• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That analogy is flawed because driving requires continuous attention to a constantly changing situation. You can stay in a single spot if you're on a decent surface in her situation.

Your unwillingness to just admit you don't really know exactly what happened just so you can call her an idiot is something else.

And you don't think walking out along such a ledge requires constant attention?

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does it matter that she died trying to take a selfie? These kind of "teen/young adult falls while hiking/up somewhere high" is pretty much a standard of life. It's called being young and stupid. Stop trying to make this into some morality play where we all cluck our tongues and complain about "kids today".
It doesn't. It's a form of moral superiority people who "play it safe" have over people that don't. Like I said earlier, we've been slowly putting a greater value on safety. Look up videos of what kids would do unsupervised 100 years ago (aside from work in factories lol). There's an inherent increased valuation of human life now more than ever for a variety of reasons.

playgrounds_in_1900_1.jpg

Lunch-atop-a-skyscraper-c1932.jpg

7b6e7d04531c5b1d0db223355875ab6d.jpg

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
What a waste. All for a picture that people are going to look at for 2 seconds and forget about and move on to the next one. Young people (well people in general) have been doing dumb, dangerous shit for no good reason since probably forever, but this fascination with selfies is so strange. Like it drags the pure narcissism out of people. You can't go to any major tourist spots anymore without dozens of people positioning themselves, ignoring their surroundings and others, just to snap the perfect pic.
Couldn't have said it better myself

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because that makes a huge difference. It would be like saying driving whilst watching a screen and causing a car accident is the same as being in a car accident that wasn't your fault or was a genuine mistake.
If she were just walking up the rock to look at the nice view or take a landscape photograph there probably wouldn't be this weird impulse to denigrate her.....even though all of the possible motivations were needlessly dangerous.

Hiking is often not safe.
If we wanna flip this double-standard to "Anyone who dies while hiking is a moron" then I am okay with that.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Social media brings out the worst in people. I doubt any social media, when looked at a grand scale, is a net positive

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
It matters because its happening more and more these days.
Except its not. You are falling into that common fallacy that always happens with every fad. People aren't dying more because of social media or Pokemon Go or any other fad. It's just that the reason for said deaths have shifted and include those fads.

Oct 28, 2017
If she were just walking up the rock to look at the nice view or take a landscape photograph there probably wouldn't be this weird impulse to denigrate her.

If we wanna flip this double-standard to "Anyone who dies while hiking is a moron" then I am okay with that.
Yeah I was hiking at Castle Rock State Park in the Bay Area last summer. I was walking very mindfully when I suddenly stepped into some loose dirt. It caused my balance to shift right and I was already walking downhill so I started moving fast with momentum. I was really close to taking down a steep slope but I managed to grab a skinny tree and regain my balance. It was the kind of fall that could have been deadly but maybe not a guaranteed death.

If I fell and died, are people gonna call me some idiot?

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully I'll never die like this. I can say that with certainty. I would be so mad at myself on the way down...

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Social media brings out the worst in people. I doubt any social media, when looked at a grand scale, is a net positive
Except it doesn't? I mean I do some pretty dangerous mountain hikes with many dead people paving the way, and I don't take selfies. And if I did, so what? Hate, racism, violence, these are some bad things. A teen taking a picture of herself isn't.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
This is terrible. RIP to the girl :( I guess one of the advantages of being ugly like me is that I have never any desire to take my phone when outdoors to snap a selfie. I have only like 4 or 5 selfies on my phone, out of almost 2000 pics I have of shitty memes, book pages and family pics I take in safe places.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Why does it matter that she died trying to take a selfie? These kind of "teen/young adult falls while hiking/up somewhere high" is pretty much a standard of life. It's called being young and stupid. Stop trying to make this into some morality play where we all cluck our tongues and complain about "kids today".
This is how I feel. Every generation of kids faces new challenges / technology etc, and some of them die. Kids today are falling off cliffs taking selfies or crashing cars playing Pokemon Go. Sure. But they're dying less in drunk driving accidents. It's much more environmental than anything else. Make lots of prescription drugs available? More teens are going to overdose.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I saw this earlier in the week. It's a real shame someone this young died for the gram.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
unless she was literally hanging off the edge im not sure why people are so quick to call this girl an idiot??

like this looks like any old rock you'd take a selfie on during a hiking trip. struggling to see what's so dumb about trying to take a nice picture here

hiker-on-hawksbill-crag-at-whittaker-point-in-the-upper-buffalo-wilderness-J0C9XY.jpg

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Awful.

I would say I'm relatively fearless and I don't have a fear of heights but anytime I'm close to an edge of anything I get hyper paranoid and immediately start repeating to myself things like don't peer over the edge, don't take selfies anywhere near the edge, watch for unstable ground near the edge, etc. And it's for reasons like this.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
unless she was literally hanging off the edge im not sure why people are so quick to call this girl an idiot??
Because people are desperate to project their hatred of "instagram culture" by any means, including on a woman who just fell 100 feet to her death, insinuating she somehow deserved it for wanting to take a picture.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That why parents and adults exist! To help make risk assessments adolescent hormonal brains can't.
If you think the majority of adults are functional risk assessors, I have some news for you.
How hard is it to put up a fence?
Sadly, this thinking is ruining many of our natural vistas, the idiots keep ruining it for the responsible ones (not calling this girl an idiot, just in general).

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So an innocent girl dies and we got people running to call her an idiot. Like, how can this forum not tolerate simple shaming but we can straight up shame a young woman that died? And who cares if she did it for the selfie and she's a "narcissist", some of you act like she deserved to die.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
It adds an unnecessary layer of danger to an already dangerous activity. The number one rule when you're hiking is to always pay attention to your surroundings.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So an innocent girl dies and we got people running to call her an idiot. Like, how can this forum not tolerate simple shaming but we can straight up shame a young woman that died? And who cares if she did it for the selfie and she's a "narcissist", some of you act like she deserved to die.

"Act like she deserved to die".

Can you even read my posts? The only embarrassing thing in this topic is a few of you trying really hard to see what is not there.

It seems some of you would try to start an argument in an empty room.

Trying to take a selfie on the rock depicted in the OP is an idiotic move unless you are wearing support equipment. It's not worth risking your life for such a picture for uploading to the internet.

We should not be downplaying how serious and wreckless it is in order to ward off others trying to do the same. It is idiotic behaviour and I have already gave condolences and said I'm sorry for the family.

So yourself and others can lay off the desire to just start shit on the internet.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
She was standing on a high cliff, trying to take a picture of herself and fell off. What would you call it?

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Act like she deserved to die".

Can you even read my posts? The only embarrassing thing in this topic is a few of you trying really hard to see what is not there.

It seems some of you would try to start an argument in an empty room.

Trying to take a selfie on the rock depicted in the OP is an idiotic move unless you are wearing support equipment. It's not worth risking your life for such a picture for uploading to the internet.

We should not be downplaying how serious and wreckless it is in order to ward off others trying to do the same. It is idiotic behaviour and I have already gave condolences and said I'm sorry for the family.

So yourself and others can lay off the desire to just start shit on the internet.

I see what a user said a few posts above, people projecting their hate for social media culture and rushing to judge an innocent victim.

She was standing on a high cliff, trying to take a picture of herself and fell off. What would you call it?

I would say "What a senseless tragedy, RIP"

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You called a dead woman an idiot.
Then talk about safety instead of calling her an idiot. Are you not able to do that? If your interest is in public safety, you can have that conversation without mocking/insulting this woman.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
It is so sad, lose attention and balance for a second and it has fatal consequences.
I feel for her family and friends.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
taking a picture in a pretty common spot to take a picture?
A pretty common spot that's also the most dangerous.

We've seen and read about so many people falling off cliffs and other high risk heights while taking pictures that I think it's not unfair to call a person who falls a cliff an idiot.

I would say "What a senseless tragedy, RIP"
A senseless tragedy is a girl getting hit by a bus or the Notre Dame catching fire. A person falling off the edge of a cliff trying to take a picture of themselves is not a senseless tragedy.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
When I visited the redwoods I found a redwood cracked in half with another tree growong out of it. I climbed up the cracked top half to take a picture with the small tree. On the way down the cracked top half started sliding off the bottom half and I couldve fallen into the pile of large broken branches at the bottom. (Was like this |\ )

I probably wouldve gone out and taken a picture of me sitting on that ledge with my legs dangling off it lol

Im dumb

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How hard is it to put up a fence?
I cannot believe we have to put up fences because narcissistic people try their best to endanger themselves and potentially others because it's all about them and their image. But we should I guess. We complain about the government and the quote unquote 'nanny state', but this along with the helmet repeal movement (was that a decade ago? I found out about that last week, and surprise surprise, it originated from Florida) shows that we have some real need to babysit citizens cause clearly they can't do it themselves. Just leaving behind a mourning family and for what? A fucking Instagram pic? To look cool while not wearing a helmet? Jesus Christ. Same as the anti-vaxxers. We need to use a harsh hand on this shit.

I'll never mock common sense laws again since they apparently aren't common sense.
taking a picture in a pretty common spot to take a picture?
No it ain't. I mean it could be 'common' but it's clearly dangerous as fuck. That place already had someone else have an accident there before, taking a pic near a ledge.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
A pretty common spot that's also the most dangerous.

We've seen and read about so many people falling off cliffs and other high risk heights while taking pictures that I think it's not unfair to call a person who falls a cliff an idiot.

A senseless tragedy is a girl getting hit by a bus or the Notre Dame catching fire. A person falling off the edge of a cliff trying to take a picture of themselves is not a senseless tragedy.
look at how many people are up there in this picture. are they all idiots? this is clearly a common place for people to go. why is she suddenly a fucking moron for going there and trying to snap a nice photo?

635989925460740656-SNLBrd-10-24-2013-NewsLeader-1-C004-2013-10-23-IMG-Lead-jump-photo-1-1-PT5FHPLO-L306944356-IMG-Lead-jump-photo-1-1-PT5FHPLO.jpg

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I will never understand how this happens to people. When I was at the Cliffs of Moher a similar case happened a week before. When we got to the edge we took a picture but purposely stepped further away from edge. It was raining and their was mud and no guard rails. I would never get to the edge not looking towards it, just to have a picture.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
R.I.P sorry if this is off topic, but we had similar stories here of people falling to their deaths from the Grand Canyon from people taking selfies. People seriously need to be careful with selfies. They are not worth dying for.
Three people died at the Grand Canyon the week we were there this spring. I belive at least one was confirmed as a selfie.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
look at how many people are up there in this picture. are they all idiots? this is clearly a common place for people to go. why is she suddenly a fucking moron for going there and trying to snap a nice photo?

635989925460740656-SNLBrd-10-24-2013-NewsLeader-1-C004-2013-10-23-IMG-Lead-jump-photo-1-1-PT5FHPLO-L306944356-IMG-Lead-jump-photo-1-1-PT5FHPLO.jpg
And none of them are staring at themselves on the screen of a phone trying to take a pic of themselves. They seem aware of their surroundings. If you're staring at your own face on the face, you're not being aware.

Another thing, the lack of social ability by people nowadays cracks me up. I see it every time I'm at a nice place and see people straining to take a selfie. I usually ask, "You want me to take a picture for you?" So much easier for someone else to do it for you.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Because people are desperate to project their hatred of "instagram culture" by any means, including on a woman who just fell 100 feet to her death, insinuating she somehow deserved it for wanting to take a picture.

These things generally happen when someone values the meaningless likes they receive on social media over their own personal safety. It should serve as a warning to others so people don't die tragic deaths, not as a chance to grandstand about how people need to stop hating on 'instagram culture'. This behavior should rightly be viewed as dangerous and reckless unless you intend to encourage it.

Oct 27, 2017

like this looks like any old rock you'd take a selfie on during a hiking trip. struggling to see what's so dumb about trying to take a nice picture here

hiker-on-hawksbill-crag-at-whittaker-point-in-the-upper-buffalo-wilderness-J0C9XY.jpg
The person who took this photo smartly recognized that the beauty was nature and didn't feel the selfish need to insert themselves into it.

You're free to defend stupidity, but it doesn't make it any less stupid to put yourself in harms way simply because you can't stop turning the camera onto yourself as if people viewing your photo won't believe you were actually there. Newsflash, they dont care about you anyway unless they're you're family, and even then they probably dont care most of the time. Turn the camera around and aim it where it belongs. And then you'll have a memory for yourself.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
These things generally happen when someone values the meaningless likes they receive on social media over their own personal safety. It should serve as a warning to others so people don't die tragic deaths, not as a chance to grandstand about how people need to stop hating on 'instagram culture'. This behavior should rightly be viewed as dangerous and reckless unless you intend to encourage it.
You can encourage public safety without insulting someone who just died of an accident. Imagine if her damn family were to read people saying "oh what an idiot" or "what did she expect"? Even if you believe her judgement wasn't sound (none of us were there to witness it so we don't know), that is a far cry from her being an "idiot".
You're free to defend stupidity, but it doesn't make it any less stupid to put yourself in harms way simply because you can't stop turning the camera onto yourself as if people viewing your photo won't believe you were actually there. Newsflash, they dont care about you anyway unless they're you're family, and even then they probably dont care most of the time. Turn the camera around and aim it where it belongs. And then you'll have a memory for yourself.
Fucking ridiculous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.