• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Why can't we have Vader: Jedi Hunter as a show. I love me Obi, I think the show will be good, but I need some Vader action other then comics. I want to see him just strike fear in people for 10 episodes straight.

Ngl, I'd gladly watch 10 episodes of Vader just standing around, breathing, and staring people into fear and submission.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
But he comments that it's all much less dramatic than it seems. He even says that the release date for the series is still the same.

He thinks they want to keep the same release date. We will see about that.

As for being less dramatic, that's a subjective judgement anyway. Plus PR or potential damage control.

Edit: and as we've seen in the case of TROS keeping the same release date is not always good news.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I mean this is exactly what this rumour states, so this confirms it.

they didn't have time to properly read the scripts because of episode 9? How does Feige seem to manage with a dozen marvel projects being juggled and LF can't read a damn script if one movie is shooting?

assuming Disney like marvels approach why aren't they sharing some of those practices with LF?

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If the scripts are the problems: good. As much as I'd love to see Ewan back as Obi Wan I'd rather not have anything than something lackluster.
If it's worth the wait I'll wait. If not then it's alright with me.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest not interested in it. So much material available for this character already. I'm just not interested. Do something else.

I'm baffled we have this enormous sci-fi universe, expanded upon by a gazillion books, comics, video games introducing new conflicts, characters, races, technology. And here we have the "official" materials, the movies and the shows, and 43 years after the original movie we're still following the adventures of Han Solo's son, the disciple of Luke Skywalker, Palpatine is back, we had Leia appear in two movies after the actress died, we had a Solo origins story, we had one about the destruction of the Death Star, we have a show about off-brand Boba Fett featuring what has been dubbed as Baby Yoda, now we might (or might not, reading this) have another Obi-Wan origin series...

I know this has been said a billion times but at least the prequels dared tackling new stuff despite being set in the past. 43 years after the original movie aired, Disney is still merely pushing the same characters, families, plot points forward, afraid of letting iconic stuff stay in the past, afraid to invent new tech, new races, brand new storylines. Would people not watch a Star Wars movie if it was set 100 years after the original trilogy? They can still have throwbacks at the old events, eg. they're being taught in schools or you see statues on planets dedicated to Luke or Obi-Wan or something. They could do absolutely anything but they choose to go the "remember x from the original movies? he's still around!" route, and it's, creatively speaking, boring as hell.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My thought on this, is that the Shigeru Miyamoto quote - 'A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad', applies much more to TV and movies these days than it does VideoGames.

This stuff can't be fixed by a patch. Now after all these delays I just hope it's good....

Oct 27, 2017

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
source.gif

I love all the prequel gifs being posted. ROTS is such a meme machine

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
You trust the writer of 47 ronan, snow white and the huntsman, shanghai and the snowman to pump out quality scripts?

People were correct to be worried when they saw that Terrio was writing the script for IX. Maybe the scripts were actually not that good?

Why they hired the original writer in the first place? I honestly do not know 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
It seems pretty obvious that Kathleen Kennedy either needs to go, or get some help. Everything happening with Star Wars is just more of a case for Kevin Feige make to get a blank check from Disney whenever he negotiates his next contract.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
So it's being rewritten to make it less similar to Mandalorian. How is that a bad thing? We don't want more of the same.

None of us know the exact production process at Lucasfilm. Kathleen is not the showrunner of this show, she shouldn't have to be micromanaging a project unless she feels she has no choice.

Lucasfilm definitely need a shakeup though, things are more chaotic than they usually are in filmmaking.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Also with 4 chapters I doubt the release date will be impacted. Post production should be a lot shorter.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You trust the writer of 47 ronan, snow white and the huntsman, shanghai and the snowman to pump out quality scripts?

People were correct to be worried when they saw that Terrio was writing the script for IX. Maybe the scripts were actually not that good?

Why they hired the original writer in the first place? I honestly do not know 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

You raise a good point — how these garbage writers get hired in the first place is mind boggling.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
When you think of "Obi Wan series" the first idea most have pretty much is The Mandolorian, a western where the hero has to protect a youth in a lawless land.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
When you think of "Obi Wan series" the first idea most have pretty much is The Mandolorian, a western where the hero has to protect a youth in a lawless land.

Yep, THR's quote about the premise is so similar, I don't know how anyone can disagree with Kathleen's decision to have the show rewritten:

One source said the Kenobi story treaded similar ground as Mandalorian, seeing the Jedi master lending a protective hand to a young Luke and perhaps even a young Leia, perhaps mirroring how the Mandalorian took Baby Yoda under his protective custody.

How it ended up like this is another question. But like I said, whoever the show's showrunner is would be responsible for the story, and then collaborated with the screenwriter to fill in the details. Later on Kathleen checks up on how they're getting on, then realises it's basically too similar to The Mandalorian, so she makes the call to rewrite the whole thing.

At least that's my impression anyway, I don't know if this show is following the typical writers room format of TV writing or not.

Btw according to wiki, Amini and Deborah Chow are the showrunners, but I don't see anyone criticising Chow...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Ironically they actually have a good, late EU source they could draw from for this show - the novel that was simply titled Kenobi.
Well it at least sounds better than kid Luke.

Also the majority of the good EU stuff happened when Luke and Leia were in their late 20's to early 30's....they never got to 60's Luke and Leia to do adaptations with boomer aged Carey Fisher, Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford. Having Hamill try to do stunts as if only 10 years had passed would have just looked atrocious.
Exactly.

Dude. TLJ just took what people expected and did the opposite, thinking it was clever while doing so
www.theatlantic.com

In 'The Last Jedi,' the Heroes Are Finally More Than Just 'the Good Guys'

Unlike most "Star Wars" movies, Rian Johnson’s film goes beyond the battle between Light and Dark—and digs into the systemic oppression the Resistance is fighting against.

739ee99ffbfd02a80b4151aaa9d390aac275c1f2.jpg

TLJ was written before expectations were even in place. If you think the decisions made were just "well people expect x so this is the opposite" then you need to learn to examine themes.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Mandolorian literally couldve been anything so why in the world did they turn it into 'Man in desert protects baby force user' if they intended to produce an Obi Wan show?

Of course I'm down for Kenobi defying expectations, having more locales, a higher budget, and more plots than just watching over Luke on sand land. But who tf really thinks it will?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Personally, I don't give a shit about the character, or McGregor's performance, or McGregor himself, and don't want to see what Kenobi got up to before ANH. I'd rather have new protagonists, or adaptations of the comics/video games we've not seen on the big/small screen before. But SW is a brand with plenty of popular IP, so they'll keep regurgitating old characters. Rumours of a Dr Aphra show or KOTOR-era story are encouraging though.

It's actually amazing we got The Mandalorian really, a completely new protagonist and no glorified cameos. Maybe now I've jinxed it, and they'll do a retcon next season and go "actually it's Boba, who had his memories manipulated! Now go buy his toys you filthy animals."

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
A shame that they didn't also put TROS on hold until they had a decent script.

Personally I'm so sour on the Sheev era after TROS that I no longer care if this series ever happens. I just want to get as far away from the train wreck as possible and get into new stories with new characters.

I have zero interest in an series where Obi-Wan protects young Luke, I don't give a shit about that. It's something we've seen a million times before. They need to come up with a premise for the series that doesn't rely on any other existing characters, if they can't do that then can it.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Either way that's a massive cause for concern, though I doubt this obi wan series was particularly make or break.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was this show officially confirmed in production by Disney / LucasFilms?
Or its status was disclosed by insiders?

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
If it ever happens guaranteed it will be the worst version they had they go with. I don't trust them at all. No I've not seen Mandaloriannyet besides the first two episodes (waiting patiently to see them in high quality, thanks Disney).

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I don't give a shit about the character, or McGregor's performance, or McGregor himself, and don't want to see what Kenobi got up to before ANH. I'd rather have new protagonists, or adaptations of the comics/video games we've not seen on the big/small screen before. But SW is a brand with plenty of popular IP, so they'll keep regurgitating old characters. Rumours of a Dr Aphra show or KOTOR-era story are encouraging though.

It's actually amazing we got The Mandalorian really, a completely new protagonist and no glorified cameos. Maybe now I've jinxed it, and they'll do a retcon next season and go "actually it's Boba, who had his memories manipulated! Now go buy his toys you filthy animals."

They've already said next season will have people from the Skywalker saga appearing.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
In before we get the leaks of concept art and earlier drafts and find out those were actually quite interesting, exotic and doing proper world building instead of creating another Non-Tatooine v3.0 and resurrecting Sheev?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Holy crap will they please stop worrying about the optiks and move Kathleen to something else. She is bad at Star Wars. I'm not one for scapegoating underlings. The buck stops with her.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It seems pretty obvious that Kathleen Kennedy either needs to go, or get some help. Everything happening with Star Wars is just more of a case for Kevin Feige make to get a blank check from Disney whenever he negotiates his next contract.
"So how much do you think you're worth?"

"Not high enough."

"That's not a number."

"And that's not high enough."

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be willing to bet it's characters from TCW or Rebels instead of th nmovies since Filoni is involved heavily. And Favreau loves TCW apparently. Probably Ashoka if I were to guess. But I could be wrong, we shall see

Depends, based on the timelines I'd assume she's still out with Sabine looking for Ezra.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"The scripts are good" says the dude who starred in the PT...

I'm sure he signed on to the prequels excitedly without even considering it would go THAT astray. Star Wars prequels were high on everyone's list, it was a sure fire win. The cache of new Star Wars movies was off the charts

he was also the one who, when told the title of Attack of the Clones on the red carpet for another movie, reacted in amused disbelief.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mandolorian literally couldve been anything so why in the world did they turn it into 'Man in desert protects baby force user' if they intended to produce an Obi Wan show?
Because the show, that was initially a movie meant to be announced right after Solo premiered, kept going off and on in different forms throughout the last 2-3 years