• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
You:

So you weren't implying that more fans than not hated the creative decisions? So you agree it was a minority of fans?

You're a bit all over the place.
Fair enough. I don't have any reliable data to prove exactly how many fans were pissed off.

I would say a competent movie like TLJ with a few stupid parts, is still preferable to a mess like ROS which is fucked in nearly every conceivable way.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
If you'd said TROS didn't meet expectations, you'd absolutely be correct. This statement is just baffling

TLJ missed expectations at the BO. People are too defensive about this film. 700 million drop is massive. TFA was an event film, 2 billion wasn't realistic, and heck 1.6 would be optimistic, however, 1.3 billion was a greater drop than many online generally expected.

1.3 billion is a great number, I'm not taking anything away from it, but I haven't seen anything that would indicate it met/exceeded expectations, and KK and LF's reactions since then have only further proven that. The random "END OF THE SKYWALKER SAGA" marketing scheme was so out of left field--it was a sign of stress.

If TLJ didn't meet expectations, TROS certainly didn't either. Internal industry expectations pegged it at grossing at least $1.3 billion, which would match the "polarizing" and "controversial" TLJ; it's not even going to come within spitting distance of that figure.

And the problems unfortunately began long before TLJ. Both TFA and Rogue One were a complete shitshow behind the scenes, but Disney did a good job of covering it up and their financial success helped smooth over the controversy.

Well yea, I know TRoS didn't meet expectations. It's always a battle with people here about this shit. I don't care about JJ vs RJ.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
He's communicating with several other creatives and letting them do their own thing only planting the tiniest of seeds in the post credits sequences of films that tend to have self contained narratives. It has not been a completely smooth ride whatsoever and the only reason it's worked out is due to express communication between the creatives as when making an avenger's film it all comes to a head. It is NOT the result of a grand plan that didn't have major changes along the way to the destination, (i.e., the tone of the Thor movies literally changing from serious to comedic because of the second film's poor reception). Even Thanos, the main villain who was always in the background, quietly had his entire motivation changed as he was majorly rewritten to be somewhat sympathetic when it was time for him to be in the spotlight, retroactively making his smirk in response to the word odd and out of place, as the character Death seemingly does not exist in the MCU.

If ANYTHING, the MCU is literally an exact example of what I stated.

"Stories often evolve as they continue, with the tone and original ideas shifting to accommodate what's best for the story."
Honestly I'm not that invested in this particular line of argument, I suspect you're right about the process itself.

The broader concern is what comes out as the end product. The MCU feels like it's following a grand design, regardless of what happened behind the scenes. The sequel trilogy as a whole could not feel more disjointed.

I choose to pin the credit and the blame on the managers of those respective brands. If you don't then we have a fundamental disagreement, and you must think that Kevin Feige is the luckiest producer to ever walk the face of the Earth.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
The Kathleen Kennedy hate continues to be obnoxious and baffling. Has everything worked smoothly? Of course not. Has she overseen some garbage? Yes (tRoS).

She has also produced an excellent film, TLJ. And most of you that hate that film also like the Mandalorian, which you conveniently give her zero credit for.

We literally have people in here posting that her not liking a script means it must be great. Kennedy, a producer on films such as ET, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Munich, Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, etc. apparently knows nothing of storytelling.

She has made mistakes but the amount of hate she receives is ridiculous.
Did she not produce TFA? I only ask because that movie always seems to be forgotten when people are killing Kennedy or when they're killing JJ. I thought that movie reviewed just as good if not better than TLJ but it never gets mentioned.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Did she not produce TFA? I only ask because that movie always seems to be forgotten when people are killing Kennedy or when they're killing JJ. I thought that movie reviewed just as good if not better than TLJ but it never gets mentioned.
For whatever success or quality these movies had is equally Kathleen Kennedy and the directors of these projects fault; as well as many other executives up the long chain all the way up to Bob Iger.

This doesn't make them bad people, or anything of that sort (other stuff can, but we're talking about creative heads here). There's really no good reason to play the blame game in projects where multiple people are in charge of making these films happen.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I...dont understand. The script is the first thing to get it done, why cancel it so late in the process?

dancingcactus

Oct 28, 2017
Feel bad for Deborah. I hope she stays on. Also I feel that the main series (sequels) has lacked creativity compared to the so called 'side quests'. I definitely love Rogue One and The Mandalorian much more than the recent sequels.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I'm not that invested in this particular line of argument, I suspect you're right about the process itself.

The broader concern is what comes out as the end product. The MCU feels like it's following a grand design, regardless of what happened behind the scenes. The sequel trilogy as a whole could not feel more disjointed.

I choose to pin the credit and the blame on the managers of those respective brands. If you don't then we have a fundamental disagreement, and you must think that Kevin Feige is the luckiest producer to ever walk the face of the Earth.
Kevin Feige has the benefit of collaborating with creatives on loose adaptations of existing material. There are decades upon decades of Marvel comics that they pull storylines from. LF has no such resource, as the old EU was discontinued and not just that, most of it was terrible material that would not work at all for film. Hell TROS is the closest example of that.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kevin Feige has the benefit of collaborating with creatives on loose adaptations of existing material. There are decades upon decades of Marvel comics that they pull storylines from. LF has no such resource, as the old EU was discontinued and not just that, most of it was terrible material that would not work at all for film. Hell TROS is the closest example of that.

Ironically they actually have a good, late EU source they could draw from for this show - the novel that was simply titled Kenobi.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I mean... good? Like, if the scripts suck, isn't it better that everyone goes away while they're made to not-suck?

Better than filming garbage scripts.

Last edited:

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
KK and LF's reactions since then have only further proven that. The random "END OF THE SKYWALKER SAGA" marketing scheme was so out of left field--it was a sign of stress.

I disagree that this had as much to do with TLJ as you think, especially when Solo happened right after it and actually Did outright bomb. That was something worth being scared about, not Rian's film succeeding and thus needing to be blamed forever for everything by the insane part of the fanbase

Solo proved the Star Wars brand name wasn't as strong as expected, and when the public thought something didn't need to be made, they actually didn't need to see it, even if it had Star Wars in the title

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Kevin Feige built the MCU with a box of scraps and turned B-tier (and under) superheroes into household names. And puts out multiple films per year, to ever-increasing demand. Let's not pretend he has it easy.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Good. What the fuck was it gonna be about? Ewan sitting in the desert and jerking off for an hour?

Move on from the PT/OT era, FFS.
Considering that during this time period Obi-Wan learns Qui-Gon how to manifest himself after death, if they were to take any cues from Clone Wars arc covering Yoda's training then there's opportunities for some absolutely fascinating material unlike anything we've ever seen in live action.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also the majority of the good EU stuff happened when Luke and Leia were in their late 20's to early 30's....they never got to 60's Luke and Leia to do adaptations with boomer aged Carey Fisher, Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford. Having Hamill try to do stunts as if only 10 years had passed would have just looked atrocious.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
It just occurred to me that this obsession with the idea of a "solid plan" comes from theory culture, which always sets out to figure out the story before we get it. All of the theories for what the story would be post TFA were rote and derivative. People thought they figured it out. TLJ came out and actually gave us an interesting narrative with something to say. People then felt that there was deviation from a "plan." I.e. Their boring ass fan fiction
Dude. TLJ just took what people expected and did the opposite, thinking it was clever while doing so.

It was not clever. And doing the exact opposite of what the story set up is not brilliant. It's high school subversion.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Considering that during this time period Obi-Wan learns Qui-Gon how to manifest himself after death, if they were to take any cues from Clone Wars arc covering Yoda's training then there's opportunities for some absolutely fascinating material unlike anything we've ever seen in live action.

Yea, but if Obi-Wan is sitting there working on the Qui-Gon training then it generally means he's in an okay place. He's just Obi-Wan working on his mission and watching over Luke and...I think generally people want to see an Obi-Wan that's dealing with the catharsis of the impacts of what has happened. Something that challenges Ewan to do something new with the character. Maybe the training and Obi-Wan being depressed aren't mutually exclusive, but they don't seem like a good fit imo.

Heck...maybe it shouldn't even take place on Tatooine. I always imagined it would, but honestly, it doesn't have to. It's becoming tired as a setting and it's really not that big of a deal if Obi-Wan had some kind of doubt or crisis that led him away from the planet for a bit. Obi-wan foiling some secret plot to kill Luke is the kind of predictable thing that Star Wars should probably be avoiding right now.

Dec 12, 2017
Good. What the fuck was it gonna be about? Ewan sitting in the desert and jerking off for an hour?

Move on from the PT/OT era, FFS.
30 second pitch:

Stricken with overwhelming grief and guilt over the loss of his padawan, Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side, Obi Wan Kenobi takes a vow to watch over the son of Skywalker, hidden away on the desert planet of Tatooine.

When a stranger arrives with orders to investigate the existence of the young boy, Kenobi springs into action to protect the young one at all costs, even if it means tracking down the source of this bounty hunter across the galaxy.

Basically have the show start on Tatooine but take it off world with Kenobi battling enemies and whatnot to protect a clueless Luke, back on Tatooine. There's a lot you could do there and also really explore his PTSD.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
30 second pitch:

Stricken with overwhelming grief and guilt over the loss of his padawan, Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side, Obi Wan Kenobi takes a vow to watch over the son of Skywalker, hidden away on the desert planet of Tatooine.

When a stranger arrives with orders to investigate the existence of the young boy, Kenobi springs into action to protect the young one at all costs, even if it means tracking down the source of this bounty hunter across the galaxy.

Basically have the show start on Tatooine but take it off world with Kenobi battling enemies and whatnot to protect a clueless Luke, back on Tatooine. There's a lot you could do there and also really explore his PTSD.

I would prefer that Obi learns to "let go" by going to help someone or some people on Tatooine even if it means leaving Luke's oversight behind. Something along the lines of accepting his past and not trying to force the future at the expense of helping others.

They need to cut off his story from Luke, it should be introspective, not about the existing story we know of. Enough with the damn Skywalkers already.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
30 second pitch:

10 second pitch

Bo-Katan Kryze traces Kenobi thanks to his connection to her late sister , in an effort to weaken the empire's threat to her rule on Mandalore she makes Kenobi an offer he can't refuse, either help her or she will give the order to sell both him and Luke to the empire.

And that way you link it to Mando.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
10 second pitch

Bo-Katan Kryze traces Kenobi thanks to his connection to her late sister , in an effort to weaken the empire's threat to her rule on Mandalore she makes Kenobi an offer he can't refuse, either help her or she will give the order to sell both him and Luke to the empire.

And that way you link it to Mando.

It takes 5 seconds just to say that first name.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Kevin Feige built the MCU with a box of scraps and turned B-tier (and under) superheroes into household names. And puts out multiple films per year, to ever-increasing demand. Let's not pretend he has it easy.
He basically made two SW movies that are better than any SW project since ROTJ.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Yea, but if Obi-Wan is sitting there working on the Qui-Gon training then it generally means he's in an okay place. He's just Obi-Wan working on his mission and watching over Luke and...I think generally people want to see an Obi-Wan that's dealing with the catharsis of the impacts of what has happened. Something that challenges Ewan to do something new with the character. Maybe the training and Obi-Wan being depressed aren't mutually exclusive, but they don't seem like a good fit imo.

Heck...maybe it shouldn't even take place on Tatooine. I always imagined it would, but honestly, it doesn't have to. It's becoming tired as a setting and it's really not that big of a deal if Obi-Wan had some kind of doubt or crisis that led him away from the planet for a bit. Obi-wan foiling some secret plot to kill Luke is the kind of predictable thing that Star Wars should probably be avoiding right now.
When Yoda learned from Qui-Gon how to manifest himself, it wasn't just sitting around meditating. It involved traveling to the deeply Force-ingrained birth-planet of all life in the galaxy, as well as going to the capital planet of the Sith, facing down the essence of Darth Bane in a valley where the ancient Sith Lords were buried. Also Force priestesses. And a looooot of weird shit happens along the way.

Oct 27, 2017
Mmmm. Can't say it bothers me, Kenobi as a character never really interested me all that much tbh. But a series about Vader in his prime going around being badass and killing a monster the size of a mountain? Sign me right the fuck up.

Rickelodeon

Oct 25, 2017

"We just pushed the shoot to the beginning of next year. The scripts are really good. I saw 90% of the writing and I really liked it," Mcgregor said during a press scrum at an event promoting Warner Bros.' upcoming film "Birds of Prey."

"All this bulls— about creative differences and all that stuff is, none of it true," he continued. "We just pushed the dates, they want — last episode, episode 9 came out, everyone had more time to read the stuff that had been written, and they felt that they wanted to do more work on it. So they slid the shoot. It's not nearly as dramatic as it sounds online."

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
B7dA.gif

Window

Oct 27, 2017
After watching The Mandalorian, I can totally understand the concern about this show overlapping with it in tone and style. While it's certainly possible to have two pseudo space western shows airing at the same time, they probably want each to have its own distinct quality to make them stand out and not risk losing audiences' attention from more of the same.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they gave the Mando scripts more time in the cooker.

Seems to be a nothingfart if we can believe Ewan. Couple of months shooting delay, with no real effect on the 2021 release window, which hadn't a fixed date yet anyway.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Mmmm. Can't say it bothers me, Kenobi as a character never really interested me all that much tbh. But a series about Vader in his prime going around being badass and killing a monster the size of a mountain? Sign me right the fuck up.

Why can't we have Vader: Jedi Hunter as a show. I love me Obi, I think the show will be good, but I need some Vader action other then comics. I want to see him just strike fear in people for 10 episodes straight.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since she greenlit the mess that is TRoS, I'm not sure if I trust Kennedy's judgment anymore...