• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Did you like the part where Leia floated through space like the Silver Surfer? Apparently being force sensitive means you can survive the vacuum of space.

You're changing the topic to discuss your personal opinion on specific scenes in the movies.

That wasn't the topic you originally brought up and it's not what I replied to.

Your opinion on that scene is unrelated to what you originally said.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean yea, they're two different people from two completely different walks of hollywood so they inherently had different ideas about the sequel. HOWEVER, JJ's thoughts about where to go after TFA is exactly the issue, nothing about that should've ever been relevant. It should've been aboiut where to go after TLJ and ONLY TLJ. And honestly, it's quite telling that JJ and Chris didn't work as closely with the LF story group as RIan reportedly did. And ofc there are other factors outside of their control that affected the film too, namely, Carrie Fisher's death and the shorter production cycle as a result of the release date.

Again, this has no bearing on whether or not the majority of people liked the film. And yes, being force sensitive does indeed mean that you can survive the vacuum of space, Leia wasn't the first time.

SW is not a documentary.

Ironically, those scene of characters being in space are fairly scientifically accurate.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
You're changing the topic to discuss your personal opinion on specific scenes in the movies.

That wasn't the topic you originally brought up and it's not what I replied to.

Your opinion on that scene is unrelated to what you originally said.
You said creative decisions in TLJ were only hated by a minority. Where are your receipts to back that up?

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
You're allowed to blame JJ and Chris Terrio for not sticking the landing and doing their own thing with a revision of a script from the former director. TFA--TLJ WAS cohesive. TROS was and is the only film with major issues with coherence and themes.
I'm allowed to blame her for allowing the trilogy to go into production without a solid plan. What a clusterfuck.

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is going on with Lucasfilm right now? I mean, whether its Kathleen Kennedy or whoever is in charge of the stories they're pumping out they need to get their act together. This really shouldn't be that hard to come up with some decent Star Wars stories that don't just dredge up the worst of the old EU.

I just don't get it. How can Disney be screwing this up so badly?

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I really think it's the chemistry between her and Iger. Feige doesn't seem to be pushed to hit dates like Kennedy is and in general seems like he's allowed to do what he wants whereas there are stories of Iger not liking the creative of TROS and not budging on dates. If he was just a little bit more flexible, JJ would've done the whole trilogy

I don't think its true--Feige and Co have really just been absurdly good at what they do. They have had an incredible string of either skill or luck in getting relatively unknown talent to far exceed expectations. In the case of the Russo's he worked them to absolutely absurd levels that I don't think JJ or Rian would have been happy/successful with under KK.

Feige and co have managed to knock it out of the park to absurd levels with a fairly wide net of relative unknowns. Part of that's probably having a good eye for talent, the other part is there's something clearly being done at a very high level to help these guys out and provide consistency from product to product.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm allowed to blame her for allowing the trilogy to go into production without a solid plan
If you're ignorant about film history or filmmaking in general then sure yea blame her for not hampering the creatives into a set plot that can't be deviated from because that never has any consequences for storytelling and ofc most writers in hollywood say that planning is the most important aspect of writing and nothing else.

You said creative decisions in TLJ were only hated by a minority. Where are your receipts to back that up?
The critical acclaim.
The audience acclaim.
The box office
The amount of awards noms and wins.
The bluray sales which came quite a long time after the film's release.

By every verifiable metric we can conclude that the film was a massive success that resonated with the majority of people who watched it.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
If you're ignorant about film history or filmmaking in general then sure yea blame her for not hampering the creatives into a set plot that can't be deviated from because that never has any consequences for storytelling and ofc most writers in hollywood say that planning is the most important aspect of writing and nothing else.

The critical acclaim.
The audience acclaim.
The box office

By every verifiable metric we can conclude that the film was a massive success that resonated with the majority of people who watched it.
I said it was a competent film with some questionable creative decisions that were reviled by fans. None of what you posted refutes that.

The critical and financial success, along with the original CinemaScore. If you're going to try and argue that the majority of people hated TLJ, it's going to be hard to take any argument you have seriously.
Except I didn't make that argument. Where did I say majority of fans hated TLJ?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
said it was a competent film with some questionable creative decisions that were reviled by fans. None of what you posted refutes that.
By a minority of fans, a very very loud minority. Hell, most of the reaction to TROS is fueled specifically because it ignores the messages of the last jedi. Especially the most powerful message of all.
739ee99ffbfd02a80b4151aaa9d390aac275c1f2.jpg

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
"It is unclear why scripts became an issue so late in the process. One source said the Kenobi story treaded similar ground as Mandalorian, seeing the Jedi master lending a protective hand to a young Luke and perhaps even a young Leia, perhaps mirroring how the Mandalorian took Baby Yoda under his protective custody."

Yikes

giphy.gif

Not like this :(

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019

The critical acclaim.
The audience acclaim.
The box office

Lol asking the creatives to create a well thought out plan isn't hampering shit. But go ahead and make excuses for piss poor management.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel Studios: We have 15 different TV shows in development and every one of them will likely make it to screen without significant issues

Lucasfilm: We had to sacrifice a cow in a Satanic ritual to ensure we could release the Mandalorian without accidentally nuking downtown Los Angeles

Dec 12, 2017

Maybe a movie instead?

Ugh. Fuck that shit. It would be better as a weekly episodic endeavor, imo.

Marvel Studios: We have 15 different TV shows in development and every one of them will likely make it to screen without significant issues

Lucasfilm: We had to sacrifice a cow in a Satanic ritual to ensure we could release the Mandalorian without accidentally nuking downtown Los Angeles
No lies detected.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Lol asking the creatives to create a well thought out plan isn't hampering shit.
Yes it is. You're literally proposing for them to do something that rarely happens in storytelling for very very valid reasons.
Storytelling is at it's best when it's organic and things that weren't even originally intended by the creators start to happen because it's best for the story.
main-qimg-147f877850558b058a574a29b531b37d

image.jpg

Otherwise you may arrive at a conclusion that feels a lot less satisfying because it was so set in stone and written before the rest of the story. Stories often evolve as the continue, with the tone and original ideas shifting to again, accommodate what's best for the story, Like do you think they started CW with the idea that Ahsoka would not only survive the events but also the events of the OT itself? No, ofc not, but that's where her story ended up going.

It just occurred to me that this obsession with the idea of a "solid plan" comes from theory culture, which always sets out to figure out the story before we get it. All of the theories for what the story would be post TFA were rote and derivative. People thought they figured it out. TLJ came out and actually gave us an interesting narrative with something to say. People then felt that there was deviation from a "plan." I.e. Their boring ass fan fiction

Last edited:

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what the fuck is going on at lucasfilm pretty much every project so far had setback or massive change midpoint...

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

Facts. The Marvel shows are even wrapping earlier than expected! The original date for WandaVision was 2021 and now we're likely getting it this year.

Meanwhile, Lucasfilm is flailing around.

JFunky

Oct 27, 2017
California
Man Lucasfilm seems like it's just a mess behind the scenes. This show should be an easy slam dunk for them, yet just like every other project except for TLJ and (I think) The Mandolorian here we are with major problems again. It's getting harder and harder to not jump on the Kennedy needs to go bandwagon.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just realized that because they scrapped everything from this version of the show, that means we're not getting Jar Jar back.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The suits that chose "The Rise of Skywalker" over "Duel of the Fates" will be making changes on the script...

Ain't that lovely?

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
Almost all major SW projects need to go through re-hire/re-work/re-shoot process nowadays....this is very very bad

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
If they're only just realizing now that it was too similar to Mandalorian when the scripts have been done for so long, that's insane

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
LF is reeling because TLJ didn't meet BO expectations and they've been desperate to stop the bleeding ever since. Solo compounded that fear significantly further. The Mandalorian was fine because it had a bunch of all-stars working on it. KK panicked and turned to JJ hoping he'd bring some magic to IX despite a rushed production but it didn't work--still, they managed to avoid disaster with what looks to be 1.1 billion minimum which is good enough to shrug and move on.

Star Wars will settle in but they need a moment to reset expectations and figure things out.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LF is reeling because TLJ didn't meet BO expectations and they've been desperate to stop the bleeding ever since. Solo compounded that fear significantly further. The Mandalorian was fine because it had a bunch of all-stars working on it. KK panicked and turned to JJ hoping he'd bring some magic to IX despite a rushed production but it didn't work--still, they managed to avoid disaster with what looks to be 1.1 billion minimum which is good enough to shrug and move on.

Star Wars will settle in but they need a moment to reset expectations and figure things out.

If TLJ didn't meet expectations, TROS certainly didn't either. Internal industry expectations pegged it at grossing at least $1.3 billion, which would match the "polarizing" and "controversial" TLJ; it's not even going to come within spitting distance of that figure.

And the problems unfortunately began long before TLJ. Both TFA and Rogue One were a complete shitshow behind the scenes, but Disney did a good job of covering it up and their financial success helped smooth over the controversy.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I like how Tatooine has gone from the armpit of the galaxy that one can hide and escape to the Bright Center of the Universe where everything happens and everyone famous and important is from/visits at least once.
It's like vacationing in Florida!

Listen, I love Ewan in the role, but nobody except Alex Guinness could maintain such consummate professionalism as an actor in the face of their overwhelming disdain for the material.
Yeah no doubt, Ewan was a worthy successor but Guinness is the reason why Obi-Wan is a revered character at all. All of his lines in the OT are fantastic.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
LF is reeling because TLJ didn't meet BO expectations and they've been desperate to stop the bleeding ever since.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi grossed $620.2 million in the United States and Canada, and $712.6 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $1.333 billion.[4] It had a worldwide opening of $450.8 million, the seventh-biggest of all time, including $40.6 million that was attributed to IMAX screenings, the second biggest for IMAX.[102][103] It was estimated that the film would need to gross $800 million worldwide to break even;[104] Deadline Hollywood calculated the net profit of the film to be $417.5 million, when factoring together all expenses and revenues, making it the most profitable release of 2017.[2]

If you'd said TROS didn't meet expectations, you'd absolutely be correct. This statement is just baffling

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Ironically, those scene of characters being in space are fairly scientifically accurate.

I mentioned this way back in another thread, and was shot down. So many people still believe the traditional hollywood depiction of the vacuum of space being deep freeze instakill is accurate, even though its not. If you somehow end up in the vacuum of space without a suit, you'll die from the air inside you expanding and rupturing your lungs long before you'll freeze to death... unless you immediately exhale, as Titan A.E. - of all movies - correctly depicted.

Last edited:

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is. You're literally proposing for them to do something that rarely happens in storytelling for very very valid reasons.
Storytelling is at it's best when it's organic and things that weren't even originally intended by the creators start to happen because it's best for the story.
main-qimg-147f877850558b058a574a29b531b37d

image.jpg

Otherwise you may arrive at a conclusion that feels a lot less satisfying because it was so set in stone and written before the rest of the story. Stories often evolve as the continue, with the tone and original ideas shifting to again, accommodate what's best for the story, Like do you think they started CW with the idea that Ahsoka would not only survive the events but also the events of the OT itself? No, ofc not, but that's where her story ended up going.

It just occurred to me that this obsession with the idea of a "solid plan" comes from theory culture, which always sets out to figure out the story before we get it. All of the theories for what the story would be post TFA were rote and derivative. People thought they figured it out. TLJ came out and actually gave us an interesting narrative with something to say. People then felt that there was deviation from a "plan." I.e. Their boring ass fan fiction

Shit, somebody tell Kevin Feige he's been doing it wrong this whole time.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Shit, somebody tell Kevin Feige he's been doing it wrong this whole time.
🙄

The reality of Marvel movie production is that it's not all "planned" with a set in stone conclusion:

It's fucking astonishing that this is how people think Marvel movies are made.

Marvel movies are as messy as anything else. By "careful planning", they have a scheduled release date and Feige is making sure they have contracts ironed out for the availability of any appearing/recurring characters. Maybe a villain is known in advance. But James Gunn isn't making Guardians 1 knowing what they're doing with Thanos 4 years later. Hell, for being the long-tail villain, Thanos is a non-entity until Infinity War. If these movies were so well planned, you'd think they would have done something to set him up better. No one when making Winter Soldier is thlnking "man, I can't wait for Spider-Man in the next Cap movie!"

The writers behind Infinity War had to be told from Taika Watiti and Hemsworth "oh, Thor is funny now." There was no "plan" for that. The producer on Black Panther had to tell them "oh, Shuri is gonna be big, make sure you include her." This isn't careful planning, it's a bunch of people working out of the same offices and with the same bosses just openly communicating and sharing resources because the movies necessitate it.

Other than obvious planting of seeds like Bucky being introduced to become Winter Soldier, they're making this shit up as they go along like anyone else. Hell, the Russos were apparently the ones who told Feige that Cap 3 should be Civil War because BvS had just been announced, and they had to up their game. But that doesn't mean anyone is knowingly planting seeds for a time-travel movie years in advance.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Kennedy has no idea what to do, seems to me she thought she could actually coast her way to a healthy franchise through OT nostalgia alone....

And I hope I'm wrong because no one is that stupid.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any project outside of the Mandalorian and Clone Wars (as far as we know) that KK hasn't swooped in and hit the reset button on? Please let this woman be done with Star Wars already and give Lucasfilm to people who understand the series already.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
He's doing something right. The MCU has maintained narrative and tonal consistency over 20+ films while Star Wars can't make it past two.

All I'm saying is that we have two people working for the same company managing two massive cinematic universes, and one is doing a demonstrably better job of it.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pleaase rework them as long as fucking needed and plan for a general treatment of at least three fucking series.

I'm tired of one of the biggest franchises in history getting amateur hour efforts.

"It is unclear why scripts became an issue so late in the process. One source said the Kenobi story treaded similar ground as Mandalorian, seeing the Jedi master lending a protective hand to a young Luke and perhaps even a young Leia, perhaps mirroring how the Mandalorian took Baby Yoda under his protective custody."

Yikes

Like, this shit?
Sounds like amateur 102.

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
He's doing something right. The MCU has maintained narrative and tonal consistency over 20+ films while Star Wars can't make it past two.

All I'm saying is that we have two people working for the same company managing two massive cinematic universes, and one is doing a demonstrably better job of it.
Yeah anyone that claims they're comparably managed are out of their minds.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
He's doing something right.
He's communicating with several other creatives and letting them do their own thing only planting the tiniest of seeds in the post credits sequences of films that tend to have self contained narratives. It has not been a completely smooth ride whatsoever and the only reason it's worked out is due to express communication between the creatives as when making an avenger's film it all comes to a head. It is NOT the result of a grand plan that didn't have major changes along the way to the destination, (i.e., the tone of the Thor movies literally changing from serious to comedic because of the second film's poor reception). Even Thanos, the main villain who was always in the background, quietly had his entire motivation changed as he was majorly rewritten to be somewhat sympathetic when it was time for him to be in the spotlight, retroactively making his smirk in response to the word odd and out of place, as the character Death seemingly does not exist in the MCU.

If ANYTHING, the MCU is literally an exact example of what I stated.

"Stories often evolve as they continue, with the tone and original ideas shifting to accommodate what's best for the story."

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Take your time, there's plenty of new stuff to watch on Disney Plus.

Oh wait...