• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-man... Or Peter Parker at the very least is Marvel's most boring character. Nostalgia goggles on all of you.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, sure. But the waiting rooms have really nice seats.
If they had done it any other way then the Dr.Light stuff I think it would have been an average to good story. But the Dr.Light stuff is so over the top the fact they used it as a running joke for like a year afterwards really sours the whole thing.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
On a related note:

Outside of Into The Spider-Verse, there is no reason for Miles Morales to exist and the character has been a boring waste of potential for nearly a decade.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the look of Kirby's 60s comics.
Maybe it was the inker's fault, I have no idea.

But 70s Kirby is where it's at.

When Kirby was at Marvel a guy named Vince Colletta inked a lot of Kirby's work and he has a pretty infamous reputation. He was put on books because he could get shit done extremely fast but a lot of Kirby fans think he ruined the art. In the 70s a guy named Mike Royer started inking Kirby's comics and he is generally regarded as being a lot better.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Here's one about creators. Modern writers that stick to the big two and never venture out make me think less of their writing

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
When Kirby was at Marvel a guy named Vince Colletta inked a lot of Kirby's work and he has a pretty infamous reputation. He was put on books because he could get shit done extremely fast but a lot of Kirby fans think he ruined the art. In the 70s a guy named Mike Royer started inking Kirby's comics and he is generally regarded as being a lot better.
Ah, that explains a lot, thanks!

Deleted member 47942

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
I wish super hero comics had solid beginnings middles and endings like manga.
I think this could be fixed if creators and companies signed on for a specific length of a run, like what Morrison is doing with 24 issues on Green Lantern. Once the run is over, have a new volume for the new creative team.

Of course Tom King tried to plot out 100 issues of Batman and that got cut short so why try?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
people who suggest that idea have no clue how the industry works
The comics industry allows different combinations of creative teams to tell their spin on characters. When they leave, another story with another team starts.

There's no value in having to read EVERY ISSUE of a certain character. I don't understand this mentality. It's ridiculous.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have no problem with Slott. I agree with the positive takes on him in this thread. I thought it was overall a great era for ASM.

Some of the Claremont criticism in this thread is madness though.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem with Slott. I agree with the positive takes on him in this thread. I thought it was overall a great era for ASM.

Some of the Claremont criticism in this thread is madness though.

I know a lot of people love Spencer's current run but it has done absolutely nothing for me. Slott's run was crazy and full of big ideas and explored new things. At the end of it all it mostly went back in the toy box but it was really worth it overall.

Zdarksy is the best current Spider-Man writer by a mile. What he did with JJJ is some of the best Spidey stuff ever.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Bendis is a good writer.

Greg Land is a great artist when he's not phoning it in.

Kurt Busiek is still better than all your favorites.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people love Spencer's current run but it has done absolutely nothing for me. Slott's run was crazy and full of big ideas and explored new things. At the end of it all it mostly went back in the toy box but it was really worth it overall.

Zdarksy is the best current Spider-Man writer by a mile. What he did with JJJ is some of the best Spidey stuff ever.

pretty sure you're reading it but PSA to everyone else: Spider Man Life Story is fantastic so far. legit shaping up to be one of the best spidey stories of the past decade at a minimum.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Lol, I strongly disliked the 2 issues of Life Story I read. Dropped the book after that.
Zdarsky's first few issues of Spectacular were great. But his take on the character lost its magic fast for me.
Greg Land is a great artist when he's not phoning it in.
His work on Nightwing back in the day was quite good. I haven't enjoyed any of his stuff since then though.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I think this could be fixed if creators and companies signed on for a specific length of a run, like what Morrison is doing with 24 issues on Green Lantern. Once the run is over, have a new volume for the new creative team.
The fact that this isn't the baseline at which all American comics work is so weird to me, I would pick up so many more comics if I knew I was getting 12 issues of ______ by ______(for instance) instead of the nebulous system the big two have these days.

My opinion: The X-Men have almost never been good. Morrison's run is excellent and there are a couple others that aren't bad but the majority of the X-Men comics have been garbage since its inception. The good stuff has all been the side titles(New Mutants, Generation X, the occasional X-Force, etc).
And to double down: The X-Men's obsession with not dealing with its core identity, that is the whole Mutant minority and its interaction with the rest of the world, instead focusing on aliens, time travel, and alternate who-gives-a-shits, is the worst thing to happen to the franchise. The Dark Phoenix Saga sucks, Days of Future Past is alright but the precedent it set has been a weight around the franchise's neck.

edit: Oh, and no X-Man should ever be on the Avengers, the minute you have Wolverine or Beast dicking around with Captain America the whole "hated by the masses" thing becomes untenable.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
pretty sure you're reading it but PSA to everyone else: Spider Man Life Story is fantastic so far. legit shaping up to be one of the best spidey stories of the past decade at a minimum.

Absolutely-still waiting for it to finish but so far its amazing and it's a brilliant idea that I'm surprised it hasn't been done before.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think it's controversial, but when you think about it, Jim Lee hasn't worked at length on a genuinely good book since his 15 issues on Uncanny X-Men in 1990. Everything else after that has ranged from bad to mediocre but fun, or was simply a super short stint.

Then again, the guy got fuck you money and is a talented illustrator.

Edit: also, people who whine about retcons and ridiculous twists in ongoing cape books absolutely confuse me. That's half the point of these books. What's next? Power creep in shonen manga?

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Batman punching Guy Gardner isn't funny and shows how immature he is. AND Gardner has EONS more character development than Bats have in the last 30 years and is the better character of the two
Holy shit. I thought that about Guy since forever. I also think if the every revive the GL movie it need the GG at the helm.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I'd love to see Zdarsky take over ASM eventually.

Spencer so far has been just okay for me. I didn't like the first story out of the gate with the split PP/SM thing... way too goofy. Just such big concepts with cartoony hand waving where there should have been thought out implications.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know, if a real life billionaire dressed up in real life to go beat up people in impoverished neighborhoods and called it "patrolling", no one would give a fuck about his childhood trauma and half this forum would make guillotine posts.
Not that they'd be wrong to do so.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Max Landis is a better Superman writer than most professional comic writers. And no, I'm not defending how he interacts with women. I'm actually frustrated that he is the way he is.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
edit: Oh, and no X-Man should ever be on the Avengers, the minute you have Wolverine or Beast dicking around with Captain America the whole "hated by the masses" thing becomes untenable.
For the most part I agree. But that was also the point of the Uncanny Avengers series, where they made a team exclusively of Avengers and X-Men, to show the world that they can work together. And for the most part it did bring some benefit to the idea. At least after that first arc and the whole Havok "dont call me a Mutant speech".

Before that run, it felt like Bendis just wanted to use characters like Wolverine, without any care for that sort of stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
That is just fact. The only people that disagree are salty Tim fans.
As a perpetually salty Tim fan I want him as far away from being Robin again as possible.
The comics industry allows different combinations of creative teams to tell their spin on characters. When they leave, another story with another team starts.

There's no value in having to read EVERY ISSUE of a certain character. I don't understand this mentality. It's ridiculous.
The other problem is that it acts like mini-series and limited runs etc etc somehow don't exist. Or hell go outside of "mainstream" cape comics and people would find exactly what they claim to want.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
For the most part I agree. But that was also the point of the Uncanny Avengers series, where they made a team exclusively of Avengers and X-Men, to show the world that they can work together. And for the most part it did bring some benefit to the idea. At least after that first arc and the whole Havok "dont call me a Mutant speech".

Before that run, it felt like Bendis just wanted to use characters like Wolverine, without any care for that sort of stuff.
Good point. It is a perfectly acceptable storyline to work with but the creators have to then move past the 'Mutants = hated minority' concept if it is going to continue in the long run. The core identity of the X-Men(Mutants as minority) is the absolute bedrock of the book and it has to be dealt with all the time, any time an X-book fails to engage with it it does a disservice to the great conceit at the center of it all.

This is why I 100% DO NOT want the X-Men in the MCU. Their concept works better in isolation and they should be off in their own world dealing with it.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this was some next level "I don't see color" bullshit. I've grown to hate that run in retrospect.
Luckily that run becomes awesome after that first arc. If it wasn't for Hickman's stuff, it would've been the best Avengers book at the time. Plus it had the added benefit of being a sequel to Uncanny X-Force.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Luckily that run becomes awesome after that first arc. If it wasn't for Hickman's stuff, it would've been the best Avengers book at the time. Plus it had the added benefit of being a sequel to Uncanny X-Force.
Actually, while I agree it starts off bad, I find it becomes terrible afterwards.

This is why I 100% DO NOT want the X-Men in the MCU. Their concept works better in isolation and they should be off in their own world dealing with it.
Agreed. X-Men and Avengers generally don't overlap very well. Both have their own dynamics, and they make for a crowded field anyway.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bruce Wayne is much better as a off-screen, larger than life influence for his more interesting supporting cast. Never showing Batman is the best decision TV DC ever made.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Minor: Brett Blevins ruined Morrison's stellar JLA run and New Mutants. His cartoony art is an extreme turn off for me and I've never read anything but praise for the guy.

Major: I've read great Batman stories, but I normally find him to be a boring effed up character that just needs therapy. A friend of mine used to say "Batman is a rich dude that puts on a mask and beats up poor people for fun." Certainly not quite right, but made me laugh.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The art in The Dark Knight Returns is just awful. AWFUL.

She-Hulk was a better fourth-wall breaking character than Deadpool has ever been.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures by Archie Comics became more interesting than the original Mirage series ever was.

EDIT: Oh, and Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E. and Dial H were the two most interesting comic ideas that DC had in ages and they were completely squandered. They both deserved so much better.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
And to double down: The X-Men's obsession with not dealing with its core identity, that is the whole Mutant minority and its interaction with the rest of the world, instead focusing on aliens, time travel, and alternate who-gives-a-shits, is the worst thing to happen to the franchise.
One of the few things Morrison did that I like was dealing with mutants as a minority group in a variety of places and ways. House of M pretty much undid that. I wasn't interested in a world with just 200 mutants.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Speaking of Kirby and Miller... as a kid, I didn't have the courage to say this to my peers, but I just don't get their art. I mean I get that a lot of dynamism and how comic art evolved came from Kirby, but I find a lot of his stuff just downright ugly, and I just pretended to nod along with everyone else even as contemporary artists mimicked his style. Miller's the same way, I can appreciate the use of blacks in something like Sin City but otherwise it's just ugly to me. But maybe that's the point.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
- I liked the Azrael Batman run.

- Despite loving Secret Six, I hated how Gail Simone wrote Knockout and Bane.

- I don't typically like Tim Sale art