• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The U

• U

• U

• U

• U

• tUrnover chain!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
image0.jpg

(Pictured: Two men getting hyped about their upcoming neutral site game)

Welcome back!

This is the 2018 week 1 official thread for all things college football here on ResetERA. I know, talking football on a video game board. It's weird. But college football is (mostly) a wonderful sport, and it has a way of bringing people together from all walks of life, while then proceeding to tear them apart. Go on any team specific message board if you don't believe me. Which is why a video game forum is actually a great place to discuss college football, because Bama admin bias aside this is mostly neutral ground.

Speaking of Bama admins, let's all take a second and remember a special moment from last year's national championship.

Enough of all that. Let's get on to the games.
AP Poll said:
  1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. Georgia
  4. Wisconsin
  5. Ohio State
  6. Washington
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Miami
  9. Auburn
  10. Penn State
  11. Michigan State
  12. Notre Dame
  13. Stanford
  14. Michigan
  15. Southern Cal
  16. Texas Christian
  17. West Virginia
  18. Mississippi State
  19. Florida State
  20. Virginia Tech
  21. Central Florida
  22. Boise State
  23. Texas
  24. Oregon
  25. LSU

Games to Watch (all times in EST and rankings AP. "Vs" indicates neutral field)

Thursday, August 30
  • #21 UCF @ Connecticut, 7 PM- In this year's edition of the Civil Conflict, the defending national champions take on their hated rivals. Why is this game relegated to ESPNU?
  • Northwestern @ Purdue, 8 PM
Friday, August 31
  • Syracuse @ Western Michigan, 6 PM
  • San Diego State @ #13 Stanford, 9 PM
  • Colorado vs. Colorado State, 9:30 PM
Saturday, September 1

12 PM slate
  • Florida Atlantic @ #7 Oklahoma
  • Oregon State @ #5 Ohio State- You know why.
  • #23 Texas vs Maryland- Same here.
3:30 PM
  • #6 Washington vs #9 Auburn
  • #17 West Virginia vs Tennessee
  • Washington State @ Wyoming
  • #22 Boise State @ Troy, 6 PM
  • #14 Michigan @ #12 Notre Dame, 7:30 PM
  • Louisville vs #1 Alabama, 8 PM
Sunday, September 2

#8 Miami vs #25 LSU, 7:30 PM

Monday, September 3

#20 Virginia Tech @ #19 Florida State, 8 PM

Full schedules:
Week 1 FBS schedule
Games on TV

If you're looking for preview coverage, Bill Connelly is your man. His 130 team previews are here.

pac12afaterdark-e1505105220457.png

WTF is Pac-12 After Dark?

#pac12afterdark is where stranger things happen. It's where Washington State will upset USC one week, only to be stomped by Cal a few weeks later. It's where East Coast folks can find a game on after coming home from drinking, no matter how late. P12 After Dark gets batshit enough to deserve its own channel on our Discord. Simply put, P12 After Dark is magical. This EDSBS article, while from 2015, gives a good rundown. MWC games, specifically Hawaii, are brethren to this phenomenon and are thus included here.

This week's P12 After Dark action
  • Idaho @ Fresno State, 10 PM
  • UTSA @ Arizona State, 10:30 PM
  • BYU @ Arizona, 10:45 PM
  • Navy @ Hawaii, 11 PM
Housekeeping

Season pick'em (due by Saturday, noon EST)
Bucknuticus said:

Weekly pick'em (done as always by the wonderful Karl2177 )
Karl2177 said:
Pick 'ems Stuff:
Welcome to Week 1 of the CFB-ERA pick 'ems! So how this works is each week I will post 12 matchups and your goal is to pick the winner in each one and earn a point per correct answer. Each week one of the twelve games will have a chance to score additional points as marked by the triple star. Get within a 3 points of the total score and you'll earn an additional 3 points for the week. Don't worry if you miss a week here and there. Your lowest 3 weeks will be dropped. The person at the end of the regular season with the most points gets to name the bowl season thread. Any questions can be directed towards me. Good luck and have fun!

Week 0 results(don't contribute to the season totals): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/187j5UHdfoJT-1DVVbdtVhFXmZuYpMp82R53VfoJTcJs/edit?usp=sharing

Season standings: [will post after the first week]

Week 1 games:
SDSU at STAN
COLO vs CSU
ORST at OSU
FAU at OU
TEX vs MD
MISS vs TTU
WASH vs AUB
TENN vs WVU
NIU at IOWA
MICH at ND
MIAMI vs LSU
VT at FSU***

Week 1 form: https://goo.gl/forms/xJar67VzgGJDUi582
Just a quick heads up: the first 2 games on the weekly pick 'em are on Friday night. You can still submit after that, but you'll miss points on games that are submitted 15 minutes after kickoff.

Fantasy
Deacon said:
Well let's see what kind of traction we get.

https://college.fantasysports.yahoo...d8d1d38a4dd&soc_trk=lnk&ikey=db2a31626900b00f

Right now max teams is 20. Looking to for it to be 12 or 16 team and in keeping with the college theme having 4 divisions. Division winners advance but seeded by overall standings. Playoffs are weeks 11, 12 and 13 and will be 6 or 8 teams.

Scoring is default which looks to be same as default NFL if you're familiar with that side of fantasy.

Right now I set draft to be Wed. Aug 29th @ 8PM CDT in trying to get up and running for week one but can be changed. Can even forego week one if need be.

We definitely can just let me know what works. Deadline to include week 1 is 11:59 PM PT tomorrow. I'm fine with skipping week 1 as well and maybe doing the draft over the weekend too. Maybe help in getting a few more people involved. I'd like to at least get to 8 teams.

CFB Era's Official Podcast- The Decided Schematic Advantage- Records live in our Discord every Wednesday @ 9 PM EST
andycapps said:
The new podcast is now up. Subscribe in iTunes here or find The Decided Schematic Advantage in your podcast app of choice

Episode 53 - Give me Milksteak or give me Death

College football is back and we are pretty happy about it. Pay not attention to the fact that most of these games are pretty bad. We're just glad it's back. There are some good ones out there.

We're generally on Discord for live game chat- quote to find the link and join us!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping I won't be able to sum up another gator season with this image:

aa0.png

Er, I mean... Go Gators!

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
In for a lot of games this weekend. Probably be posting reactions mostly in the thread, as I can't point to Discord posts for ridiculous hindsight hot takes. :P

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
Just a quick heads up: the first 2 games on the weekly pick 'em are on Friday night. You can still submit after that, but you'll miss points on games that are submitted 15 minutes after kickoff.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Season prediction on page 1 so I can look back and laugh at it later.

Northwestern State - W

Clemson - L

ULM - W

Bama - L

Arkansas - lean W

Kentucky - W

South Carolina - lean L

Mississippi State - L

Auburn - L

Ole Miss - lean W

UAB - W

LSU - lean L

Guess I'm pessimistic, that looks like between 4 and 6 wins to be expected, with a "best of all possible worlds" outcome giving an 8-4 record.

Let's just make a bowl, Aggies!

This isn't real, right? Gotta be a knock on the 2017 UCF team...
Knock on 2016 Alabama.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Dread it. Run from it...y'all know the rest.

902792378.jpg.0.jpg

8608155.jpeg
Imma try like hell to win that 13 jersey in RBRs pickem. We got fucked last year when the marketing team bailed on the radio Helmet but Airwreck hooked me up with possibly my favorite Bama shirt ever. Was pretty cool of him and he was under no obligation.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Heading to College Station for the first time in a bit to watch my alma mater hopefully pull off the upset on the Aggies. Realistically I know it'll be tough but we also got a new head coach and the attitude the players have had has been said much than what I've seen when I was a student the last 4 years.

I'm honestly just looking forward to going to Kyle Field for the first time.

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Even worse for BYU fans (I am a partial BYU fan, via religion and family): BYU beat a shit Michigan team after Nebraska went for two and lost to "win" their national championship, while the Utes actually beat a few legit teams.

Exactly. In case anyone is forgetting, that Utah team had 4 wins over teams that finished in the top 25.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I edited out my Nebraska comment, since that was actually the 83 Husker team that went for 2 and lost. :P

I was looking at the 83 Husker team, by the way, whew! They beat #6 Penn St 44-6, Colorado 69-19 (including a 48 point 3rd quarter!), Syracuse 63-7, UCLA 42-10, Iowa St 72-29, Kansas 67-13, and Minnesota 84-13, (even though they had their 3rd stringers in for most of the second half!).

Holy shit, that team was an offensive and defensive powerhouse!

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Nebraska would probably still be in the B12 if they had made Neb/Oklahoma a protected crossover. It was always a mistake to separate the two teams and made it easier to jump away with 3 year breaks between meetups, even though we did end up lucking out and Nebraska's final B12 game was against Oklahoma.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Andycapps said this board needs more of a UCF presence, so I'll stop lurking.

I'll be able to catch the first half of the Civil ConFLiCT VI at the Houston airport.... when I get some wi-fi down in Peru, I better see that we've won the game or the whole vacation will be starting off on the wrong foot.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017

I'll be able to catch the first half of the Civil ConFLiCT VI at the Houston airport.... when I get some wi-fi down in Peru, I better see that we've won the game or the whole vacation will be starting off on the wrong foot.
Where are you headed in Peru and can I recommend you things to eat and drink when you are down there? :)

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Nebraska would probably still be in the B12 if they had made Neb/Oklahoma a protected crossover. It was always a mistake to separate the two teams and made it easier to jump away with 3 year breaks between meetups, even though we did end up lucking out and Nebraska's final B12 game was against Oklahoma.
The Big 12 rotation had you playing every other year. Full home- and home every four year cycle.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

We always need more of the co-national champs around.

The Austin Peay at UGA game probably won't amount to much, but one of the assistant coaches has a little girl that has had a really hard time in life. ESPN put up an article about the family. I'm not saying to give to them, but if you want to, the info is out there.

She's had many surgeries and is the only person in the US with the disease. This seems like a Tom Rinaldi segment waiting to happen.

opus

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, the time of year where I'm happy to have a TV at my desk and can shamelessly stream ESPN because I'm doing "competitive analysis" for work*

*also works for the Olympics, World Cup, random NBA games, Ellen

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
You know it's football season, when Radio interviews are bracketed by Craneworks advertisements.

Status
Not open for further replies.