• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best Boy?

• Izuku Midoriya

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • Katsuki Bakugo

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Shoto Todoroki

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
omg. Has the unthinkable happened? A Green Lantern comic that is actually fun? Green Lantern: Earth One was pretty decent!

Silver Surfer Requiem. Great read. Also, he had a pretty good run in Cover by my lord and savior, BMB.
esad-ribic.jpg

All the manga posts before this post made me read this right to left.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Now that im almost done with Secret Wars, I kinda want to read some Fantastic Four soon. Aside from Hickman's run and Dan Slott's start, is there anything that really stands out for a newer reader? I hear great things about the Mark Waid run. Grabbed the first complete collection to see how I like it.

That MiracleMan video was pretty informative. I knew something weird had happened to the rights for Captain Marvel, but this was a pretty neat story. Wasnt Grant Morrison supposed to do some work on the book?

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Now that im almost done with Secret Wars, I kinda want to read some Fantastic Four soon. Aside from Hickman's run and Dan Slott's start, is there anything that really stands out for a newer reader? I hear great things about the Mark Waid run. Grabbed the first complete collection to see how I like it.

That MiracleMan video was pretty informative. I knew something weird had happened to the rights for Captain Marvel, but this was a pretty neat story. Wasnt Grant Morrison supposed to do some work on the book?
Yes, but it was canned before he could tag in after Gaiman, iirc. There was an unpublished script that didn't get drawn he turned in that got turned into an Annual for the Marvel rerelease that Quesda drew.

Paradax

Jun 1, 2018
Thats true. I dont think he always had this style, but its worth it. Doesnt look like he did all that much before his work on Ultimates anyway.
He used to paint his own pencils with a very time-consuming method. That's why Marvel would only put him on special minis.

Also, he's very selective choosing work. He's gone as far as declining or quitting projects because he felt were too derivative or they had event tie-ins.

Last edited:

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
So, I finished Morrison JLA for the first time, and... is it weird to say I felt a little let down? Like, it most certainly wasn't bad, but usually Morrison blows me away, whereas this left me going "yeah, that was some solid comics." Though I just capped it off with the Earth 2 story, and THAT was great. (I'd say Prometheus was probably the other high point for me.)

Oh, and I carried on into Waid, which was okay. Actually kind of funny in that he and the other random fill-ins were totally trying to do their best Morrison impression there, as it all felt like much more... abstract, I guess, stories than I would normally expect from a title like Justice League. Waid did actually have a moment I appreciated though, in that intentional or not, he totally had a "coming out" scene for the superheroes revealing their identities which worked for me... until it rolled into his next arc which I found to be particularly weak.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So, I finished Morrison JLA for the first time, and... is it weird to say I felt a little let down? Like, it most certainly wasn't bad, but usually Morrison blows me away, whereas this left me going "yeah, that was some solid comics." Though I just capped it off with the Earth 2 story, and THAT was great. (I'd say Prometheus was probably the other high point for me.)

Oh, and I carried on into Waid, which was okay. Actually kind of funny in that he and the other random fill-ins were totally trying to do their best Morrison impression there, as it all felt like much more... abstract, I guess, stories than I would normally expect from a title like Justice League. Waid did actually have a moment I appreciated though, in that intentional or not, he totally had a "coming out" scene for the superheroes revealing their identities which worked for me... until it rolled into his next arc which I found to be particularly weak.
Yeah, I think it's one of the weaker Morrison runs, myself. Not to say it was bad or anything.

Paradax

Jun 1, 2018

I think the problem with Morrison's JLA is that Howard Porter was too inexperienced at that time. Many artists have said that Morrison writes some very demanding and challenging scripts. I can see Porter struggling to translate all of Morrison's ideas and concepts into drawings.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem with Morrison's JLA is that Howard Porter was too inexperienced at that time. Many artists have said that Morrison writes some very demanding and challenging scripts. I can see Porter struggling to translate all of Morrison's ideas and concepts into drawings.
Yeah, the art was probably the weakest part. Porter is great now, but back then, ehhh.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

How did you feel about World War 3 or Rock of Ages? Or rather, pretty much everything with Darkseid? I always hear that those are the best parts of Morrison's JLA, along with Prometheus. I havent gotten to that part yet, but I liked what ive read of it so far. The only real complaint I have is the overuse of narration bubbles, but that was the norm.

Also, did you like Waid's Tower of Babel?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I am watching the end of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina atm. This second half of season 1 or Season 2, whatever you want to call it, has been awesome imo. I saw that it was getting mostly negative reception in the OT, but ive been really enjoying it. I think it works better as a second half to season 1 though. I really like everything they are doing with Sabrina being a "Herald of Hell". There have been 1 or 2 episodes that just felt like filler, but overall this felt really well done.

I would totally read a Sabrina comic that followed the same sort of narrative. Kinda surprised they havent just put someone else on the book since the current writer is just focused on the show.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I love Sabrina when it leans into the fuckedness of the series.

I am utterly bored out of my mind by sabrina when it has to do with her high school life

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
How did you feel about World War 3 or Rock of Ages? Or rather, pretty much everything with Darkseid? I always hear that those are the best parts of Morrison's JLA, along with Prometheus. I havent gotten to that part yet, but I liked what ive read of it so far. The only real complaint I have is the overuse of narration bubbles, but that was the norm.

Also, did you like Waid's Tower of Babel?
They were definitely solid, but yeah, that same feel I mentioned above where it was like "that was good comics, but not the top of the line stuff I'm used to from Morrison". I think the art was definitely a good part of it now that you guys bring it up though, yeah.

As for Tower of Babel it was weird for me because I had heard the part about the plans plenty of times in the past, but never the actual titular Babel bit of it, so my biggest takeaway was that all that stuff about "I stole your language!" sort of bogged down/diluted the story for me, kind of, to be honest. Feel like it didn't really need that element to work and probably could've focused a little better without it.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I love Sabrina when it leans into the fuckedness of the series.

I am utterly bored out of my mind by sabrina when it has to do with her high school life
For sure. I think thats what people in the OT were wanting or something? The back half of this season was exactly what I wanted from this show after seeing the first season.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

My thoughts as well on the run. Didn't really leave a lasting impression and taken as a whole it all kind of felt disjointed.

I think editorial mandates kind of hobbled it a bit as characters needed to be swapped around haphazardly according to their runs, which left Morrison stuck with doing a few mini arcs that kind of felt similar despite how crazy they came across individually.

Had an argument with a friend last year expressing my disappointment but he made the point it worked better for him waiting for the singles when it was releasing at the time than binging it all quickly like I did.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I think at the time Morrison's JLA probably worked a heck of a lot better than it does these days. I've seen it referred to as the first big summer blockbuster of comics. Which kinda makes sense considering it predates stuff like The Authority.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Gaiman explaining Miracleman and what came after in comics.

When the hell is the rest of Gaiman Miracleman coming out? It's been decades, I would have thought Marvel would be chomping at the bit to get Gaiman writing for them. Right now it seems like they're just sitting on the rights.
I think at the time Morrison's JLA probably worked a heck of a lot better than it does these days. I've seen it referred to as the first big summer blockbuster of comics. Which kinda makes sense considering it predates stuff like The Authority.
Gotta remember also that Morrison was the one who really redefined the modern JL. He was coming in after the more down to Earth and comedic JL that was going on at the time (which imo was great in its own right). Now all of sudden the JL was living in a space station above Earth, and Morrison was positioning them as modern days Gods, and they were doing crazy ass feats and what not. Now though we take all that for granted, so it doesn't seem as special for us now. Of course Batman is a prep time god. Of course Superman can arm wrestle angels. But coming off of the 90s series where all the heroes were dramatically depowered? It would've been a bit of shock.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, but it was canned before he could tag in after Gaiman, iirc. There was an unpublished script that didn't get drawn he turned in that got turned into an Annual for the Marvel rerelease that Quesda drew.

Actually, in the way Morrison tells it, he was gonna pick up from when Moore quit doing the strip in Warrior. Gonna quote the man himself:

"They asked me to continue Marvelman, because Moore had fallen out with everyone in the magazine and taken away his script, and they said 'Would you follow this up?'"

"I wrote to him and said, 'They've asked me to do this, but obviously I really respect your work and I wouldn't want to mess anything up, but I don't want anyone else to do it and mess it up.' And he sent me back this really weird letter, and I remember the opening of it. It said, 'I don't want this to sound like the softly hissed tones of a mafia hitman, but back off.'"

Eventually Moore picks the series back up at Eclipse Comics, and then Neil Gaiman comes and follows up there.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me, its still heads and shoulders above all the JLA/authority/ultimates/widescreen comics that have come out since. There's a plethora of ideas in Damn near every issue that screams "COMICS!!!". I reread it about once a year or so, it's in my top ten comic book runs.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Squirrel Girl was gonna be cancelled after 5 issues and people were dickheads about Erica's art in OT. I do.

Really happy for that team

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
For me, its still heads and shoulders above all the JLA/authority/ultimates/widescreen comics that have come out since. There's a plethora of ideas in Damn near every issue that screams "COMICS!!!". I reread it about once a year or so, it's in my top ten comic book runs.
I honestly think if the art and lettering weren't so dated (for me, that aspect has aged much worse than, say, 80s comics), I would have liked it more.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017

I can't judge it fairly because it's totally clouded by nostalgia for me. That was the hypest stuff ever to me as a kid. I remember following Rock of Ages as it was releasing, travelling like two hours to the comic store, and the issue with the dark future utterly rocked me because it was so bleak. That along with the Busiek/Perez Avengers run that started a bit later pretty much made me go from a kid who read comics to a full-on comic book fan.

I got this one Christmas while growing up and I studied it to death. I still have it, all dog-eared and creased. Good memories:
51sjKXHFz0L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Morrison's JLA run is so great, it's cape comics at their purest and every arc is pretty much an event comic in and of itself. The way people talk about Porter's art you'd think it was near indecipherable scribbles or something, but it's low-key great and a really nice match for the stories Morrison was telling. Like JC said, it's just pure comics for the sake of being comics.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I read the first volume of Sunstone since everyone was talking about it (I have the whole set from that humble bundle). It was very sweet but would probably require an explanation if my wife saw me reading it LOL.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, in the way Morrison tells it, he was gonna pick up from when Moore quit doing the strip in Warrior. Gonna quote the man himself:

Eventually Moore picks the series back up at Eclipse Comics, and then Neil Gaiman comes and follows up there.
Ah the story I heard was that Grant was the third man on tap to take over. Interesting.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Morrison JLA had the Starro invasion, right? I think that was one of the first comics I read with Aztek.

Only comic with Aztek. Minus Orlando's JLA with new Aztek.

Oct 25, 2017
Morrison's JLA is plagued with poor art and I cant believe some people are comparing it favorably to The Authority/Ultimates. Its a fun comic marred by bad art which should put it at a considerably lower level in a visual medium than comics that are drawn by Frank Quitely and Bryan Hitch and you cant change my mind unless you give me money

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Morrison's JLA is plagued with poor art and I cant believe some people are comparing it favorably to The Authority/Ultimates. Its a fun comic marred by bad art which should put it at a considerably lower level in a visual medium than comics that are drawn by Frank Quitely and Bryan Hitch and you cant change my mind unless you give me money
What about JLA Earth One then? Morrison JLA WITH Quitely 🤔

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly prefer the Howard Porter drawn issues to the non-Howard Porter drawn issues. There's such a crazy 90s ass energy to his work, all speed lines and yelling and wide eyes and imagination. Big heavy shadows, lasers with kirby dots going off on every other pages. The other Morrison JLA artists are "better", but the energy is gone. Too clean, too formal, for a book where the JLA are defending the Earth from an alien invasion on top of preparing to stop Arameggedon from annihilating the multiverse.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I really liked JLA. The art wasn't very much to my liking but it wasn't specufically Porter and more, the style and coloring of that era? Porter's faces were weird, sure, but it was pretty easy to understand what was going on compared to others. But meanwhile Morrison is just, brimming with originality and ideas. It's great.

But it did get kinda overwhelming in the fact that there's so much destruction and world-ending threats like all the time non stop

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
How much $?

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Morrison's JLA run is still my favorite run of that series. And one of my more enjoyable Morrison runs. I like it when Morrison doesn't go too far out there. And his approach of the justice league where every arc was this monumental crisis which is why the JL even exists was great. I do enjoy the foundation he left that gave us some great Waid and Kelly runs too

In other news. Re-reading Hellboy. This is my second time reading this series. I really enjoy this chronological released Omnibus format. It helps show the evolution of the series. Plus one of the pains of mignola verse is all the minis, arcs, orders, etc. I know it's not a big thing but still nice to see it sequenced for you.

Just finished reading the Chained coffin. I feel like this is the issue where Hellboy really starts to find its groove.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really like Morrison's JLA, I thought it was just kinda there. My favorite part by far was Earth 2.

I will say I read it after reading his Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Batman, and X-Men full runs, all of which I thought were amazing.

Last edited:

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Batman Begins > TDK > TDKR
TDKR is worth watching for Bane. Yes. It is. No lies. Fuck off if you disagree.
Should I keep reading Venom: Space Knight? I generally like stuff that doesn't take itself too seriously but it strikes me as kind of inconsequential.
It's completely inconsequential but very fun. Once Sandoval hops on art when they go back to Earth it becomes a set-up for the new status quo so it's not great.
Yes. It is the same one that had Sandman in it.
I'm pretty sure I read that, Rock of Ages, and Prometheus scattershot through trades through my local library.

Fun shit

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the final Spider-Gwen OHC was quietly cancelled. Sucks

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped trusting Marvel to finish OHC runs when they stopped releasing the Slott ASM OHCs right before the end. They had like 2 left and just decided to skip them and do the last arc in one instead. Not to mention how they handled the Clone Conspiracy HC and the Worldwide OHC with the same issues lol.

They will probably finish Aaron's Thor since its so high profile, but even then im skeptical since its taking so long for each to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.