• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Boy?

• Izuku Midoriya

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • Katsuki Bakugo

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Shoto Todoroki

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
that would imply it was ever good to begin with
Huehuehue. During my early forum days and hanging out at a comics thread, the peeps in it didnt have anything good to say about it. Trying to go thru what bat books and arcs i am missing so ill settle for streets of gotham far as Hush goes.
No Road Home had an excellent finale. Waid's fingerprints are all over it though, so I'm not sure why he didn't write Avengers that way when he was doing it monthly.
Huh i should check that book out.

Oh shit The Goon is back.

I recall it being good for its time at least. The one shot that predates it s did well enough to warrant a series.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I want to say that even though Kill or be Killed is super gritty and dark-there was one part where I had to put the book down because it affected me emotionally and personally very deeply. It was when Kira was talking to her therapist about her family issues - how her mother had left her father and the father never got over it, and then ended up in a hospital death bed. It was framed with all these old family photos and it really got to me and reminded me of my own family.

The writing in this book is on another planet. Brubaker is just an incredible writer.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I want to say that even though Kill or be Killed is super gritty and dark-there was one part where I had to put the book down because it affected me emotionally and personally very deeply. It was when Kira was talking to her therapist about her family issues - how her mother had left her father and the father never got over it, and then ended up in a hospital death bed. It was framed with all these old family photos and it really got to me and reminded me of my own family.

The writing in this book is on another planet. Brubaker is just an incredible writer.
You're not too late to get in on the ground floor of the Criminal on going. Just three issues in if you wanna catch up before it gets out of hand. No need to read all the rest before the on going series. It is in canon, but that's not now Criminal's story telling works. It's all different stories in different time frames. The times they intersect are interesting, but never the point. Good stuff with similarly affecting moments.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

Anyone couldve told you that as early as 2005 ;p
I disnt know he wrote this series, will check it out thanks.

The most depressing thing I saw was Grant saying he doesn't read today's comics anymore. That's never a good idea.
Woah. I wonder if he had reached a point where he wanta to stop writing for comics soon >_>;

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
That was the exact line that broke my heart. I always felt he had passion about the medium but he came across as disinterested.

Grant talked a while back about how he felt superhero comics were part of the military-industrial entertainment complex, or something like that. They didn't represent what he loved anymore. To that I'd tell him: he should really read Al Ewing and James Tynion's stuff.

Woah. I wonder if he had reached a point where he wanta to stop writing for comics soon >_>;

Doubtful. But writers always want to get detached from comics when they get older, not realizing it leaves them somewhat out of touch with what's going on.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Finished BPRD Devil You Know Donniewahlberg tim1138

I got through 12-15 in a single sitting lol. I don't think I feel quite as negative about it as either of you, but it's certainly clear the book lost the heart and soul with Arcudi's departure so I get where you guys are coming from. Hell on Earth really feels like the proper ending for the cast, while Devil You Know feels more like an extended epilogue for the universe as a whole. A lot of it could have been cut down but I'm guessing they wanted to get out a big hardcover just for this?

It did lack the big character moments and development the series was really great at (ESPECIALLY for some certain major characters), but the final issue was really just... perfect. It felt like closing the book on this universe in a really nice way. It wasn't really surprising with how any of it played out but it was satisfying nonetheless.

Overall, I really gotta say I'll miss this series. I can't think of many books that have even gone on for 162 issues, and it's even harder to think of many that can retain such quality throughout and have a great conclusion. Mignola did good with letting Arcudi handle it. He really breathed life into the universe.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Grant talked a while back about how he felt superhero comics were part of the military-industrial entertainment complex, or something like that. They didn't represent what he loved anymore. To that I'd tell him: he should really read Al Ewing and James Tynion's stuff.
He probably didn't vocalize it well, but there's definitely something there to what he's saying. It's also something to keep in mind with Superhero media going forward when approaching it critically.

He's not wrong. Marvel tried putting out a comic with Northop-Grumman. The movies and TV shows tend glamorize the military. It's present. No denying that.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Ill finish up devil you know once the tpb goes up.
If there is one thing to commend bprd and hellboy for is that they stayed the course for a living apocalypse setting for the better of 5+ years.

Doubtful. But writers always want to get detached from comics when they get older, not realizing it leaves them somewhat out of touch with what's going on.
Ill check some of Tynion's work, but i agree with some of your points. While i fell off comics some time after dc's new 52, there were some good stuff still being published and am aiming to catch up. Maybe fans of his work should compile a list of 100 series from the past decade he should read and tweet it to him. :p

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

Kill or Be Killed is phenomenal and, pertinent to the last few posts, it's remarkable how smoothly Brubaker has transitioned away from cape comics. It's the kind of creative divorce most writers that do a lot of cape books could only dream of, but he's done it and only gotten better.

Grant is so wildly creative but such a romantic when it comes to super heroes. If he's not reading current stuff, I feel likes he's potententially sunsetting. Not that he hasn't earned it though.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Just completely caught up on Immortal Hulk.

Ewing and Bennet the gods.
Wait, Old Man Logan (the Bendis Secret Wars mini) isnt that great? I always heard it was pretty important and worth reading for the Lemire ongoing that followed?

Are there any other minis or books I should put on my radar once I finally do finish Hickman's Avengers and Secret Wars? Right now its just Old Man Logan and finish Aaron's Thor. Might check out Ultimate End and the Avengers World "before 8 months later" arc.
It's not bad, but it's not necessary either. Just kinda there. It has Sorrentino art, so that's good.
Ok nice. Thanks for writing this up for me. It wasnt totally clear to me if thats what was inside that box thing Doom launched at the Beyonders or not since they didnt explicitly show it.

Overall I thought it was a good ending to the story. Just started reading Secret Wars. Ive read that before, but this was the first time reading the second half of Hickman's Avengers.

While your here, what was up with the Nation X stuff and Cyclops? Was that all setup in Bendis's Uncanny?

And as for the Phoenix Egg, did it just give him the power of the Phoenix again like in AvX? Dont recall the egg being in AvX, but its been awhile.
The Xmen stuff is complicated. From what I understand there was a problem with Bendis/whoever was writing Xmen and Editorial leading up to secret wars.

We were SUPPOSED to get an explanation of the "Nation X" stuff and where the hell the Phoenix egg came from but we didn't. All of that occurred in the background.

"A" phoenix egg shows up again in the Thanos miniseries after Secret Wars in the possession of Thane. Possession of it turns the wielder into a Phoenix Avatar, is basically what it does. It did not show up in AvX.
In Latour's Wolverine and the X-Men, the end of the first arc has Cyclops helping Wolverine raid a Phoenix cult base that gave their members real low level psychic abilities using what appears to be a Phoenix egg shard. After they rescue Quire and are about to leave, Cyclops says he wants to stay and have a look around.

Next thing you know he shows up with Phoenix powers in Secret Wars.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finished BPRD Devil You Know Donniewahlberg tim1138

I got through 12-15 in a single sitting lol. I don't think I feel quite as negative about it as either of you, but it's certainly clear the book lost the heart and soul with Arcudi's departure so I get where you guys are coming from. Hell on Earth really feels like the proper ending for the cast, while Devil You Know feels more like an extended epilogue for the universe as a whole. A lot of it could have been cut down but I'm guessing they wanted to get out a big hardcover just for this?

It did lack the big character moments and development the series was really great at (ESPECIALLY for some certain major characters), but the final issue was really just... perfect. It felt like closing the book on this universe in a really nice way. It wasn't really surprising with how any of it played out but it was satisfying nonetheless.

Overall, I really gotta say I'll miss this series. I can't think of many books that have even gone on for 162 issues, and it's even harder to think of many that can retain such quality throughout and have a great conclusion. Mignola did good with letting Arcudi handle it. He really breathed life into the universe.

I'm just gonna throw everything in spoiler tags since I know there's folks working through it all.

On the whole the last issue was really well done and the only way things could have ended. My bigger issues are with the cycle as a whole and how it was basically a Hellboy book with the Bureau there as set dressing and cannon fodder. Donniewahlberg and I were talking about it a lot yesterday, and he pointed out you could pull out all the stuff with Hellboy and Ed and then the final issue and have had a really nice Hellboy mini that puts a bow on it all. It's like Mignola knew the ending for *his* characters but had no idea what to do with everyone Arcudi created, so they were all unceremoniously killed off with nary a reaction to be seen. For a book that always treated character deaths as a big deal, the deaths of Ashley, Howard's, Abe, et al, really felt cheap. It was like Mignola was clearing the board to time Hellboy his big moment and the hell with everyone else.

That actually brings up my one issue with the finale, the thought that Liz was just hanging out in limbo waiting for HB to give his permission for her to cleanse the world. Liz had so much growth over BPRD, to see her stripped of all agency and essentially revert back to her old state was a bit disheartening. Arcudi's Liz wouldn't have given it a second thought, she would have incinerated everything (including herself) if that's what she thought it took.

And I will never understand why they brought Abe back only to have him hang out in the background and then die in the water all over again.

Honestly everything should have ended with the finales of Abe's solo book, Hell on Earth, and in Hell. Other than the last issue I don't see myself ever going back to The Devil You Know.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Man I need to catch up on BPRD. I hate not being part of all these discussions! I stopped somewhere in the Hell on Earth arc. I feel almost of just re-reading it all

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I don't for a second believe this is the last Snyder and Capullo Batman story the last part of their Batman story maybe, but they will do other Batman arcs.

Also I'm happy at that Jane stuff.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I don't think they are done with solo Batman stories like they are implying.
I think they're implying that all other stories they do will include and also have a focus on other characters.

Tbh, I find Snyder's Batman have more weak moments than strong. Love them as a team, but want them to do a different character together.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I think they are just taking a bit of a break from solo Batman. They are probably doing a Metal 2 like book after Year of the villain and Doom War. Also, Snyder is about to be pretty busy with creater owned stuff too.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
While I'm happy for

Jane

That's another gay asgardian character that got murked

still bitter over the sera and leah stuff

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're implying that all other stories they do will include and also have a focus on other characters.

Tbh, I find Snyder's Batman have more weak moments than strong. Love them as a team, but want them to do a different character together.

Wonder Woman maybe?

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Cullen Bunn's Asgardians of the Galaxy shouldn't be as good as it is.

It's the Angela sequel I've wanted forever.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I don't for a second believe this is the last Snyder and Capullo Batman story the last part of their Batman story maybe, but they will do other Batman arcs.

Also I'm happy at that Jane stuff.
Snyder admitted they'll probably do more Batman stuff in the future, but this is the last for now.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
There was that Swamp Thing book that Capullo said he was doing like a year ago, but still havent heard anything more about it.

I also think by "last" Batman book, they mean that this is the last story in their timeline, as in the ending. Doesnt meant they cant do stuff that takes places before this story.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
What CBR reader do iOS folks use? I've used ComicZeal for years but it's not supported any longer and buggy. I tried using Panels and iComics but they don't have some of the features that I'm accustomed to.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
There was that Swamp Thing book that Capullo said he was doing like a year ago, but still havent heard anything more about it.

I also think by "last" Batman book, they mean that this is the last story in their timeline, as in the ending. Doesnt meant they cant do stuff that takes places before this story.

That was in a Walmart Halloween special

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Why are so many books having stephen strange as a guest lately? Now Ironheart has him in it too. Still, not that I'm complaining, just an observation

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to give my Saladin Double dip take:

I hate to say it but Ms.Marvel really needed this arc and tone shift, the last few issues of her book were so damn inconsequential and plain.

Miles is still good and just reminds me that more writers should learn how to do one and dones like Ahmed can.

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
What CBR reader do iOS folks use? I've used ComicZeal for years but it's not supported any longer and buggy. I tried using Panels and iComics but they don't have some of the features that I'm accustomed to.

Been ages since I used a CBR reader (I'm mostly a Comixology/Marvel Unlimited, DC Universe guy now.), but I dug Chunky Comic Reader, and it looks like it's updated regularly these days: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chunky-comic-reader/id663567628?mt=8

Status
Not open for further replies.