• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Shame on you for giving in. Marvel does this shit every time they get their way with the last pricing benchmark. Next they'll be drawing the line at $5.99 for 20-page issues. Because they are cunts like that.

The age of Sillymonkey OTs has finally arrived!

I knew they were going to go this route way back when they started teasing the Death of Thor arc.

You shut your fucking mouth. I am seeing it Friday morning.

Do you feel the same about the recent DC price stuff? And JL being twice a month at 3.99

So what's better than $600?

$850.

I'm sorry, but I'm still not seeing a problem here. If you want an original Babs Tarr piece, there's only one source. So she's kinda got a monopoly on that, as does any other artist selling commissions.

Sure, and as I said she has done nothing wrong. It just makes me look elsewhere. There's no need to be defensive.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I don't totally get what you're hung up about Messi. It's the idea of "just" buying the sketch and the artist keeping the rights to do whatever with it, like selling reproductions of it ?

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't totally get what you're hung up about Messi. It's the idea of "just" buying the sketch and the artist keeping the rights to do whatever with it, like selling reproductions of it ?

To me a commission is a one of a kind thing. That's the appeal.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Do you feel the same about the recent DC price stuff? And JL being twice a month at 3.99

Of course. Single prices are shit. They never should have gone over $2.50 an issue. I have nothing against Marvel other than their rabid and constant fascination with increasing pricing.

To me a commission is a one of a kind thing. That's the appeal.

And it still is. Prelims are not reproductions.

I'll probably put it on a lazy Susan so I can swivel it around.

You could also put it on a not-so-lazy Susan and let it do the rotating for you!

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. Single prices are shit. They never should have gone over $2.50 an issue. I have nothing against Marvel other than their rabid and constant fascination with increasing pricing.

You could also put it on a not-so-lazy Susan and let it do the rotating for you!

Companies gotta make the money to pay the artists though.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Holy shit at this week's Moon Knight. Just. Wow. This is NOT what I expected after the previous issues. Good shit.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Then what is a good comparison?
From what I know about Equinox the problem was how Lemire used her and then him leaving rather than her being a new young hero.

Snowguard will depend on if the creators can make her into a character people like and what happens after they leave Champions. If Champions continues afterwards she could be on the team or she could follow Zub to another book.

Supply and demand, though. If the book isn't selling, or selling at the price they want, then where is the money supposed to come from? There are books I won't pay $3.99 for, but would be fine paying half that to read.
If comics sold better they would probably be able to charge lower prices. We see DC raising they're prices now as they're dipping a bit.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Romita Jr. is coming to Brazil's CCXP this year... I might need to actually attend this event once in my life. RIP my wallet

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
For Agent Venom the Rick Remender run is what you want.

For Classic Venom there are two volumes that collect all his stuff from Spidey - Spider-Man Birth of Venom and Spider-Man Vengeance of Venom. There were also a bunch of miniseries from the 90s of varying quality that have been collected. It's widely believed the movie is an adaptation of the Lethal Protector series, so if that might be worth checking out based on your interest level for the movie. There's also been a couple of Venom vs Carnage miniseries and there was the Anti-Venom book as well. There's been a lot of Venom over the years.

While I have fond memories of the 90s stuff, I also haven't read any of it since it initially came out, so there's that.

Ive never actually read any of Remender's Venom run. Need to remedy that before I drown in hobo piss!

Does he start out the run as Agent Venom, or does that happen after a few issues like Franken-Castle in his Punisher run?

Also I always hear people talk about Anti-Venom with high regard, is there a go to story about him, especially for someone who doesnt have a clue who he is?

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
Ive never actually read any of Remender's Venom run. Need to remedy that before I drown in hobo piss!

Does he start out the run as Agent Venom, or does that happen after a few issues like Franken-Castle in his Punisher run?

Also I always hear people talk about Anti-Venom with high regard, is there a go to story about him, especially for someone who doesnt have a clue who he is?

Anti-Venom showed up near the end of Spider-Island, I believe. I think the Agent Venom stuff is pretty early in the run.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Where did he become Agent Venom then? Or is that explained in the Remender run?

Anti-Venom showed up near the end of Spider-Island, I believe. I think the Agent Venom stuff is pretty early in the run.

So Slott came up with Anti-Venom?

Remender's EVERYTHING is so damn good

Fixed that for you.

Speaking of Remender's awesomeness, Death or Glory is going to be an on-going! Just got confirmed today by Bengal for me on Twitter, thought it was only going to be a limited series like Tokyo Ghost.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remender's Venom is so damn good

does something I love and takes a b-tier villain (Jack O'Lantern) and makes them great

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I like this one, but I need to see how tall it is. It should be pretty tall for a 1/10. The only thing I don't like about the Iron Studios version is that the Infinity Gauntlet isn't front-and-center. It's behind him. So it makes the LEDs kind of pointless because who's going to even see them back there?

11 inches apparently, least that is what BBTS has, so yeah.XD

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Agent Venom is all Remender and shows up in the first issue.

The Anti-Venom stuff was pretty good, I really enjoyed that era of Slott Spidey. I'm not sure what kind of impact that development will have without some background info on Eddie and the symbiote though (mostly because I don't remember how much was explained).

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Companies gotta make the money to pay the artists though.

I've re-examined my digital purchasing, mostly because I was irritated with the Comixology "Collections" that were going on sale for Marvel stuff @ $0.99. I had purchased so much stuff that hadn't been read before the cheap collection hit.

Previously my buying requirement was:
-It's on sale and I might want to read it someday (my threshold for $0.99 buys is very low)
-It's a new release by a writer/artist team that I like
-It's a new release that involves a character or team of characters I like

Note that I hate the collections for some reason, so I always do single issues.

The irritation temporarily put me off new buys altogether for a month or so, but I've wish listed stuff weekly.

I think going forward I'll buy:
-It's on sale and I might want to read it someday (my threshold for $0.99 buys is very low)
-It's on sale and on my wish list
-It's a new release by a writer/artist team that I like

I'm sensitive to the paying of artists, but I was buying too much trash b/c I have some nostalgic character interest, from a time when the art / writing was great (or I was a kid). I will say that Wednesdays are far less special this past month. I think the flaw in my current plan is that I won't discover fantastic creative teams as quickly as before, but I'll save money.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Messi should read the Nocenti/Kelley Jones Venom mini The Madness. He is her biggest fan after all.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
That's fair. I didn't know the 90's rad attitude was still integral to the character, and I guess I didn't expect everyone that sees him to love him and his nonsense. I was probably expecting too much to think a character would roll their eyes at him.
It's how I've always seen him. That's why Eggman hates him so much (aside from the plan foiling).
Only for the first month.

I like her design.
Once Zub leaves, he already tossed out Red Locust and NuFalcon out.
I'm upset about Red Locust. Falcon and Patriot are eh.
Best Venom:

rco006.jpg
The Wolverine issue of that was legit good.
For Agent Venom the Rick Remender run is what you want.

For Classic Venom there are two volumes that collect all his stuff from Spidey - Spider-Man Birth of Venom and Spider-Man Vengeance of Venom. There were also a bunch of miniseries from the 90s of varying quality that have been collected. It's widely believed the movie is an adaptation of the Lethal Protector series, so if that might be worth checking out based on your interest level for the movie. There's also been a couple of Venom vs Carnage miniseries and there was the Anti-Venom book as well. There's been a lot of Venom over the years.

While I have fond memories of the 90s stuff, I also haven't read any of it since it initially came out, so there's that.
Space Knight was also my shit.

I assumed she was on Gold

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
How is the Rebirth run of Harley Quinn and Suicide Squad? Those worth reading?

Harley is the same book as pre Rebirth. If you liked that it's more of it. Let's hope humphries breathes new life into it and brings her back to gotham.

Suicide Squad starts slow and Meh but quickly becomes amazing once Jim Lee leaves.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How is the Rebirth run of Harley Quinn and Suicide Squad? Those worth reading?

Suicide Squad is really solid. It gets the tone right and puts a lot of focus on Waller as a character, which I've enjoyed. It's sort of meh until after the JL vs. SS crossover but since then has been one of my favorites.

I also think it will read very well collected, since there's a lot of bleed between storylines. I've been tempted to double dip on the hardcovers for that reason.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I really like what Zdarsky is doing with Spectacular.

Avengers 690 was a good conclusion for this era of the team, but I'm curious to see what happens with a lot of these characters. Some are so notable that they have to end up somewhere.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder for ya'll so you don't forget. BUG TP was out today. Pick that shit up.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GUYS I'VE FIGURED IT OUT

Grant Morrison should write Destiny

Holy shit it's fucking perfect

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
How was Peter David's run on Captain Marvel? This one:

Finally started Avengers Forever, and holy crap does Busiek use a TON of narration bubbles lol. I dont think ive ever seen a comic use so many per page, I might as well be reading a novel. Considering subbing again for MU and might check out his Avengers run. But Captain Marvel has me super interested in checking out more of though.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
Bug was amazing. Anything that references classic Kirby Sandman, with the whistle and the chute is an A+ book.

Status
Not open for further replies.