• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
What if Microsoft could be lining up a return for the tongue-slingin', head-bashin' heroes? There's a possibility.

David Wise, who serves as a composer for various games including Donkey Kong Country and the 3D platformer Yooka-Laylee, has a web page talking about the projects he's worked on or is working on currently. Among them is Battletoads, which as we mentioned, may fans appreciate.

But then something interesting came up. A friend of ours managed to capture some images hinting at something in his video game soundtrack lineup: something called Battletoads 20/20. You can see the images below.

battletoads-1107354.jpeg

As you can see, Battletoads 20/20 is in plain view in both shots. However, when you go back to David's page, you'll see that it's changed, with just 20/20 listed and titled (New Music Project).

Granted, this could all just be wishful thinking. Again, it could just be an error on David's part (again, it happens) and nothing could be happening. But Microsoft did promise some surprises at E3, so...you never know.

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/05/06/new-battletoads-game-happening-xbox-one-rare-ltd/

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
This has been rumored for at least two E3's now... Hope to see a new Battletoads game at some point, but I'm at the wait and see point

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt we'll ever get the Bayonetta style 3 player co-op Battletoads I want. A simple old-school 2D one would be OK, I guess.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Has an industry veteran ever listed an unannounced title like that? Just randomly posting that they worked on it?

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
If Battletoads is coming back (and that's an if), I want it to be a 3D reboot not old school 2D. The indie market already covers the itch for old school 2D.

Oct 28, 2017
So, I know a person who I met when I still did stuff for a gaming site and as far as I can tell there was a Battletoads game in development.
This person told me She/he saw the game in action but wouldn't tell me anything about it.
I learned about the game after that person came back from some kind of Xbox party thing (in I think 2015 but I don't remember the year anymore) where that person got a t-shirt of the Battletoads logo(the same one Phil Spencer wore on stage at E3) and I asked Him/Her about it.
And this part is just me speculating but considering Rash showed up in KI and the fact that the Rare Collection had new artwork of the Toads while using old art for literally everything else plus Phil's shirt leads me to believe that what that person told me was true.
I really don't think the person was lying to me(I mean it could still be but I highly doubt that.) about the fact that the game existed.
I don't think many would actually believe me and the info I gave here is pretty much useless but with all those games Microsoft canned in the past few years I really wanted to say something about this cause to me it looked like they canned that game as well.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno man... it had its place in the 80's and 90's but it was never THAT amazing...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The question with Battletoads is do you make a straight up beat em up like the arcade game and risk being bland, or do you make a game that can't decide on a genre like the original and Battlemaniacs and risk having players get annoyed because they expected a beat em up?

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If battletoads is a one of the games Phil has been holding in the chamber.....lol

Social media and memes have warped what people really want. On the internet it looks like everyone wants, nay, NEEDS Battletoads! In reality the people who actually care are such a minority.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Social media and memes have warped what people really want. On the internet it looks like everyone wants, nay, NEEDS Battletoads! In reality the people who actually care are such a minority.
Im imagining the reaction now if that's one of the games they go up there and announce at e3. If they could let viewers chime in with sound they'd get booed off the stage

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling a company as big and moneyed as Microsoft has measures to sift through the memes and figure out what people actually want.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Its been hinted at for years. There is a Developer in the Rare Replay Videos hinting at it, the characters are in KI and Ready Player One as well.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
There was plenty of smoke around this a few years ago. I wonder if it was canned, or they've just been working on it for a few years? I am totally down for a new Battletoads, in the vein of the NES original. Despite what some say, I believe it is truly one of the best games on that system and it's still pretty unique to this day.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How do you even do battle toads in modern day gaming short of a straight up difficult as hell 2d platforming?

I loved battle toads as a kid and I found a great appreciation for it when I played it in rare replay recently but I just feel it was maybe one of those Wierd 90s things like biker mice from mars and I don't see how it could successfully rebooted.

Having said that Rash in KI is a great character.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Battletoads returning would be like the MediEvil announcement from last PSX.
"oh my gosh it's back!!!" - loudest 5 people in the audience, while no one else cares. Except MediEvil might be more fondly remembered than Battletoads

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's about an old grizzled bearded Battletoad exploring an open linear world with his uppity tadpole?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
The page is different now:

"Specializing in Video Game Soundtracks and Sound Design. Nintendo: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze | Sumo Digital: Snake Pass. | Playtonic: Yooka Laylee. | Rare Ltd: Battletoads, | Nyamyam: Tengami | David Wise: 20/20 [New Music Project]"

It might've just been an error in the way the page was formatted or something.

Edit: Oh, duh, that was mentioned in the OP. Well, either way, I'm still betting it was a simple mistake in how it was posted on the site.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018
I still get music from Battletoads in Battlemaniacs and Battletoads/Double Dragon playing in my mind randomly, from time to time, all these years later. Will be very excited if this news is true and the game turns out to be good!

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
The question with Battletoads is do you make a straight up beat em up like the arcade game and risk being bland, or do you make a game that can't decide on a genre like the original and Battlemaniacs and risk having players get annoyed because they expected a beat em up?

Nobody gives the slightest shit about the arcade version.

Oct 28, 2017
So, I know a person who I met when I still did stuff for a gaming site and as far as I can tell there was a Battletoads game in development.
This person told me She/he saw the game in action but wouldn't tell me anything about it.
I learned about the game after that person came back from some kind of Xbox party thing (in I think 2015 but I don't remember the year anymore) where that person got a t-shirt of the Battletoads logo(the same one Phil Spencer wore on stage at E3) and I asked Him/Her about it.
And this part is just me speculating but considering Rash showed up in KI and the fact that the Rare Collection had new artwork of the Toads while using old art for literally everything else plus Phil's shirt leads me to believe that what that person told me was true.
I really don't think the person was lying to me(I mean it could still be but I highly doubt that.) about the fact that the game existed.
I don't think many would actually believe me and the info I gave here is pretty much useless but with all those games Microsoft canned in the past few years I really wanted to say something about this cause to me it looked like they canned that game as well.
I guess it wasn't canceled after all. Or maybe it's an entirely new thing.
Regardless this was all I know and I'm glad its real.

Status
Not open for further replies.