• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Forget Crisis, New 52, and Rebirth. DC should wipe the slate clean and make their Injustice comics canon. Even the He-Man tie-in.

Hitman is better than Preacher.

If you're into cape comics and haven't read anything from Valiant, you're missing out.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
- Despite loving Secret Six, I hated how Gail Simone wrote Knockout and Bane.

Well, she believes this:

Which is fine but she sometimes goes too far or makes them too quirky.
I hate how she wrote James Gordon Jr. during her Batgirl New 52 run. She just doesn't get the character at all.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One of the few things Morrison did that I like was dealing with mutants as a minority group in a variety of places and ways. House of M pretty much undid that. I wasn't interested in a world with just 200 mutants.

The current X-editor Jordan White agrees with you.

AiPT!: Speaking of alternate realities… if you could go back to any X-Event and change one thing as an editor, what would it be and why?

Jordan: Oh man, you are going to get me in trouble. OK… I am going to go for broke and give you the real answer.

I would not have done "Decimation." Maybe "Decimation" itself isn't an event, but then I would not have done "No more mutants" at the end of House of M. I understand the criticism that people were creating mutants too freely, that it was too easy to just create a character and when coming up with a backstory just say "they are a mutant" … but I think you solve that problem internally by telling the writers to stop doing that. Actually wiping out the large bulk of mutantkind was something I didn't think was the ideal choice and led to a lot of things I was not keen on in its aftermath.

To me, having mutantkind reduced to 198 people means they are not a minority anymore, they are a statistical zero. Hating and fearing mutants goes from being small-minded to nonsensical–you will never meet one, there are less than 200 in the world. It would be like hating left-handed people from Europe with the middle name Stefan–there are probably a few out there, but wasting your time thinking about them is silly.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before, I will say it again.

Geoff Johns is the Zack Snyder of comics.

It's so obvious, yet I never would've thought of such an apt comparison.

Barry Allen and Hal Jordan should have stayed dead.

Cyborg has potential that DC won't allow to flourish. DC also seems to not care about black heroes in general.

Although he bungles the execution sometimes, Bendis is a good foundation man and decent writer.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
X-men is my favorite marvel franchise only under Spider-Man, that being said i dont give a FUCK about the dark phoenix saga. I dont care that the last stand or the current film ruined the story because I never cared for the original story.

I have never liked Jean Grey and i saw Emma replacing her as one of the the best things to happen in the early to mid 2000s X books.

I think apocalypse himself is a boring villain.

I absolutely love the Nunzio Defilippis to craig kyle/chris yost run of New X-Men and found it better than the grant morrison New X-Men which is vastly more popular

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how controversial this is, but:

Comics would be more interesting if characters were allowed to get older and go away.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Why buy the books? I'll just wait for the movie.
Me reading this thread:

giphy.gif

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
It's very hard to be emotionally involved in arcs because how nothing is permanent and there are so many versions of characters, so I can only enjoy comics in a "hey, in a vacuum this is nice" sort of way.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
comic books should be funny, not Young Adult literature angsty oh my god what will i do in life the anxiety and my secret super powers plus the stuff that happened this week.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
X-men is my favorite marvel franchise only under Spider-Man, that being said i dont give a FUCK about the dark phoenix saga. I dont care that the last stand or the current film ruined the story because I never cared for the original story.

I have never liked Jean Grey and i saw Emma replacing her as one of the the best things to happen in the early to mid 2000s X books.

Agreed. I'm not huge into X-Men besides a few creator runs here and there and the animated series but I've never been a fan of Jean and once I finally got around to the Dark Phoenix Saga I just didn't find it that interesting.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't like Otto Octavius as the Superior Spiderman.
What about Otto as the Superior Octopus?

As for me not only do I think Superior Spider-Man is one of the best modern day runs of spidey comics, I also think through Ock's view, decisions and failures is a top 5 all time story of why Peter is the ultimate Spider -Man and what makes him so awesome despite (and because) of his absence for the majority of the run.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
What about Otto as the Superior Octopus?

As for me not only do I think Superior Spider-Man is one of the best modern day runs of spidey comics, I also think through Ock's view, decisions and failures is a top 5 all time story of why Peter is the ultimate Spider -Man and what makes him so awesome despite (and because) of his absence for the majority of the run.

Superior Spiderman was a good story but I didn't care for Otto as a protagonist.

Jun 16, 2018
After reading the replies maybe it's not as controversial as I thought, but Bruce Wayne needs to go. He should be a supporting character who lives in the bat cave while someone like Dick or Damian wears the cowl.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Mark Millar can write wholesome books and not over the top blockbuster shit.
Ultimate Spider-Man is not that good.
Miles Morales is only great in Into The Spider-Verse.
Greg Land is not that bad.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Deodato Jr's art sucks a majority of the time. Sometimes it looks good but most of the time you get mess like this. I can't even describe what's going on with Wolverine's lower half.
old-man-logan-new-creative-team-ed-brisson-mike-deodato-the-maes-235342-1280x0.jpg

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico

I think apocalypse himself is a boring villain.

I absolutely love the Nunzio Defilippis to craig kyle/chris yost run of New X-Men and found it better than the grant morrison New X-Men which is vastly more popular
so much truth in this

Love Emma and the new X-Men and it sucks so many of those characters barely get used.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Dick Grayson should've stayed Batman. Bruce is boring

616 Spider-Man is great, but Ultimate Peter is better

Cyclops is underrated

I like the fresh take on Peter, not sure Ultimate is "superior", but otherwise we just became best friends.

Wait, this isnt drunk thread.

Here's a big one: I hate Wonder Woman. I get that she's the only icon option in some cases, get why the gay community loves her, all that. But eagle bustier, star panties, invisible jet but eff that she can fly, I wish someone could make her cool.

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017
Ironman was Right during both Civil war events

Cyclops and Emma Frost >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>Cyclops and Jean Grey

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Wolverine is kind of boring and people mostly like him because of how stereotypically edgy and badass he looks.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Born Again is a fucking boring trash fire that kinda looks ugly.

Nick Spencer sucks.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Watchman and TDKR weren't that good in the first place and aged like potato salad in the sun

I agree with TDK for sure. Watchmen is fine. Outside of the ending it kept it close to the source material, hell or high water, I respect that.

One More Day is ok and folks totally overreact to it

Nah it's awful. It could have been any character in Marvel who could have undone their marriage. Why him?

Superman is a fun character that works well when the writer isn't star struck.

Pretty general opinion. I agree.

Bruce Wayne is boring as shit and they should have let Dick keep the cowl.

As Batman, yes. I liked Bat-Grayson.

Vampire Mom Jubliee was the best development the character recieved since Gen-X and every time she goes back to the core team she gets regressed

Facts.

The Phoenix Saga is the worst thing that ever happened to the X-Men franchise.
It's not even that bad. It's just...Kinda bad.
But the weird reverence for it has frozen the franchise in time.
Let's just move past all that dumb shit already please.

Deathstroke beating the Justice League in Identity Crisis was quite fun.

I agree with Phoenix saga having too much impact on Jean grey and by extension the x-men. Tired of it being a plot device for when they can't think of a better plot device to power someone up. Been used by how many people now?

Disagree on the deathstroke thing. Green Lantern should have taken him out. Flash should have felt the sword and moved instantly. Bad writing. Your opinion is trash here.

Last edited:

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
1. Dan Slott's run wasn't all that bad. First few arcs were good.

2. All Marvel events in the past 10 years are snore fests.

3. Batman is in too many books and it's hard to follow.

4. Superman is in too many books and it's hard to follow.

5. Morrison's Green Lantern is godlike.

6. Final Crisis makes no sense.

7. In the right hands Venom is pretty good. See Donny Cates.

8. Toqger is trash.

9. All Kamen Riders after Gaim are garbage. Faiz is still the best one, then Black.....don't @ me.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018
Here's a big one: I hate Wonder Woman. I get that she's the only icon option in some cases, get why the gay community loves her, all that. But eagle bustier, star panties, invisible jet but eff that she can fly, I wish someone could make her cool.
Have you read Greg Rucka Wonder Woman? I'm not a Wonder Woman fan but when he writes her it's great

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
The X-Men being written as equivalent to real world minority groups is stupid as hell and does a disservice to both the real people who struggled and fought for their rights, and the interesting moral issue of how do you handle the next stage of human evolution. Having the ability to mind control people, or having bone claws, or be able to fire lasers from your eyes at will is not at all the fucking same as being black or gay or whatever.

The only time I ever cared about the Greek Gods in a WW story is during the Azzarelo run, and that was mainly for the Chiang designs. Otherwise they're boring and writers should give Diana's mortal foes more love (with the exception of Circe and Cheetah who are awesome).

May 9, 2019
Superpowers are handled like complete shit and people are okay with it.
Oda did more with his version of superpowers than the entire Marvel Comics managed to do with a zillion of characters in fifty fucking years.

The fantastic element is handled like complete shit throughout 99% of usa-made comics.
Characters are oftentimes good, though.
Well Oda is the only one who is writing his own work. Too many writers purposely low ball or exaggerate characters in comics. There will never be an agreement in power levels.

May 9, 2019
Linda Danvers is a way better Supergirl than "crybaby" Kara Zor-El

DC purposely shitted on John Stewart for years and he hasn't recovered since

Barry Allen and Hal Jordan need to remain dead and disgraced

The Justice League International run is the best JL run ever

Comics have better female characters than Manga and are overall just treated better

Storm has outgrown the X-men and needs to be on another team

Constantine was the worst addition to the magic side of DC

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Peter David is a lame writer.

If you think "Marvel or DC?" is a valid question, you're what's wrong with comics.

Shared universes was a cute gimmick that's outlived its novelty and smothers mainstream comics.

There isn't a single superhero movie that's a truly great film. The best comic book adaptation (and a great film) is Persepolis.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I love narration and do not mind blocks of text everywhere. The only problem I have with narration when dialogue becomes narration

I don't like how K Vaughan writes, the only series of his I enjoyed was runaways. Y the last man never really worked for me and I don't like Saga

Watchmen is vastly overrated and much of Moore's work is better

Lastly, comics>manga

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
Martian Manhunter is consistently the worst and most boring part of Justice League.

The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants besides Magneto are pitiful jobbers that should never be considered actual threats.

Norman Osborn is a horrible arch-nemesis for Spider-Man. Doc Ock is the "superior" choice.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
If it's not black and white, creator-owned, and independently published... it's corporate trash don't even bother.