• The site will be down for scheduled maintenance this Friday the 24th at 2AM PST / 5AM EST / 9AM UTC while we perform a software update. We expect this process to take up to 5 hours. Thank you for your understanding and patience. New features will be included.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Comedy Central to revive “Crank Yankers.”

Oct 25, 2017
Behind you.
Just breaking at Comedy Central’s presser.
For the (mercifully) uninitiated, Crank Yankerswas a crass 30-minute show in which prank calls — dialed by the likes of Adam Carolla, Jimmy Kimmel, Tracy Morgan, Sarah Silverman, Wanda Sykes and Biz Marke — were brought to life via the magic of puppetry.

According to Comedy Central, the new Crank Yankers will be “updated for a digitally driven audience. [The puppets will be] pranking on phones, social media, e-sport platforms and any venue where trouble can be made.”

rpm

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the 24th century
As a young person, I don't really remember this, but there's social media and e-sports involved so I'm in, thank god the Comedy Central execs know what digitally driven audiences like me want /s

Crank Yankers has always been my favorite show to make,” says Kimmel. Nothing is more fun or makes me laugh harder than a great crank call and I am thrilled that Comedy Central asked us to do it again,” said Jimmy Kimmel. “At this time, I would like to ask all Americans to disable their caller ID. Thank you.”
Young people just don't answer the phone if it's from a number they don't recognize, because 99% of the calls I get are bots, you crusty old fuck

Oct 25, 2017
Finally a chance for Puppet Karl Malone voiced by Jimmy Kimmel to make his triumphant and totally-relevant-and-appropriate-in-2019 return!

Slayven

You probably post about me on another board.
Oct 25, 2017
Do people even make prank calls any more? It feels like something that died out in the age of the smart phone.
Well GOP do when their guy is running against a black candidate but that is a different thing

TAJ

Oct 28, 2017
Young people just don't answer the phone if it's from a number they don't recognize, because 99% of the calls I get are bots, you crusty old fuck
People who are the age of the callers on the original show started that, so 'grats on acting like on old man, I guess.

rpm

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the 24th century
People who are the age of the callers on the original show started that, so 'grats on acting like on old man, I guess.
"That" referring to not picking up the phone because of bots? I used to usually pick up the phone up until a few years ago, robocalls didn't become an exponentially bigger problem until recently.

Oct 28, 2017
Do people even make prank calls any more? It feels like something that died out in the age of the smart phone.
Yes, there's still a market for prank calls on YouTube. Immigrants, businesses, the old and less tech savvy are all common targets of prank calls online.

TAJ

Oct 28, 2017
"That" referring to not picking up the phone because of bots? I used to usually pick up the phone up until a few years ago, robocalls didn't become an exponentially bigger problem until recently.
"That" being not picking up calls from unknown numbers.
It started being a thing way before bots. I started doing it when my first cell phone plan had a limited number of minutes.
Like I said, way to be behind the curve, kid.

Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Nah man. Call a time out and think about how bad an idea this is. Gen Z might still do this stuff, but it just ain't the same. And I remember the original show being a too unPC to fly in today's climate.

Nov 1, 2017
goddammit why are they giving Louis CK another show!?..

Oh yeah the other crank yankers hmmmm seems a little iffy to me

Oct 25, 2017
"[The puppets will be] pranking on phones, social media, e-sport platforms and any venue where trouble can be made."

Can't wait for their section where they shit talk someone on Fortnite

Jeez what a mess, of all the things to bring back...

Nov 11, 2017
Holy shit, I considered starting a "anyone remember Phil Hendrie's show?" thread but figured nobody here knew the guy. So hilarious.
Yep. i still remember calling into the show being pissed off because "JAY SANTOS" (citizens police) was doing a flare drop, to check in the back of black peoples trunks because "you never know what they got in there." --- Months later, i found out what/who Phil it was at work listening to some mp3s..