Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
It amazes me how much of the movie and comic media is built on regurgitating and repurposing the same information.

Jul 4, 2018
They need somewhat who is passionate and understands the characters yet who also has worked with Hollywood talent. Feige came through producing X-men and a bunch of other pre MCU Marvel films (a lot of which sucked) and learnt the trade that way.

The solution for Warner would be to poach a top end MCU executive who happens to love DC but I can't see that happening, they are really in a tricky place if they want a cinematic universe of the same quality as the MCU (which is clearly who they are chasing at the moment)

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I don't really subscribe to the idea that the only way to properly build an interconnected movie universe is to release a pile of solo films first to establish every character. Ensemble cast films with a dozen characters mostly played by popular actors have existed for decades. I'm positive you can start with a team-up movie, then have each of the characters go their separate ways and dive deeper into them in solo films. In fact, Aquaman and Wonder Woman are probably the best movies in the DCEU and both of them were released after the characters first appeared in a team-up. And both were huge commercial successes too.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
This at least sounds interesting though I have little faith in them sticking the landing on any of this. The Batman should be good at least.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I don't even think they need to build it up like Marvel, they just need good movies with competent scripts and engaging characters.

And no, I don't think Snyder is the guy for that job.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I can already imagine a couple (who are not nerds like us) asking a ticket seller about a future DC movie:

"What's this one about? I see Batman on the poster."
"Yeah, this is about Batman and Flash stuck on an alien planet helping out the Green Lanterns."
"Oh, I liked Pattinson's Batman."
"Oh no, this is a different Batman. This movie is set in the prime universe where Affleck is Batman. Pattinson Batman is set in the universe with Matt Damon's Flash. Also not to be confused with Phoenix's Joker, which is set in the universe with Timothée Chalamet's Batman."
"...that sounds confusing. Let's just watch something else dear..."

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I can already imagine a couple (who are not nerds like us) asking a ticket seller about a future DC movie:

"Yeah, this is about Batman and Flash stuck on an alien planet helping out the Green Lanterns."
"Oh no, this is a different Batman. This movie is set in the prime universe where Affleck is Batman. Pattinson Batman is set in the universe with Matt Damon's Flash. Also not to be confused with Phoenix's Joker, which is set in the universe with Timothée Chalamet's Batman."
More like

"This movie has Batman in it. I want to see it."
"Me too."

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
More like

"This movie has Batman in it. I want to see it."
"Me too."

I have a low opinion of the masses. But also, you'd be surprised by how many just go to the cinema and figure out what to watch after they get there. The movie's just an excuse to hang out with friends. (and talk through the movie, God I don't miss cinemas...)

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

this is like a bit from the 1980s

avengers are mainstream, times have changed

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really subscribe to the idea that the only way to properly build an interconnected movie universe is to release a pile of solo films first to establish every character. Ensemble cast films with a dozen characters mostly played by popular actors have existed for decades. I'm positive you can start with a team-up movie, then have each of the characters go their separate ways and dive deeper into them in solo films. In fact, Aquaman and Wonder Woman are probably the best movies in the DCEU and both of them were released after the characters first appeared in a team-up. And both were huge commercial successes too.

I agree.

I think Marvel has skewed people's perception. They had to build popularity - the most popular character they had was the Hulk.

When Marvel built popularity with characters like Iron-Man they didn't have to take that approach - Civil War is an example of that (primarily with Black Panther, but also Spider-Man).

On DC's side they had Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman (globally recognized), even Aquaman (being a member of the Super Friends). There's an ongoing Flash TV show. Aquaman being a billion dollar movie franchise validates their approach, and if Justice League wasn't botched they would have probably had a moderate success with a Cyborg movie (whereas a Cyborg standalone before Justice League had no chance).

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Ugh. I hate those "cinematic universes". I have neither time, nor desire to watch all your movies (let alone TV shows) to keep up with the story.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
DCEU is such a mess, im a massive nerd & even i don't know what is canon or not, is the suicide squad a sequel or reboot? is WW84 an alternate timeline?
Either way, if one of these projects underperforms, Warner Bro's will just restart it again, there seems to be little reason to get invested in this universe.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Ugh. I hate those "cinematic universes". I have neither time, nor desire to watch all your movies (let alone TV shows) to keep up with the story.
"Wait when did Suprememan get a talking dog best friend and who are these other people?"

"Oh that happened in the Powerlad series when they met the Justice Squad."

"But I don't like Powerlad and don't care about the Justice Squad."

*shrug*

The worst thing about comics brought to the big and little screen. Thanks marvel. Fuck you WB.

Last edited: