• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
FXs8bVX.png

Zxe6RAT.png

N9D5iyV.png
NQQmPZP.png

Screen_Shot_2018_10_27_at_12.png
DqiY05RXQAARsLx.jpg

3B3A1747_002_.jpg

CFP Rankings
  1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. LSU
  4. Notre Dame
  5. Michigan
  6. Georgia
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Wazzu
  9. Kentucky
  10. Ohio State
  11. Florida
  12. UCF
  13. West Virginia
  14. Penn State
  15. Utah
  16. Iowa
  17. Texas
  18. Mississippi State
  19. Syracuse
  20. Texas A&M
  21. NC State
  22. Boston College
  23. Fresno State
  24. Iowa State
  25. Virginia
Games to Watch (all times in EST and rankings CFP)

Thursday, November 1

Temple @ #12 UCF, 7:30 PM

Friday, October 26

Pitt @ #25 Virginia, 7:30 PM

Saturday, October 27

Get yourself ready to watch CBS for nine straight hours. Go do something else during the noon slate because there is nothing worth watching.

3:30 PM

#6 Georgia @ #9 Kentucky
#14 Penn State @ #5 Michigan
#13 West Virginia @ #17 Texas

#4 Notre Dame @ Northwestern, 7:15 PM
#1 Alabama @ #3 LSU, 8 PM
#7 Oklahoma @ Texas Tech, 8 PM

Full schedules:
Week 10 FBS schedule
Games on TV

pac12afaterdark-e1505105220457.png

This week's P12 After Dark action:
  • Stanford @ Washington, 9 PM
  • USC @ Oregon State, 10 PM
  • BYU @ Boise State, 10:15 PM
  • San Diego State @ New Mexico, 10:15 PM
  • #23 Fresno State @ UNLV, 10:30 PM
  • Cal @ #8 Wazzu, 10:45 PM
  • Utah State @ Hawaii, midnight
Housekeeping

Weekly pick'em (done as always by the wonderful Karl2177 )
Pick 'em stuff:

Link to last week's results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-5Uftvj7AIYL9bdAyZUI4FRDcFi3dZ_Zq_P8CMtO--Y/edit?usp=sharing

This week's games:
FSU@NCST
KSU@TCU
WVU@TEX
IOWA@PUR
UGA@UK
BC@VT
PSU@MICH
UTAH@ASU
APP@CCU
ALA@LSU
STAN@WASH
USU@HAW

Link to form: https://goo.gl/forms/mu42cLzxGAgxhRHz2

CFB Era's Official Podcast- The Decided Schematic Advantage- Records live in our Discord every Wednesday @ 9 PM EST

The new podcast is up. Subscribe in iTunes here or find The Decided Schematic Advantage in your podcast app of choice

Episode 62 - Oh no, Maryland, what is you doing

We talk about the Cocktail Party where order was maintained, Maryland kept DJ Durkin and then fired him today, how Bama may be the most invincible team of all time and could never ever possibly lose, UGA travels to Lexington for the biggest game for Kentucky since Bear Bryant coached there in 1951. Tune in for a bonus episode with a special guest late Friday or in the morning on Saturday.

We're generally on Discord for live game chat- quote to find the link and join us!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Notre Dame plays with a chip on its shoulder the rest of the season and just destroys teams, but it probably won't happen because Brian Kelly is the coaching equivalent of a too-long nap.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
My main contribution to this thread is going to be a mascot getting hit in the nuts.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The new podcast is up. Subscribe in iTunes here or find The Decided Schematic Advantage in your podcast app of choice

Episode 62 - Oh no, Maryland, what is you doing

We talk about the Cocktail Party where order was maintained, Maryland kept DJ Durkin and then fired him today, how Bama may be the most invincible team of all time and could never ever possibly lose, UGA travels to Lexington for the biggest game for Kentucky since Bear Bryant coached there in 1951. Tune in for a bonus episode with a special guest late Friday or in the morning on Saturday.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I didn't expect Fresno State to be the second G5 team to get ranked. I thought Houston or Georgia Southern would be ahead of them.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of cause to fire him. The problem is that the Board of Regents went out of their way to try and show their wasn't because they wanted to keep him for some reason. So now they're on record saying that there isn't cause.

I feel like a certain wrestling tweet is appropriate for what the BoR did to themselves here.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course there was cause.

I'm glad they fucked themselves into a little corner here, though. They were really gonna retain him. Fucking hell.

I didn't expect Fresno State to be the second G5 team to get ranked. I thought Houston or Georgia Southern would be ahead of them.

They're just propping up Alabama's schedule.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I made my feeling re UMD in the previous thread. Shit still bothers me. Bothers me just as much that people on other sites felt like Durkin got railroaded by ESPN without any regard to the players, the situation, the environment the coach had allowed and created.

andycapps

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Yeah I think they wanted to keep him so the results of the investigation reflect that. Which means yeah, they probably fucked themselves.

His buyout is $5 million, plus his assistants. I'm assuming less than $10 million to clean house. Then you have to pay a new coaching staff. Plus potential litigation from Durkin after being retained and then fired the next day, plus litigation from McNair's parent.

Bucknuticus

UCF Super fan! Go Knights!
Oct 25, 2017
i read somewhere theyre going to be out liek 30 million when this is all said and done

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I live in DC. I had cowokers talking about how they don't understand how he got fired and that the death was not his fault. I hate people.

Shooter

Oct 28, 2017
You think Emory Jones is ready? Or you'd just rather take your lumps now and have him learn?

I don't think it can get much worse. I say see what you have in the kid. We're are still playing for a 10-2 record and a New Years bowl which is way more than what I expected at the beginning of the year. Even if Jones doesn't start, he 100% needs more playing time. Franks has proven time and time again he has an arm and nothing else.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it can get much worse. I say see what you have in the kid. We're are still playing for a 10-2 record and a New Years bowl which is way more than what I expected at the beginning of the year. Even if Jones doesn't start, he 100% needs more playing time. Franks has proven time and time again he has an arm and nothing else.

Seriously, this.

If he was fast, I'd err on keeping him in just for the option. But between his propensity for fumbles and the way he lumbers like giraffe, the guy is just not worth it.

I'd really like to see Jones get reps and work to a 40/60 playtime split with Franks by the season's end.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Local radio reporting that the BoR have been in a closed door meeting since 2 PM. Apparently a group of boosters expressed their displeasure with the way things were handled.

Exactly what the were upset about was not specified. Could be that he wasn't fired right away (least likely), could be the bad look for the college, could be that they'll now be expected to come up with the buyout money (most likely).

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Les would be great. It would probably take him a while to get the program fixed though. (Should he accept)

They rush well (#11 nationally) and play decent ST. Passing game is shite but mostly because of such few attempts. Defense definitely needs work but it's not like they're starting from scratch and D.C. area is solid for recruiting. I'd love to see him have a go.

BTM

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This Temple UCF game is pretty fun, especially if you love no defense

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
People wonder why UCF gets no respect...well when you play at home and give up 700 yards to an unranked Temple team knowing what small chance you have to make it into the top four is predicated on looking dominant...that's why.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
We're simply not as good as last year. We only got beat on defense the last two regular season games last year, after 10 and 11 weeks in a row without a bye. This Temple team hasn't lit anyone up and we're coming off a bye midway through the season. Pathetic showing on defense.

It feels like we're trying to hold together a ship coming apart at the seams. 21 in a row simply doesn't happen in G5 schools; its been a heck of a ride. Surviving is all we have left. If we can make it there, it sure would be nice to play a PAC team in the Fiesta, lol.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
People wonder why UCF gets no respect...well when you play at home and give up 700 yards to an unranked Temple team knowing what small chance you have to make it into the top four is predicated on looking dominant...that's why.

We never should have shifted the argument from rebeling against the system to being included in the system. Last year, it was easy to defend what we did because we were fighting for a system that would simply allow us to compete.

Us trying make the playoffs in the current system is like trying to fit a square peg in a circular hole that's half the size. It's not even worth the energy in arguing.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
We never should have shifted the argument from rebeling against the system to being included in the system. Last year, it was easy to defend what we did because we were fighting for a system that would simply allow us to compete.

Us trying make the playoffs in the current system is like trying to fit a square peg in a circular hole that's half the size. It's not even worth the energy in arguing.

I mean those things are inextricably linked. You can't rebel against the system, claim you are the champs, and then be surprised when people judge you accordingly. What UCF is doing is cool, but there is a context to it that makes reasonable discourse sometimes very difficult. I would totally be rooting for UCF to continue to win and see how long the streak can go, except for the growing number for Golden Knight fans that want UCF to be put in the same group as Alabama and Clemson - or at least want a chance to play them - despite the pretty easy to understand reason why that's just not gonna happen.

It sucks.

Last edited:

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean those things are inextricably linked. You can't rebel against the system, claim you are the champs, and then be surprised when people judge you accordingly. What UCF is doing is cool, but there is a context to it that makes reasonable discourse sometimes very difficult. I would totally be rotting for UCF to continue to win and see how long the streak can go, except for the growing number for Golden Knight fans that want UCF to be put in the same group as Alabama and Clemson - or at least want a chance to play them - despite the pretty easy to understand reason why that's just not gonna happen.

It sucks.

Did I type this?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
If this was a Big XII game, y'all would be jizzing yourselves over the offense.

FOH

21-0, Defending National Champs, fuck the system!

This tag is #FAKENEWS

Last edited:

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I mean those things are inextricably linked. You can't rebel against the system, claim you are the champs, and then be surprised when people judge you accordingly. What UCF is doing is cool, but there is a context to it that makes reasonable discourse sometimes very difficult. I would totally be rooting for UCF to continue to win and see how long the streak can go, except for the growing number for Golden Knight fans that want UCF to be put in the same group as Alabama and Clemson - or at least want a chance to play them - despite the pretty easy to understand reason why that's just not gonna happen.

It sucks.

We can be very reasonable about it. I'm not as bombastic about the subject as other UCF fans are, and I know how much prior threads have beat the topic to death so I'm not going to continue it. I'm just happy that the ride has lasted this long.

Besides, now my secondary team is about to have the fight of its life. It's been 6 years since I moved to this crappy state and somehow never left. I have got to see LSU beat Alabama once before I leave.

Considering he couldn't even get the name of our team right..... checks out. I kid, I kid.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
If this was a Big XII game, y'all would be jizzing yourselves over the offense.

FOH

21-0, Defending National Champs, fuck the system!

If this were Oklahoma giving up 40 to Iowa State we would be saying, "their offense is great but their defense is atrocious and I don't trust them against a team like Alabama, Clemson, Georgia..."

UCF, playing the 121st ranked Strength of Schedule, in a conference that at best has defenses in average as bad as the Big XII (that's probably being generous, I don't feel like compiling the data) has the 24th ranked Offensive Efficiency. You rank 5th in points. So your offense is somewhere between good and great, with a schedule making it difficult to truly discern which.

You have the 34th ranked defensive points per game and a 24th ranked defensive efficiency.

You are the 20th ranked team in overall efficiency. There are eight teams with a higher offensive and defensive efficiency than UCF, and everyone of those teams has played a much stronger Strength of Schedule. UCF is ranked 31st in FPI. UCF has a Strength of Record of 13.

I'm guessing nothing I've just said matters to you at all.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Can't wait till 2021 when UCF loses after winning 50+ straight and people go "Look! See! I told you they were frauds!"

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
I would imagine that another undefeated UCF season would either get the playoff committee to either think about an eight team playoff, or enact it.

So one way or another this is only a good thing, fans be dammed.

Status
Not open for further replies.