• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
When you the pull the plug on a project of this size, at this point (well into pre production by the sounds of it) it's usually a combination of factors. I'm sure that they weren't happy with the scripts but I'm willing to bet that it wasn't just the quality but the creative direction of the series, and it's likely that the budget had spiralled out of control too.

It's entirely possible that they get it back on track sometime in the next year or so but this is the last thing that Star Wars needs now.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
God damnit. This is literally the only thing on the horizon of Star Wars I am interested in. I'd rather get this than another season of The Mandalorian.

Well plenty. He could encounter travelers. It seems Tatooine is kind of a popular hub planet. Maybe extended universe characters viewers aren't expecting. He also doesn't need to remain on the planet. He could have a spacecraft stashed near his hovel and go on travels for one reason or another.

B....but isn't he supposed to be in hiding from Vader?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I like how Tatooine has gone from the armpit of the galaxy that one can hide and escape to the Bright Center of the Universe where everything happens and everyone famous and important is from/visits at least once.

It was always kind of that way though, right? Because the most interesting characters were always those who were on the run. I mean I say this as a person who has mostly read the extended universe stuff.

B....but isn't he supposed to be in hiding from Vader?

It' a big universe. He can hide but still hit up different locales when needed. Also I am not sure if Obi was ever explicitly hiding from Vader. He seemed to actually feel sorry for him and everything he had done, so he was resigned to stick around on Tat and make sure Luke was never discovered. That is my take anyway.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah honestly I think Kathleen or Alan Horn or Iger or whomever is firing people left and right needs to be replaced with Favreau or Filoni: when you have this many clashes with respected directors who've excelled at other studios the problem is you.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
They probably wanted to do Baby* Luke Skywalker but Disney really, really hates Luke for some reason

*10 years old Luke

Oct 27, 2017
The KK movies are all 10000000000000000x better than the prequels. So no thanks.

I may be talking out of my backside with this but I'm pretty sure a lot of the ideas in the much beloved Clone Wars animated series were actually George's. George is an idea man, he always has been. I don't know if I've ever seen something he's directed where I would say that directing actors is the thing that he does the best. It clearly isn't.

Full creative control was the problem with the prequel's, and nobody saying no. Conceptually there were good themes and ideas in there, we've seen that when someone else got their hands on them and tried to salvage that. In execution of course they were on garbage but I don't think that means that the sequel trilogy is inherently better. Definitely more watchable and I would rather watch the sequel trilogy any time, but it has a different set of problems, and cohesiveness, story, and characters are the bulk of them.

I think at this point critiquing the person in charge behind the property is totally valid.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Can we get actual sources on this? Collider isn't exactly known for scoops, and bad Star Wars news is a surefire click getter.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Mandolarian is basically pulp sci-fi Lone Wolf & Cub

Pulp sci-fi Zatoichi should be a no-brainer template for this

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Greenlighting a Cassian Andor series but can't get their act together for an Obi-Wans series.

Not that I'm surprised anymore.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
If she has final say on this show, doesn't that mean she also had final say on Mandalorian? A show almost everyone loves?
Broken clock, etc.

In all seriousness, it's not like everything Disney has done with Star Wars is bad, but they've certainly been wildly inconsistent, especially when compared to the MCU. They keep throwing things at the wall and it doesn't feel like there's anything resembling a grand plan for the future of the canon. Star Wars needs a Kevin Feige type, and Kathleen Kennedy ain't it.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
It's probably being reworked to have more OT nostalgia callbacks, and add in several characters for the sole purpose of selling toys.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy it. The rumors last week were bullshit, this is probably bullshit too. It's not supposed to start filming until this summer last I heard

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably being reworked to have more OT nostalgia callbacks, and add in several characters for the sole purpose of selling toys.

Kennedy probably looked at the scripts and was like "Wait, where's Palpatine? How do you tell a Star Wars story without Palpatine?"

sml_x

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like Lucasfilm is beholden to these aggressive release schedules and development pipelines that blow up in their face time and time again. Shouldn't script approval be essential before anybody else shows up to work? Why has everything other than TLJ and Mando been a production nightmare?

They really need to step back and slow down before they run the whole franchise into the ground. They're on thin ice as it is.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine KK being "unhappy" with the scripts after approving TROS. GTFO.

What are you fools doing?

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fire Kennedy and every single person that is involved in Star Wars descion making outside of Mandalorian. Fucking trash.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Broken clock, etc.

In all seriousness, it's not like everything Disney has done with Star Wars is bad, but they've certainly been wildly inconsistent, especially when compared to the MCU. They keep throwing things to the wall and it doesn't feel like there's anything resembling a grand plan for the future of the canon. Star Wars needs a Kevin Feige type, and Kathleen Kennedy ain't it.

The MCU had a way bumpier start than Disney Star Wars and anyone saying otherwise is using revisionist history. Lets not pretend like the start of Thor, Hulk, or Cpt America were home runs.

eqFWpAX.png
\

7lsJ3Ty.png

j4mlaEm.png

Iw0BltH.png

0UZrcNw.png

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Someone should leak one of those early scripts as my faith in anyone at Lucasfilm is pretty much nil.

Oct 27, 2017
The Kathleen Kennedy hate continues to be obnoxious and baffling. Has everything worked smoothly? Of course not. Has she overseen some garbage? Yes (tRoS).

She has also produced an excellent film, TLJ. And most of you that hate that film also like the Mandalorian, which you conveniently give her zero credit for.

We literally have people in here posting that her not liking a script means it must be great. Kennedy, a producer on films such as ET, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Munich, Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, etc. apparently knows nothing of storytelling.

She has made mistakes but the amount of hate she receives is ridiculous.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
This is bullshit. Literally. This whole Obi Wan Twitter fiasco is a bunch of made-up bullshit.

Love that the "insiders" are now claiming Obi Wan isn't cancelled--the filming has just been delayed to summer.

It was never supposed to fucking film until summer. We've known that forever.

And supposedly it's over script issues, even though we ALSO know they have been sitting on these scripts for years?!

Gotta love the amount of save-face happening because these "insiders" all got so excited and prematurely circle-jerked each other with GIFs for attention.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
nuLucasFilm has thus far shown 0 reference or reverence to the prequels. This being announced in the first place seemed like a fluke to me but what do I know

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
This is bullshit. Literally. This whole Obi Wan Twitter fiasco is a bunch of made-up bullshit.

Love that the "insiders" are now claiming Obi Wan isn't cancelled--the filming has just been delayed to summer.

It was never supposed to fucking film until summer. We've known that forever.

And supposedly it's over script issues, even though we ALSO know they have been sitting on these scripts for years?!

Gotta love the amount of save-face happening because these "insiders" all got so excited and prematurely circle-jerked each other with GIFs for attention.
This

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, KK herself comfirmed at D23 the scripts are done:

And 6 months later she's now expressing her disinterest in them? Scripts that they have probably sitting on for much longer than 6 months?

Remember that time they approved the script, direction, cast, and all other aspects of production on a Star War and then completely scrapped everything two weeks from the end of filming and started over

They're not exactly running a tight ship there.