• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
So guys, we are a couple of years into the advent of console HDR gaming! One thing one my mind is wide colour gamuts...

I had a B7 OLED pro calibrated, but game HDR mode wasn't, as I want to use the currently broken PC HDR mode, when it's fixed.

Now my cinema HDR colour is 55, and I've stuck game HDR at 50, because I feel it's rec709 mapped into a rec2020 container, it'll look over cooked if I do that.

Is that the right thing to do? Are they any games with full Rec2020 colour?

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 4 and GT sport are the only 2 games that I know of support WCG. Horizon Zero Dawn was color graded in SDR according to a Digital Foundry interview with Guerrilla games.
The colors in Forza Horizon 3 really pop so that might support WCG as well.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn was color graded in SDR according to a Digital Foundry interview with Guerrilla games.
This is one of those think really makes me doubt about the effectiveness of HDR. I always thought HZD was in HDR, but now i find out it's just the technology inside my tv who show all that vivid colors, not the game, not hdr. I even thought HZD had better HDR than GTSport.

JohngPR

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
WCG and HDR do two different things. While HDR mainly helps to display a greater difference in light intensity from dark to bright, WCG helps to display a greater range in colors. Guerrilla Games still had to grade the HDR to whatever spec they would want your TV to display, same with color even if it doesn't outright do it to the spec of WCG.

It all works best when they work together though, and anyone that plans on getting a new TV with HDR should make sure the TV they plan to buy supports WCG, since some do not.

OP
OP
DOTDASHDOT

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Gears 4 and GT sport are the only 2 games that I know of support WCG. Horizon Zero Dawn was color graded in SDR according to a Digital Foundry interview with Guerrilla games.
The colors in Forza Horizon 3 really pop so that might support WCG as well.

Thing is though, on Gears 4, selecting auto colour gamut through the TV, selects rec709...

Hence my confusion.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
GT Sport is the first game to accurately portray rossa corsa (Ferrari red) because it falls in the WCG range.

OP
OP
DOTDASHDOT

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm weird why the B7 uses rec709 for those games.