• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
look at how many people are up there in this picture. are they all idiots? this is clearly a common place for people to go. why is she suddenly a fucking moron for going there and trying to snap a nice photo?

635989925460740656-SNLBrd-10-24-2013-NewsLeader-1-C004-2013-10-23-IMG-Lead-jump-photo-1-1-PT5FHPLO-L306944356-IMG-Lead-jump-photo-1-1-PT5FHPLO.jpg
I personally think everybody in that picture is an idiot. Pretty sure that thing should at least be fenced off or something.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The person who took this photo smartly recognized that the beauty was nature and didn't feel the selfish need to insert themselves into it.

You're free to defend stupidity, but it doesn't make it any less stupid to put yourself in harms way simply because you can't stop turning the camera onto yourself as if people viewing your photo won't believe you were actually there. Newsflash, they dont care about you anyway unless they're you're family, and even then they probably dont care most of the time. Turn the camera around and aim it where it belongs. And then you'll have a memory for yourself.
She's dead. What sense is there to attack her? This can happen to anyone.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't. It's a form of moral superiority people who "play it safe" have over people that don't. Like I said earlier, we've been slowly putting a greater value on safety. Look up videos of what kids would do unsupervised 100 years ago (aside from work in factories lol). There's an inherent increased valuation of human life now more than ever for a variety of reasons.

Lunch-atop-a-skyscraper-c1932.jpg

7b6e7d04531c5b1d0db223355875ab6d.jpg

I still don't get used to seeing these types of pics... my heart just drops. D:

Oct 27, 2017
I personally think everybody in that picture is an idiot. Pretty sure that thing should at least be fenced off or something.
Yep, wouldn't be caught anywhere near that.
She's dead. What sense is there to attack her? This can happen to anyone.

How is that attacking her? Putting your life at risk for a selfie is fucking stupid. And no, it can't happen to anyone because not everyone would risk their life for a couple thumbs up on Instagram.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
There was another one like this just a few days ago. Young woman very late on a Saturday night, apparently trying to get a better photo spot at the colleges clock tower, fell to her death. Such a waste.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
There was another one like this just a few days ago. Young woman very late on a Saturday night, apparently trying to get a better photo spot at the colleges clock tower, fell to her death. Such a waste.
I initially thought this thread was about that picture taking person falling.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
While this is tragic and awful for the person and their family it makes me so mad to see so many people dying over stupid shit like taking a selfie. No one fucking cares about your dumb ass pictures people. Stop doing stupid shit.

Oct 27, 2017
And last year 3 popular youtubers died at some spring in Canada when one of them got too close to the rapids and was swept over the edge of a waterfall. The other two died trying to rescue her.

2018_07_09_48976_1531121227._large.jpg

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God, deaths like these are so hard for me to read. It's hard not to imagine feeling my body lose its balance and then the realization and horror of what is happening and what would go on in those seconds of falling. I'm not really scared of heights, but the idea of falling to my death is one of the scariest ways to me.

It's terrible this is the price she paid for a silly mistake.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
unless she was literally hanging off the edge im not sure why people are so quick to call this girl an idiot??

like this looks like any old rock you'd take a selfie on during a hiking trip. struggling to see what's so dumb about trying to take a nice picture here

hiker-on-hawksbill-crag-at-whittaker-point-in-the-upper-buffalo-wilderness-J0C9XY.jpg
Taking a selfie on a ledge like that near the edge is pretty dumb. You're going to the edge of a cliff and turning away from it while putting focus on your phone.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
If you want a more accurate representation of what the crag looks like watch this video 50 seconds in.

The footing is uneven and the tip has a lower pocket that I'm sure is probably a popular spot to take a picture.

Also there's a lot of nope here for me

maxresdefault.jpg

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want a more accurate representation of what the crag looks like watch this video 50 seconds in.

The footing is uneven and the tip has a lower pocket that I'm sure is probably a popular spot to take a picture.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's dangerous to even go out there, no doubt, but the thing that makes people upset and even angered at a senseless loss of life is selfies. The mobile phone generation that have to be texting whilst driving or trying to upload to instagram whilst on a cliff edge looking at your phone.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
You can encourage public safety without insulting someone who just died of an accident. Imagine if her damn family were to read people saying "oh what an idiot" or "what did she expect"? Even if you believe her judgement wasn't sound (none of us were there to witness it so we don't know), that is a far cry from her being an "idiot".

She didn't deserve to die. I imagine the people calling her an idiot are trying to describe the feeling of consciously avoiding reckless behavior themselves but then watching others engage in it and pay the price, whatever that may be. We universally acknowledge something like drunk driving as being pure idiocy but putting yourself in a compromising position to get a selfie is less recognized as such and more of a grey area. More pushback needs to happen, starting with the companies that benefit from this. Nobody should be dying for likes.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She didn't deserve to die. I imagine the people calling her an idiot are trying to describe the feeling of consciously avoiding reckless behavior themselves but then watching others engage in it and pay the price, whatever that may be. We universally acknowledge something like drunk driving as being pure idiocy but putting yourself in a compromising position to get a selfie is less recognized as such and more of a grey area. More pushback needs to happen, starting with the companies that benefit from this. Nobody should be dying for likes.

Well said.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bet there are a million pictures of the exact same spot with the exact same type of selfie she was trying to get too... pretty sad to risk your life for something that probably already exists in a million different variations. RIP.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Just fucking use photoshop. No one cares. Dank memes go viral.

Idiot. Throwing away your life by chasing social media cred. Everyone thinks the dangerous selfie won't take their life, until it does. Be smarter people. Respect nature, it doesn't give a shit about you.

The poor family who have to deal with death so senseless.
if nobody cares do you really think people would be trying to do this stuff?

Some of y'all love to feel superior as often as possible.
right?

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
What if phone, but too much???

People die doing stupid reckless shit all the time. Look at mount everest for example, that's an entire industry made out of idiots putting themselves (and others) at risk for pretty much no reason.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
This story is so sad. People find joy in taking pictures of themselves in places they've been, I don't see the point in calling her out for it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
"Dying for likes", dude you don't even know if that's the case. Some people just want to take a picture. You're ascribing something to this woman that may not even be true. I take selfies sometimes because I just want to share what I'm doing with a few friends, not everyone is on some quest to get likes on social media. And if someone wants to describe avoiding reckless behavior, they can do so without mocking a dead woman. Usually that shit is frowned on here, I don't know why it's different in this case.

All the people who want to call her stupid or an idiot, would you be prepared to say that directly to the faces of her family? Maybe you would, but I would hope not.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
This is why I freak out whenever my kids are anywhere near a high ledge they can fall from. Are they likely to fall if I keep a close eye on them? Probably not, but some risk is there regardless and I don't see any point in putting them and myself in such situations.

That said sometimes you can't avoid it. My brother for example took a group of exchange students from Africa to a popular natural waterfall/pool. And one of the students got caught in a dangerous rip current that pulled him under and trapped him beneath the water. My brother almost died trying to save him (someone else pulled him out), but the exchange student ended up drowning. They weren't able to pull him out of the water fast enough.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
What if phone, but too much???

People die doing stupid reckless shit all the time. Look at mount everest for example, that's an entire industry made out of idiots putting themselves (and others) at risk for pretty much no reason.
That's not the same thing. Dangerous != Reckless. I don't think someone wanting to climb Everest is an idiot. It's dangerous, yes, they accept the risks and they mitigate the risks with guides, gear, training, etc. in pursuit of personal challenge and life goal. Reckless would be risking your life while not concentrating because you're focused on something else, for something as inconsequential as a couple of Instagram likes.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This stuff is so crazy. You're not impressing anyone... why risk your life over a pointless selfie that will get a few likes on IG and then be forgotten. Threw her life away for nothing.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

maxresdefault.jpg

good fucking grief. No no no

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You say that now, but just wait until you get into some freak accident without you even thinking about it. Many people that are well intelligent get into these accidents every day.
book smarts (intelligence) is different than street smarts (common sense)

I have met countless people in my life who have the first, but not the second (although of course it's possible to have both)

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Selfies are dumb.
Dangerous selfies are beyond stupid.

RIP to the person who did this, hopefully others learn from this.

Oct 27, 2017
You say that now, but just wait until you get into some freak accident without you even thinking about it. Many people that are well intelligent get into these accidents every day.
Is it an accident if you willfully put yourself in a dangerous position and then double down on it by not giving 100 percent of your attention to the dangerous situation you've put yourself in?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Not everyone takes pictures to impress other people. You have no idea if that was her motivation.
There's a slim chance that wasn't the motivation. The story in the OP references social media, and other articles about this have said she was taking a photo for Instagram, but it's possible they're all wrong. Do you have any idea what her motivation for the photo was?

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
My uncle used to love doing wheelies on his motor bike. My aunt would constantly tell him that he was an idiot and to think about his family. Do you know what happened? He eventually tried one got hit by a car and died. Left 2 kids and a wife. Do you know what my aunt said at the funeral?

That he was stupid and died for a stupid reason. Everyone was sad that he passed but it didnt stop the fact that it was stupid. 10 years later we still grieve for him and at the same time say how stupid and worthless the death was.

Same thing here. Its sad she has pasted but for sure it was stupid and worthless.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I'm not a fan of human vanity, but to each their own. I'm not gonna go on a crusade about it like others in this thread.
Same reason I don't like reaction videos. Just not interested in other people like that.
Well current trends notwithstanding, it's a quick way for solo travelers to take a shot in front of landmarks, not necessarily about vanity.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
There's a slim chance that wasn't the motivation. The story in the OP references social media, and other articles about this have said she was taking a photo for Instagram, but it's possible they're all wrong. Do you have any idea what her motivation for the photo was?
I don't know what her motivation was enough to speculate on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.