• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
First thing that springs to mind is Mavs-Warriors, but that wasn't a sweep
This is really unprecedented
I'd say Mavs-Warriors does come close as a chokejob, just because the nature of 7-game series in basketball usually means you ain't getting lucky for 4 games (and that was a barely-.500 Dubs team against what was then the tied-for-6th best team in NBA history)

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
One hell of a way to win your first over playoff series Jackets.

LOL Lightning, biggest frauds in sports currently.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty fucked up considering how well built Tampa is. But if you're not going to turn up for the playoffs...

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Suddenly the BJs are up there with the Caps for favorites to come out of the east for me.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I still think its yankees losing 4 straight in 2004 ALCS. If only because they swept the first 3 and blew multiple games in a row in a series of epic chokes. I hear that emergency personnel all had to go through Heimlich maneuver training that fall just because obviously NYC forgot how stop choking.

EDIT: my response is regarding the discussion about greatest choke job of all time in sports.

Tux_

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Fucking crazy. I actually feel some kind of remorse for TBL.

Leafs Jackets round 2 let's go.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I really wish the Lightning would have missed the playoffs instead. This is worse than the Bucs going 0-26

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
This isn't just a #1 seed getting swept by a #8 seed. The Tampa Bay Lightning matched the regular season win record, which is really impressive in today's "age of parity". Just look at how far ahead they finished in the standings. If I calculated correctly, they were about 2.77 standard deviations above the mean in points. (There are 31 teams FYI).

And this wasn't just a single game choke, the Lightning lost four games in a row. People made a big deal when the record-setting Golden State Warriors choked away a 3-1 series lead to the Cavaliers, losing three games in a row. This would be like if that GSW team got swept in the first round.

KTPMiLil.png

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like if the dubs got swept in the first round in 2016. Tampa tied for the most wins ever.

That is absolutely embarrassing.

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Incredible. Props to the Blue Jackets winning their first playoff series in the best possible way.

I love playoff hockey so much.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
This is a franchise destroying loss , I'm getting flashbacks of when the Colts came back on Monday night football to beat the Bucs. That loss completely destroyed that franchise and led to the mediocrity you see today with that team.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Greatest choke job ever. Tampa actually has a Cup unlike our Nucks (the Millionaires have one 100 years ago though!) so that evens it out I suppose. Well and no embarassing riots either, fuck that (yes it's been a while but still).

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
This is a franchise destroying loss , I'm getting flashbacks of when the Colts came back on Monday night football to beat the Bucs. That loss completely destroyed that franchise and led to the mediocrity you see today with that team.

If they can fire Cooper and bring in someone to refocus, they should be fine. Losing with big expectations was a regular thing for the Caps for the longest time but they finally broke through.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
What lol. The reasons the Bucs suck is because Malcolm Glazer died and his family runs the team and they barely focus on them because they own Manchester United.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
What lol. The reasons the Bucs suck is because Malcolm Glazer died and his family runs the team and they barely focus on them because they own Manchester United.

That's actually a huge misconception, the glazer sons are very hands off and let the football people make the decisions. The problem is they've had 3 shit tier GMs.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I feel for TBL, that's so brutal after such a successful season.

On the other hand Penguins also got swept, woo!!

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
That's actually a huge misconception, the glazer sons are very hands off and let the football people make the decisions. The problem is they've had 3 shit tier GMs.
Yeah they don't care about the team and hire shit GMs but if Malcolm was still alive and active it would be much different.