• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many kids are stuck in there.

Must be terrifying.

Hope they get them out asap.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Tests for couple months with no issue. Wonder what happened to cause this.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what they put in all the emergency kits? Food? Snacks? Toiletries?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
You couldn't pay me to get on one of these Skyliners. I was at a theme park when the power failed on one of these, and the people are just stuck where they are until either power resumes or they are rescued. God help you if you have any fear of heights. Just have to wait it out.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who designed these without air conditioning????? I would NOT want to be stuck in one of these for 3+ hours with no air conditioning in Florida:

Riders on the recently opened Skyliner gondola ride at Walt Disney World were stranded for hours after an apparent power failure, according to social media posts.

A Walt Disney World spokeswoman confirmed there was an issue and said there are no reported injuries. There was "unexpected downtime" on the Skyliner, the spokeswoman said late Saturday.

Chris Edenfield said he's been stuck on the ride for "hours" with his disabled mother.

"There's a fire truck [and] paramedics unloading the people ahead of us; we've been stuck up here for hours waiting," he said. "We've cracked open the emergency kit a while ago for water; it's just a nightmare right now."

The cabins, which hold up to 10 people, are not air-conditioned.

Shortly after 11 p.m. the gondola started moving slowly but stopped shortly after, Edenfield said. He said his mother is having a hard time.

"She got sick awhile ago, throwing up because of her nerves, but I gave her one of the bags [of water]," he said.

Several social-media reports indicated the system started moving again shortly after 11 p.m. Saturday, but there was no confirmation from Disney by 11:20 p.m.
A witness on the ground at 10 p.m. reported that the gondolas were not moving, and the cabins were dark.

Photos posted on the Twitter page Waltparks show several of the gondolas smashed together, although it's unclear if any riders were on those.

The system features nearly 300 cabins that Disney says travel at about 11 mph. Their peak height is about 60 feet off the ground.

Riders also said they were asked to open the emergency kits, social media posts show.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I was literally at Disney last week when these opened. My resort was one that had the Skyline. They were pretty cool but super crowded and stopped all the time, usually over water. None of the stops were more than 10 minutes though. Never knew what caused it but we assumed it was people that couldn't get on/off in time, as those things move constantly and don't stop for slow people.
They also had a separate section to board people with scooters/wheelchairs, and it seemed to require injecting a gondola into the flow of traffic somehow.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Who designed these without air conditioning????? I would NOT want to be stuck in one of these for 3+ hours with no air conditioning in Florida:

So when the thing moves, it has a real cool innovative natural air conditioning that's caused by the positions of these vent things and covers for them. When we were moving, it was really comfortable inside it.
However, that does no good when it's stopped.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
You couldn't pay me to get on one of these Skyliners. I was at a theme park when the power failed on one of these, and the people are just stuck where they are until either power resumes or they are rescued. God help you if you have any fear of heights. Just have to wait it out.
The gondolas themselves have no real power in them directly. They are attached to the line directly. The gondolas do not move, the line does, which is powered at each resort. If a resort loses power, they'll have a generator up and running immediately to get it running again.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Report says people are getting a 4 day park hopper ticket and a $100 gift card

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Report says people are getting a 4 day park hopper ticket and a $100 gift card

WTF?!?!? Just for being stuck on a ride for 3+ hours??? I would want a full refund, especially if the theme park is closed by the time I'm rescued from the ride because I couldn't enjoy other rides because I was stuck on one for multiple hours.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
To specify, that looks to be a $600 value minimum per individual. Of course, it they're not planning on coming back then that doesn't do them a whole lot of good

Yeah credits, vouchers and gift cards for shit like this always amuses me. It's really just a slimy corporate way of brainwashing the victim into believing they are being taken seriously and that justice has been served. In actuality, they do this because if they come back they're going to end up spending more of their own money at their establishment in the process via further returns and various visit costs (i.e. on park hotels, restaurants, gift shops, etc). It's the great American mindfuck: How to turn a disaster of your own doing into profit.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah credits, vouchers and gift cards for shit like this always amuses me. It's really just a slimy corporate way of brainwashing the victim into believing they are being taken seriously and that justice has been served. In actuality, they do this because if they come back they're going to end up spending more of their own money at their establishment in the process via further returns and various visit costs (i.e. on park hotels, restaurants, gift shops, etc). It's the great American mindfuck: How to turn a disaster of your own doing into profit.

What the hell are they supposed to offer? A kidney?

Ketchup

Nov 5, 2017
The amount of entitlement in here is absurd. "They should sue" "not nearly enough (compensation)" etc. It's an accident, something unplanned. I really think Disney would rather have not had this happen at all as at best the bad press enough is not a good look let alone anything else.

As for the compensation $100 and 4 days worth of park tickets seems more than fair to me. Yeah being stuck for three hours is a pain and will spoil your day but three hours is not a life time and will hardly ruin your whole holiday. Even more so if you only visited for a single day, that'd assume you live near by.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
They should throw in a 3-night hotel stay inside the park to go along with the 4-day park hopper. Then i'd say "ok, even steven" .. basically payment for being a beta test/dummy.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
What the hell are they supposed to offer? A kidney?

... Their money back? Lmfao. Did you really just compare a cash refund to organ selling? The point (which flew wildly over your head Superman style) is that an actual refund versus gift cards/vouchers would give the people on the receiving end of whatever issue the option of deciding whether or not they wanted to come back or personally boycott the place for their awful experience.

They don't want to do that though because there isn't much incentive in doing so. That's leaving money on the table.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're lucky this happened at night time rather than during the day considering the heat.

Re: Compensation... it seems more than fair, especially considering it happened at night/the end of the day -- after these people have already spent the majority of their day doing whatever they were normally doing on holiday. They may have been robbed of their last 3 hours in the theme park, but instead get 4 more days and $100. I don't see how that's bad, or somehow qualifying for a full refund.

Accidents always suck of course, and it's pretty embarrassing for Disney for something like this to happen literally in the first week of operation. I am sure we'll get more details sooner or later.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You know, I was actually looking forward to riding this on my December trip. But maybe I'll stick with the bus.