and picks are due.

New Mexico and Vegas should be mildly entertaining.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
putting 29 points on Fresno state paid off. I feel like I should of gone higher. I am sucking in the first weekend but a lot of yall suck worse. I only have 805 left to earn vs 840 for a lot of you.

andycapps & Bucknuticus did you guys even fill out your picks?

Elderly Parrot

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
UCF paid what was required as part of the contract 3 ADs ago. Still hilarious that UCF has officially said nothing and it's been all UF thinking about it and egging it on.

Anyway, hey I'm happy for you that you will finally be able to enjoy UF football after a decade.
2012 was pretty good. Just needed ND to lose and they would have been in but def was a dark decade 2010 till now. It would have been much more fun to play UCF in Atlanta or Miami if it was in the rotation. Oh welll. Good luck in your bowl game.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Never forget Brian Kelly got an aide killed bc of the coaches stupidity and carelessness as a football coach, is still employed, and now has won coach of the year twice. Man Fuck Notre Dame.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

In news that should surprise no one, now that they've been shut out of the playoffs twice the BIG thinks there needs to be expansion.

Honestly GoldenEye 007 is right nothing UCF could do matters, since it really takes the other P5 conferences not being good enough for the playoffs to truly move the needle. Problem is they will UCF for their purposes but in the end find a way to just make it easier to get multiple P5 schools from one conference in vs taking an undefeated G5 school

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ryseing! Your boys just hired Kurt Roper! What is Doeren thinking? I guess he can't do too much damage as QB coach.

New Podcast Information

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The new podcast is up. Subscribe in iTunes here or find The Decided Schematic Advantage in your podcast app of choice

Episode 69 - Watch out for Nice Surf Bros in Texas this Holiday Season

Bowl previews, Early Signing Day mentioned, Justin Fields sweepstakes is on, questions from listeners... Happy Holidays, everyone!

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Ryseing! Your boys just hired Kurt Roper! What is Doeren thinking? I guess he can't do too much damage as QB coach.

Apparently his QB development skills are fine- it's the whole playcalling thing he sucks at.

He got us the commit from the Elite 11 QB out of Colorado so I'm fine with it.

RoyLee

Aug 19, 2018
There is a dude on BYU that just had a perfect passing game:

eNgzLhY.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.